Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

ToastyPotato posted:

Anyone got a complete list? I didn't pay attention until I heard Dibny.

I might not have gotten all of them, but I definitely heard Bea DaCosta (Fire), Al Rothstein (Atom-Smasher), and Grant Emerson (Damage).

And obviously, Ronnie Raymond isn't actually dead, so there's no reason they'd have to be should the writers decide to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Oh, also Will Everett (Amazing-Man).

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

With all the DCU elements already appearing or referenced in Flash, I wouldn't rule out seeing some of the magical characters on it in a season or two. Not quite the same thing, of course.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but these are reviews from people who think Agents of SHIELD is a good show, how much can you trust them?

Seriously though, why is "the amount of plot pushed forward" considered the high water mark for quality in a TV show?

It is a good show, though. At least currently.

That specific praise should probably be taken with a grain of salt, though. There were advance reviews for the S1 finale that interpreted Coulson taking over SHIELD as a huge event that would "obviously" have repercussions for the films.

EDIT: oh, hmm, turns out the reviewer Dacap is probably referring to is also the same one who said that about the S1 finale. Yeah, grain of salt.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 9, 2014

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

New interview with the Daredevil showrunner. And Jeph Loeb's there too, I guess.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/12/29/daredevil/

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

Entire series of Daredevil goes up 10th of April. Here's a dumb motion poster video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h334vn103YM

Also, one of Netflix's execs is now saying that the Marvel shows will be released at approximately one-year intervals, which is really odd given that Jessica Jones was confirmed for 2015 just a month ago. Possibly a mistake; will wait for clarification.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

And again, Marvel and Netflix issued a press release just a bit over two weeks ago that confirmed AKA Jessica Jones for 2015, so not sure what's up.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Consequentialness is a terrible standard by which to gauge quality, and that mentality in comics is why even terrible event miniseries are still huge sellers.

Also, it's highly unlikely that any Marvel TV series will ever be consequential to the films on any sort of substantial sort of storytelling level, both due to the practical challenges (different people involved, different budget, different production schedule, different audience sizes), as well as the more abstract risk of cultivating the perception over time that you have to watch X seasons of TV to "get" the newest film.

And yes, with the recent Inhumans reveal, SHIELD certainly feels more consequential, which is a good thing as long as the writers know what they're doing with that storyline. That's not the same thing as actually being consequential, though.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

No, not her, the AKA Jessica Jones showrunner. DeKnight is just in charge of Daredevil, I thought?

Yeah, Melissa Rosenberg is the showrunner.

DeKnight has actually said a fair few times that he doesn't know much about plans for Daredevil beyond his own series, so my sense is that it'll be more self-contained than the rest of the Defenders project.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

First good look at Other-Amell's Firestorm costume:

Vixen getting CW online animated series, seemingly set in the Arrowverse:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

Weird parts of Birds of Prey:

-Gotham is called New Gotham for some reason
-Everything is framed in terms of metahumans. The super villains were all apparently metahumans, and Batman was the one who kept them in check. So, in this world, Batman's basically a Sentinel.

I never watched it, but it also seemed to be a really weird hodgepodge of multiple DC continuities on top of all the weird original stuff: main DCU (Barbara Gordon was Batgirl, gets crippled by Joker and becomes Oracle); Earth-2 (Huntress is Batman and Catwoman's daughter); the Burton films (Catwoman was a metahuman); and the DCAU (Harley Quinn exists, Joker is voiced by Mark Hamill).

Oh, yeah, and its Black Canary was just a teenager with psychic powers, who later turned out to be the daughter of the real Black Canary.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

The only real similarity between the two is that they're about fairy tale characters in the real world. Which isn't exactly the most original idea in the world.

Yeah, that "Fables knockoff" poo poo has always been pretty inane and poorly reasoned.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

It tends to slip by a lot of people, but Matt's in his late teens, (or possibly even in college) when Jack dies. He's not Batman.

Wait, he is? I made the same nitpick earlier today and was totally unaware of this. LOL.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

It's still so weird to me that they're doing a big Inhumans arc. Not just because the film is still years away, because the pertinent source material is no more than a year and a half old. But I do hope it works.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

At least 99% of all Inhumans stories prior to fall 2013 are about Attilan and/or the Royal Family characters, so unless you're expecting to see those on SHIELD before the 2019 film, they're not particularly pertinent.

It's really only with Inhumanity that they've even attempted to develop any sort of Inhumans mythos that isn't entirely centered around those two things.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

I seriously only remember him showing up with Garrett a couple of times and only being in a few scenes here and there, until the big HYDRA flip, where he became a slightly more important character and that was more than halfway through the season at that point. . But even then I felt like he barely got any screen time. In the 32 episodes that ran before his character died, he appeared in 18, and a bunch of those appearances were pretty damned small. Even in season 2, he would only show up here or there, except for the few times he actually went on a mission and did something. He was a busy actor, which is why he couldn't stick around.

