Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

jng2058 posted:

Skye's quite about SHIELD and the Battle of New york was in the first episode when she confronts Mike in the diner. The thing is, what she actually said was: "They knew about the Battle of New York before it even happened, and then cleaned it up before anyone could ask any cool questions!" By which we can infer that they grabbed all the alien corpses and technology before anyone else could since obviously everyone knows about the Battle of New York. (Or else Mike would have been asking "what battle?")

Indeed, when we first see Ward he's recovering some Chitauri technology from the guy in Paris, so obviously that effort is ongoing.

Yeah, there's a short film on the Avengers DVD about a couple of petty thieves who managed to hold onto and reactivate a Chitauri gun and who are using it to rob banks.

ToastyPotato posted:

The most disappointing thing about the show is the fact that the show isn't the slightest bit interested in portraying a post alien invasion world.

I'm an episode behind, but I distinctly remember the motivation of several antagonists being something along the lines of "It's a new world now. We can't trust SHIELD." That's why the Peruvian lady backstabbed Coulson in the second episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Goddard did some of the better episodes of "Angel," so if he wound up involved with the Daredevil show I expect it would be fun.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The problem with Whedon alums is their track rate. His brother Jed's on "Agents of SHIELD," Jane Espenson's got some web show, Marti Noxon is hopefully not coming anywhere near this, and David Greenwalt and Tim Minear have modest reputations as Show Killers.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It's a series about God Himself having what amounts to narcissistic personality disorder. I have to figure a televised version would be somewhat heavily altered.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It seems that for a lot of guys my age, Preacher served as the introduction to non-superhero comics. It came along at exactly the right time and place to appeal to non-religious college kids like me. It didn't hurt that for almost the entirety of its run Wizard magazine never gave up an opportunity to suck it off.

In retrospect, I would've been much happier with the book if not for the weird attempt at a love triangle that comes pretty close to derailing the entire plot. There's also a lot in the series that seems like it was thrown in for the sake of being thrown in, like Ennis is drunk on the freedom of being at Vertigo and being able to say just about whatever comes to mind.

As for the subject matter itself, hell, I often laughed. Rereading it now, I don't so much.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Piedmon Sama posted:

This exactly. Preacher is perfect for that incredibly stupid, magical time in your life between the ages of 16-23 where you're still basically a kid but now you can drink and buy your first lovely car and you have to be A MAN. As a teenager I loved that comic and totally bought all its stupid poo poo about What A Real Man Does and Taking No poo poo and I loving died laughing at "bud wupp." It's simplistic, scatological, sexist and incredibly narcissistic in its outlook and thus hits perfectly with the mentality of a late teenager.

I'd also point out here that if you actually do get all the way to the end, one of Preacher's morals--which also shows up in The Boys, albeit not as prominently--is that all of that macho bullshit that it usually revels in is baggage you have to give up if you intend to be a functional adult. One of the big themes is about people who are grappling with issues that are preventing them from exiting a sort of extended childhood, up to and including Jesse, who nearly loses everything on a couple of different occasions because his entire sense of What A Man Does was imparted to him by watching John Wayne movies.

The Saint of Killers even reflects that, in that he's the actual reality of the unstoppable killing machine as heralded in story and film; his ability to kill at the drop of a hat has damned him more thoroughly than anything else was capable of. If you drag in the "baddest motherfucker in the world" speech from Stephenson's Snow Crash, the Saint is almost a direct counterargument.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

I don't see how, that monologue is about the same thing. While you're a child (snow crash points out that all men below the age of 25 or so want to be the baddest motherfucker) the capacity for instant and excessive violence is the dream. Then you grow up and realize violence gets you nothing in and of itself.

The point is that in a narrative full of characters who qualify as badasses, the Saint is the biggest, and is also the most fundamentally broken. He's the only character in the book who can inflict violence as he sees fit, indiscriminately and without immediate consequence, and it never gets him anywhere. It's just what he does along the way to not getting what he wants.

The Snow Crash quote is about realizing one's limits, and why I'm dragging it in here is basically about how the goal itself is a poison pill. If you find anyone who wants to be the Saint of Killers, they either haven't thought it through or they got some brain problems.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I feel reasonably confident that someone at some point said about "Agent Carter," by way of a pitch, "Like 'Mad Men,' but they're spies."

I'm crossing my fingers for some Agents of ATLAS action.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

That cameo appearance late in the show, when Cage stops a robbery and meets Method Man, was very "Scooby Doo."

I don't mind it, but I can't decide whether I'm disappointed or not that Method Man didn't stick around for the rest of the episode to help solve a mystery.

Koalas March posted:

I'm seriously wondering if this poo poo is just too subtle for a lot white people.

I'm almost positive it is, yeah.

I'm a white kid from the suburbs of Chicago and will pretend to no knowledge otherwise, and I could tell there was a lot going on in this show textually and otherwise that I didn't catch onto.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I could see Ving Rhames as Barracuda.

The problem is that Goran Parlov always drew Barracuda as cartoonishly enormous compared to everyone around him, which wouldn't translate well to live-action without some amount of camera trickery.

Really, if you just did a straight adaptation of broad swaths of the MAX book, you'd get a pretty good TV show. You'd have to substitute somebody else for Nick Fury, though.

Koalas March posted:

This but unironically. Jessica/Luke, Claire/Matt, Misty/Danny and Karen/Punisher are the only acceptable relationships tbh.

The nerd part of me isn't quite down with Claire and Matt, if only because Claire is Luke's ex in the comics.

I get the feeling that they're just trying to do as much as they can with Rosario Dawson in the time they have with her, which is understandable. Rosario Dawson is awesome.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Frankly I'm still holding out for "Daughters of the Dragon" to go on the schedule.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Koalas March posted:

Yes, please!! I would love to see Misty and Colleen kicking rear end and taking names.

I have a lot of time for both of them from way back in the day, but I've got a lot riding on Jessica Henwick. I'm really hoping that the MCU's Colleen Wing owes a lot more to the 1970s comics than to the 2000s white jumpsuit version. "Luke Cage" had a lot of the early comics in it, so I'm reasonably hopeful.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Luke Cage
I may have just been reading too much into it, but I got the impression that Diamondback's costume was powering up every time Luke hit him, so by playing rope a dope he drained it's juices then was able to hit him and have it work. But if that was the intention, they could have made it a little more explicit.

That's explicitly what he was doing. That was the point of showing the boxing scenes. Luke knew he could outlast the suit, so he turtled up, absorbed some punishment, and waited until Diamondback wore himself out.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I just hope it's not going to be season 1 of "Arrow" with Danny constantly talking about how "when I was on the island mountain--"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, to be fair, I can't think of a mainstream American television production off the top of my head that's explicitly about an American kid of Asian descent rediscovering his ancestors' culture, with or without a martial-arts story attached.

I don't doubt that the Disney-Marvel apparatus is self-aware enough to avoid most of the obvious pitfalls people have mentioned--the "white savior" archetype, the one Asian supporting character being a female love interest, all that Showdown in Little Tokyo poo poo--but I can understand any fan having that particular set of apprehensions. We'll have to wait and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Danny Rand being the heir to old New York money who's also mixed-race could create some interesting story potential.