Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
You're missing the original (and best) human target intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b7JrOj6HAc

Now with the Mission Impossible Mask Making Machine and the Forever Aloft Stealth Bomber HQ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dexo posted:

Why would SHIELD change much. They are operating much more publicly(as in Everyone knows who SHIELD is, and they have free access to most countries in the world) They are still trying to keep the small scale stuff under wraps so it isn't known just how far off the rails the world is going. The Big stuff they can't hide but so long as people think it's an isolated incident people will eventually get back to their regularly scheduled ambivalence.

If When something Major comes up they still have to go beg the Avengers to do something about it.
I could see a more militarized SHIELD that is openly focused on cultivating and harnessing superpowers as an obvious consequence of the alien invasion in Avengers. Maybe this is actually going on and we just haven't seen it yet, who knows. Maybe all this Centipede and messing with Extremis stuff isn't actually AIM, but yet another SHIELD division. Or maybe other parts of SHIELD aren't behind it but are working at cross purposes with the main cast, covertly assisting AIM/Hydra/whomever with these experiments and intending to swoop in and take any useful results.

In the comics they had like entire divisions of Giant Men and Wasps and supersoldiers that could hulk-out in a limited capacity right? The mass production of superpowers is like the first thing everyone would be working towards in this universe.

Also how has the Shadow Council of Nations not pumped a few trillion dollars into fast-tracking the creation of XCOM SWORD at this point, in this universe where humanity has (1) discovered the existence of alien life and (2) found it to be extremely hostile? You would think some people at SHIELD would be aware of this new sister agency and at least mentioned it a few times at this point.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Lurdiak posted:

It's not integral to Danny Rand's character to be a white guy who became heir to an asian culture's super secret martial art, but I don't think we need more "asian=kung fu" stereotypes in popular culture.
Yeah that's true, but we also don't need more white guy leads either, martial arts masters or not.

So hey they can make him black.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The last episode featured a sonic weapon from 1960s SHIELD/HYDRA comics, Victoria Hand, a mention of the Triskelion and Agent Sitwell from the Thor and Avengers films.
"During the Avengers' tenure, the Triskelion was attacked by vampires, in which the subsequent battle resulted with the entire facility being teleported to the middle of a desert in Iran"

LOL comics and all, but it would be hilarious for something like that to happen on this show

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ToastyPotato posted:

CN absolutely screwed YJ over. As well as JLU and GL. And you know who runs/owns CN? Same people who own DC. Warner Bros. has no idea what to do with any of the things it owns. Looney Tunes, DC, they are just completely in over their heads.
According to someone who works at CN, the relationship between all the Time Warner subsidiaries is basically like the Microsoft Org Chart:

That would explain all the "can't use DC movie characters in the DC tv shows" - they weren't from execs thinking of the brand and not confusing people with multiple versions, they were from inter-agency turf wars and naturally the movie studios always won out.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno, a show where John can't say gently caress or oval office seems like it just can't really be Hellblazer. Unless NBC's broadcasting standards changed massively since the last time I watched Late Night.
It's not going to be Hellblazer. It's Constantine. It will have more to do with the movie than the comics. He'll be an American and trying to quit smoking.

That said, if they bring back Peter Stormare as Lucifer, it will have justified itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rVFse1LLQs

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Barry Convex posted:

So, if Deadline's sources are good, it looks like the Agent Carter series is actually happening.

I'm honestly baffled by this, because judging from the One Shot, it'd literally just be a period version of Agents of SHIELD. Even with a stronger protagonist than Coulson, whatever happened to differentiating your shows?
I'm guessing it will be differentiated from Agents of SHIELD by actually being good.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

WarLocke posted:

I don't think so. Flash doesn't actually burn more calories moving fast because he's not actually moving fast; the Speed Force is doing all the work. Or something similar.

