Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I finished season 2. It was pretty neat! I loved all the Punisher stuff and Elektra herself was great even if her story arc was kind of underwhelming. And while I crave the action scenes that they result in, I continue to think that all the narrative with the ninjas is both tonally inconsistent, really stupid, but somehow delightfully audacious. And funnily enough, it did give me flashbacks to the first TMNT movie as a result.

It weirds me out how much I like Karen in this show. In the comics I always saw her as an albatross around DD's neck because of the stuff that Miller wrote her doing, but in this show she's like Lois Lane except better. I'm worried about what's going to happen when Bullseye inevitably shows up :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Teen Titans is the teaser that made me go "Yknow, maybe Krypton isn't so bad after all"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
My whole thing with Marvel is that for as formulaic as they might be (and they can be pretty bad in that regard, looking at you, Dr. Strange, nice third act though) it's a formula I like. Because I like superheroes. And even with all these Marvel flicks, there are still not enough good superhero movies to make me go "Okay, they should stop making these."

Maybe it'd be different if anyone else was doing a decent job or if there were other companies putting out more crazy, imaginative stuff. But there's not. Deadpool, Logan, and Wonder Woman were good but not exactly "weirdo in a colorful outfit saves the day by beating up other, different, more sinister weirdo" material.

Lurdiak posted:

Some people really like it, and they use the words "deconstruction" and "satire" wrong a lot when explaining why.

I like the Boys ultimately because for all of the eye-roll-y stuff about how lovely superheroes are, the core cast and their story is pretty good.

I doubt it'll change any minds, and with marketing like that I can't blame people for getting the wrong idea, but the real nature of the book is demonstrated in how (arguably) the worst person in the entire comic is actually the guy who hates superheroes and the "real bad guys" are profit obsessed corporate shitheels who literally recruited a Nazi ubermesnch and dressed him up like Superman, because they thought it'd be good for their bottom line. I wouldn't recommend it in general, it's definitely the kind of thing you need to be tuned to a certain wavelength for, but it's not like it's Crossed.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Did Dead Vision give anyone else flashes of White Vision?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah it'd be kinda weird for this story about Wanda's process of grief to end up just giving her what she'd wanted all along.

Or I dunno. Maybe it will? If Vision's soul/mind/whatever does end up back in White Vision, there has to be some sort of price to pay for it. I imagine it ending like "Oh no Vision's lost his emotions.........or has he? Maybe there's still hope!"

this has happened several dozen times in the comics before so there is precedent for it

If we are looking at a "YOU CAN'T HAVE IT ALL" style ending I'm betting Wanda has to choose between getting Vision back or keeping her children. Alternately, her children may be the paradigm-breaking cheat that allows her to keep it all, via ~the power of family~

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The whole Scarlet Witch thing is really stuck in my head for some reason. Mostly because it's giving me strong Phoenix vibes, but also because I can't let go of the idea of Wanda going back in time to empower herself, for some reason. Could EVEN MORE time traveling be what starts causing the multiverse problems that Strange has to deal with in his sequel?

Also, Quicksilver just being "some guy" strikes me as a lie, or maybe Agatha doesn't realize what she actually did. They already pulled a "MULTIVERSE... PSYCH!" thing before with Far From Home, doing it again seems kinda tacky.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I want to see Krakoa's amnesty policy referred to as "Mutant operation paperclip" around Magneto to see what kind of face he would make

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't necessarily think Wanda is going big evil, but I do think that she's not done causing trouble, even if that trouble is as simple as blasting open the doors to the Sanctum and demanding some help in finding her boys in the multiverse

Really curious to see what Vision 2.0 does in the long run. There's some potential for bringing Ultron back there, or maybe bringing in some new AI-based characters depending on how it hashes out.

If George Perez watched this, I bet he's pleased with how this episode turned out

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 5, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Boy that first episode was a real bummer

Pretty good though

Also curious if the random crap written in the credits sequence is going to be relevant in the show

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Wasn't there a thing about how the She Hulk series is going to be about Jen trying to get the Sokovia Accords thrown out, or was that fan speculation?

