Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I just started this game for some godawful reason. Was there ever an informative OP? I have no idea what I should be doing to make my team useful. I have a handful of 2-stars and a 3-star grey black widow. Is there a reason to keep 1-star heroes around? The only one i still have in rotation is iron man, and that's mostly to make use of his 3 moves.

Tell me newbie stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

This guide is telling me that I want to be using 1* characters until i'm done with the single player missions. Why is that? Just because there's more covers available so they can level up higher? I rolled some 2* characters like human torch and a single 3*, and i've been selling a lot of my 1* pages like juggernaut because I don't like juggernaut and I didn't think I would need them. How boned am I?

This guide says I shouldn't think about 2* characters until my 1*s are 30-50. Is that right?? Did I newb trap really hard?

"At this stage of the game, your 1* roster should be around level 30-50 and strong enough to complete almost all of the missions in the prologue. At this point, you're going to want to start figuring out what 2* characters you should focus on."

I still have iron man at level 30, because he at least has all his moves, but i didn't keep any of the other 1*s around.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 27, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Well, poo poo, should I delete/restart my game then? I'm about halfway done with the venom chapter.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It seems like I'm not getting team-ups because I need to be part of a guild or whatever. Is there any room in Pizza Dog?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Cool. I just asked to join [Harold Bird]

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Oh god, that's new? How many health packs did you get before?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Are 2* Captain Marvel and Classic Storm any good? They are currently the only 2* heroes that I have all 3 colors for, and I was thinking about starting to max them up. Right now i'm on the final chapter of Dark Reign and just trying to get through the rest of single-player.

After i'm done with that, it's basically just grinding events and multiplayer for stuff, right? Or is there something else to the post-PvE that I should know about?

edit: I forgot 2* thor, I have all 3 of his too (but only 3)

I also have a single page (blue) for GirlThor, and I've been using her to sort of tank for me in single player. Is this a good strategy that might help me avoid spending all my iso leveling up Juggernaut?? Or is the end of Dark Reign definitely going to take a full party of lv 50 1*s?

Oh, and one more question! Is there something I don't understand about vs rankings? Because I am PRETTY FUCKIN' SURE I am not rank 26 in all of shield simulator vs mode.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 29, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I misspoke earlier, as i'm actually doing both. I'm 60 something in the simulator, and rank 21 in whatever the green globe is with jean grey.

PS

Gettin' real tired of seeing the words "Yelena Belova"

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 30, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ares looks kinda bad. I have two yellow pages for him and I don't get why he's good

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, I got accepted. Though Goonery doesn't seem to be super active. Lemme know if anything opens up in pizza dog.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ughh, I'm in 4th place with 6 hours left to go on this psylocke mission. I don't want to be glued to this thing all day, but I REALLY want the full set of rocket + groot. I already have one cover for them, and it would be my first 3* with more than one cover collected. Is it worth using some gold to shield myself for a few hours?

I'm batting way above my weight class here, but with all the team-ups y'all have been throwing my way I think I have a chance at this. They seem like a really solid hero. Worth?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ok. I'ma buy a 3-hour shield, and see where I stand after it runs out. I have set an alarm on my phone to notify me when i'm becoming vulnerable again. I did my best to queue up 3 opponents that I think I have a good chance of beating, and I'll blitz them when the end is near. Anything else I should do to prepare? Maybe spam request team-ups to ensure I have 3 that hit way over my level?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Despite there being no indication of this, you cannot purchase the same shield twice in a row.

Dick move, puzzle quest.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

40 minutes left, and I'm still in 5th place. I put up another shield, and I'm trying to decide if I should drop the shield and start attacking soon. I'm 20 away from 4th and 19 away from 6th. Should I drop my shield for an attack before the round ends, or just keep the shield up and hope no one manages to squeeze their way past me?

The 4 people above me all have shields on. This is the first time I've actually tried to get a good rank on one of these, and I don't know what to expect when he final minutes roll around.

If I SHOULD attack, when should I do it?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

God damnit, 7th place. I decided to start attacking with 18 minutes left, got 5 quick wins in a row, and still lost points from where I was due to all the times I got attacked while it was happening. But the threshold for 5th was still higher than the points I had with my shield up. I feel like there isn't anything I could have done differently to win. I was cheesing all my level 150+ team ups to get quick wins, and I still couldn't earn points faster than I was losing them.