ToastyPotato posted:

Seeing as Flash's recent TV cartoon appearances have had him eating a lot (as Wally West at least) I would imagine that they do end up going with that for the show, even if it isn't comic accurate, mostly because it is a visual gag they are going to want to pull and gives him a "quirk" they can play with.
Flash eating an entire punchbowl full of cornflakes in super speed was the best moment of the 90's show

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Waterhaul posted:

I wouldn't really call it a proud Marvel tradition when you have SHIELD for ages and obviously the likes of AIM and MODOK and then Whedon comes along with the dumbly named SWORD and then every organisation has to be an acronym.
Wait Whedon created SWORD? Back when he wrote for comics? I thought SWORD was as old as SHIELD or something.

Anyway, if you're going to have crazy acronyms, just embrace it and go all out. That's the best way. I mean Arrow has HIVE and it fits right in.

Lurdiak posted:

Don't forget the rarely-mentioned transdimensional security authority, A.R.M.O.R.

WarLocke posted:

This is a joke, right? Transdimensional security authority?

Lurdiak posted:

They're like SWORD for interdimensional excursions. I think they have a Mummy Captain America in their basement. Morbius worked there for a bit.

WarLocke posted:

gently caress, I gotta google this poo poo. That's ridiculous.
This is exactly the sort of ridiculousness the show could use.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Going with this

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

fatherboxx posted:

There is no way in hell any network can greenlight a series where 90% of the cast is Native American. drat shame, because Scalped perfectly fits the template of a modern crime show with its constant stream of cliffhangers and revelations.

And even if the casting would somehow be alright, you just know that the fans would only care about "super-badasses" Nitz and Diesel.
The Red Road stars Jason Momoa of Stargate Atlantis/Game of Thrones/Conan fame... who is Native Hawaiian.

Close enough for Hollywood, I guess.

Aphrodite posted:

Wells is another character on the show. He's the guy in charge of the particle accelerator project (and therefore creating The Flash.)

Dr. Light probably won't be in the show. He's a terrible character. He was a Justice League villain, then got demoted to kind of a joke villain. Years later they retconned that as his having been magically lobotomized for being a serial rapist. Using him will just make people think of that whole mess so he's probably sticking to a name drop.
Isn't Dr. Light a woman?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I'd be totally cool if SWORD shows up in the MCU/Agents of SHIELD as basically Stargate Command, and they're like "yeah we've been doing offworld exploration with stargates for years and we're launching the first earth spaceship made with Asgardian technology in like a week, we're calling it The Enterprise, see ya later" and everyone is just like WTF

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

jng2058 posted:

Oh there's a chance they could make it awesome. But if they did, they'd cancel the fucker after one season because it was too expensive.
It's a miniseries. It's not going to get more than one season.

At most there are 3 parts worth of material in there.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hakkesshu posted:

Looks fairly dull and lifeless, I have no real interest, but man is that a quick turn-around. It doesn't feel like it was announced that long ago.
Gotta go forward with it fast before a WB exec shakeup turns the deal sour

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah that looks like a surprisingly decent Supernatural meets Elementary, which is probably the exact right tone to take.

I wonder how much of the original satire will be updated for 2016 Obama's America such as Goldman Sachs demons with baby skin lampshades?

ufarn posted:

It seems to me you really have to love the comics to like that trailer. The actor's acting was really flat, and it didn't look like the writing knew whether to be serious or humorous.

Hopefully it won't air against Sleepy Hollow, so fans of SH can double dip, but I'm extremely skeptical based on the trailer.

Air it after or before, and who knows, maybe it'll at least get some of that audience.
It's airing on Fridays.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

goldenoreos posted:

That's really lame. I want to give the show a chance, but knowing Constantine is going to pronounce his name that way is going to bother the hell out of me.
When he is in America they should pronounce it teen, because that's the way 'mericans pronounce it. When he visits England it should be tine.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Ummmm... is the involvement of Heavy Metal cause for concern? Because that Metal Hurlant Chronicles TV series that just aired on SyFy was hilaribad.

