Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I kind of love it, especially if they go into the legacy factor AND the addiction factor. Show flashbacks of Golden Age Rex Tyler getting addicted not only to Miraclo, but also the adrenaline rush, the physical power, and even the fame and fortune, contrasted against Rick Tyler trying desperately to live up to his father's legend while at the same time hoping to escape his shadow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Kevin Feige is the big man at Marvel Studios.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

They did also have the 90s reboot verison of Starman, straight down to the piercings and grunge attire.

Seriously? I'm a huge Starman fan, and I would have watched Smallville if Jack Knight appeared.

This list includes Star-Spangled Kid (Sylvester Pemberton), and it looks like he wore a leather jacket like Jack's over his costume and might have a cosmic rod similar to Jack's. Was that who you meant?
http://www.listal.com/list/superheroes-of-smallville

That list also left off Booster Gold and Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes), who appeared right before the series ended. I actually did watch that one, and they even included Ted Kord as a shady industrialist.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
There was definitely supposed to be a Starman series, perhaps produced by some of the Smallville people, but it went into development hell because Birds of Prey was such a failure. I remember all of James Robinson and Tony Harris' casting suggestions that would have been incredible, like Justin Theroux as Jack Knight and Jonathan Pryce as the Shade.

I'm still looking forward to the rumored Booster Gold series, honestly. In this celebrity-obsessed age, a superhero obsessed with fame and fortune who still manages to do the right thing would be an interesting counterpoint to pretty much every other DC and Marvel hero.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

hi liter posted:

Looks like Joss Whedon's coattails are starting to kick in. What other notable producers/writers/execs from Whedon's past are unemployed with decent track records?

I'm thinking actors too, and Enver Gjokaj, Alexis Denisof, and Anthony Stewart Head in particular.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

Calling it now: Anthony Steward Head as Stephen Strange.

Actually, I think I could get behind that.

I would be all for this.

How about Gjokaj as Foggy Nelson and Ben Foster as Murdock?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

Good lord I hope they don't interact

I almost hate to suggest this, but that could be a perfect excuse to do a "Flash of Two Worlds" story.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Holy crap, I spent the last week binge-watching Season 1 of Arrow, and it was actually really drat good. I was skeptical, thinking it would be another cheesy Smallville with plenty of beefcake for the CW-watching ladies and too much wealthy family melodrama, but it turned out to be a far more enjoyable show than Agents of SHIELD, which I struggled to watch all season.

Now to find Season 2, and I have heard my all-time favorite superhero may become a cast member in Season 3.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'll get over it, but I'm really bummed about the new character being Ray Palmer and not Ted Kord, my all-time favorite superhero.

I first read the Ted Kord rumor three weeks ago, and that was the final impetus I needed to binge-watch the first two seasons of Arrow over the last three weeks. I loved it. I was skeptical as all hell for all the obvious reasons (CW show, too much emphasis on the abs, attractive but generic cast, Smallville 2.0), but it was incredible -- a real labor of love, by fans, for fans.

I thought Ted was coming due to the repeated mentions of Kord Industries, and I could have sworn they mentioned "a fundraiser for Ted Kord" at one point as well. Plus, with the rumor that the new character would be a love interest for Felicity, that made sense too. Felicity was always like Ollie's Oracle, and in Chuck Dixon's Birds of Prey comics, there was a great, long-standing flirtation between Oracle and Ted.

And finally, even though this was a long shot, I was hoping for Donald Glover to get cast as Ted, for multiple reasons. I thought it would be cool to get another actor of color to increase the diversity of the cast, especially a character who was a genius, who ran his own company, and who was a good, hilarious, likeable dude. Plus there was a minor movement a few years ago where fans wanted Glover to play Spider-Man, and Blue Beetle was created by one of Spider-Man's creators four years later, and he's another wisecracking, scientific genius, acrobatic, arthropod-themed hero.

