Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hey remember when they tried to squeeze some more mileage out of the 1950s Superman TV series by sticking midgets in dog costumes and making them act out dumb pun-laden scripts on the Superman set?

SUPERPUP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJnsZrVn0vc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The latest episode of Agents of SHIELD featured some mysterious unexplained 'alien' text:

Anyone recognise that alphabet? It could be Doop language for all I know.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They prefer to cover up incidents whenever it's feasible, however. Coulson and Skye had a discussion along the lines of "Remember the public panic over the alien invasion of (some country)?" "No." "That's because we did our job."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Holy poo poo, Marvel's going all in. :woop:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waterhaul posted:

It's just a shame that he's a giant so will be dead by the time the TV shows are being made.

He's only got 5 more years until he's as old as Andre the Giant was when he died. :ohdear:

But he's also been acting in TV shows and movies since the 90s and he's stated that he's keen to do more acting so hopefully he lasts a bit longer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ToastyPotato posted:

It's mostly been freak of the week plots and macguffins that have little to do with anything.

The last episode featured a sonic weapon from 1960s SHIELD/HYDRA comics, Victoria Hand, a mention of the Triskelion and Agent Sitwell from the Thor and Avengers films.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waterhaul posted:

I have watched every Marvel film multiple times and I have no idea who Agent Sitwell is.

He was also in the Marvel one-shot short films "The Consultant" and "Item 47" and he'll also appear in The Winter Soldier, so that's 6 MCU roles to Nick Fury's 7. The poor guy has appeared all over the MCU and it seems like hardly anyone remembers him.

(He's the senior SHIELD agent who Simmons shot in the chest last episode.)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 14, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's getting a bit headscratchy that now we have half the cast right now with secrets that are a big deal, we swear hammered every episode. Tahtiti is a magical place yes I get it.

Coulson actually stumbled over that line this episode as if he'd realised mid sentence that he'd been saying it automatically every time anyone ever mentioned Tahiti. I think he's on the cusp of realising that he's been conditioned to act certain ways and avoid certain thoughts in relation to his miraculous recovery.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah, the 2003 Hulk movie had similar worldwide box office returns to the 2011 Green Lantern movie (although on a lower budget) and most sites give them similar ratings. I'm guessing that the '03 Hulk was testing the waters to check the viability for a shared cinematic universe and was so crappy that Marvel went back to the drawing board and rebooted it 5 years later, slipping it into theatres about a month after Iron Man. The '08 Hulk still failed to break even in the US market and only earned slightly more than the '03 film, probably less if you take inflation into account.

I think that DC's biggest mistake was to not have Nolan's Batman trilogy lead into Batman vs Superman but The Dark Knight Rises was released only a few months after The Avengers so they wouldn't have known that shared universes could be super profitable when they were wrapping it up.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 5, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

StumblyWumbly posted:

Hulk was Universal, Iron Man was the first Marvel movie.

Ugh, of course it was, I'm a dope. :doh:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

omg chael crash posted:

Can someone spoil the AoS twist for me? I stopped watching a few weeks ago.

Remember the guy with the CENTIPEDE thingy on his arm in the first episode which gave him super soldier powers but which was unstable and nearly made him explode? SHIELD had spirited him away to a training camp but when the CENTIPEDE people saw him and Coulson out on a mission they kidnapped his son and demanded a hostage swap, and instead of taking the stabilized super soldier dude they grabbed Coulson.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Re: Agent Carter

Hakkesshu posted:

It just seems like a weird decision that is probably doomed to fail. I barely remember her character from the film, why do they think anyone wants a full show about her? It's like Marvel is just throwing poo poo at a wall to see what sticks.
She'll appear in some flashback scenes in Winter Soldier, hopefully that'll refresh everyone's memory.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sleepingbuddha posted:

They better at least try to make him look a little bit like a robot zombie monster. I don't even remember much about the character, but I thought he was so cool looking when I was a kid, I turned an extra Robocop toy into Dethlok. Then a month later, Toy Biz came out with their figure.

Mike got all hosed up in the explosion, losing a leg and getting his face all mangled and melted. He's not gonna be pretty when they've finished patching him together.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 24, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lurdiak posted:

Really? Outside of the very rare cameo and like two team-ups, he barely interacted with anyone in the larger DCU once he got his own book. Bringing in guest stars would already take away from what makes him work as a character.

But some of my favourite Constantine moments were from the original Book of Magic trade. :saddowns:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

StumblyWumbly posted:

I don't know how big $4 mil is in something like this, but it seems a bit silly. What were they going to do, move DD to Hell's Kitchen, Toronto?

Detroit should have offered to let them fence off a few derelict blocks of buildings and turn them into a giant film set.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waterhaul posted:

The thing with Arrow is that even if you don't like the current storyline the way they power through everything at such a fast pace just give it an episode, maybe two, and they'll have moved onto something even better.

Hey, Agents of SHIELD will finish introducing their first storyline any episode now and then you'll see! These last five and a half months of intro will finally pay off!!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

muscles like this? posted:

They also name dropped a bunch of alien races as Coulson asked Sif about any blue ones.