Hakkesshu posted:

Heroes was a bad show, but I honestly don't think this is a terrible idea. I hope it's good, TV in general is in a different place than it was then, so maybe they learned something?

I bet Masi Oka returns as well. Not like he's doing anything noteworthy.
Masi Oka is a regular on Hawaii Five O and he does a pretty good job. But I'm sure he has time to cameo in a short series.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dan Didio posted:

Guess which comic incarnation of the character is considered the most popular, most consistent and well known, friend. Hence why Waterhaul would feel that the movie's presentation of Constantine would feel at odds with the character, buddy!

Mimir posted:

Has Katana ever had a sidekick named Wakizashi? If not, what are comic writers even doing?
Americans know what katanas are but have no idea what the gently caress any other Japanese weapons are.

Well except for what the other Ninja Turtles use, but those are actually Okinawan weapons.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
When the real people of GOTHAM become comics, the men become fatter or stay the same and the women become thinner... and lose all their internal organs

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Can't wait for the Marvel and DC universes to become one with the Tommy Westphallverse

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Skwirl posted:

Compared to Batman? Not at all. It's probably the best of the nineties Marvel cartoons, but that's damning with faint praise.
I would say Iron Man Season 2 and Fantastic Four Season 2 were better than X-Men as a whole, but that's not really fair since those were very short seasons, and I'm sure you could just as easily pick out 13 pretty good episodes of X-Men from the whole run. If you take both the first and second seasons of each as whole they come out much worse, of course.

X-Men absolutely does not hold up at all as a "serious" the series you most likely perceived it as, as a kid, but it does "hold up" as a very watchable "silly" show with strong designs and a pretty good, very 90s soundtrack.

I mean this is a show where Professor X and Magneto stuff a plane full of TNT (as in literal red boxes that say TNT on the side) and 911 it into a giant towering robot. Also this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4LMs6tELrE

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Skwirl posted:

Okay, what episode does Agents... become watchable. Because the first four episodes were godawful, but the way you fuckers talk about it make me want to give it a second chance. Assume I'm able to google any missing plot links (ie, I don't want to watch a bad episode just because it relates to a later, better episode).
I actually really liked the fourth episode (Eye Spy), I thought it was the only one of the early episodes where you got the feeling of the team coming together to pull off a fun and tense spy caper.

Anyway, besides the first four episodes, this is a good viewing order:

7 1-07 12/Nov/13 The Hub [Recap] [Trailer]
10 1-10 10/Dec/13 The Bridge [Recap]
11 1-11 07/Jan/14 The Magical Place [Recap] [Trailer]

Then 13 through the end

13 1-13 04/Feb/14 T.R.A.C.K.S. [Recap] [Trailer]
14 1-14 04/Mar/14 T.A.H.I.T.I. [Recap]
15 1-15 11/Mar/14 Yes Men [Recap] [Trailer]
16 1-16 01/Apr/14 End of the Beginning [Recap]
17 1-17 08/Apr/14 Turn, Turn, Turn [Recap]
18 1-18 15/Apr/14 Providence [Recap]
19 1-19 22/Apr/14 The Only Light in the Darkness [Recap]
20 1-20 29/Apr/14 Nothing Personal [Recap]
21 1-21 06/May/14 Ragtag [Recap]
22 1-22 13/May/14 Beginning of the End [Recap]

Skips the worst episodes, still gives you enough plot

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 25, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Arrow was good from the start :colbert:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dacap posted:

Here's what Captain Boomerang will look like on Flash

The guy on the right seems to have a pretty small head?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

muscles like this? posted:

Morena Baccarin has joined the cast of Gotham as Dr Leslie Thompkins.
So I guess Alfred finally gets over the Wayne's Last Wish being their crippling aversion to the mental health profession

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
ABC like all the major networks makes more money from cable carriage/on demand fees at this point than they do from ads. You're lucky the shows are up on the website for free as fast as they are.