I spent almost all my free time today doing this. Moreover, it was a round where iron man was boosted, so I'll be in even worse shape next time.

That was my absolute best and it wasn't good enough. :smith:

Now I'm not gonna have all the covers for rocket/griot, and probably won't be able to use them effectively.

What a waste of gold. I'm so loving discouraged right now.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 5, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I would have used him just fine :(

Even with just 3 covers I have him at 53, which ties 2* captain marvel for my highest level dude (not counting my 2 lonely 4* covers). Having all 3 covers instead of 0,1,2 would have made a big difference for me.

I'm barely even into the 2* phase of the game, a 3* with all his covers would have been huge.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Wait why is using 300 taco tokens better than using 1 token 300 times?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Is there a way to tank your score in something intentionally? I sometimes find myself in a situation where I want a 200 globe reward but also want the reward for having a low rank.

For instance, now. gently caress daken! I am not using fake wolverine. I don't even like real wolverine.

I understand you defend with the last party you attacked with - Should I just put up some lovely level 15 dudes and retreat? Should I just be starting fights and retreating from them constantly? That seems to work, but very very slowly.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 6, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

21st Cherry boy posted:

You defend with the last team you won with, so make sure you have an easy team queued up to win against. If you can see the starter (seed) teams keep one of them ready.

Aha! I'm glad I asked.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Holy cripes! I got the missing Grocket cover from a standard token :unsmith:

The universe heard my anguish.

Also, thanks for the advice about tanking my score. I managed to earn 200 points for an Ares cover, then drop my rank down to 250 for Classic Storm.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 7, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

P.S, is it just me or did this game steal the X-men cinematic theme?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Should I just be selling my 4* then? Right now I'm breaking into the 2* game, and only have a couple 3s with more than one cover. Then there's two spots taken up by Nick Fury and Girlthor, who I understand I'll probably never find again, but you gotta start SOMEWHERE right?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

ME!

Harold Bird

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Thanks Sefer.

So if I keep my 4*s, which are at level 70, is that scaling things weird for me? My highest level 2* is currently Cpt. Marvel at 60, most of the rest 40-55.

There are some strange, unintuitive things in this game. Thanks to whoever was telling me about the defense system, as I was able to abuse the heck out of it with this dr. doom event. Sailed up the ladder to grab a globe point award, then with my last win I used some crappy level 15s against my remaining seed team. Then I was able to sit back and watch my rank plummet back down to 200 so I can get the OBW cover.

OBW is as great as everyone says, but when I play with her I tend to get the song Old Man River stuck in my head.

"oold blaack widdooow, that ooldd blaack widoow,"

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

So you mean to say that, because my highest two characters are two level 70 4* guys, that i'm experiencing scaling for a level 70 player? Because no one else is above 60 right now. Maybe I should dump them until I get my team above 70... What all scales that way? Single Player? Multi?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I now have full covers for Juggs, IM35, Cpt Marvel 2, Wolvie 2, OBW, Classic Storm and Human Torch. On their way up we have Hawkguy, MN Magneto, Classic Thor and Ares. Who is worth maxing first, and who else should I seek to complement these guys? Right now everybody with full covers is in the 50s or early 60s, and the level grinding is starting to slow down a little.

Kamala and Grocket are sitting around with 3 and 4 covers, as well. I really like the characters but they're locked in the low 50s until I can come up with some more covers. I have a few random 3s from when I was just recruiting things without thinking about it - Gray Widow, Psylocke and Hulk. I wouldn't mind losing one or two, but I don't want to do it frivolously.

I've also got some covers rotting in the loading bay - 2 Red 1 Yellow CptAmerica2*, 2 Black Bullseye3*, Pink Falcon, Green Quicksilver, Red Vision. In the next day or two I've gotta sell off some of these babies. Anyone in there worth keeping?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 16, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Roster slots are going to be your biggest challenge as a newcomer and as loathe as I am to suggest it, you might want to consider blowing some money to have enough to work with if you find you're enjoying the game.

