Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

I was really surprised neither of these got picked up. For Frequency I assume they looked a little closer at the content of some of the later issues or it was a two expensive with the digital effects cost of 2005.

Aqua-man I don't know, it was just as 'good' as Smallville and that's clearly what they were going for. They even had in a built in excuse to have the lead wet and shirtless as much as possible. Maybe Aqua-man is still just too goofy to most audiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

If Doop became a regular character I wouldn't watch anything else, just buy the DVD set and put it on loop.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

If we get the skrulls it better end with them being tricked to becoming cows.

Being tricked into becoming Coulson isn't good enough?

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Ennis and Millar are two people who can create great characters that I like and stick them in stories that I hate.

Ennis literally hates superheros. He calls them capes, but whether their back is a flag or not he hates them. His war stories or books about powerless 'heroes', are awesome.

Millar I barely know, he got some sort of fixation on rape in about 2000. There was a while when if I picked up a book and saw "Millar" on the cover I was thinking, 'yup, gonna be some man rape in this book' and was right. He's gotten over it for the most part, but I'm still wary.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

McSpanky posted:

Oh poo poo, Brimstone was great. If Constantine can have Peter Stormare, John Glover, and Ray Wise in a Satan-off over John's soul they can Keanufy him all they want.

Fixed. The other Satans are mostly better but Ray was just so gleefully evil.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

Also after Flash the CW can push on with a Suicide Squad spin off. I'd gladly watch it.

If only they had the budget/balls for the version of King Shark that's basically Rockslide with excessive predatory instincts.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Alfred

He looks kind of ominous for a good guy.

Good call. I knew Alfred was formerly some sort of British special agent, but not SAS ...and a werewolf. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280609/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

e X posted:

Oh come on, let's not pretend Deathlok is some high profile character, fans longed for years to see in live action. The preview pictures were disappointing because they looked cheap, not because they didn't adhere to the comic book look.

He was pretty fun in X-force, and Wolverine and the X-Men recently.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I still wish they would show him arguing with 'Puter

I'm pretty sure Shield's going to get him back at some point, maybe he'll get an argumentative AI then.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

zoux posted:

Nothing there stands out as particularly egregious, unlike the leaked Gotham pilot script that had Alfred telling Bruce to stop playing silly buggers.

Eh, all Chas should know about the supernatural is that it exist and the dark art of the tire iron.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

The MSJ posted:

One internet comment suggested that Ward should be Taskmaster all along.

As much as I'd love to see some photographic reflexes on the show they don't have anything in common except for a rough childhood and holding pretty low values of human life. On the plus side they could recast him with a stuntman in a skull mask.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Gavok posted:

I actually suggested Ward as Taskmaster in the TV subforum, but I think after The MSJ saw someone come up with it.

I don't think they'll do it, but it could totally fit. He's obviously going to do some kind of redeemable last minute action, mind-wiping is already an important part of the plot and Taskmaster is a former SHIELD agent in the comics. If they want to keep him around as some kind of anti-hero without having to worry about all the terrible poo poo he did, he could die heroically, get brought back like Coulson, have his mind wiped completely, escape and go around as this amnesiac mercenary with awesome fighting skills who doesn't want to know who he is because he can feel that he did something completely unforgivable.

I guess that works, but I thought the retcon that he was a former shield agent and got his powers from a needle was undone, or ignored. That version of the character had the memory of a goldfish, it was briefly an issue in Avengers Academy, then in every appearance after that I've seen he's been fine. I don't think he's ever failed to recognize Deadpool, Constrictor, or anyone else he has history with outside of those two series.

It also might not be worth it while the universe only has 5-6 operatives with copyable skills worth having(Hawkeye, Cpt. America, Romanov, Batroc, Winter Solder, Crossbones? Mai? later Ironfist, Punisher, Daredevil, Electra & Bullseye). Dude's a walking arsenal that at the moment doesn't even have a reason to carry a sword, unless they go the Olympic footage route. That might work better. Taskmaster shows up as a mysterious villain about the same time Sky starts taking advanced combat training from multi-gold medalist Tony Masters.

If they're just going to add some powers and make Ward a villain Chameleon sounds like a better choice, if his rights aren't tied up with Spider-man. An image inducer's a pretty basic thing for them to have picked up at the fridge and a really cheap effect. Chameleon always seemed to have more of that cold calculating psychosis that Ward has been building up, while Taskmaster is just a Brooklyn thug with skills and doesn't care which side pays his bills. Has any other character in Marvel comics received as many pardons to work for the government?

It could also be pretty fun if he was introduced as Taskmaster the drill instructor, like in The Initiative. They know he's a merc, he's technically still in custody, but when he's done training them he's out the door. They simultaneously have to trust him as their trainer and for mutual defense, but cant because he frequently reminds them that he's not Shield and once this is over they might just become a payday. Basically the opposite of Ward.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Smallville was pretty fun for me all the way through but I was watching it with friends and making fun of it the whole time, particularly how bizarrely stupid Clark is. It kind of became a drinking game.

For example Clark has an on again off again girlfriend who can teleport and the effect for it is her turning into a green glowing mote of light then flashing away. No matter what the circumstances, she could literally say, "Do you need anything before I teleport away? No, ok, bye!", Clark always lunges for and tries to grab the speck of light. Whenever he did this we would say, "Ooh, green shiny!". Whoever was last had to drink.

