Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I'm thinking that they didn't do the math when they put together the tournament win/loss penalties. The Thor tournament has rank rewards up to 3000 points, but the top ranked players have been stable in the 1100-1300 point range for days. Presuming a pyramid sort of structure to the ELO, they'd need several orders of magnitude more players for anyone to even get close to 3000 points!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

You don't need to expand your storage, you can also open up some room by selling or fusing covers. Once you have an open slot you can go to your cache and pick which cover you'd like to pull out (but you don't have to pull one out if you don't want to).

You can't fuse or sell covers in your cache until you pull them out into your main collection.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Kravdraa posted:

Wow, sometimes the AI just decides that you're going to lose. Just got utterly wrecked by a team that I had reasonably out-levelled, mostly due to an enormous cascading clusterfuck that involved at least 3 extra move-criticals and dealt 1700 damage to my Iron Man. Reminds me of the original Puzzle Quest when stuff like that happens.

Especially with higher levels of powers, winning or losing is just a lucky cascade one way or the other. If I get my Thor powers up before the other team, they'll generally all fall pretty quickly. If the AI lucks into a purple cascade, then its aggressive recon -> team stun -> completely hosed by damage powers and I'm out. It's gotten to the point where I just quit and take the point hit if the AI manages to get some powers up (and same with minion battles).

So I've hit 5-5-3 and 4-4-5 on Iron Man and Storm, and now I'm getting a message that I've hit the power level cap for these characters. Presumable, this is because I've hit the max level cap of 50? Does this mean that you can't max powers of 3-power 1-star characters? Or do I just need to level them a bit? If so, that's kind of lovely - I probably would have gone 5-3-5 on IM and Storm, had I known! Do 2* characters have similar restrictions, even though they have an 85 level cap? I'm 4-3-4 on Thor, so I already can't go 5-5-3, but I'll just sell any green covers I pick up if you can't max him.

E: Here's my fakebook thingy: https://www.facebook.com/stick.man.7503

VVV Thanks! Is this anywhere in the interface, or is it just a pleasant surprise when you hit the max? It's kind of lovely. VVV

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 27, 2013

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Kravdraa posted:

My Iron Man will end up at 5/5/3 also (daily reward tomorrow will give the last point), mostly because of cover availability. However, I'm quite happy with that at the moment. I use Armoured Assault quite a lot, so having that maxed is nice. Of course, the blue power's a beast when you can use it, so maybe that would have been better.

How's the Storm (modern I assume?) working out at high levels? I've got plenty of covers for her (as does everyone I guess) but haven't put much ISO into her yet - debating whether to level Modern or Classic.

Thor is my heavy hitter, so my teams are built around his red/yellow abilities, hence the preference for a blue Iron Man. Storm Classic is nice, but I use her a lot less than I did now that I've got Daken to back up Thor.

Looking at Thor's abilities, I think 5-4-4 might actually be the sweet spot. That gives a 6 AP red strike and 12 AP yellow strike. Putting 5 points into the green ability only takes it down to 13 AP, which is only useful if you get a 4 or 5 match (or one-off) in there somewhere.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I'm now convinced that the top progression rewards are just Demiurge trolls. Five to ten thousand points gets you X-force Wolverines in the Unstable ISO-8 event. with roughly 100-150 points every two days, there are about 600-900 points in the event, without grinding the 2-4 point fights. Grinding 4000 points at an average of 3 pts per fight would take ~70 hours of straight play, assuming 5 minute fights (and never losing)...