(Have to say making Jen a big name policy lawyer instead of a civil or criminal attorney is a good way to distinguish her from Matt in the lawyering department. Won't mesh well with Aaron's "What if she was just a lady version of Rage Hulk" approach though)

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
https://twitter.com/KnightEdgeMedia/status/1373461890718969857

That makes... basically all of the young Avengers confirmed, right? Iron Lad's kind of hard to pin down, but all the ingredients to whip him up do exist.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Oh yeah, you'd probably have to touch on Kree/Skrull politics to bring in Hulkling, which sounds like a Captain Marvel 2 and/or Secret Invasion deal

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Falcon & WS Episode 2:

-I hope the Bradleys come back, but if they don't, that was some impactful poo poo.

-There are so many factions at this point I'm really curious to see who will be the last boss (It's definitely not the Flag Smashers, since all they've done is rob a bank and steal medicine for refugees)
-Our boys have had a streak of bad luck so far, but I really hope they don't end up being responsible for Zemo escaping prison next week, because that would be encroaching into Spider-Man/Daredevil levels of "Aw, poo poo, I hosed up"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Battlestar was Walker's "Bucky" when he first debuted as new Cap, because Bucky was Captain America's government-assigned highly marketable kid sidekick in the comics and not his best friend with a funny nickname

kinda weird how they managed to do bucky in live action so successfully and easily but there's still no modern version of Robin that works outside of the memetic value of "gently caress Batman"

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 27, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I thought it was funny how it turned into diet John Wick about a third of way through

Actually this episode had a lot of comedy for me, mostly stemming from Zemo. The way they incorporated more of the comic version so casually was hilarious. I'm not sure I quite buy how mellow he's acting, but it kind of makes sense when you consider he accomplished his primary objective in Civil War and the Avengers haven't really gotten back together in a concrete sense except to fight Thanos and then immediately split up again. That and the fact that Sam and Bucky weren't directly involved in the Ultron poo poo.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
As far as the Flag Smashers go maybe this is my X-Men brain talking but I don't know if she's crossed the threshold of irredeemdablity yet. I do worry that it might be one of those corny "All her friends die to teach her a lesson about not being an rear end in a top hat" type things, like she's got a gang of 18 superpowered Uncle Bens. I kinda think it'd be interesting if the cute girl with the relateable motivation was the member of the extremist group to NOT be redeemed, and instead it's like one of those huge dudes who all seem pretty personable

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I never got the impression that the Global Repatration Force or whatever were supposed to be as bad as ICE, more like any given crappy bureaucratic entity that doesn't properly apply the resources it's given because it's tied into the agendas of a bunch of dumb douchebags, like organizations that are responsible for misappropriated/poorly distributed humanitarian aid

If they were like ICE they'd probably be hunting down people who broke laws during the blip and locking them up indefinitely with no charges and no plans for trial

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 4, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Mr Hootington posted:

Unless there is some (incredibly stupid) twist Zemo and The flag smashers are good guys.

Zemo is probably going to try and kill all of the the Flag Smashers, and Bucky if presented with the opportunity, and probably Isaiah if he gets the chance, so this seems like a weird thing to say

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Mr Hootington posted:

And? Because:

Zemo was right to kill the scientist. the scientist was the most dangerous man alive.

Edit: in the world that was built for the MCU, the majority of the heroes are as just a much a danger to the world as the villains the heroes helped create.

The best comparison I can think of for the heroes at this point are atomic bombs that people are replicating and using. They are not a deterrent.

Edit 2: in light of wandavision zemo is double correct. Look what happened with The Vision and look at what Wanda did.

That guy being dead is hunky dory, but Bucky was modified against his will, as was Isaiah, and if you're taking the full one percent chance enemy=absolute certainty tack, they might as well start building giant purple murder robots and send them after Eli Bradley, Peter Parker, Skrull refugees, and anyone else who might be dangerous

Which, y'know, especially with said robots being purple, Zemo would be super down for

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Kinda can't see Zemo being in any form of Thunderbolts at this point unless he's using it as an elaborate ruse to recruit and then murder super-types

which wouldn't be that bad as a concept change, actually

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Sgt. Politeness posted:

If Walker gets any blowback from the US government for killing a terrorist then that'll be the most unrealistic thing in a show about sci-fi super heroes. The public on the other hand just videotaped a cop brutalizing a suspect in broad daylight.

this is not an emptyquote

well, I could see him maybe getting de-Capped and a stern talking to, but nothing more severe than that.