The whole show had a kind of strange lazy stupidity.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Morena Baccarin has joined the cast of Gotham as Dr Leslie Thompkins.

Dammit, that's the scale tipper, I'm finally curious enough to watch a few episodes.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

That's for civilians, cops, and heroes. You know, people that the powers that be care about. Kill other criminals and no one cares.

There's a reason The Punisher doesn't get the kind of heat that someone with his body count should.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Narrative convenience?

Resource allocation. In a world with a civilian mass murder once a week, and a guy who kills an organization in behind them about once a month, one wheel squeaks a lot louder.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

I liked Cpt. Cold and I've never seen Clancy Brown do a bad job, though i might be looking through rose colored glasses because this is the last thing I saw him in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vojTkks9_3k

Though it looks like they left all of Clancy's best lines out of the trailer.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Dacap posted:

Looks like Global Frequency is happening at Fox produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and Greg Berlanti

https://deadline.com/2014/11/global-frequency-tv-show-jerry-bruckheimer-fox-1201290569/

That could be good, the pilot they shot for it nearly a decade ago was.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

greatn posted:

I got an idea next time the Flash has to face these guys. Instead of crossing the streams, maybe try punching them in the back of the head.

Or steal their guns at the speed of light and laugh as the nightsticks rain down.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

I'm mostly happy that it probably means AKA JJ will start with Ritter throwing a man through her office window while screaming "gently caress!"

If she was actually played as the bitch from apartment 23 but with superpowers that would be awesome. Though they already cast someone other than Dawson as the purple man. I guess I can always dream.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

zoux posted:

Guess who.

Allegedly the Joker in Gotham

I haven't been watching Gotham but that looks more like a pretty good Toyman than a pre-Joker to me.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

The only explanation we've gotten is "Approximately 2% of my body weight is fat."

Dude is just really big.

I remember him saying that but I think it was in one of the 90s Fox cartoons. I wouldn't hold to that because it's ridiculous. At 2% body fat you would have that thin skinned, can see every sinew look(and possibly be dead, that is not healthy, your body would be eating your organs). Assuming he weighed 500lbs, he would only have 10lbs of body fat. If you are two hundred pounds with a very fit 10% body fat, you would have 20. I couldn't find a picture of someone that even claims to have 2% BF, 4% seems to be about as low as you can go. For reference, this is what 4% body fat looks like:

(Double Kingpin's body fat?)

I think it would be generous to guess he had 25% that's just very unfortunately proportioned to his face and gut. That said the only height I could find for him was 6'7", and at that kinda height and build 450-500lbs isn't off the table. 150lbs of bone and organs, 112.5-125lbs of fat later he'd still have 187.5-225lbs of just muscle. That's definitely enough for some borderline superhuman feats of strength. Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson is two inches taller than Fisk, and roughly 12% body fat. So 400lbs -160lbs organs and skeliton -48lbs fat = 192lbs of muscle. Do to being shorter therefore having better leverage, and similar to higher muscle mass, Kingpin might just reasonably be slightly stronger than world record holder Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson.

Yes, that is a 1410.96lb log and yes he did lift and walk with it.

Dr. MonkeyThunder fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 3, 2015

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

You're right, this comic book character isn't scientifically accurate at all.

Except, if you eliminate a throw away line from an early 90s cartoon it works. I had fun writing that, and validating Kingpin's level of borderline super strength, don't be a poo poo about it without a good reason.

Dr. MonkeyThunder fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 3, 2015

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

That'd be a good way to keep Punisher, Bullseye, Elektra and any other anti-hero/popular villain around after their stints on Daredevil are done. Maybe Fisk could even weasel his way into leading them and be a Norman Osborne facsimile or something.

That would be the smart move, personally I'm just hoping for any excuse to get some of my favorite characters out of the locker.

I think it was some sort of 'pitch a book' thread that got me thinking, "What I really want is Superior Assholes, all the anti-heroes that are a little more anti, Taskmaster, O'Grady Ant-Man, the Juggernaut, Deadpool... Oh, that's just the Thunderbolts".

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

e X posted:

what they would have to keep absolutely is his general disinterest in human morality. It would have worked great in contrast with the usual 'police officer who cares to much', having a character that does not go on moralizing tirades about the good and evil tendencies of man. You can wring a shitton of great scenes out of that.

What you want to watch is the IFC miniseries, "Bullet in the Face". The bad side of the buddy cop team is only technically not Satan, and it has Eddie Izzard as a crime-lord.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

In a surprise announcement Constantine will also be the primary antagonist for the 1st season of Lucifer.

Not really, but a boy can dream.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

It comes out on St. Patrick's day... I suppose there are much worse ways to nurse a hangover.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Medullah posted:

Ah. I actually liked that movie, though the only thing that I can still remember is, of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g0bmCPFsi8

I'm pretty partial to the many variants of, "God DAMMIT! Frank!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Yes but was it set to Return Of The Mack?

Did you mean Dee Snyder's take on Mack the Knife?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6urX4CgSL3s&t=120s

ToastyPotato posted:

drat why her Nazi costume gotta look better than her normal one though?

I blame Hugo Boss