Stickman fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 28, 2013

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The problem with sneaky-powerful Captain America is that he's really only sneaky-powerful when you hit L5 Red/Blue, and 19 yellow AP take a long time to gather and are generally better spent elsewhere (like say, doing 1000 damage with Thor). Maybe I'm just bitter that I'm stuck at 2-2-2 with no sign of maxing R/B.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah, because of the way points are lost when attacked, 1500 points is basically impossible in a thousand-player bracket, except perhaps by player collusion (which is also basically impossible). Once you get ~200 points above the main herd of players in the bracket, you'll only gain a pittance for winning, but lose 30-50 points per loss. I'd like to think Demiurge just didn't run the math on their point model, but more likely they just leave those impossible goals hanging out to encourage whales to blow money on health packs.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Shwqa posted:

Yes and no. It is the cheapest team wide stun. But it cost 7 ap cost to level 4 costing 4ap. That means it is almost half as slow to make webs. 8 webs and 12 black ap means you instant win. So slower your web rate is generally bad.

The problem with Venom's web ability is that it actually creates green web tiles from basic tiles of other colors. The more you use it, the greener the board gets, to the point where you'll likely create matches on creation before putting down 8 webs (which is also 32 AP, so you'll need to make a match in there somewhere). With the team stun, you'll at least get a free match, letting you set up nice 5-matches!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The PvP interface seems to be randomly wrong about the opposing team's composition. Taking on a Spidey with a L1 blue web is very different from L5, game!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Huh, I've just noticed the AI considers environment tiles higher value than all other similar combinations.

Yep! That's why I never use modern storm's red ability (smashing all environment tiles). Leaving them on the board is like free turns! Same with off-color 4 matches. Sometime I'll deliberately set them up so the AI takes them over AP it can actually use :downs:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I've been using 30 Venom, 50 Daken and 50 Thor. It takes down Storm/Thor teams easily unless they get a (un)lucky cascade (at which point I just quit and reload). I like to think that running Daken reduces the number of people willing to attack me, since they'll be taking stronger hits while loading powers, but hitting 1K was still a bitch.

E: Daken is also nice for eating one-off Mjolnirs, since you don't have to worry about running the venom level over and over to heal him back up.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 4, 2013

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Jesus, the end of the Venom event was insane. I was in the top 25 with about 20 minutes to go, then lost 300 points in the 2 minutes it took for a match. Apparently if you're not running storm its just not possible to kill dudes fast enough! Top 500...

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I've been liking this game, but I think the high-level pvp is a lot less fun than low-level pvp. At high levels, the skills become so powerful that nearly every match is just a question of who gets their skills up first and then sweeps the other team. Since you're smarter than the AI, you can usually pull it off, but sometimes you'll get unlucky and then there's pretty much nothing you can do.

I'd also hate to be just starting the game now! It's pretty much designed around the rich getting richer...

That said, the core game is still fun and I'm looking forward to the next episode!

VVV It's not so much a problem with being able to destroy the enemy team without having to heal (that usually happens) - it's just that there's really no depth of strategy and entirely too much randomness after a certain point (to either the matches themselves or to ranking). VVV

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 8, 2013

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

OK Octopus posted:

It is breathtaking how shamelessly each successive update is a bigger and bigger gently caress you to the player.

Haha! Now you can't enhance powers without premium currency!

Haha! Now your maximum healing items are halved!

Haha! Now leveling up doesn't refill health!

gently caress these guys.

You forgot the biggest gently caress of all - retreating takes a third of you total health. The leveling to heal was never sustainable, but in a game where you can easily be completely hosed by one bad AP cascade (especially at high levels), retreating was the last bastion of sanity against the RNG. Especially when the last 15 minutes are all that matters for rankings within the 50, it seems like this change is primarily to sell health packs (now priced at ~$1 for you whole team!) And if they keep minion damage ridiculously high, the next PVE event is going to be a lot of waiting around for health packs in order to get screwed again by an unmatchable counter in a corner doing 2000 damage to your whole team (or a whooole lotta venom runs to try to heal in between retreats). I'm probably just getting old and cranky, but as much as I like puzzle quest, I'm quickly losing patience with this puzzle quest.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Erebus posted:

I'm not seeing the flurry of activity I expect in the last 15 minutes of a tournament. Maybe everyone exhausted all their heals.

