Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The Appeal Masochism. If you hate yourself this is the show to watch because it is unbelievably garbage. It somehow manages to be worse than the comic and the comic was already an embarrassment to the medium of sequential art.

The comic got pretty crappy after a really strong first few arcs but I think you're being a wee bit hyperbolic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

Are these tying in to the MCU or are they stand alone?

That's my question as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Soylentbits posted:

So I know nothing about Iron Fist. Is it weird that I want him to be Asian? I just know he has magic martial art powers and I would like more Asian leads in tv shows.

It's not integral to Danny Rand's character to be a white guy who became heir to an asian culture's super secret martial art, but I don't think we need more "asian=kung fu" stereotypes in popular culture.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That would be loving genius casting.

I like Big Show and all but I really can't imagine him pulling off the whole "acting" part of the gig for a cold, intellectual villain.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I suggested that in CD once and I was told I was being racist. Thing is, heroes for hire comes out of the Blacksploitation and Kung Fu crazes of the 70s.

Yeah but as much as I love early Power Man, Marvel got away with that poo poo because it was the 70s. Anyone doing that kind of thing today would basically be committing suicide.

Black Dynamite worked because it was a comedy directed by a black man. Without that strong satirical element and a black project lead (who doesn't have to answer to a white guy in a suit), all a kung fu blaxploitation show would communicate is that you think 1970s views on race relations are really cool and you wish you could go back to that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well.... they all started out as Spider-man villains. Daredevil just keeps stealing Spidey's rogues because his own are garbage, Bullseye excluded.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Good, 99% of it was done just for shock value and did nothing but distract from a good story with good characters.

What, you don't think someone being raped in an alley is funny? Perhaps you don't understand, it's a man being raped.... by another man! That's comedy gold.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

This news is just reminding me that in retrospect I don't think I actually like the comic that much.

The comic is a surprisingly good reading experience because it's got solid characters, clever writing and great pacing, but once you're done with it, the immense pile of unfunny, intolerant, juvenile Ennis garbage that accumulated makes you wonder how you even got through the whole thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

They cancelled the wonderful Spider-Man cartoon that they didn't create to put on the horrible one they have now. :(

That's not how it went down.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

When I was a kid, i was always blown away when the Xmen had to contact the Avengers for help, or Iron Man had to deal with Doc Ock, but they seem to be afraid to do that with the newer shows.

Well, just look how horribly it backfired when their film division tried to do that sort of thing!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Don't you hate on that wonderful clip.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What a wonderful world we live in now, where a superhero tie-in game being terrible is disappointing instead of something we all take as a given.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah, I mean, outside of the Simpsons, have voice actors ever successfully fought for increased rates? I imagine VA contracts are way cheaper than actor contracts. Also, does syndication even make that much money these days? It probably might, if international syndication is a thing I guess, but I would imagine ratings for your run of the mill daily reruns are dropped through the floor considering that primetime ratings for new episodes have all but collapsed in the past 10 years.

I'd imagine piracy and DVD collections have made syndication a lot less profitable for everyone involved.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

That doesn't seem to be necessary to make a billion dollars and craft your big web of shared universes.

Yeah, popular things suck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

Marvel movies also take on comic writers as script advisors. I think the first Spider-Man did add well but I don't know if Nolan did for Batman. Green Lantern did have Johns advising...

Bendis had a great story about advising on the first Spider-man movie, it was printed in one of the USM issues. I can't do it justice, but anyone who's read it knows what I'm talking about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LorneReams posted:

I wonder if Arrow will end up being the new model because goddamn is it just loving killing it.

If that means people will stop trying to make the next Smallville, I'm all for it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

e X posted:

the mid season final

What? Is this a thing?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ufarn posted:

Refresh my memory: isn't there also a libertarian version of Green Arrow? Maybe Frank Miller's?

Frank Miller's Green Arrow was more of an anarchist, in a world that had clearly crept into a very Big Brother-type state of near-fascism. That's a far cry from libertarianism or even anarcho-capitalism.

e X posted:

The conservative hero who normally oppose him in terms of political views is Hawk Man, though I have no idea which version, but I think it's the alien police officer. And even he is generally portrait as simply a political hardliner with old school rightwing opinions.

Didn't Green Arrow and Green Lantern used to basically be a buddy cop book starring a conservative military man and a liberal rebel?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can't wait to have a vaguely hispanic-looking businessman who wears red sunglasses and a serial killer who tells jokes sometimes show up as Bane and Joker and talk a lot but never do anything interesting.

And it's gonna be great when we're 8 seasons in and the entire Justice League is formed but Bruce is still like "Ugh, I don't know if I want to be Batman, I'd rather just mope at home and very reluctantly help people sometimes."

Also Vicki Vale is going to marry Killer Croc at some point.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 14, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Opopanax posted:

NBC's getting a Constantine pilot

I could dig that, NBC does some good stuff and Constantine is definitely a property that could work as a weekly show

I dunno, a show where John can't say gently caress or oval office seems like it just can't really be Hellblazer. Unless NBC's broadcasting standards changed massively since the last time I watched Late Night.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

It's not going to be Hellblazer. It's Constantine. It will have more to do with the movie than the comics. He'll be an American and trying to quit smoking.

Oh, that's fine then. That movie was fun. And maybe I can pretend Brimstone got reincarnated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA_DHFQ588g

But I still kinda wanted an HBO Hellblazer.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 14, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Oh poo poo, Brimstone was great. If Constantine can have Peter Stormare and John Glover in a Satan-off over John's soul they can Keanufy him all they want.