As for the SSS, the fact that it never (ever) works outside of Cap in raw chemical "The formula is unstable!!!" terms is an idea from the comics primarily. I think the movie(+TV) version might be trying to do something more subtle. We never really see why the other Winter Soldier candidates went berserk, but given the fashion in which Bucky was recruited, there's a good chance that they maybe didn't have the right mindset to be suddenly empowered without flipping out. Same applies to Walker and Karli. We don't see what went down with Isaiah, but even if he was perfectly fine while he was active, he got turned into a bio-mine once his combat service period was up.

The only reason being a super soldier didn't ruin Steve's life (beyond the big sleep stuff) is because he had Nick Fury and Tony Stark backing him up once he got de-thawed

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 10, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I liked the episode in broad strokes, but thought it felt a little flabby. Sam's speech ran a bit long, the epilogue kind of dragged it's feet, that sort of thing. Like it was stretched a little to fill time, as opposed to the penultimate episode, which was filled to the brim with stuff I loved.

Overall I liked the miniseries a lot. It was less experimental than Wanda Vision but also felt like it had a lot more going on (and got to the point faster). Sam's flying special effects are definitely much better than Wanda's. I get the feeling Loki is going to be sort of the mid point between the two, being weird and experimental but also getting to the the good stuff faster.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think maybe people are expecting a little too much from the comic book show about the nice man with the jetpack and the surly man with the robot arm

Although that's partly the show's fault for trying to wrestle with issues closer to real life instead of staying inside it's wheelhouse the way that the Cap movies did.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Skwirl posted:

I know movie Cap was frozen before he even kissed a girl, but I'm betting comic book Cap got down. He spent a lot more time doing stuff like liberating occupied France. So you know, grateful French ladies and what not.

Didn't he canonically have sex with (young (not blind yet)) Blind Al from Kelly's Deadpool?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

BrianWilly posted:

I feel like I have to be going insane. Everyone says this episode was amazing, and I've been mostly neutral-to-happy with Loki so far, but I thought this episode was hopelessly bad. It was just one interminably boring dialogue after the other leading up to the worst "battle" "sequence" since Runaways.

I think the element that breaks my, like, ability to process this narrative the most is that the TVA are depicted as distractingly underpowered, and yet we're supposed to believe they are able to do their jobs...not only with any degree of success at all, but to the point that these two Lokis giving them such runarounds is a rare occurrence. We're supposed to believe these baseline humans with poke sticks are gonna take down any threat to their Sacred Timeline? The hell do these people do against a variant Yondu?

my no-prize solution for this is they have Cable on a retainer and call him in for anything more serious\

A scary rear end MCU cable too, not just the guy from Deadpool 2, who was cool but not particularly intimidating

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I can imagine RDJ going "That was in 2006, 2007, right? I bet I sounded way younger back then." and then nobody has the confidence to tell him otherwise

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I can understand people thought the first episode was kinda corny, but I got the feeling it was very intentional and in keeping with the tone of the first Cap movie. This assumption of mine is partly based on the fact that a lot of the effects they used for Iron Steve reminded me a great deal of the Iron Giant.That and, as an anthology series, it's probably not going to drill super down into the details of any specific story. Though I can understand if there are people disappointed with how it doesn't seem to be aiming to be as edgy as the What If comics tend to be.

As far as a first effort for Marvel Studios animation (and not that tasteless gray Marvel paste that's been airing on regular TV) I thought it was very promising

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm half joking but also half serious. Atwell feels like such a well received but underused MCU star and it would be a ton of fun to see her show up through multiverse magic as Captain Carter. You mainly just have to work out how much it would cost to get her to do the Natalie Portman workout plan.