Basically what I am saying is that he was by no means a main character on the show so it was weird seeing all these characters reminiscing about how much they liked being around him when we barely saw any of that.

Yeah, he had almost nothing to do in S2 except die. The mourning just didn't quite feel earned.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Grain of salt: Devin Faraci says he's "hearing very bad buzz on Daredevil." Granted, he's been pretty negative on the show and the rest of the Defenders project for a while, so we'll have to wait until the reviews hit (later this week, I think) to see how much of this is confirmation bias and how much is an accurate summary of critical opinion.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I stand by everything I said about SHIELD's narrative relevance to the films, or rather lack thereof. Feel free to think what you want of that.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Noel Murray of AVClub and Tim Goodman of THR didn't like it. Those are the only outright negative sentiments I've seen from anyone with access to the screener episodes, though I expect a lot more reviews coming shortly.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I'm not generally sympathetic to the notion that SHIELD needs a big-screen payoff to justify its existence, but I will say that it'd be a lot easier to care about the Gonzales storyline if there were more than a marginal chance of it having ramifications for the broader MCU. It's certainly a drat sight better than Centipede last season, but it does kinda feel like it's similarly killing time until the AOU episodes.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I doubt they have the CG budget for any Ultron drones, honestly.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

zoux posted:

Do you have a link to the AVClub review?

Murray hasn't reviewed it yet. He just tweeted that he's saving his full thoughts for the review, but that "I find the early raves baffling." Goodman hasn't either; he just tweeted about how he found it "hokey" that no one just shoots Daredevil.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Nah, I have to partially agree. Not that the show is ashamed of the comic-booky stuff (that vibe I don't get at all), but that it places so little emphasis on it this season in favor of Gritty, Realistic Crime that the few parts that do play up the more fantastic stuff in episodes 7 and 9 feel pretty incongruous.

That's not to say that I'd have been happier had said elements been ignored entirely; to do so wouldn't feel true to the character or this universe. But I do wish DeKnight et al. had either introduced those elements in a more subtle manner a la Madame Gao, or made a more comic-booky, less "realistic" show that placed more emphasis on those elements. (Preferably the latter, especially since it's hard to see how any Daredevil S2 could be made without taking things in a more fantastic direction anyway, given the other Netflix shows and certain plot threads in this one).

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/17/marvel-john-ridley

Entertainment Weekly posted:

Let the speculation begin: EW has learned that Oscar-winning writer-producer John Ridley (12 Years a Slave) is teaming up with Marvel to develop a mysterious new TV series.

We hear the deal involves reinventing an existing Marvel superhero character or property for ABC—but all sides are staying quiet on exactly which title Ridley is adapting.

This comes on the heels of EW breaking the news that Marvel and ABC are also developing a spinoff series to The Avengers tie-in Agents of SHIELD.

What's crazy is that this is apparently separate from the reported Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spinoff, which would make for a total of FOUR Marvel shows on ABC (not all concurrently, but still) if everything including Agent Carter gets picked up.

I don't understand how that makes business sense for ABC given the middling ratings of the Marvel shows this season, but hey, I won't complain. Probably doesn't bode well for Agent Carter's chances of a second season, though.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Is anything else ABC is showing getting better ratings? Hell aside from Gotham I'm pretty sure SHIELD is the highest rated superhero tv show.

As far as dramas, the Shondaland shows and OUAT all get better ratings.

"Highest rated superhero TV show" is meaningless given CW's very different business model, and I think Flash has actually done better some weeks.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Everything involving Iris is easily the worst part of the show.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

lomzus posted:

If anyone cares this is the ratings in adults 18-49 and total viewers for the latest episode of superhero shows.

1.6 Agents of SHILED (3,91 million)
1.5 Gotham (4.42 million)
1.3 Flash (3.50 million)
1.3 Agent Carter (4,02 million) last episode
0.9 Arrow (2,41 million)
0.8 Constantine (3,30 million) last episode

Please don't do this. Or if you do, just leave out the CW shows, because the network has such a different business model that it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Wolpertinger posted:

I would actually unironically be totally okay with a show that's entirely about Skye and inhuman poo poo. It's sort of funny because I thought she was an annoying shoehorned in character for most of season 1, and now she's pretty much the main character.

I have yet to be convinced that there's enough story mileage in the Inhumans (at least, what's available for the TV folks to use) for an entire series to work, but there are still four episodes left this season, I suppose.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

The general adventures of people with powers carried Heroes through multiple seasons. Also The 4400. It is a generic enough premise that they could slog through multiple seasons without ever touching the royal family.