But now we have Ray Palmer instead. I'm sure the Arrow showrunners know what they're doing, but I'll be interested to see if we learn from the SDCC Arrow panel if Ted really was in the running and DC vetoed him somehow.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
It's Jim Steranko, you guys. There wouldn't even be an Agents of SHIELD show if not for his contributions, and he was an escape artist and a roguish type.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dacap posted:

I want this to be true and have him enter every scene on the Nick Fury rocket cycle

His introduction could be punching an evil businessman named Robert Kane in the face.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

Wasn't he HYDRA in TWS or am I getting him mixed up with some other SHIELD agent?

That was Jasper Sitwell, another all-American (but generic) long-time SHIELD agent in the comics.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Opopanax posted:

I desperately want an Avengers musical in my lifetime

Where could Marvel Studios find a director capable of handling the Avengers franchise who also has the experience of writing quirky, catchy, drat fine musicals?

(No poo poo, a Whedon-written Avengers musical with the current cast would be the greatest cultural achievement of humankind.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

Chris Evans is only signed through his third movie or something(6 total, 3 cap 3 avengers). Sebastian Stan is signed for like 9 movies. We could definitely see them do the storyline that has him take over on the big screen.

I'd still rather see Anthony Mackie take over as Cap.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

I hope Dum Dum shows up in Agents of Shield because doesn't end up as a robot in the comics?

I think you're thinking of John Garrett in the comics, who we've already met.

EDIT: Never mind, this is what I get for trade-waiting and library-waiting!

\/ \/ \/

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 11, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Akiva Goldsman's writing career has featured both good and bad stuff so looking at his resume it's kind of a wash. The only really bad sign is that he was responsible for two bad Batman movies and that's his only superhero experience. I guess we'll just have to hope for the best.

Fringe was very comic-booky at times (in the best way), and sometimes straight-out superheroey, minus the costumes and code names.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Anna Torv is still my dream Carol. She was pretty wooden in early episodes, but by season 2 she really improved her acting, and when there are two Olivia's running around, but both are very different people it's pretty amazing.

Agreed on all counts.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I have no idea who he is.
The lead in District 9, the psycho villain in Elysium, and Murdock in The A-Team.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just reread David Mack's "Echo: Vision Quest" story from Daredevil (a fill-in arc during Bendis and Maleev's run), and now I can't help but wonder if Rosario Dawson was cast as Echo in the Daredevil series, rather than Elektra. Mack painted Echo to look so much like Rosario Dawson that he had to have used her as a photo reference.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Jesse Martin is Detective Green, not Ed, silly. :v:

And I still think of him as Tom Collins from Rent.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If Skye is still related to the Kree and/or the Inhumans, I was wondering if her father might be Maximus the Mad.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

They could always use Power Girl in Arrow/Flash universe.

I wish the new show was Power Girl instead of Supergirl. That way there wouldn't be any implied or expected connection to Superman, she could fulfill the Superman AND Wonder Woman roles in the Arrow/Flash universe, and the Johns/Conner/Winick run set her up with a very TV-ready premise: she's a fun-loving single girl AND a brilliant corporate executive AND an rear end-kicking superhero. It would be like the Wonder Woman show David E. Kelley wanted to make, only that concept fits Power Girl perfectly, and Wonder Woman not at all.

I've also never been a Supergirl fan, but Power Girl is awesome.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I think it would be awesome if the season finale shows Barry somehow having traveled back in time, fights Reverse Flash in the Allens' house, beats him, and saves his mother's life.

Then, in the last few minutes of the episode, cut back to the present, only the world is different, and we see newspaper headlines praising the great hero "Citizen Cold." We might also see glimpses of Caitlin as sexy, icy villainess Killer Frost and Cisco as Vibe... and end the season right there, leaving the audience knowing things have gone terribly, terribly awry.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dacap posted:

He looks kinda like NFL SuperPro

I was thinking of X-O Manowar.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

One thing that I think would really work well, especially in Flash, is introducing some more "golden age" heroes like Starman and Dr. Midnight.

I would love this too, and I'd also like to see The Shade. He could start off as a villain of the week, robbing banks or killing people (who deserve it) with his shadow powers and tangling with Flash, but he could start dropping hints to Barry about larger conspiracies, the secret history of Central City, tales of metahumans who operated decades in the past ("I once knew this man who called himself Max Mercury, who was almost as fast as you," etc.) -- very much like his mentor role to Jack Knight in Starman. Before James Robinson wrote The Shade as a roguish antihero in Starman (making him one of my all-time favorite characters), he fought both Flashes regularly: Jay Garrick AND Barry Allen.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah I have no idea why Blue Lantern and Killer Frost and uh...Poison Ivy? were in the 1997 Justice League pilot.

