Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

mind the walrus posted:

Meanwhile everyone at least knows Superman is "important" as a superhero, even if they had gently caress all idea he was raised in Central Kansas.

Superman's origin is so well known and so ingrained into the general culture that kids practically come out the womb knowing he's the Last Son of Krypton, so yeah it's a pretty big difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Cardboard Box A posted:

In the comics they had like entire divisions of Giant Men and Wasps and supersoldiers that could hulk-out in a limited capacity right? The mass production of superpowers is like the first thing everyone would be working towards in this universe.

That's just in Ultimates I think. Even then, you have cybernetics, power armours, mutant growth hormone and so on so SHIELD definitely has superpower access.

The show is more consistent about the tech level and such so far than the comics are. You have current day NASA tech in one strip and then the government having access to space-planes designed by Reed Richards the next. You have the army as normally equipped real-life dudes, when the US government can afford to build an entire army of Sentinels just to hunt down mutants.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an off-hand reference to Wakanda or Latveria. I'm really hoping we eventually get an Excalibur episode but that's just a pipe dream I think, I may as well hope for a New Mutants TV series.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

DynamicSloth posted:

Also this show is based on Marvel Comics, and in Marvel comics citizens aren't constantly wandering around freaked out by all the aliens and demigods running around blowing up the city every couple of days it's just a convention of the genre that society reverts to a semblance of relatable normality no matter what kind of crazy poo poo happened last week.

One of my favourite little bits in comics is in an issue of Blue Beetle, when Jaime has to explain why he's been missing for a year after Infintie Crisis, he just tells everyone how he was swallowed by a Fry Hole and ended up n the desert a year later (leaving out the superhero part) and everyone in town accepts it because that kind of stuff just happens, and in fact the same thing happened to some dude three towns over.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Barry Convex posted:

Eh, that description is still vague enough that I'm willing to reserve judgment for now.

When I first heard about the Dark World connection, my first thought was that you could have a single Dark Elf remain on earth, and they'd be a huge threat to a street-level team like Coulson's SHIELD group because those things are on a physical par with an Asgardian, but where do you go with that?

I'm leaning towards one of the singularity grenades, or some Kurse juice, however.

My first thought when waiting for the movie was about to start was whether they'd address Thor 2 in the TV show. Firstly so I have an idea of the chronology, but then because it seems like an obvious marketing tool. "I'm watching Shield, and they are mentioning stuff from this new movie, I should go and see it!"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

bobkatt013 posted:

Captain America cards or the word Tahiti

He loves you.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I understand animation, especially targeted at kids, doesn't lend itself to a long running epic series and whatnot. But I wish Marvel would let Weismann or someone produce some quality direct-to-DVD stuff rather than the complete garbage they've put out.

Really? Because, when I was a kid, the cartoons I watched were stuff like 90s Spiderman and Xmen, which had fairly hefty story arcs, and then you have the DCAU stuff that, while still episodic, went for nice arcs every now and then. And not even mentioning the popularity of a lot of shounen anime that are very explicitly very long running series.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

achillesforever6 posted:

Can someone explain to me the reasoning for this as someone who did not watch Smallville?

I watched every drat episode of that show and I'm hosed if I can explain it.

The last series had Darkseid as the primary antagonist but your main character is called "The Red-Blue Blur". Really?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

ToastyPotato posted:

They did an episode featuring Stride gum in which a tainted batch of gum gave Pete super powers. He ate the gum because they were hosting a rave at a Stride Gum factoryasdgjhiasghasdjgfaweuojrht

Yo ho ho, he took a bite of Gum Gum.

Cool moments in Smallville:

- The Flash outrunning Clark in a Super speed race.
- Green Arrow hits a bullet mid flight with an arrow.
- That one time in that one episode where Clark was fighting another superstrength guy and each punch didn't send them careening into a dumpster. Scratch that, the rest of that episode was pretty dire.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

:psyduck:

That's the most bizarre thing i've heard all week, dear god.

I think they even give lil' Jimmy his brother's camera at the funeral. PASSING THE TORCH. :suicide:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, she didn’t pull up an executive summary of the blood work, she pulled up the results themselves complete with fancy close-up cellular analysis comparisons. She wasn’t saying “this says your blood work is bad”, she was saying “look, here’s your blood work, which I can understand to be showing bad results”. Maybe I’m just snapping at air because MCU things run on StarkOS and its defining feature is over-fancy graphic displays of everything, this isn’t a hill I care to die on.