Yeah, I think the retreat changes and lack of level healing really cut back the end-of-tournament flurry. Its actually kind of nice, though you can still get randomly dogpiled!

E: Okay, I see what Shwqa is talking about with boosts. I had no idea that you could buy boosts with ISO, because I'd never actually run out before. That changes everything!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 11, 2013

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Did the way that enemy match damage work also change in the patch that broke boost damage attack computations? I could have sworn that prior to the juggernaut tournament, damage was done by whoever was currently active on the enemy team (i.e. if the active enemy lvl 5 Black Widow matches red then you'll take her pitiful damage, even if there is a maxed Thor sitting behind her). Now it seems like enemy match damage is always the highest damage amongst the enemy team, with boosts correctly accounted for. In the Iron Man tournament, that meant basic enemy environment matches giving 24 AP, despite your own team jumping in front of boosted IM to match for 9. In the Thor tournament it seems to mean taking hundreds of damage per match until Thor goes down.

I guess this, and boosted damage not factoring into the attack computation for your team, could be intentional to make the game a bit tougher, but it does make massive damage skills even more important, and reduces strategic choice when attacking. I guess the revelation that you can buy boosts with ISO makes up for it a bit, but having Daken occasionally get one-shot by a cascaded 5-match from an enemy storm is quite annoying!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Oh my, 4633 damage from a double-crit-one-red match!

Shwqa posted:

Edit: Oops wrong hawkeye. Hawkeye modern owns bones.

I was wondering what you were talking about! Modern Hawkeye is great with Daken and Wolverine for shunting all your damage onto the regenerators and dishing out massive damage.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I got a green Thor cover, but I already have it at 3 and really prefer his red and yellow abilities. At the same time, no idea how long it'll take me to get 4 more yellow covers, and he's currently at a cap of 54.

I went 5-4-4 because 12 AP yellow ability is enough. That's two 3-matches with boosts, and 11 AP is pretty marginal increase. It will only let you strike faster (with boosts) off a lucky 5-match, or a 3 and 2+crit, but those are pretty rare. Having Green at 4 brings only brings you to 14, but I feel like I end up at 14 vs 15 more often than 11 v 12.

Regardless, 5-5-3 and 5-5-4 are basically identical since Thor's skill levels don't directly affect damage.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Puweyxil posted:

In the Thor tournament, which teams are you avoiding?

The only team I've skipped was an 85 Thor, 115 Ragnarok, 85 Model 40. And that's only because I wasn't close enough to one-shotting Ragnarok with the boosted opening Mjolnir. My level 83 Thor does 2657 damage out of the gate with the red attack, and 5312 damage with yellow (enough to one-shot all but level 85 Thors, and they'll only have a sliver of life left).

Basically, Storm is useless for defense in this tournament, because she'll be one-shot by the opening salvo regardless of level. Thor follows soon after with a small modicum of luck, leaving just your third man. Hence, pretty much the only way to make your team's defense stand out is to have significantly more that 2700 health on a fast and hard hitter, which is basically just a high-level Ragnarok (and good luck getting one)! Even annoying characters like max blue spiderman or wolverine aren't very threatening when they go down in the opening shot or with two red matches. Model 40 helps a bit, but unless you've got a ton of covers, he'll still go down quickly enough that he's not very threatening.

Short answer: No maxed Ragnarok? Don't bother with defense, just horde some ISO for boosts and try to hit milestones in concentrated pushes.

E: I've been using 83 Thor - 69 Daken - 53 CStorm (for the times when I actually take a hit). Anyone with a maxed Thor can kill me no problem.

VVV I barely made it earlier. Now I'm back to 600 :) Try the middle of the day sometime, if you can swing it. VVV

Stickman fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 12, 2013

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Shwqa posted:

I got Loki from the heroic token, so now I'm interested in the Loki prize. Im in a slow bracket, which is mix blessing. At 700 points I'm not a big target, but I'm not getting the sweet high point rewards.