I've already dropped around ten bux into the game because I've been enjoying it, but I have 20 roster slots now. How many do I really need?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Woof. I dunno if I like the game THAT much.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm starting to see why people recommend that, btw. I've had 4 days in a row of health packs and iso clumps from the taco vault.

edit: So ok, if I'm going to concentrate on a team of 3 and get them to 94, which ones would you recommend? Here's the lists again:

Full Covers, Right Configuration

Cpt. Marvel **
Human Torch **
Black Widow **

Full Covers, Wrong Spread

Wolverine **
Storm **

Between 6-9 Covers

Ares **
Thor **
Magneto **
Hawkeye **

So far I've been enjoying captain marvel the most, because she has a three actives, a reliable spread move and some decent cascade capability.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 16, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You guys are talking about two different captain marvels. I'm assuming the 3* has a stun, because the 2* certainly doesn't.

For the record, I really like 2* captain marvel.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

As far as I've seen, 2* Cpt Marvel is one of the only 2* heroes that has both cascade capability and a decent health pool. Is there someone I'm missing? Storm and magneto are both pretty fragile. Who else cascades at 2*?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Interesting, I didn't know thor could pop so many greens when it's ranked up.

I really wish I could find more magneto covers. I'm 1/5/1 right now and when the season ended it gave me another purple. He seems amazing and I wanna play him with storm. Finding more Hawkguy covers wouldn't hurt either.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

There's a recruit pool with like 12.5% OBW drop rate right now, if you haven't already done that PvE.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Why does the pyro's flamethrower take like three minutes to resolve? Is there some sort of bug?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I've gotta cull the herd a little bit in the next few days. Between Vision, Quicksilver, Daredevil, Blade and Hulk, who are the better heroes?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Bummer, those are the two that I find more interesting. I like Vision's unique mechanics. Hulk and Blade always seemed sort of boring to me.

Right now I only have one cover for each of those heroes - Red Daredevil, Green Quicksilver, Red Vision, Green Hulk, Green Blade. I'm still in stage 2* right now, with my highest team members around 65. It was actually a loving miracle that I beat today's DDQ for another Kamala cover, because I had no business beating all 4 waves.

How do Falcon, Cage, Kamala, Bullseye, Psylocke and Grocket compare to those guys? I've got 2-4 covers for each of them, and figured I would probably hang onto them for now.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 21, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Thanks guys, I will put that into consideration. Where do you find out about upcoming quests, like that?

edit: Oh yeah, I also found a blue Invisible Woman cover this morning. That makes 3 4* covers I have taking up space right now. (Sue, Fury, LadyThor).

Considering I'm still about a year and a half from stage 4, should I be chucking some of these for space or should I hang onto them?

edit: I saw that post, but I noticed Quicksilver and Vision weren't on there so I wasn't sure how up-to-date his opinions were.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 21, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Oh great, a kamala contest on PvP. Kamala is one of the few *** i have multiple covers for, so I really wanna place well in this one. Were you guys saying something about a website that tracks the number of entrants in the events to help you rank up? I wanna do anything I can to place well in this one, despite not even having a maxed team of 2s.

edit: how does the 'low-effort' queue work, and how can I try and get put onto it?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 23, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I now have max covers for Wolverine2, Ares and Thor2. I know I probably shouldn't waste iso-8 maxing out them all, but i can't decide if I should throw one or two of them out. My highest guys are close to level 70 right now, and I'm still far away from the *** stage of the game.

Right now I also have CptMarvel2, Storm2, OBW and Torch2 with full covers as well. Magneto2 is close behind, and I also have a handful of covers for hawkguy and CptAmerica2

I really like wolverine's synergy with black widow, but i understand he's considered lower tier than ares and thor. Wolvie/Obw/Marvel has been a pretty reliable team so far, but I understand it's probably not great on defense. I like big combos and stuff, so I also want to get some sort of Magneo/Storm thing going.

Am I wasting iso if I end up maxing more than three ** heroes? Or is it reasonable to have a PvE team and a PvP team? How should I put my heroes to best use?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

So Kamala is one of the two ***s i'm trying to fast track - folks are telling me I should join one of the last few events with only a few hours left. How much time should I give myself? Would the 4th and the 5th bracket be any different for these purposes?