Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm coming up on finishing this series and I REALLY enjoy it, aside from some of the silly 'I'm a girl therefore my main role in life is to blush and stammer until I pass out' things. I was very surprised with how good I thought this show turned out. Forgive my somewhat disjointed posting below.

I liked a lot the society building and social interaction, and the focus on the strategic and teamwork aspects of the combat and in general, too. It still felt like a solid and well thought out show. I also liked that there wasn't really fanservice (although I could have done without the waste of time scenes between that little assassin girl and the one who tried to dress her up all the time :psyduck:).

I've heard that a show called Spice and Wolf is similar in regards to being less focused on sick spinning sword backflip headslice explosions and more to do with social/economic/diplomatic relationships and whatnot.

I've also seen online recommendations for a thing called Code Geass: Lelouch. Is that similar? However, reading things about Sword Art Online or dotHack that also seem to be getting recommended a lot don't seem to interest me.

I really love Legend of the Galactic Heroes, too, if that matters.

Are there other animes shows that are alike in style and...theme(? not setting, necessarily) to Log Horizon? If I enjoyed this show, what are a few others that might be as enjoyable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ah thanks. I'm checking out those comics and I have Spice and Wolf queued up so I'm solid. I'm sad there aren't more things on video that are like this, though. I can't wait for season 2.

Also, the studio really went down some interesting paths, what with actually letting the higher level female characters keep all their clothes and armor on. I gotta give them props for trying something new.

I just finished all 25 episodes and wow. I really liked Log Horizon. Gosh, I am very pleasantly surprised. I just wish there were more like it - doesn't matter the actual setting.

I watched, a while ago, a show called 'C: the Power of Money and Soul' or something like that 'C: the Money of Soul and Possibility Control', and it had an amazing idea behind it but really couldn't form anything cohesively interesting or mechanically complex from that.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 27, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think I saw the first season of SAC, which was good fun, yeah.

So Season 2 of LH will only be books 6 & 7? Is that enough, or will there be a shitton of filler in there? The first season had 5 books, ~5 eps a book, right?

I'd love for them to dig in deeper with everything, but so long as it isn't stereotypical Dragonball Z/One Piece half a fight per episode bullshit. Blargh.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Serious Frolicking posted:

Who knows, maybe there will be another book or two released in the interim. LN's come out fast.

Right, but this is coming out in the fall of this year, reports have said. Can an arthouse draw that fast? I am not an animes expert but I don't think you can have parallel, near-synchronous series.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pandaK posted:

They create the episodes literally the week before they air.

Are you kidding me? I know South Park does that, but I always thought that was just them having a pipeline that was automated and simple enough to manage that.

That's pretty hardcore.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ViggyNash posted:

I remember hearing that a bunch of animators and directors found out that the Lupin III: Fujiko Mine was being worked on 3 weeks in advance and they were extremely perplexed by the notion of not procrastinating to the week of.

Perpetual college students.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I have no idea what you guys are talking about, specifically. One of the things I dislike about stories is the perfect character GMary Stue stuff. So even though Shiroe is an example of that, the other characters took up enough screentime that he was actually more of a background manipulator so it didn't grate pretty much at all. It was a show about relationships, rather than a show about whose sword is more powerful.

I didn't think Shiroe in Log Horizon was as overpowered as, say, Light (or the main character) from Death Note or something (although I loved Death Note).

Redcrimson posted:

No, the fact that it's an ineptly written power-fantasy proxy thing makes it bad. Say what you will about Log Horizon, at least it has internal consistency and clearly articulated thematic beats.
This is a good reason about why I enjoyed Log Horizon, as well.

How is Accel World? Waste of time, mildly interesting, or wow that's an amazing show?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I'm sure that there will be some legitimate adversity eventually.

The new Plant Hwydan (or whatever) guild seems pretty effed up and hardcore, and also that Silver Swords guild who left the original council meeting was shown to be meeting up with the bad guys in that 'slave' city.

I think they'll have their share of adversity in the next season. Not to mention Some parts of the People of the Land seem to be trippin'. it ought to be really good. :unsmigghh:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So they would run that city if they can capture it? That'd be pretty cool.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Log Horizon is actually really unrealistic because all of the top raiding guilds on that server we've seen have been led by reasonable, intelligent people instead of power-tripping caustic autists.

haha, yeah. That's the fantasy aspect of this anime.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

User0015 posted:

This is what I like most about LH. I wouldn't even consider Shiroe to be a power fantasy as you described, but more as a trope or stereotype turned on its head. Shiroe is actually the weakest in terms of combat, and is completely reliant on other people: Not just in battle, but in everything. Shiroe is a main hero, but is entirely dependent on the cast to get anything done.

I think you're digging to fit your hypothesis. In many parts of the show Shiroe is shown not only holding his own but beating the gently caress out of things without the help of other people, or making brand new magic, or doing somethingorother.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

User0015 posted:

Compare SA:O and LH. Kirito spends his time leveling, getting items and generally growing strong, so he can defeat the final boss and escape. He's so awesome at being strong, the game even rewards him with a unique skill that only he can use, that makes him more powerful than anyone else that is his equal. He is a man above everyone else.

In LH, Shiroe spends his time building a better city, gathering allies, building a strong guild..., all social aspects of an MMO world. It's completely night and day, where one focuses on growing himself, and the other one focuses on growing the world. Even the final episode is his plan to better the world. I don't think it's a stretch to say it takes the trope of growing stronger, and instead turns it to helping everyone grow stronger.

No don't compare. Why would you?

LH has a very powerful main character and it doesn't matter that some other anime has an even more powerful one.

It's a great show BECAUSE it spends a lot of time developing more of the social aspects of whatever, but it doesn't make Shiroe LESS powerful like you are trying to explain.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What's going on there, are they just making a joke about running away or something? Slowest person gets eaten by the lion, or something?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Well this kinda jumped around. Eh. I wouldn't have been very impressed by this episode had I not loved the first season.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dante Logos posted:

And knowing Shiro, I can bet that the trillions that they need isn't just for upkeep.

Strippers body pillows are expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xelkelvos posted:

It'd be like someone naming their character Shinji Hiroshima or something.

The author visited /a/ at some point and answered a few questions for them. This included whether or not Adventurers could have sex in the game, iirc. They can.

Look, it's a videogame. It's nyant like I'm having sex with cats in the real world, okay?

• Locked thread