Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

mycot posted:

Or that Slade Wilson is going to stay pretty and in possession of two eyes forever and this is not setup for him to get hosed up and lose an eye.
Wait, the prettyboy assassin is Slade Wilson? How did I miss that?

Also, I think they're handling that other thing very well. Like I said, I wanted Lois (and Jimmy!) to find out, I'm happy it didn't get dragged out and I'm also happy Lois admitted they she and Clark were starting to date. Take that stupid Clark/Lois/Superman love triangle and the will-they-won't-they and bury them with the other dead things, thank you very much forever. And I really do think the conversation was handled well. Clark had multiple opportunities to come clean and he balked at every single one, so Lois is justified in her anger, but as Clark points out, he felt that he had to lie because it was Lois' stated goal to tell everyone his secrets, and she has no good response for that, just an immediate backtrack of "well no now that I know it's you, I'm not gonna do that". They're both in the wrong, they're gonna squabble for most of the next episode and then make up and tell Jimmy.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Arist posted:

100% agreed. People are freaking out that Lois is mad that Clark lied, but the real issue is that Lois, through the entire episode, is constantly giving him chances he's refusing to take.
Maybe "Lois gets fed up with the denials and jumps off a building in front of Clark" is a canon event?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Just to check -- and this is probably going to be my own fault for having the expectation -- but there was absolutely nothing hinting to the existence of Teddy Altman in this show about Skrull refugees living on Earth dealing with the sociopolitical fallout of their lost empire in a war against the Kree? Like, the bar was subterranean and they still tripped on it?
Not a hint, no.

They're also clearly building to Young Avengers without taking the opportunity to bring back Billy and Tommy in Multiverse of Madness, so... who knows.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Watched the latest Harley Quinn, this is still the second best Batman related thing after TAS.
Ever since the end of S3, it's been driving me bugfuck that the comics haven't stolen the idea of Harley finding out Batman's secret identity and becoming his therapist.

It makes so much sense -- she's literally the one trained psychiatrist in the world who actually understands what he's going through, how much one bad day can warp your entire life, what living in their world is like, and she's got knowledge that Bruce doesn't, namely that you can in fact claw your way back out of that pit, it's not a life sentence.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Assepoester posted:

Original BTAS Harley was depicted as a ditzy blonde and a lesser threat, often treated dismissively by Batman, and in Dini's Mad Love origin comic he explicitly depicts her as a bad psychology student who only got good grades because she slept with her professor.
Yeah, he did, those were the panels I was going to image search and post here before you said it first.

But that was bad and stupid, and I like her way more now that the characterization seems to be stabilizing around "I didn't stop being a PhD just because I went crazy".

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Considering how many of Batman's other villains are allowed to be competent with some accomplishments (even if narrow -- fear gas!), and considering how many of their origin stories are about how their obsessions consumed them, it really was just sexism and lazy/bad writing to treat Harley like that.
I think it really shouldn't be overlooked that she was originally conceived as not only a bad guy, but a henchman. Dini didn't know he was creating one of DC's most enduring characters of the last three decades, he thought he'd made a disposable moll for the Joker with a fun costume. Even if the baddies sometimes get to be smart, the underlings almost never do, and that's where Harley started.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Gonna just go ahead and ignore that page that just got posted because it doesn't loving exist, what panels, ha ha.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Harley and Penguin are my two favorite Bat-villains. Penguin because he's not really a lunatic, just a smart and nasty crime boss. Joker and Bane are my least favorite.
Original recipe Bane is so much more interesting than what he's turned into. The idea that he's this big hulking bruiser and he just... doesn't use it, because he doesn't have to, because what you really need to be afraid of is his tactical acumen and by the time he comes out to actually throw punches, he beat you ten steps ago and this is just the victory lap? That dude is scary. Runner-up crown to Comedy Relief Bane from Harley Quinn, I guess. If he's gonna be ruined by years of misuse and Tom Hardy's weird voice, might as well lean into it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I don't think being a 4th wall breaker suits Harley at all, personally. A bit of genre savviness is as far as I'd go; for instance, I'm convinced she showed up in The Suicide Squad even after becoming a good guy in her own movie because Harley just goes and commits crimes with a 10 year or less prison sentence whenever she wants to hang out with her Squad friends, because she knows it's not like she's gonna get killed or anything. To her it's just a fun vacation.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Air Skwirl posted:

It first came up during the Batman Beyond TV show (possibly the Return of the Joker Movie, but I think the tv show) but it was just a sly wink and with the implication Night Wing had long left being part of the Gotham scene or Barbara's life. I can't remember the exact line but it was something like Terry saying "yeah, you were his partner" and Barbara saying "and more" and a reaction shot of Terry.
And it was stupid then, too.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I really need to watch this superman show.
You really do. Everyone does. It is, without hyperbole, the best adaptation of the character in at least two decades.

Next episode looks more light-hearted, but I'm interested to see what happens with Lois' new knowledge and possession of kryptonite. Is she going to turn around and start keeping secrets from Clark now? She'd better not!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

howe_sam posted:

It's a good Superman no doubt, but I wouldn't say it's head and shoulders above what Tyler Hoechlin is doing on Superman & Lois.
Wasn't intended as a diss on Superman & Lois by any means. I like it more than Superman & Lois and also what Supergirl did with him, though, and those are the other two contenders for anything resembling a decent adaptation since JLU went off the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I will eat any amount of hats if that is not General Lane.