Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I dunno. It didn't seem like her in that split second and the preview for next episode. I could be wrong though and maybe seeing her in the wig and not Sarah is throwing me off. Dumb superhero costumes work :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Every casting decision about this show is more terrible than the last that I'm actually starting to get nervous about Daredevil :ohdear:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

zoux posted:

What? How is that a bad call?

I have seen enough Doctor Who. He is a really bad actor.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

ToastyPotato posted:

This is extremely opiniony.

A lot of people like him just fine, there for, it is not a bad decision, because he is an actor that is liked. He's not a bad actor if you don't like him, it just means you don't like him. Which is fine.

Considering we know nothing about how the character will be written, or the show, I feel like it is a bit early to start criticizing him in the role.

Yes it is an opinion? I don't particularly care if a lot of people like him and I don't see how that would play into being good casting. He's been bad in anything I've seen him in.

As for the show Krysten Ritter is also terrible casting for Jessica Jones and has no point shown she can play that character. The showrunner is also most well known for writing a bunch of terrible Dexter episodes, Twilight and Birds of Prey. That's not really confidence inspiring creative team.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

bobkatt013 posted:

She worked on Dexters fourth season which was the best.

This can't be true when Doakes had been gotten rid of in season 2 :colbert:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

WarLocke posted:

I know nothing about Jessica Jones or this Purple Man guy but now I have to check out it since David Tennant is playing him. Guy is pretty intense. :stare:

Haha. Oh you're in for a lot of fun :allears:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

It was a pretty good episode too, especially since Joe just doesn't fall for Wells bullshit' though it'd be nice if they had him go "well i confronted Wells about hiding things and then the Reverse Flash threatened to kill me" so they're obviously the same person/in league with each other.

Now all they need is for Iris to learn his identity so they can iron out the remaining flaw of the show.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Iris unfortunately has to go through the terrible arcs that the likes of Laurel and Thea did. Eventually she'll become less annoying just like they did. Hopefully by the end of the season.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Aphrodite posted:

No it isn't. They're doing interviews talking about their Joker saga. That kid wasn't Joker, but they're doing it.

They've been saying that from the start though haven't they.

I haven't watch Gotham yet but there already seems to have been multiple possible Jokers on the show.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

BrianWilly posted:

Affleck Daredevil's dad died when he was a kid, so I think that has inadvertently stuck in a lot of folks' minds. I know did in mine. v:shobon:v

It's the same in Miller's work which is where the film gets it.

Matt is blinded as a kid, Dad tries to make ends meet to keep him going, Matt starts training with Stick, shortly later Dad is killed so Matt stops training with Stick. Years later he meets up with Elektra in Law school and starts to train and that again and eventually returns to Hells Kitchen years later.

His dad dying when he's older is Loeb and the dumb Daredevil: Yellow.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Which is not how it is in Man Without Fear (which is his modern origin)...which is where the film gets it...

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The show was always described as Supergirl trying to find her own place in the world and her own identity while being Superman's cousin.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

SirDan3k posted:

Ah the nu52 stratagem brilliant!

Ted's gone and won't be back because that would been seen as making GBS threads on Jamie which would be a PR snafu, ironic since they already poo poo all over everything interesting and good about him then shelved him. there was never a Nu52 Blue Beetle series with Jamie, shut up.

Classic Ted is back though, he hangs out with classic Booster Gold.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Deadpool posted:

Tom Ellis has been cast as Lucifer on the new Fox show. He's got a long list of TV credits on IMDB but I've never seen a single thing on it.

He's not great, though I've only seen him in bits of Miranda and didn't like that anyway.

ToastyPotato posted:

What is Jamie's origin then in the new 52? How is he the Blue Beetle if Ted is alive? Also, I think Ted showed up in JL right? He wasn't even in charge of the company yet, his dad was. So I assume he isn't or at least wasn't Blue Beetle. So what the hell is going on there?

It's complicated in comic book ways but it's set in the year 3000 where the pre-nu 52 versions of the characters are "brought back to life". This Keith Giffen interview explains it

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The MSJ posted:

Gamma/super soldier serum enhanced French Bulldogs.

Kingpin pictures.

That's not The Kingpin? That's Wilson Fisk, a simple spice merchant.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I like it, looks as if it could easily fit in with either Man of Steel or Flash/Arrow.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Bane really let himself go.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

fatherboxx posted:

I'd love to! Daredevil is my favorite character and I really want to see a good version of him in motion.