Brimstone was the exact perfect amount of corny trashy TV wrapped in a :krad: glaze, I can't believe it never got renewed. And yeah, John Glover was the best Satan that ever Satan'd.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Lex Luthor was a legitimately swell guy for half the series, but Clark Kent was basically a SuperDick to him the entire time and drove him into villainy.

Lex's struggle between being the man his father wanted him to be and being his own, possibly good, person was the only thing that made me ever care about Smallville(not enough to really like it, but if it happened to be on, I'd watch it), and that was kinda thrown out the window by season 4 or so, where he went full evil. And yeah, Clark is a real rear end in a top hat to him because of his angsty "I can't tell anyone about all this alien poo poo" attitude, and Pa Kent's childish projection of hating Lionel Luthor onto his son.

I guess Pa Kent being a raging rear end in a top hat and teaching paranoid values to his son is something Man of Steel and Smallville have in a common.

quote:

Jor El was a massive prick and even killed an innocent teen girl to teach Clark a lesson, and also made him think he still had a living relative by making the girl think she was Kara El. Then the real Kara El showed up anyway years later.

Wow, that was really Jor-El? I only caught a little bit of that (the episode where Jor-El puts a thing inside Clark that literally MAKES HIM EVIL) and I kinda just assumed it was Zod or some other evil Kryptonian posing as Jor-El just to be a convenient source of lovely manufactured drama for a season or two.

quote:

A real scene from Smallville:
Clark: What are you?!
Bizarro: I'm you, just more BIZARRE.

Hahaha I saw this one too on a lazy saturday afternoon, I couldn't loving believe that line, or the awful special effects that followed it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

greatn posted:

Yeah but then S1e7 will have television reporter Vic Sage or something and you'll all mark the F out.

He won't do anything important, behave like the Question in any meangingful way, or be played by a particularly good actor, but by golly, some nerd will be posting in this very thread saying that it makes up for the early seasons with the "boring Jim Gordon stuff".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

A live action Blue Beetle series would probably be too expensive since it would require quite a bit of CG.

No way, just have him be a regular teen with a blue plastic wristband that emits terrible-looking blue lens flares occasionally whenever he needs to use his "powers", and make sure he never says the word "beetle" ever no matter what. He can fight really poorly thought out metaphors for drug addiction and get sage advice from his physics teacher, Mr. Kord.

And then it can be on the air or 10 loving years and never be any good even for a single moment dear God someone help me forget about Smallville's existence.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Maybe they can get Happy Hogan and Betty Ross on there too, to really complete the cast of characters no one cares about from the movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't give a poo poo about no Gauntlet, I just want the movie version of THE ULTIMATE COSMIC EXPERIENCE to finally get made.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Heathen posted:

Maybe Marvel is letting things slide because

Marvel is owned by Disney now, Disney doesn't "let things slide" when it comes to IP rights.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Mike got all hosed up in the explosion, losing a leg and getting his face all mangled and melted. He's not gonna be pretty when they've finished patching him together.

It's so hard to believe a superhero/sci fi show would actually go to the trouble of making something cool and inhuman look cool and inhuman. There's so many examples in the last 15 years of people putting an attractive 20-something in a black form-fitting athletic suit and saying they're a robot, alien or superhero.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really hope iZombie doesn't take off, I absolutely hated the comic and couldn't take it being the Hot New Zombie Show everyone won't shut up about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Aside from the rushed ending, what didn't you like about iZombie?

The dialogue was like rusty nails being driven into my brain. I only read 2 issues but that was more than enough for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Don't even joke :doom:

James Marsters is a lot less terrible a possibility than "some guy no one's ever heard of who's really bad but is sexy enough to get teens to watch", which is the safe bet for any TV adaptation of a comic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I hope they make Constaine in a larger universe. I'd kill for him to run into Zatanna or Deadman. Or, gods be kind, Sandman.

Really? Outside of the very rare cameo and like two team-ups, he barely interacted with anyone in the larger DCU once he got his own book. Bringing in guest stars would already take away from what makes him work as a character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PupsOfWar posted:

I quibble only because the Kree seem like another area where there could be some film-rights ambiguity

I'm not seeing how. Besides the connection to the Inhumans, the Kree have always been more of an Avengers thing than an FF thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I honestly wonder if Disney could sue over the name. I doubt they would, but then again, they've sued for stupider things.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Once again I'm kinda baffled anyone watched that show long enough to explain in detail how bad it got.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Madkal posted:

However they are suggesting a supernatural procedure instead of hipster zombies.

Then maybe it'll graduate from insufferable to boring.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Opopanax posted:

I think a lot of people were turned off by 10 years of Smallville more than anything

Yeah, honestly, I have an kneejerk negative reaction to any superhero live action stuff which seems to shy away from the fantastic aspects of superhero comics due to Smallville. I just do not want to watch a superhero show about people in t-shirts vaguely doing CGI at each other while mostly dealing with bad drama.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

I have no beeves with SWORD. It goes well with SHIELD, and there was already precedence with STRIKE back in the 70s or something. HAMMER was when things went too far.

Don't forget the rarely-mentioned transdimensional security authority, A.R.M.O.R.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Medullah posted:

Here's hoping we get an episode with M.O.D.O.K.

You'll get 10 episodes with some guy named Tarleton who'll mention Project MODOK offhandedly in a conversation, but he'll never turn into MODOK or do anything except be some nerd with maybe a laser gun.