It could be a really fun way to get people like Atwell and like Micheal B Jordan/Killmonger back in play if you can make the deals. And IF they have some kind of ideas of a Secret Wars/Battleworld type thing I think that's how you make it work.

Throw in a handful of mutant characters and you'd have a perfectly cromulent Exiles lineup

Now I'm kind of curious if we're going to get to see Tony Stark's best friend, Eric Killmonger the Black Panther, interact with his cousin from outer space, Starlord

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
After watching the second episode of What If, assuming that the series maintains this kind of tone, I think one word sums it up succinctly:

It is... cute.

I don't say this disparagingly, but it's very... light. And sweet. We'll see if that changes when we get to something like the Marvel Zombies, but somehow I doubt it, considering that's going to have a teamup between Spidey and Dr. Strange's cape

Kinda disappointed that lounge singer Nebula didn't have her comics hair, but oh well

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Yakmouth posted:

That’d be fun. I’m hoping Stingray shows up.

I am concerned that Armour Wars could very easily feel like a retread of FatWS — America has lost its hero and now the wrong people are being brought in to fill the vacuum.

Stark is consistently the most paranoid/possessive about the Iron Man tech, so with him gone, it's extra easy to imagine it falling into the "wrong" hands (actual wrong hands and also people who just want it in general) which then leads to Rhodey running around trying to re-claim it all

Hell if it wasn't for Sony's involvement there's a War Machine VS Spider-Man fight scene that writes itself, along with a protracted conversation that includes the line "Wait, Tony gave you what?"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This week's What If was a bit more along the lines of what I expect from the brand as a whole i.e. a story with a bad end (or at least, a not happy ending). I liked it a fair bit but think that, if they were trying to do little miniature mystery, they were maybe too strapped for time to make it work. There's a reason that Detective Conan stories are usually multi-parters.

Another thing I thought was weird is how Hulk looked like a sorta halfway point between Norton Hulk and Ruffalo Hulk. Maybe it just has to do with the hair?

That being said it was nice seeing Coulson again. I watched about 1.5 seasons of Agents of SHIELD and while that show was generic genre TV mush, he was always a charismatic presence. Also I think Samuel L. Jackson might be the best at voice acting out of any of the Marvel regulars.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This week's What If was a solid story but a little underwhelming on a visual standpoint. There were a few flashes of cool poo poo, don't get me wrong, but I was kind of expecting them to go whole hog nutso for a Strange VS Strange battle in animated form.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
New What If is the zombies episode and I liked it better than the original Marvel Zombies, but not better than the Van Lente stories.

A nice mix of suspense, schlock horror stuff, character moments, and some surprisingly gruesome poo poo that I guess they can get away with because the blood isn't red. Hell of an image to end on, too.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I thought Benedict Waistband's acting was good, but his American accent was still as "Okay, this is non-American man acting playing an American in a piece of media" as it's ever been, which is to say significantly so

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
that trailer was extremely die hard to me

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

muscles like this! posted:

Variety is reporting that HBO Max is in early development of another TV spin off to The Batman, this one focused on the Penguin, although they haven't got a deal with Colin Farrell yet.

Is it weird that I am deeply sick of every attempt to turn Penguin into like an edgy, skinny criminal weirdo instead of a smug bird-obsessed criminal weirdo with gimmick umbrellas, with proportions that suggest a water fowl?

I'm only just realizing how often the formula for making Batman villains "modern" and "relevant" is to turn them into villains from bad genre TV. I'd make a joke about a Batman version of Smallville, but I think there's been like three of those already with the only real distinction being none of them centered around teen Bruce

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
What if... Killmonger picked his fights a little more carefully?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Can anyone suggest any good reasons for why Darcy should not have been Beverly\ from day 1?

maybe it can be a middle name

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Beverly_Switzler_(Earth-616)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
My main reasoning is that Darcy seems like a good character for getting into wacky random adventures (Across different "franchises" so far, even) which is a very Beverly trait.

But they probably don't want to pay the cost of a CG duck every time they put Cat Dennings in a thing, either