Well, I see the generic premise as kind of the problem. I'm not saying it's impossible or anything, just skeptical.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Toasty, I think you're being pretty silly to pin this all on Whedon and not Feige or anyone else on the Studios side of things.

And as I've more or less said before, if you think the show needs a big-screen payoff to justify its existence, you're saying not only that it hasn't justified its existence on its own merits, but that it can't possibly do so. In which case, why bother watching at all?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Oh, also, Moviepilot is a loving awful site that no one should ever link to. Everything on it is horribly sourced rumors or inane speculation stated as fact.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Also, if you guys seriously think its impossible to watch and get entertainment from a show while being able to seriously criticize the creative decisions behind it, then you guys are the ones being silly. TV police aren't going to strike me down because I am watching a show I have some complaints about, so stop worrying about why I am watching it. If you want to address my criticisms, then go for it, this is a place of discussion, but asking me why I am watching is pretty silly considering I never said the show was unwatchable or that I hated it.

Well, you did say at one point that the show would be a "worthless cash-in" or something to that effect if it didn't pay off in a film. If that was just hyperbole, I stand corrected.

XboxPants posted:

Imagine you have a series of movies about a man who's story is that he's always trying to find his true love. Then they make a TV series about the same guy, with the same premise, but that while the TV show must never contradict the films, none of the events of the TV series are ever going to be acknowledged by the movie series. Not only would that mean that there are zero stakes in any of the man's romances on the TV show, but that there can never be any character development, no important characters introduced, nothing fleshed out about his past for fear that the films would later want to talk about that area.

That's what people mean when they say none of it can "matter". In this case, instead of a shared character it's an entire shared world. That's the fear some people have - that although Agents of SHIELD is a very global show, it can never actually do anything to said globe. Its hands are always tied.

This stuff from Whedon sounded very AoU specific to me, but other people are construing it be to applicable to the entire MCU, and I can see why they'd be upset about that. Marvel would be saying that, basically, nothing can ever happen on the show. To see why this is a problem you only have to look at the first season of the series, where they weren't allowed to progress their story until the movie did it.

You're saying things that have been obvious for a while, really.

I'm fully cognizant that the show does have a fundamental limitation baked into its premise: namely, that it's deeply intertwined with the MCU film canon, yet can never actually impact that canon itself. But good writing can work around that, and the best parts of S2 have managed that quite well.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I hope the John Ridley Marvel project is still happening somehow. I'd love to see a weekly Marvel show outside the espionage genre.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

It's pretty good, overall; even the Superman absence problem isn't that bad here, though it'll become more problematic the more he's referenced in subsequent episodes.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Interesting, though this has me worried that they'll try too hard to maintain S1's tone of "crime drama first, superhero second," which doesn't really seen tenable with the Hand/Chaste stuff teased in S1, let alone the more ostentatious superpowers of the other Netflix protagonists.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Also, might it be possible that they save that stuff for Defenders and/or S3? The season 2 that we are getting wasn't in the original cards, which is why they had to get new showrunners right? Because the previous dudes were booked on other work, not expecting to go again so soon. I could see a lot of plot being pushed back to S3, which maybe might explain why so many characters are being lined up for S2.

Possible, sure. I'd like to see S2 embrace the fantastical comic book elements more than S1 did, though, as I honestly think S1 went so far in the crime drama direction that the few exceptions (mainly the Stick episode and the Nobu fight) felt pretty out of place.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

It was strongly implied in the S2 finale, but it's now official: Agents of SHIELD S3 will be loosely adapting Secret Warriors.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/secret-warriors-agents-of-shield-season-3-1201529279/

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

GLOSS posted:

Looks like that Mockingbird SHIELD spinoff is back on again, titled "Marvel's Most Wanted

If we have a show of Mockingbird and Lance globetrotting around the world hunting down B-Level Marvel villians I am so in...

This seems like a bad idea and I find it hard to imagine a scenario that doesn't result in the creative dilution of Agents of SHIELD. Two espionage-themed Marvel shows is plenty, thanks.

I will watch it anyway.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Huh I guess Patsy is fulfilling the Carol role. It's too bad they couldn't get anyone who's actually in the Avengers for this since that juxtaposition of her looking in at the superhero business from the outside is one of the more interesting things about the comic. I guess they could still do that just in a different way

Edit: Oh right I forget Patsy is Hellcat

I would be surprised if Patsy has her costumed identity here. Wouldn't really seem to fit with the tone of the show or even the MCU in general, but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I'd say there's probably more people who watch SHIELD simply because it's tangentially connected to the movies than avoid it because of lack of concrete crossovers.

Probably.

Anyway, with the recent Marvel reorganization, any remotely substantive crossover in the TV->film direction is even less likely than it was before. I still think some sort of Easter egg and/or very brief cameo is more likely than not to happen eventually, but that's it.