I think the Arrow comparrisons are going to be hard to ignore, especially with this season of Arrow going heavy on the ninja fighting but if Daredevil manages to keep the Man Without Fear retelling to the first couple of episodes and does it's own thing later it'll help giving the show it's own identity.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

redbackground posted:

Hit up CBR if you want to see Daredevil's eventual Red Batman costume.

Some other sites are showing bigger screenshot/images.

Hitfix gave it a glowing review as both a tv show and Daredevil adaptation

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Slowly digging through the series and everything about it is perfect. Casting, fight choreography and pacing, this is the kind of stuff Marvel should have been leading with in their TV stuff.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Aphrodite posted:

After this I wouldn't be surprised to see Jessica Jones go dark for her origin. Or de-origin.

Yeah. Alias should be darker than Daredevil so despite not feeling the casting of it so far I'm really hoping it follows Daredevil's lead and gets tone and seriousness right.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Been slowly working my way through the series (trying not to binge it all at once) and episode 4 and the "proper" introduction of Kingpin is pretty much perfect. It's a perfect build of fear and mystery around the character and you just know eventually you're going to see him lose it and why people are afraid but holy poo poo. The sprinkling of violence is just shocking enough that even with everything you've seen so far the skull crushing with the car is still effective

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The CW did a goofy little video to promo the last few episodes of Arrow and Flash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XE_jH2eQl4

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Not surprising really given the way Daredevil has been played I'd presume them to go as "realistic" as possible with things.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WSe9ugpXIw

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The spoiler embargo has been off Daredevil since Monday or is it for eternity in this thread?

I have no idea what embargo you're talking about but since Daredevil isn't a weekly series like the other shows or comics I would have expected people to have a shred of self awareness or decency and not blurt out major spoilers for the end of the series to people since expecting people to marathon through a 13 hour show in a few days is a bit ridiculous. And people have decided to do this in multiple threads in BSS for some dumb reason.

But at least when Alias comes around I'll know to put up a warning saying please don't be a dick with spoilers or you'll be probated.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

TwoPair posted:

That's what I'm saying though. Fisk was using his crazy strength but using no real training or finesse to win, whereas Matt was disciplined and had training and superpowers. It shouldn't have been a fair fight, it should have been Matt just wrecking Fisk, but for some reason the show chooses to have Matt just stop dodging punches and start taking shots to the face like an idiot just because it's the final climactic fight. At the end, Matt has to make a dramatic comeback after getting literally stomped by Fisk, but there should be no way that Matt's even getting knocked to the ground. At the very least, if the show wanted the audience to believe that Fisk was a threat in a fight like that, they could at least have thrown in a throwaway line at some point about him taking martial arts classes. Instead all we've seen him do in fights is charge like a bull and punch the poo poo out of opponents (and murder gruesomely) , which are things we've also seen Daredevil dodge and counter just as easily in fights, but like I said, during the final fight he just decides "Nah, let's just see how this plays out if I don't really give it my all"

I wouldn't really go with that. The previous few episodes had Matt constantly popping his stitches and needing to be redone and not being able to meditate properly because of everything going on. I know there's also the fact that he's finally fighting the real Kingpin but I think at the end it was more that Matt was making his big stand because he had to, because he couldn't let Fisk get away but wasn't 100% ready. None of his interactions with Fisk were at 100% which I think they did to keep it a "fair fight".

And talking about Daredevil cos I finally finished it I really. really loved it but felt very conflicted at the end. I liked all the name drops and hints to Iron Fist and K'un-L'un and appropriately went oh poo poo but I kind of don't want to see all the plot points picked up in other shows. I want a season 2 of this rather than seeing things brought into a Defenders miniseries.

Basically the show did all the Frank Miller stuff so perfectly that I want Season 2 with "that Greek girl", more of The Hand, The Beast (!?) and more Stick and Stone and hope that everything doesn't just get brushed under "ninja" stuff in Iron Fist and Defenders. Basically if the Defenders resolves around The Hand with The Beast in tow teaming up with Steel Serpent and trying to take over Hell's Kitchen I'll get Shadowland flashbacks.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Dacap posted:

Netflix has announced that Daredevil is renewed for season 2 to air in 2016 with Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez taking over showrunners.

