Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ToastyPotato posted:

The most disappointing thing about the show is the fact that the show isn't the slightest bit interested in portraying a post alien invasion world. Shield doesn't seem to be operating much different than it was prior to Avengers. The Marvel elements almost seem grafted onto the show after the fact, as if Whedon had some similar idea in his back pocket and adapted it into the Marvel universe after he got the job on Avengers.

Why would SHIELD change much. They are operating much more publicly(as in Everyone knows who SHIELD is, and they have free access to most countries in the world) They are still trying to keep the small scale stuff under wraps so it isn't known just how far off the rails the world is going. The Big stuff they can't hide but so long as people think it's an isolated incident people will eventually get back to their regularly scheduled ambivalence.

If When something Major comes up they still have to go beg the Avengers to do something about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ToastyPotato posted:

Nobody trusted Shield in any of the Marvel films so far either, so that is not really indicative of anything. An example of my point is the fact that outside of Coulson, who basically died via impalement on an alien spear, via a godlike being, no one seems to have any real issue or trauma with what happened in NYC. Again, think about how many people had their world turned upside down by 9/11, and now realize that no one on the team, most of whom were in Shield when this happened, seem to have any issue with the fact that we were invaded by aliens and a bunch of people died. They have literally returned to just globe trotting around looking up suspicious things and people, which is what they have been doing since the first Marvel film.

Even Skye, who is a normal person, is no where near as phased by any of this as she probably should be. She's apparently just as concerned with (spoilered because you are behind) finding out what happened to her parents as she is about "getting the truth out there" or whatever.

I dunno. The show isn't awful by any stretch. It's miles ahead of Smallville, but dammit if so far it doesn't feel like its wasting its potential.

9/11 is a national tragedy, It was an attack directed at us with a closer personal attachment. With nothing but losers, Impossible to get a rah rah happy feeling from it.

Aliens coming from outer-space is a planetary event. And we won, which means to the world at whole it's going to be a good feeling rather than a lovely event where we do nothing but suffer losses. Only those with personal attachments would feel any emotions from that event.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Green Lantern was 2 or 3 above average movies focus grouped into 1 lovely one.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

So, if Deadline's sources are good, it looks like the Agent Carter series is actually happening.

I'm honestly baffled by this, because judging from the One Shot, it'd literally just be a period version of Agents of SHIELD. Even with a stronger protagonist than Coulson, whatever happened to differentiating your shows?

Invaders?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Do they have the rights to the robot Human Torch? Can they say the words "Human Torch"? Also, if anything should have been a Netflix series, its Agent Carter.

Just call him Torch.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Not officially but I'd be very surprised if it didn't get a season 2 followed by comments from Loeb and that saying who they've "listened to the fans" and things are going to be a lot better and different next season.

Just like he did on Heroes.

To be fair to Loeb(Oh God I hate myself), That was more Tim Kring's disaster than his.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Season 4 was the best season besides the first one. loving super-powered Carnies.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

greatn posted:

The finale of S1 is when it became clear how dumb the show was and that it was all going to be downhill from there.

Well, that and the opening of Season 2. Maybe they can make something good if they just abandon all baggage. Also do not have time travel or power absorbing people.

Company Man was so loving good though. It's one of my favorite episodes of any TV Show.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Once again I'm kinda baffled anyone watched that show long enough to explain in detail how bad it got.

Trainwreck analogy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Heroes after Season 1 is shittier than Smallville.

Woah, lets not say things we can't take back.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Medullah posted:

You think it's bad now? Imagine the previous daily/weekly missions you had to get for PVP -

- Early on, there was a "kill 30 people per day/150 people per week on Ilum" mission. This was a nightmare on my PVP server, because the Empire severely outnumbered the Republic. The solution to this was adding "armaments" to the center of Ilum which spawned randomly and would give you one point toward the 30/15 number. This quickly became the most camped area in existence. Eventually they started giving you credit for Warzone kills (up to 10), and finally just did away with the quests.

- The daily WZ requirement went to "Play X amounts of Warzones, wins count double", but the weekly was still "Win 9 warzones". It was insanely frustrating if you had a run of bad teams, because you couldn't just play the Warzones, you had to win. You can't imagine the Real Life trauma you'd get from having 2 nodes on Alderaan and having people decide "HEY 3 NODES IS BETTER THAN 2 LETS GO CAP THEIR OTHER ONE" and watch as you lose one of the nodes you had...only to lose the match.

:allears:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I'm mostly surprised people still play SWOTOR.

It actually is a legit good MMO now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Man, even if I hadn't started watching Arrow and had seen what a good super hero show could be, there's no way I could defend that Deathlok costume. Ugh.

Also: gently caress TV scheduling. No more SHIELD until April after only three episodes in three months? I can't wait until broadcast dies and things move to the Netflix format of everything at once, once a year.

They hosed up by wanting it to return too early, Like ABC didn't realize that the last few episodes have to be put off until at least a week(probably 2) after Winter Solider, as SHIELD supposedly changes pretty dramatically in it and lol spoilers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Civil War was a great loving idea ruined by the pro reg side being evil as gently caress about it

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The problem is Ward isn't a traitor as in actively working against the team.