Test results usually come along with the expected ranges for biochem/haematology results (with outliers highlighted, even) and microbiological, pathological and genetic tests come with interpretations from the authorising scientists, doctors aren't expected to know all that stuff by heart, just to interpret the results' relevance in relation to the patient's history.

I know it's not a normal hospital setting but I can buy a reasonably intelligent person being able to look at her results and get that something is hosed even if they can't diagnose her with Parker Radiogenic Superpower Syndrome.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

site posted:

Same that's why I watch with subtitles on

I have good hearing but I sometimes can't really make out what people are saying or song lyrics so subtitles are a godsend. I assume it's some brain thing. :shobon:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Maybe I'll be proven wrong but the show opening with Sam working with the government while the Flagsmashers are introduced as gonna be the villains, but then the US coming out with a new, official white Cap with the shield and everything gives me confidence it's gonna swerve a potential "antifa is bad" message.

Steve wasn't afraid to tell the powers that be to go gently caress themselves to be a hero so I can easily see Sam embracing that (again) as the next Cap being his arc. Along the way, Bucky realises that he'll never have peace, but he can use his skills to fight for a better world and make up for his past misdeeds through good acts going forward. Show ends with him finally telling his friend how his son died, maybe.

Thanks for reading my marvel fanfiction.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
The snap is just half of "all life" though right? It's not necessarily species by species. There might be entire species wiped out, while some are unaffected. Entire towns gone or untouched. Maybe all the cast of a certain TV show or sitcom is gone. Maybe all of a certain cicada species vanished, but no one is gonna notice until they are five years late for the breeding season. There might be entire planets out there that woke up one day and suddenly all their stored food is spoiled and the buildings are run down.

We know that some whale species recovered populations during the blip, maybe carp are doing fine now too.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
If the two Cap teams come into direct conflict (which I imagine they will with Walker being all "don't get in my way") I have to imagine that Walker, at least, gets some serum at some point. Otherwise any fight between Walker, Battlestar and our boys is gonna just be Bucky throwing them both through a building, "off the charts" stats or no.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I'm not really feeling the Invincible show tbh. I can't put my finger on it but everyone feels "off" somehow. Not like, off from the comics or anything but just acting weird and slightly offputing, I dunno.

I'm not sure how I feel about the animation either. A big thing I liked in Invincible is the art, I really love that bright, blocky, colourful style and I don't think I like the animated version as much as something similar, like Young Justice for example.

Maybe I'm just being salty over nostalgia and changes or something. Invincible was one of the titles that really brought me into comics way back when and despite its flaws still avoided a lot of the things about Marvel/DC stuff that I can't stand, but I haven't read it in over a decade so maybe the version I have in my head is better than the real thing was.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I just don't buy that Steve would go back in time and let his best friend be mind tortured into being a diabolical assassin for decades and not do anything about it. If he did that's a pretty big gently caress you to the entire character.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I feel like it's very inconsistent whether people remember Loki is meant to be way stronger and tougher than a human being even if he was getting swirlied by Thor on the reg as a kid.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I feel like it's very inconsistent whether people remember Loki is meant to be way stronger and tougher than a human being even if he was getting swirlied by Thor on the reg as a kid.

I kind of take this back. Lots of awesome Loki action poo poo just taking people apart this week.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Rhyno posted:

Oh and we saw what a little hand holding did so clearly to blow up the TVA and the sacred timeline they gonna BANG

Loki is literally gonna go gently caress himself.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
My main worry over Jenna Coleman being cast was that I thought she was too posh, but it turns out she's a joiner's daughter from blackpool and she's just been acting the whole time!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Jamesman posted:

I looked it up and apparently that guy ate a bomb and it gave him bomb powers.

He ate the Bomb Bomb Fruit?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
That better be a Joanna Constantine show you drat cowards.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Magneto probably should have become an astronomer if he wanted his powers to really go off the rails.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I want to know how they are going to handle Jenny Sparks, what with her whole thing being the spirit of the 20th century. Period piece? Just shifting it forwards two decades?

If they just don't include her then I'm a lot less interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Very fun seeing Loki try to any% speedrun season two