Your opponents are drawn globally, not just from your bracket. If you skip enough, you should start seeing the high point opponents you need to hit 1K+.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Tried to see if I could hit 1200 and got stalled at 1100. Seems like it needs to a very specific time of day (or some maxed 3 stars) to hit. Or more luck than I've been having.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

delfin posted:

Son of a bitch. They're boosting whoever is the featured villain in Lightning Rounds now.

While my mid-level Doom is helped by this (level 50-ish, Summon Demons does about 1250/turn), it turns him into a glass cannon by putting him in front of everything. The next time around when I haven't burned all my heals right before on the Thornament, maybe I can place reasonably.

The Ragnarok one, on the other hand, gently caress that unless you already have a leveled Ragnarok, which defeats the purpose of the lightning round in the first place.

They're boosting all of the villains. I discovered this by getting stomped by 2AP, 1.1K Ragnarok strikes. Whoever thought 3x boosts to 3* characters would be fun can kindly go develop some other game, thank you. Oh, and this applies to environment tiles too (like the IM 40 tournament), so have fun with the 5 thorned roses on the first turn! At least Dr. Doom properly boosts your teams environment tiles too, unlike IM 40.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 13, 2013

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Oh, man... 60 point spread in the top ten and the #2 started throwing matches at 1 minute. Threw three matches, and I think I finished in 8, but I guess we'll see!

E: Daken is awesome, and I only regret leveling classic storm past 69. Now she steals all the green matches. Finally getting more wolverine covers should fix that at least.

E2: Top ten!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 16, 2013

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Healing for everyone or just him?

Just tried this out - its only for wolverine.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Now that the widow stomping is over, I have the big decision - raise IM 40's yellow for the levels, or just sell the cover and shoot for 5-5-1 (someday)? I can't imagine ever using his yellow ability if it cost more than 6 AP, but selling a 3-star is just painful (especially after pulling 6 purple spiders before a single blue).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Helical Nightmares posted:

This may not be the most useful answer to your question but here was my experience:

My bracket's top 1 oscillated between 700 and 800 points from Friday on. Seemed like anything above 700 would be crabbed down quickly. I hovered stably around 650, but I attribute that to having a lv 49 Grey Widow along with the typical maxed Thor/Classic Storm core. I figure most were like me and saw the leveled Widow then just hit skip.

Personally if I came across someone with a 30+ Modern Storm I automatically skipped it because on average I would take more damage than the match was worth from obnoxious Hailstorm spams.

As a counter-point, I deliberately attacked ever leveled widow team I came across, since every widow match against my dummy widow was guaranteed to set off storm. Leveled widow teams were probably the shortest matches! The only teams I had trouble against were spideynoks, because gently caress that noise and anyone who lucked/cheated/bought there way into one!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

seravid posted:

What? Where I come from we call that Hard Mode.

Hey, there I am! I was just planning on getting into the top 15 after discovering how easy Imposter is to far, but just kept going. The second place dude noticed me and started grinding away, so now that I've run out of Iso for boosts, I've just given up in #3. Good enough for me!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Russad posted:

I got more coins than I thought I would from the Heroic Event. Now I'm sitting on 2200 coins and I'm just not sure what to do with them. I already have 30 slots in the roster, and it's a staggering 400 coins per slot right now. I guess I could get up to 35 (assuming the cost stays constant until then - if it's consistent with earlier tiers, I expect it to increase again at 35).

With the new roster changes there's no reason to have more slots than the number of characters you want. I think there's currently only 26 characters, so there's really no point going over that. With the rate of free heroic tokens, you're probably better off saving to spend on 3* powers, or the expensive packs to unlock 3* powers, or sitting on them until more characters are released.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 19, 2013

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Starrett posted:

Did the tournament just lock anyone else out? I can't click back in and it's greyed out.

