Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I believe another contributing factor is that he's an extreme method actor and gained a bunch of the weight in the first place for a movie role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Decius posted:

Apparently he had (has?) serious health issues/medication, which led to his weight gain and also problems with the production schedule (which is the reason why Goren was on leave so many episodes in the second to last season).

Can't wait for his Kingpin, so stoked.

Second to last season, he wasn't even on the show. It was all Goldblum all the time. But yes, they'd been putting him in half the episodes alternating with Noth or Goldblum for years.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Boogaleeboo posted:

Yeah I mean I really don't see how you do Jessica Jones and not touch on Purple Man. That's a pretty major part of Alias, and I don't see *why* you'd do Jessica Jones without drawing on Alias.

Well the how is easy, you can substitute Jewel (if they even keep that as her old codename) getting defeated by almost any villain you need her to for purposes of the plot. All that is really required is that Jessica got defeated badly enough to break her self-confidence and make her quit being a superhero. You could just have her lose a fight and end up in the hospital for a couple of months. Hell, they could even do a Gwen Stacey and make the break point her failing to save someone precious to her. Maybe a born-to-die boyfriend or some such1.

You don't need to have the rapey sorta sex slave sorta not Purple Man thing. And depending on whether they're going for the more adult audience that Netflix allows or are keeping it in line with the rest of the MCU at PG-13 or so will probably decide that. If they're going darker and more adult, probably Purple Man. If they're keeping it MCU? Well I'd say that the villain who beats the superhero out of Jessica will turn out to be the main villain for The Defenders in season five.

1 = Like Sydney's doctor fiance on...wait for it...the old spy show Alias.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

jng2058 posted:

Well the how is easy, you can substitute Jewel (if they even keep that as her old codename) getting defeated by almost any villain you need her to for purposes of the plot. All that is really required is that Jessica got defeated badly enough to break her self-confidence and make her quit being a superhero. You could just have her lose a fight and end up in the hospital for a couple of months. Hell, they could even do a Gwen Stacey and make the break point her failing to save someone precious to her. Maybe a born-to-die boyfriend or some such1.

You don't need to have the rapey sorta sex slave sorta not Purple Man thing. And depending on whether they're going for the more adult audience that Netflix allows or are keeping it in line with the rest of the MCU at PG-13 or so will probably decide that. If they're going darker and more adult, probably Purple Man. If they're keeping it MCU? Well I'd say that the villain who beats the superhero out of Jessica will turn out to be the main villain for The Defenders in season five.

1 = Like Sydney's doctor fiance on...wait for it...the old spy show Alias.

I'd argue the mind control part is more critical because drawing a beat down from the Avengers proper informs a lot of her relationships with the cape community.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

jscolon2.0 posted:

I'd argue the mind control part is more critical because drawing a beat down from the Avengers proper informs a lot of her relationships with the cape community.

That's....a pretty good point, actually. Yeah, fair enough. Except that the odds that they'll have the cash to get the MCU Avengers together for said beat-down seem logistically nightmarish, especially since the MCU Avengers don't actually exist as a permanent team to go fight. They existed for like an hour to fight off the Chitauri and then disbanded again. I guess, since Jessica Jones will air in 2016 after Avengers: Age of Ultron, that may change though. (And if they're smart, they'll have a throwaway cameo of Jessica as Jewel doing her bit in A2.)

Still, if you keep the "mind controlled into fighting for evil" thing, it doesn't have to be Purple Man and the pervy way he treats Jessica, right? It could be Mesmero...no, wait, he's an X-villain. Umm, Mandrill? No, he only controls women and has the same creepy sexual thing going on that you're trying to avoid with the Purple Man. Dang. Ringmaster from the Circus of Crime? No, he's even sillier than the Purple Man.

Hmm, this is tougher than I thought. :eng99:

I guess you could either...

1) Keep the Purple Man and just reduce the sexual element to try and make it less creepy.

2) Make up a new mind controlling villain and then do the story as it is.

3) Use the "I've got your boyfriend as a hostage, go fight the Avengers or he eats a bullet" and then have him die in the end anyway routine. That might go.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

It just occurred to me that being an Eye cam victim would also work.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm very interested to see how they'll do Jessica's big traumatic fight with the Avengers. Obviously they can't just straight up shoot it but if it'll be shot in such a way that you can't tell what's going on, or she'll just expo dump it or if they'll change the reason she quit superheroing all together.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Avengers are not going to show up in Alias, c'mon, they'll change it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yeah even though it's a Netflix series it's still Marvel. The budget will be tight, the only people that may appear from the films/Agents of SHIELD will be the Z list actors and Jessica won't have "issues". She'll be a retired hero from a bad fight with Purple Man (who won't have powers) who had blackmailed or tricked her into doing something bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nah I think they are going to introduce Vision and his marriage to Scarlet Witch in the Netflix Marvel show and have Jessica straight up dodging a Chris Helmsworth-held Mjolnir!!!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Given that they had Hawkeye spend 90% of Avengers as a brainwashed lackey I don't think they'll do the exact same thing with Jessica

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

jscolon2.0 posted:

It just occurred to me that being an Eye cam victim would also work.

Well since she can't be a mutant, Jessica will have to get her powers elsewhere. Could go with her being a Deathlok who's on her own now that Garrett's part of HYDRA's been dissolved.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

jng2058 posted:

Well since she can't be a mutant, Jessica will have to get her powers elsewhere. Could go with her being a Deathlok who's on her own now that Garrett's part of HYDRA's been dissolved.