Fire (green) and Ice (blue) were prominent members of the Justice League International in the late '80s up until Grant Morrison relaunched the title as JLA in 1996.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If they went with a Hispanic actor instead, it definitely sounds like a description of the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dacap posted:

It's really the b-lister justice league at this point. I'm betting the show will be called The Brave and the Bold.

Rip Hunter has been added to the cast now too

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cws-flash-arrow-spinoff-casts-785372

Fffffffffuuccccckkkkkk!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Maybe Adam Scott and Joel McHale can guest-star as Beetle and Booster.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

You bastard that sounds amazing.

And I think Sam Neill is at the perfect point in his career to play the big bad, Maxwell Lord.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

I'm assuming you mean Ryan Hansen and not their Party Down co-star Martin Starr? Because that could also work.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

Actually I meant Adam as Booster and Martin as Beetle. I just hosed that post up a lot.

Heh, now I'm envisioning Ryan Hansen as an even better Booster than Joel McHale, but Adam Scott is still my choice for Ted.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

MrFlibble posted:

Daredevil was fantastic, im probably going to watch it again at a slower pace in a month or two.

Watching it has reminded me how much I love Daredevil and I ordered the Daredevil ultimate collection 1 (the start of the BMB run). From what I remember the whole run from there until they finish is great but its been a while. Is there anything really bad in the ultimate collections / Is there anything I would miss by ordering only those?

After those three Bendis Ultimate Collections, get the two Ed Brubaker Ultimate Collections, since they follow directly from the Bendis run. Brubaker's first story arc is his best by far, and some of it digs too deep into misery and despair after that, but it's still fantastic.

I didn't dislike Andy Diggle's Daredevil run as much as everyone else did, but it would have been difficult for anyone to follow the legendary runs by Bendis and then Brubaker. You can safely skip Diggle's stuff and skip from Brubaker directly to Mark Waid's more optimistic and fun run.

Of course, you desperately need to get Miller's Born Again (from the mid-'80s), and then probably his Man Without Fear (a modernization of DD's origin from the early '90s, where the black costume from the show came from). If you're still craving more, backtrack to Miller's original late '70s/early '80s run that pretty much made DD what he is today. But Born Again is required reading.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If they have to go with a Caucasian actor for Danny, I've been thinking either Stevens or Ben Foster, who is an incredible, underrated actor.

But it would be a great opportunity to cast an Asian or even biracial actor.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Best-case scenario: Matt Ryan plays John Constantine on CW's DC's Legends of Tomorrow.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Matt Ryan was one of the best-cast actors ever in a comic book adaptation. I'd rank him up there with Downey, Stewart, McKellan, Jackman, Ledger, and J.K. Simmons. After Keanu Reeves stunk up the otherwise-not-horrible movie, Ryan just nailed the character perfectly. Plus, I loved the little touches of the greater DCU that were starting to show up toward the end of the season.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Well, Caity Lotz will be playing White Canary, according to CBR.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Daredevil
Flash
iZombie
Agent Carter
Agents of SHIELD
Constantine
Arrow

Daredevil was far and away my favorite, but I loved Flash, iZombie, Agent Carter, and SHIELD so much, in different ways. Constantine was uneven, but Matt Ryan was amazing in it. And as much as I enjoyed binge-watching Arrow Seasons 1 and 2 last summer, Season 3 was a huge letdown by comparison.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 19, 2015

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We got better villains than we deserved this past TV season.

Cal Zabo, Reverse Flash, Captain freakin' Cold, Wilson Fisk, and even Blaine on iZombie were so much more engaging than the majority of comic book villains we saw in the movies, especially Marvel Studios movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Cupid was super hot and fun, and for most of the season, Ra's seemed like a pretty chill dude that Oliver was antagonizing unnecessarily by protecting Merlyn.

But I still contend Ollie was the main villain of Season 3.