I'm out too. Happened after I skipped a bunch of matches looking for someone I could actually fight, so hopefully this is server problems and not some stealth skipping patch...

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

BGrifter posted:

I'm actually starting to wonder if there is an argument to be made for 5/5/3 Wolverine. The main point against the red ability is that you'd always have Thor who has a vastly superior red ability. With all the character restricted tournaments that's not always the case. The last two yellow abilities are the smaller heal for when less than 8 tiles are on the board, and guaranteed full heal regardless of number of yellow tiles.

Not really - less than 8 yellow tiles is fairly common, but taking red to 5 just gets you a 10 AP attack over a 12 AP attack. That's the same number of basic matches, though it might occasionally be useful with match 4s. With Wolverine, however, you'll generally want to sit on your red AP as long as possible anyway, so you can throw out more of those sweet sweet strike tiles.

Basically, I sincerely doubt that Red 5 would be a noticeable advantage, even if Thor is not in the mix. Yellow 5 is super useful for tanking and avoiding medkit use.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

I think 5/5/3 is objectively The Best Way unless you have another character that uses Purple/Black that you want to use him as support for. I could see Recharge/Aggressive Recon combo being a pain in the rear end, but it's a heavy outlay to get there - the 2 AP difference between level 1 and level 2 Recharge is really significant when most of the time you're just spending it on powering Mjolnir's Might's.

Yeah, the only real decision on IM 40 is 5-5-3 or 5-5-1. Recharge starts getting way too expensive after 3, especially when your countdown tiles might get matched. 5-5-1 is ideal for hammer charging, but you'll miss out on some levels later. It's too bad that the new recruit system still lets your covers expire, or else I'd recommend just sitting on extra yellow covers until you hit max level and then deciding if the extra levels are worth the lost speed.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

As Bandire said, You'll find 3 to 2 AP on All Tied Up is actually a much greater bonus than 6 to 3. Your getting another 50% bonus in the number of webs you can shoot out, and since the stun in based on the number of web tiles, you'll be doing 5 turn / 2 AP stuns after only 8 AP spent (vs 12 with 3AP ATU). Also using boosts will let you completely shut down the opposing team turn one, which you can keep going if you can make even one blue match!

Definitely best 3750 I've spent!

Bandire posted:

Edit again: My Grey Magneto is at 4/3/4. I was planning on skilling him at 4/5/4, but I just got another blue cover from a standard token. I was thinking that destroying 40% of the board for for 2/3 the ap cost and one turn shorter timer was a decent trade off. Am I going to regret raising his red skill to 5? I kinda think his purple skill has to be at 5.

My Magnetos aren't decent, but my guess is that yes, you'll regret taking Iron Hammer to 5. From my experience with 5-green-generating Widow, I'd say rank 5 purple isn't absolutely necessary. You'd still be able to make at least one 5-match, but rank 5 will regularly let you make 2 5-matches or extend the legs of you 'T' matches to pick up rows as well.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 27, 2013

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

death .cab for qt posted:

Just a heads up for these PVE things: fight once to get into a bracket and then stop. Chill out. Wait until the last 12 hours or so, then blast through the whole thing at once. I ended up #8 in Florida by doing that and it worked really drat well.

Yeah, I feel like they didn't even try with the rubber banding math on these events. I'm a little ticked because I started the savage event with six hours left, assuming that my repeatable a would regenerate enough for a second round before the end of the event. Now I'm stuck ~300 with only about 10 points per repeatable while new joins blow past me.

Between this and their progression rewards, I feel like D3 could really use a mathematician, or at least maybe run some simulations!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Had to kill my whole team throwing matches, but managed to snag #2 :)

Also, ran into this guy a couple times:

He didn't get to make a single match. I'm not sure if that's cool, or a commentary on how broken Rag+cStorm is. Probably the latter.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Is there a cap on boost rewards or something? I've been trying to knock off some low level rewards and doing Osborn's Goons in the Juggernaut map. The three one-star boost rewards are still available, but after six goes at it I've just gotten 20 crystals each time. I know random chance is random, but since that should be replacing the three-star reward it seems odd.