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't see what's so bad about the Fury Road trailer. None of the Mad Max films were masterpieces
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CjMgCOtJrs

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ToastyPotato posted:

But in giving up his blood lust he has gained the ability to survive being stabbed all the way through the chest and kicked off a mountain, in the snow, wearing only pants, by doing nothing more than drinking moldy tea and applying bandages, so he has that going for him.
Lazarus tea?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gaz-L posted:

I'm mostly happy that it probably means AKA JJ will start with Ritter throwing a man through her office window while screaming "gently caress!"
I'm going to concur with the "there will be FX/cable levels of violence and profanity" sentiment, but that does mean there will be no fucks.

Agents of Shield already has way more blood than the PG-13 marvel movies can get away with.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

If she was actually played as the bitch from apartment 23 but with superpowers that would be awesome. Though they already cast someone other than Dawson as the purple man. I guess I can always dream.
That's because James Van Der Beek will be playing himself again.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Deadpool posted:

Tom Ellis has been cast as Lucifer on the new Fox show. He's got a long list of TV credits on IMDB but I've never seen a single thing on it.
I am severely disappointed that they did not cast Idris Elba

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The MSJ posted:

From the right, they are Angar The Screamer, Karla Faye Gideon (not a villain in the comics), Zabo himself, and no idea who the other two are.
This looks like a WWE promo

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

fadam posted:

Sure, and I agree that all this debate and discussion is largely pointless because who knows how the show is actually going to turn out, but aren't trailers usually consistent in tone and content to the finished product?

Skwirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYh7mrJxbXw

Edit: Did everyone talking about how Supergirl is the first female led comic show forget Peggy Carter exists and was renewed for a second season?
You forgot the "fights for family and lives for love" Batman Begins promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSe6tvfedb0

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, with Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead's numbers they'd be stupid not to.
On the other hand you know how Hollywood loves shows with 99% female cast members.

There was a THE ONLY MAN LEFT SciFi channel made for TV movie with no budget a while back, but obviously it was just a really cheap TV movie and not a high budget prestige series.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

nosophoros posted:

Maybe this has been subject of discussion earlier but I'm super eager for the Punisher in Daredevil's season two. Maybe just maybe it'll be a decent portrayal of the character for once!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF28ceFJJ3A

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

twistedmentat posted:

Ah I haven't read the original mini in forever so I thought for some reason Rogers didn't know who he was, that's why he was dressing like a native American, as they had found him.

It's too bad Marvel doesn't do direct to dvd movies like DC does, stuff like that would be perfect for those releases.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G1pNYRbyPQ

I like how the lips are animated at 2 fps

X-O posted:

That Red Tornado costume looks just as bad on the show as it does in the promo shots.

http://i.imgur.com/QescvUO.jpg
This is beautiful

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ultragonk posted:

Best superhero cartoon series? 90s X-Men? 90s Spider-man? Justice league? It's Spider-Woman isn't it.

Lurdiak posted:

It's the 92 Batman cartoon, not even a question.
Yeah. But if we discount Batman on the technicality that he's not a superhero, it's actually Season 2 of Iron Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y63i2NR9-LE

Lurdiak posted:

Please do not sass the voice acting of the 90s Marvel shows, aka the only genuinely great thing about them. Even Kevin Conroy's Batman isn't nearly as iconic as Cathal J. Dodd's Wolverine or Christopher Daniel Barnes' Spider-man.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because you were nine yeah.

They were both still hilariously bad.
I think you might consider that incredibly hammy acting can be an asset in comic book shows

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gaz-L posted:

There's also now publicity pictures of the Vixen actress in her live-action costume. I wonder if they'll give her long hair in the second run of the cartoon.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3747941
Huh

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wait was this "ninjas must dig a hole in NYC" thing not in the comics or anything?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Congrats shippers, Skye/Ward is back on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
iZombie has both heroes and villains with superpowers.

Gotham has uh... Mr. Freeze?