Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Fleve posted:

The latest episode with some guy carving out his own kingdom in the north gives me hope that they’ll delve deeper into those topics, but I'm also afraid they'll end up treating it as an incident of one 'evil' guy and his guild rather than a systemic problem evolving into conquest, dominion and war.

Given that Maoyuu is all about the societal implications of fantasy culture development, I can't imagine Log Horizon not having this as a key theme.

This show is fun as hell. I really enjoy it, it's refreshing and different and very competently done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

glomkettle posted:

Speaking of Maoyu, I'm thinking about giving it a try, since Crunchyroll has it and it seems like a cool idea. Is it worth the watch?

The anime is not a great adaptation and it ends before the story gets particularly far. The official manga adaptation is much better.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Nipponophile posted:

Combine that with the fact that the original author was also responsible for Maoyuu. You know, the novel, manga, and anime that went to lengths to explain the potato, something that literally everyone in a first world nation should be expected to be familiar with?

To be fair, that potato infodump was given to characters that actually wouldn't know it already. Meanwhile, in Log Horizon, Shiroe is explaining things to... The air?

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Crusty :allears:

Do there exist people with glasses who are not ridiculous schemers?

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

pandaK posted:

I loved how they wrote in the game mechanics and the actual game's development into the plot.

Are you implying that Rudy is a person of the land?

He says his parents call him Rudy, which seems weird if Rundel Haus isn't just some random handle. And all the other adventurers have just had one-word names (so far at least)...

This episode was a lot of fun. I kinda dig this series' slow pace, it's not running faster than it needs to and everything is interesting even when it's just people talking.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Srice posted:

I think I have yet to see a Baka Tsuki translation that isn't clunky as hell and really obnoxious to read. They don't really translate to English as much as they translate into Anime-English. It doesn't flow well in the slightest and it quickly turns me off every time.

I feel like the awful style made Sword Art Online a lot more fun to read, but it doesn't work well for something that is actually good, no.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

I do hope that this show gets a second season. It'd be a painful let-down if 26 episodes was all that we ever got!

It's been pretty steady in adapting a volume about every five episodes, but... There's only one seven volumes out right now. If we see a continuation, it probably won't be for a very long time, although they could theoretically fit two volumes into one season if they slowed the pace a bit.

But regardless, yeah, Log Horizon is amazing and is far and away my favorite show in quite some time.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

I might see more reason to complain if this was yet another situation of Shiroe solving every problem by always being the smartest and cleverest, but this was something that was properly set up and foreshadowed being done by simply one of the more clever people in a wide cast of important, competent people. No it isn't deus ex machina, it's merely awesome.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, I took a look at some of the translated versions floating around out there... is this normal for light novels?? Because it's terrible, stylistically. I've also read a few of the Spice & Wolf novels, but they were never quite as bad -- even though the author of those also sometimes has problems with the whole "show not tell" rule.

There is actually a lot of side material and appendices for log horizon, more detailed stuff isn't so... Flow-breaking? But it does definitely get kinda rambling. I think a lot of the problem is in the translation more than anything.

Adelheid fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 16, 2014

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

I think /airglasses had me laughing harder than anything from any of the actual comedies I'm following this season, holy crap.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

People in this thread are saying this is a 26-episode show, but wikipedia and other sources I check say 25? Where is the 26 number coming from?

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

I don't think I've ever been looking forward to an anime as much as I am for Log Horizon S2. Good god was that ever a sequel hook.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

The difference is that Moonlight Sculptor is really clearly someone's odd fantasy about being really good at MMOs and also being loved by everyone, whereas Log Horizon is, I guess, competently written. Moonlight Sculptor is also staggeringly sexist, which is... kind of off-putting. I read several volumes in while the forums were down but couldn't keep going, it's just not good.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Desuwa posted:

I also read the first couple of volumes of Moonlight Sculptor while the forums are down and I liked it enough, overall. It's not terribly well written and the translations don't do it any favours, but it does scratch the right itch for me. I have no idea how it's going to hold up over the huge number of volumes though. I just don't see it having that kind of longevity. It also has the same sexism/mary sue flaws that SAO has but so far it's more enjoyable.

SAO's sexism is pretty bad but it never felt so endemic to the world, I guess? I'm sure a lot of it is owing to the awful translation phrasing but, at least through the third volume, there was way too much stuff listed with "causes x effect on females" which is. Really dumb. I almost wish it was as bad as SAO, because SAO is so consistently trash that it made it really fun for me to read in a "I can't believe this awful series, what is going to happen next" sort of, way whereas moonlight sculptor is really uneven and just comes off as uninteresting to me.

That said, I can definitely see why some people would enjoy it. It does scratch a particular itch, and I do like parts of it. It's just, y'know, parts of it are just really dumb. Like everything to do with the swordsmanship school weed went to, for instance.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

kazakirinyancat posted:

Edit: At 0:47, holy poo poo is that Leonardo! If that's what they're doing to dodge the copyright then they somehow made him look even cooler!

Well that answer the question of how they'll fit books 6-8 into 24 episodes without drastically slowing the pace.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

So, this is supposed to start tomorrow, right? Is Crunchyroll streaming it? They don't have any information about season 2.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Demicol posted:

I originally stopped watching at episode 21, I figured I would catch up now that season 2 is starting, but will I really miss anything if I just skip the rest of the show? Is it all just more of this festival / love triangle nonsense?

It's about the festival, but not really about the love triangle, and there's actual reasons for why it goes through it all. tbh though you could probably skip to the last episode and not miss much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

ScottyWired posted:

That little freaky bit before the ED is a painful cliffhanger and preview say we ain't getting answers.

I'm curious about volume 6, because season 2 skips it sorta and goes straight to volume 7.

But in the process of researching this... ENGLISH NOVEL RELEASE MARCH 2015

6 and 7 happen at the same time but focusing on different groups, and 6 starts slightly after 7 does. they're animating it in chronological order.

• Locked thread