Hydra has been in SHIELD, since it's inception. He is an agent doing his job and missions given to him from up above.

He wasn't activated until Cap(Well Zola, stupidly) exposed their plan and they sent out the Hydra activation command.

Him secretly being Hydra doesn't change anything about how his character would act or behave.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

zoux posted:

How could you possibly know who's chopper it was?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

XboxPants posted:

I do too but I sure hope it's not on this show. There is nothing I'd like to see less than Man-Thing attempted on the same budget that brought us Lazer-Tag Dethlok.

On the actual show he looks fine.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah the only thing they didn't resolve as a mystery was Skye's history and that's obviously going to be a season 2 thing

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

So what's the alien?

Why does it matter? Humans right now in the Marvel universe have no loving clue what the names of these alien races are. They got a list of some names from Sif, but no context to define which race it was.

It's an alien that Shield captured on Earth, who's blood has healing power along with potentially affecting other things.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Because it is indicative of the show's failing. They introduced a mystery, dragged it out at a snails pace and threw an excuse of "magic alien" and are going to drag out the "magic alien" another season and "what really happened to Coulson when he was brought back". It's like with Skye's parents. An entire season of "who is her parents" followed by they are a shadowy figure. If they've already decided that their parents are an established character why not show that and if they haven't then what's the point of hiding their identity? Like the show is basically back to where it started except one of the characters is bad.

It gives actual closure to an issue rather than just continuing one mystery as a slightly different one.

It's not a mystery though. They literally don't give a gently caress about or know which Alien race it was. What really happened to Coulson was he was given this drug, and had his memories rewritten to remove his knowledge of this procedure.

And like every loving show does the shadowy figure to end the season when doing a parent reveal. We don't know that her parents are an established character. We only know that Reina and Skye are connected somehow, and that Reina knows Skye's parent.

It probably means they haven't cast her parent for real yet, and also even if we did see the parent or know their name unless it was a comic character we would have no context for it.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 14, 2014

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tuxedo Jack posted:

God forbid they leave any mysteries open to explore in the next season... :lost:

The alien will likely be explored after Guardians of the Galaxy in AoS' next season tie in with the movie. If the show is going to bridge the movies, little things like that are perfect for introducing early, letting fester, and then exploring later.

BUT THEY NEED TO COMPLETELY SOLVE ALL THE MYSTERIES NOOOOOW AND NEVER CHANGE THEM UP OR ADD NEW ONES

Next season starts airing after GotG airs anyway. So that could be pretty interesting, especially if the Guardians somehow end up contacting Earth.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

My point wasn't that they left things open, they just didn't solve anything. And leaving things to wait until after films are released is terrible.

I love LOST but dragging the same plot points over mutliple season is what people kept complaining about the show and why they changed that as it went on.

They literally solved how Coulson was able to come back to life. He was injected with Alien Blood that healed him, and then had his memories rewritten. They didn't solve the side effects because how the hell could they know what they are without testing data and history(Which is why real drugs have to go through trials and testing before being released to the masses), which is why May is with Coulson. And The Alien Writing thing is one of those side effects manifesting.

Skye's family wasn't really resolved, other than us finding out she was an 084, and has some connection to Reina, but that's obviously what Season 2 is going to be about.

And Hint: I'm willing to bet that the Alien Blood/Skye's heritage have a link somewhere.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 14, 2014

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

I guess i'll rephrase in that I don't think they resolved any of it well and the "magic alien" is a dumb cop out to set up another mystery rather than just deal with the characters themselves in a good fashion. And I don't trust a show that spent 3/4's of the first season being terrible with the promise of "once Winter Solider comes out it will be good" to not repeat the same mistakes for Season 2 except replace Winter Solider with Avengers 2.

It's not a dumb cop-out though, it only becomes a cop-out if they don't do anything with it and just use it to give an answer and never bring it up again, which they are very clearly not going to do.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

I think it's a bad show that did a lot of bad things and even with improving these strangling plots and their mind set are the underlying issue (along with bad acting and writing) which are keeping the show down. Again for being a terrible show for 3/4s of the run (which I didn't think was a controversial opinion) I don't have much faith on them not redoing this again next season.

Shrug. I didn't think it was bad. Just painstakingly mediocre. I'm willing to give shows that do show improvement the benefit of the doubt though, because the first few episodes are always made in a vacuum, and it isn't til around mid season where they can see criticism for their show. So if it shows improvement after that point(Which it slowly did) I'm generally pretty pretty optimistic.

Maybe it does go back to being mediocre, but shrug. If I ever stop liking a show I just stop watching it(See: Dexter)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Jagermonster posted:

That oozy thing could be a myriad number of powers/features/ailments what have you, it really does seem like they are severely limited and controlled by where the produces or the cinematic universe want to go are trying to buy time to figure it out.