The full list is Interdites, Levians, Pheragots, Kree, Sarks, Centaurians and Frost Giants. Someone did their homework,the Sarks only ever appeared in an Adam Warlock story in one issue of Strange Tales way back in 1975.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

His hair is poo poo, he hasn't shaved, he looks like he slept in those clothes and he seems to be somewhat hungover. Perfect.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
loving hell. :gonk:

You know how months ago there was a big discussion about how no named super-powered Marvel characters were appearing in this MCU tie-in show? Well maybe the execs who were putting the kibosh on that weren't doing it because they wanted to save the characters for potential future movies, maybe they were doing it because they genuinely love the characters and wanted to save them from this horrible fate.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Maybe they're doing a wacky comedy sequence where the Clairvoyant is getting Mike to duck in and out a changing room and try on all sorts of funny supervillain costumes and this is one of the hilariously awful ones before they get to the awesome cool costume???? You can't tell me that someone designed that and someone in costuming made it and the show runners signed off on it and allowed it in front of the cameras and they're all serious about it.

(I'm still in Stage 1: Denial)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
To borrow some lines from a different cinematic universe ...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lars Blitzer posted:

You're closer to the truth than you think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gInrQl-Z30 :psyboom:

That's loving terrible.

This is so much worse. Remember to read right-to-left!(Slightly :nws: for sexy talk)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sleepingbuddha posted:

In the preview for next week, Coulson says, "At least our team is still intact." Really, Coulson? Really?

If Ward can somehow hide the fact that Garrett is loose and Hand is dead they have absolutely no reason to suspect that he's a Hydra agent so yeah, the team's all back together. Triplett will probably stick around so the team will even be bigger than before!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

notthegoatseguy posted:

They also showed how Victoria was specifically bleeding out.

Pffft, pro wrestlers pull that stunt all the time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

muscles like this? posted:

The thing I don't get about these is that they put a lot of effort into them but I have no clue where you're supposed to go to see them.

I think they're posting them on their official Twitter accounts or something

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
As I noted in the TVIV, there's a meta level where Grant Ward's double agent act also extended to portraying himself as a boring character in a TV show. He fooled SHIELD and he fooled us viewers.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WarLocke posted:

IMO the Blackout stuff can be excused for being bad because

That sounds more like Battered Wife syndrome than a TV critique. "They stank up the B plot so it wouldn't distract us from the A plot, they only do it because they love us! :( "

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

XboxPants posted:

There is nothing I'd like to see less than Man-Thing attempted on the same budget that brought us Lazer-Tag Dethlok.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Man-Thing was possibly flagged in the MCU already when Ellen Brandt appeared in Iron Man 3 (she was the Extremis chick who fought with Tony in the restaurant) although I can't remember if they explained how her face got scarred or whether they left it open. She's almost exclusively a Man-Thing villain in the comics continuity.

Also there was an awful Man-Thing live action movie only a few years before MCU phase 1 started which was supposed to be direct-to-video but was eventually released as a SciFi channel TV movie. They apparently had a budget of $7.5 million (tiny in Hollywood terms but a lot more than Agents of SHIELD could afford) and their Man-Thing was a guy in a rubber suit with CGI tentacles which looked terrible:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aphrodite posted:

WB doesn't want Batman on TV while there's Batman movIes.

Apparently they also don't want Batman off TV so I guess this was the compromise.

So is it just a coincidence that this, Arrow and Agents of SHIELD are all set in superhero universes but none of the main characters have any super powers? If I had to guess I'd assume that keeping the FX budgets as low as possible was a big factor in getting these series greenlit.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aphrodite posted:

Well there's also The Flash.

Ah of course there is. :doh:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

greatn posted:

Is there potential for other DC cameos in Constantine, like Zauriel or Etrigan?

Also Swamp Thing, Zatanna, Timothy Hunter, Doctor Occult, Mr E, Spectre, Phantom Stranger, Dr Fate ...

I'll be disappointed if Swamp Thing doesn't at least get namechecked, for old times sake. :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Soonmot posted:

SHIELD already name checked Man-Thing.
Swamp Thing gave Constantine his first break so John owes him.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 13, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
You don't want to get bitten by a radioactive PS+ and get Amazing PS+ Powers. Trust me on that one.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waterhaul posted:

It's all the same issue Alias #22. Just after feeling ignored by Peter (not knowing that he's been bite by the spider) she almost gets run down by the truck that gives Matt his powers

The same truck also caused the TMNT to mutate. It was a very busy truck that day.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There'll be a wacky apiarist one week saying "Wait 'til they get this load of bees!", an exporter the next week saying "Wait til' they fill that boat with cheese!" etc etc

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Deadpool posted:

No, since the new Thor isn't the child of Odin. But that means Angela is!

:eng101: Disney Princesses don't have to actually be royalty, they just have to embody the "princess mythology". If Mulan can be a Disney Princess then so can Thor. :colbert:

(They usually also have to appear in a Disney musical film and they're not official until they have a special induction ceremony at Disneyland so neither Thor nor Angela nor Princess Leia qualify.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Just in case people didn't get the joke, Eric Kripke has gone on record saying that he's a huge fan of the Hellblazer comics and he based Castiel's look on John Constantine.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aphrodite posted:

Noah Taylor as Johnny Royale. I don't know who he is but he looks perfect.

He's an Australian actor probably best know as Locke from Game of Thrones although people might also remember him from The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Error 404 posted:

Get those guys some wigs or something at least. Haha.

How soon we forget the brave sacrifice of Rasta Catering Dude