I think they changed it so that there's a straight up 50/50 chance of getting a new reward each time you complete a mission (after the first time). From any given 20 crystal reward, there's about a 3% chance of going 6-in-a-row without a good reward. Low, but not unreasonably so...

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Erebus posted:

I don't think joining late gets you in a slacker bracket so much as it gets you a bracket where nobody has had time to get very far ahead. It also gives you a lower score which makes you less of a target for others. Usually when I join late there are at least 10 other people (maybe more in the bigger brackets) whose points totals are climbing the whole time. Getting #1 hasn't really been made "easier", because you're still competing with people with better teams. The scores are just smaller.

So it may be more possible to get to the top because of the limited time, but you are definitely not getting the "I'm at #1 with 200 points more than the next guy because no one's trying" type of thing you'd associate with a real slacker bracket.

Starting late gets you 5-10 people who end up with top tier scores, but starting early will land you in the middle of a whole pack. You'll still need some effort to get whatever placement you're trying to get, but it's a hell of a lot easier than with 50-100 people all within 100 points of each other! With a top-tier team and boosts it really only takes 30-40 minutes to work your way up to the top score tier (overall, not within your bracket), so there's really no reason to start early unless you're doing boost-less ISO grinding and don't really care about the placement rewards.

You may not get a total slacker bracket, but starting late is usually way less intense than starting early.

Jibo posted:

It's the amount of points the leaders have and your relative rank within each individual "event" that determines the points you get in said event. I got a slack bracket for the main event and have been making sure I join the side events right when they become available then letting them sit until their almost up to grind them out. This method has been working very well for me and I was first in my main event bracket by a large margin for a while.

As for getting into a Slacker Bracket, I'd say that's pretty much luck at this point. I feel like a lot of times when I join up at the last minute there's always at least a couple of other people who are trying to rush to the top as well. I've been joining brackets at 6:00 AM EST (when I start work) on the day events end and have been getting middling results. I definitely feel you are increasing your risk of running into try-hards or whales if you join right away though.

See, that's what I thought, but I've been in events with folks thousands of points above me and still only received 10-20 points per mission. And had my repeatable mission go dry at rank 500! I originally thought that the repeatable missions reset over time, but it looks like its purely rubber-banding, and literally impossible to place highly without doing the IW missions.

Other times, though, I've been close to top ranked and received ~500 points per mission, so who knows?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 9, 2013

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

New Leaf posted:

Also, why the gently caress is Classic Hawkeye a reward in this tournament? Who the hell even uses him at this point?

Hawkeye Classic? Oh, you mean 100 ISO.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Erebus posted:

It's definitely less of a hassle than starting early, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying it's not the same as getting a "true" slacker bracket. I think with this Dark Avengers event I'm going to try joining at some terrible time in the middle of the night and see where that puts me.

That's a good idea - maybe join like 12 hours off the event end time and try to get folks who won't be awake for the end of the event?

WetSpink posted:

The one downside to slacker brackets is that you're a lot less likely to get the high, like 700+ point progression rewards, you have to weigh what is worth more to you.

In PvP events, your opponents are drawn from everyone in the event, not just your bracket. You can climb as high as anyone else, whether your bracket is slacking or not. With the crazy rubber-banding, you're definitely correct about PvE events, it hasn't been too much of a problem recently. Even slacker brackets have gone over the top progression rewards in the last few PvE events.

omnibobb posted:

I wish there was a counter to see how many times I've done the repeatable Alaska mission. I couldn't do anything above it. I finished the latest Alaska at #4 and was up to 2 a couple of times.