Jessica is never a mutant? She gets her powers in classic comic style of people carrying around tubs of nuclear waste in the back of an open truck.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Huh. I always thought she was a mutant for some reason. But yeah, my Google-Fu says you are correct. How'd I miss all that? :doh:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

jng2058 posted:

Huh. I always thought she was a mutant for some reason. But yeah, my Google-Fu says you are correct. How'd I miss all that? :doh:

Read Alias :flashfact:

But yeah her condensed origin is basically bumping into every major Marvel hero/event at their origin point and going off an a tangent with it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

She went to HS with Peter Parker right?

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

zoux posted:

She had a huge crush on him and he never even noticed she existed

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mister Nobody posted:

She had a huge crush on him and he never even noticed she existed

He knew her as coma girl

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

zoux posted:

Were it not for the fact that it's that well written she's the ultimate ~fan character~. She has a crush on Peter but is even less noticable than him and is there when he is bitten by the spider, she almost bumps into the truck that ends up hitting Daredevil, giving him his powers, she meets Thor as he just arrives in Earth, she wakes up from a coma as Galactus is standing outside her window on his first appearance on Earth and so on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alias was literally the first comic book series I ever read so I mostly had no idea what the gently caress was going on.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Waterhaul posted:

she almost bumps into the truck that ends up hitting Daredevil, giving him his powers, she meets Thor as he just arrives in Earth

When did these two happen?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Argue posted:

It's been a while since I read my Alias omnibus, but I recall she lands on Thor on her first discovery of her flight powers.

And to weigh in on the Purple Man debate. I think you have to do it. You can downplay the explicit sexual aspects, maybe, but even if you do, it's still a pretty clear metaphor. The whole thing is Bendis taking a page from Morrison's book and using superheroes to symbolically depict something in a pretty blatant manner. Jessica's final triumph is literally being able to deny Kilgrave having any power over her, with some help from her 'therapist' (Jean Grey in the comics). That arc is powerful and doesn't work unless you keep him exercising that power over her as a part of the story.

Removing that element would've been drat near necessary for ABC, but Netflix airs a fantasy series that has a vampire going down on a girl because of uncontrollable bloodlust (yes, it's the joke you're thinking of), and a political drama that opens with dog murder. They're a bit more flexible.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

It being on Netflix or ABC is not the concern I'd have, more that it's still Marvel Studios and the same people behind things.

Argue posted:

It's all the same issue Alias #22. Just after feeling ignored by Peter (not knowing that he's been bite by the spider) she almost gets run down by the truck that gives Matt his powers and then a few days later when she first learns to fly she ends up falling into the sea and Thor fishes her out, she pukes on him and swears. The last part is more presuming it's very early Thor.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waterhaul posted:

It's all the same issue Alias #22. Just after feeling ignored by Peter (not knowing that he's been bite by the spider) she almost gets run down by the truck that gives Matt his powers

The same truck also caused the TMNT to mutate. It was a very busy truck that day.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Wow, I never realized how far up their own rear end comic writers actually are.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LorneReams posted:

The Marvel Universe has always been connected and it was written in a real silver age way. I really do not see how Bendis is far up his own rear end in this case. As for the TMNT thing, the whole series was a satire of Frank Miller's Daredevil.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LorneReams posted:

:confused: Huh?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't even know what "up your own rear end" is even supposed to mean.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Looks like the American Gods HBO series isn't happening

http://www.vulture.com/2014/06/hbo-american-gods-what-happened.html?mid=twitter_vulture

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

He knew her as coma girl

I thought it was really interesting that the first time Peter unmasked, she had a really mature conversation about how she used to feel about him with Luke Cage, and then when Peter mind-wiped his secret ID from the world and unmasked right in front of her, she blurted out that she loved him, pissing Luke off, and Peter was like "Oh yeah, coma girl!" and poo poo was suuuper awkward between the three for a while.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Not unexpected after all this time but still disappointing. :sigh:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So apparently some big news is that the Flash is supposed to be in the new movie universe they are planning, but not a single article I read mentioned whether it will be a different Flash, or the TV Flash, making the TV shows in continuity with the movie series.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Good lord I hope they don't interact

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

Good lord I hope they don't interact

I almost hate to suggest this, but that could be a perfect excuse to do a "Flash of Two Worlds" story.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I was about to snark about how it was never going to happen, but then again, they did make Game of Thrones.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I thought it was really interesting that the first time Peter unmasked, she had a really mature conversation about how she used to feel about him with Luke Cage, and then when Peter mind-wiped his secret ID from the world and unmasked right in front of her, she blurted out that she loved him, pissing Luke off, and Peter was like "Oh yeah, coma girl!" and poo poo was suuuper awkward between the three for a while.

The strange thing is I'm pretty sure Bendis wrote both issues of those issues, though I think the mature sounding one was a backup in an Annual or a milestone issue number or something.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

So apparently some big news is that the Flash is supposed to be in the new movie universe they are planning, but not a single article I read mentioned whether it will be a different Flash, or the TV Flash, making the TV shows in continuity with the movie series.
Spoiler: WB doesn't know either.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

notthegoatseguy posted:

The strange thing is I'm pretty sure Bendis wrote both issues of those issues, though I think the mature sounding one was a backup in an Annual or a milestone issue number or something.

There's nothing strange about it. It happened twice under different circumstances, with different results.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So, uh, Rat Queens is getting a TV series.

Holy poo poo :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Oh my god. This is gonna be awesome. I wonder where it'll air (read: pleaseplease oh god don't be edited/censored to hell and gone).