AVClub.com summarized the lack of payoff well in their review of the finale:

I know other people have brought it up, but I'm a fan of Lost too, and Lost fans know better than almost anyone that television shows can only drag out mysteries so far, even if they just serve to motivate character development at the heart of the story. The viewer should never know less than the characters. With this show, they are really flaunting that we are more in the dark than everybody in the show.

Counterpoint: The AV Club reviewer literally didn't pick up on the fact that the "Incentives program" was the family members that they were holding hostage in a facility. When it was all but stated.

Also they flat out said that TAHITI was the Alien Blood treatment, along with the memory wiping.

Jesus that review was bad and written by someone who can't pay attention.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Finding the alien in Agent Carter would be a nice tie-in.

Not to mention potentially seeing the series of events that could lead to Peter Quill being abducted or semt into space.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think Carter will be airing age or alongside shield 2

It's airing during the Shield winter break

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

redbackground posted:

After years of clamoring from comic book fans and possibly BSS Secret Santa recipients, NBC is finally moving ahead with a televised production of Heroes Reborn! Chesty Captain America still to be cast! Jeph Loeb's involvement also unconfirmed!

Yes, He is the only member of that cast to be worth anything, besides Quinto(who hopefully stays away from this mess). He needs to be the only one who returns.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Company Man is up there for my best hour of TV drama ever.

That episode was soo good, and it was all downhill from there.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

Colour me a lot more skeptical on Flash, there might be enough there to build into a good show but the characters need A LOT of work, Barry in particular is a big fat zero right now with seemingly little room for character growth, really not looking forward to a whole season of his goony crush on his adoptive sister. Also the minute long Arrow cameo is by far the worst part of the pilot.

To be fair to his goony crush, he was friends with her before he was adopted, and he was already like 11 or 12 when he was adopted.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

LorneReams posted:

I thought it was pretty good. Some of the tornado stuff was meh, but otherwise, they did a pretty good job of showing what super speed looks like.

I don't think anything will top the poo poo from the new Xmen movie though....that whole sequence ruined speedsters in modern media for me.

You don't blow that scene on the Pilot though. You save that for at least a mid-season finale if not a season finale.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yo, Agents of SHIELD premiere was pretty goddamn great.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

Arguably the episode with the Thor co-stars or whatever was decent and from then on is the tie ins to Winter Soldier.

I was not seeing the Fitz' reveal at all. Strange that Simmons left since she seemed to be in a lot of the promotional material while Fitz wasn't.

She's still around, she just left the main team because she thought it would help him regain his mind.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

zoux posted:

Hmmmmm

Huntress standalone confirmed. Also too bad about the CW president's name.

Please god let Static be in Titans.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Even Skye in AoS have been upgraded to "hacker who karates and shoot people". Maybe even more than that if it ever turns out she has super powers. Unless her superpower is hacking with her brain.

Coincidentally, Chris Hemsworth is playing a hacker in Michael Mann's new movie Blackhat. He's a hacker who is really buff and has military training.

Skye doesn't really Karate people, she can shoot, but poo poo, you could teach anyone to be a decent shot given how much time she's been around people who are very proficient with guns.

Her skill fighting level is probably only like one or maybe two levels above YCMA self defense class. only time she has successfully CQC'd someone is when they were completely underestimating her.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

Never watched SHIELD before, tell me what episode I need to watch to "get" it.

I mean, technically you could watch from 16 on, however you miss a bunch of the setup for that event which means it will have less of an effect on you.

quote:

In terms of Episodes to watch.

1: Introductions to characters.

5: Introduction to recurring villian/antagonist.

7. Introduction to Inner workings of SHIELD, and two important characters for later.

10: Info about how Coulson survived the Avengers movie.

11: More info about Coulson.

14: Continues the Coulson story, and introduces character who becomes reaaaaal important for the rest of the season.

16 - 22: Watch all these

15 is one I recommend but isn't necessary. It's a fun episode with Sif in it, which has a whole bunch of Ward stuff.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

This week they were playing Halo Master Chief Collection™, In Stores Now , like best buds.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Eh, if she was a dude she would still have to work around the SSR as she is literally helping someone indicted on treason, withholding information about his leaving. As it would be hella suspicious how she knows all of this information about Starks weapons and tech.

Not that it's "good" but her being able to blend in and be percieved as not important is one of the most important things a spy does

Which is why she told white knight dude to knock it off as him standing up for her does no good to either of them.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 11, 2015

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

I think it looks great? I mean, thank god it's not the current crotch emblem version of her costume and maybe it'll sway the comics away from it.

wait what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

End of Season Daredevil spoilers

Yeah, the less you think about this being the actual Kingpin, and more of a Kingpin origin story the more sense it makes to me anyway. By the end of the series he finally accepts that he is not a good guy, and is pure evil.

Throughout the series his suits and clothing were getting lighter and lighter until the last scene where he is in jail and wearing nothing but white seething at the wall. Which is closer to his iconic look

When he inevitably gets out, he is going to actually be the Kingpin, and not Wilson Fisk.