Did your repeatable missions never stop giving points? What's your rank in the main event? I'm becoming convinced that the rubber-banding in the sub-events is based solely on your position in the main event. I'm #3 in the main event, and I'm sitting at 1600 points in Florida and getting no points from any of my repeatable missions, despite the top players in my Florida bracket having ~9000 points. Similarly, I'm at 22 points in Savage (to the top player's 5000), and I'm still only getting ~10 points per match. When I dropped to rank 100 in the main event, I was getting ~300 points per mission.

Kind of a weird system, since it means that ranking highly in the main event makes it literally impossible to rank highly in the sub-events, but I guess its a good way get newer players some free ISO. Until everyone else starts intentionally tanking their main event score.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 9, 2013

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Whalley posted:

That one Level 115 Ragnarok mission, which for most of us was our first introduction to Ragnarok, kind of tricked everyone. Then, we all got to use him in lightning rounds and thought he was badass. I actually sold mine before the update that let us hold on to prizes if we have a full stable because he's just not that great.

With boosts, Ragnarok will let you destroy any team within 1-3 turns, even outside of lightning rounds. Use Storm as a backup - the green AP from Thunderclap lets you storm your way into more red AP to cast more Thunderclaps until everything is dead. If you can make a single red match at the start of the battle, 9 red AP seems to let you cycle indefinitely ~90% of the time, but even 6 red AP will usually work with a green-heavy starting board.

I usually use Classic Storm because I usually get enough blue AP for a wind storm stun before I need to let the enemy takes a turn (if ever). Modern Storm is probably slightly nicer as a AP generator, since you'll usually want to cast multiple Lightning Storms to clear the green board and hoover the red that falls in its place, and classic storm is only more efficient when you have >20 green AP. Classic Storm also makes you more a pain in the rear end for other Ragnarok teams - Thunderclap won't one-shot her, so they're guaranteed to take at least 250 damage across the board unless they can pull a stun or enough AP for a heavier hitter.

The combo is powerful enough that it pretty much trivializes any content, so I fully expect it to get nerfed at some point. That ridiculous repeatable mission in Alaska with >200 enemies? Not so bad when they only get one turn. Same for those max Rag/Magneto/Doom teams in the lightning rounds, or any other team in the game. I'm not sure why I hardly ever see other Rag/Storm teams in PvP...

We rarely get a choice of third slot anymore, but here's what I've been kicking around:
Daken: A surprisingly good choice, if you can stand the animations. The Clap-Storm cycle produces tons of green matches, so you'll quickly fill red gems with strike tiles boosting Clap damage. The real benefit is from strike tiles preventing Thunderclap from turning red gems to green, which means more red gems available for chain matches or Storm. Noticeably boosts the infinite cycle threshold of Clap-Storm, and works whether Daken is on your team or the enemies!

Spider-Man: A good choice that can help lock down the enemy team if you're Clap-Storm cycle breaks and you'll usually get enough incidental yellow AP to heal by the end (if you need it). Doesn't help kill the enemy team faster or fortify the Clap-Storm cycle, and Storm will often suck up web and protect tiles, so I only really use him when I need the heal.

Thor: His yellow ability will throw out an extra 2200 damage every cycle or two.

Black Widow (Grey Suit): Her Sniper Rifle is a good finisher, and the AP cost is a non issue. Her purple ability can easily create 4+ 5-matches on a full green board, and help keep the Clap-Storm cycle going. I only have her at 2-4-4, so I haven't been able to try her yet.

Black Widow (Modern or Original): AP steal from an off color helps boost the main cycle, and both heal and stun are good for emergencies.

Bullseye: Annoying animations, but it's pretty easy to get two critical tiles and enough AP for his 7K(!) arrow strike.

Loki: Fire off Illusions on a green heavy board to make a ton of matches and pull down more red gems for Storm to suck up.

The Hood: More selective AP generation is always a good thing, but by the time you have 15 yellow AP, the cycle is usually pretty settled. Useless under level 5 pistols, since ending the turn defeats the whole purpose of the Clap-Storm cycle.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Well, that a dumb double post!