This is really interesting cause it means they aren't sticking to the initial 4 solo series leading to Defenders strategy. It looks like any of these shows could get a second season right away if they're successful.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/marvel-daredevil-renewed-season-2-netflix-1201413923/

Said it in the other thread but knowing that all the plot points that I wanted followed up on won't just be smushed into Defenders solves any issues I had with the first season. Bring on more of the Hand, trial of the Kingpin, Elektra and maybe Bullseye and just more Matt, Foggy and Karen

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Klungar posted:

I assume it was supposed to be Alzheimer's, seeing as she had memory issues in his one conversation with her, as well as the similar issue's Wilson's mom had.

It was. A lot of the characters mirror each other in different aspects and this was another one of them.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

zoux posted:

What do you mean?

There's just, similarities, between characters throughout the series, mostly between Fisk and Matt but are little things for other characters. Urich is doing whatever he can to get money for his wife as she has Alzheimer and needs the help even if it will get him killed, Fisk will do whatever he can to keep his mother safe as she has Alzhemiers even if he has to kill.

Fisk and Matt have arguably the same origin and motivation and both eventually come to the realization that they need to become something more for the ~hell~ they are in. Both characters just go in different directions.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Deadpool posted:

I'll still hold out hope for Dan Stevens. But this is fine.

Why would you say this :( Now I won't be able to accept anyone else.

(Though Stevens would be a great evil 50's Cap too)

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

DC are doing some weird projects for Machinima which are going to end up interesting or terrible. A weird Starman reality/competition show and a Dial H for Hero adaptation (that uses a magic app instead of a magic phone).

quote:

DC’s Hero Project

Machinima, Blue Ribbon Content, and DC Entertainment are setting out to discover the next great creator for the world of DC Comics. Eight contestants compete in elimination challenges to develop a live-action short video based on their own interpretations of characters from DC Comics’ Starman comic book series. Well-known guest judges and celebrity special guests will join bestselling writer and DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and a panel of esteemed judges to oversee the entire competition.

#4Hero

A modern adaptation of DC Comics’ cult-favorite classic “Dial H For Hero”, #4Hero is a live-action, VFX-heavy action-comedy about a young woman named Nellie Tribble who is quietly desperate to make her mark on the world, but wholly unprepared to do so. Nellie stumbles upon a life-altering smartphone app that allows her to instantly become a Super Hero for a short amount of time. The problem is her super powers are dictated by whatever is trending on social media at that moment, and they are always only semi-useful

source

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

It's a good excuse to give them different powers, even in reality it would just end up with them getting powers of random one direction members, film or tv show spoilers and RIPCELEBRITY.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I don't watch AoS, but from what I've gathered itt, it relies heavily on the movies as far as plotlines. Like, wasn't seeing Winter Soldier critical to understanding what was going on, or something? (I have not seen many Marvel movies, either, just the first Iron Man and Avengers.)

Is the reverse true? Do I need to have been watching AoS to enjoy Avengers 2? I wouldn't think so, that would be alienating a heckuva lot of movie-goers (and their money), but thought I'd ask.

It came up earlier but Whedon himself said he considered the TV stuff completely separate to any film stuff he did. You do not need to watch Agents of SHIELD.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

VDay posted:

Is there actually anything else besides just this one article saying "I hear..." and nothing else? I'm not saying it's wrong, but every other article that comes up just links back to the Deadline piece or says "Deadline is reporting". Seems weird that seemingly just this one lady has some source that would know if the spin-off is cancelled.

Deadline are right 9.5 times out of 10 and are legitimate Hollywood insiders with the reputation to post things. It's not like badasssuperherocomicbookbatmanmarvelcrushfix.com posting a dumb list.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

that's disappointing. i thought the first previews looked pretty good, and Neil Marshall directing a few episodes was promising.

I was really disappointed with his episodes and had such high hopes from his film and Game of Thrones stuff. Even ignoring the mediocre plotting and acting, the directing was flat, even for PG horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

greatn posted:

Ah good, so looks like most Purple Man stuff would be in flashback. That character super creeps me out, which is his intention of course, but I don't want to see the gross abusive stuff as it is happening. Glad it isn't an origin story.

The entire point of Jessica's character is that the Purple Man stuff happens in the past and then they meet back up in the present so she can finally defeat him and both literally and figuratively overcome her demons. The gross stuff will be all there.