Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hakkesshu posted:

Even though it didn't work in the comics, I wouldn't mind a Capt. Marvel movie being 80% set in space. Probaby extremely unlikely though.

Dropping in from CineD, for what it's worth Marvel said at the announcement of all the phase 3 movies that Captain Marvel is going to be one of the cosmic characters and is slated to be the most powerful hero in the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From CineD, up close look at Batman's mech suit. Seems to go over the regular batsuit rather than be a separate thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

theflyingorc posted:

True enough. It's just absolutely amazing that they've been making Superman films of some sort for so long, and they still haven't used Brainiac or Bizarro.

I'm guessing if they ever get around to a real Justice League movie, they'll probably end up using Darkseid, but it's mostly been Luthor presents the Luthor show starring Luthor, plus Zod who I don't think was that popular before he was in Superman 2?

Snyder's been saying for a while that if he gets first call on the villain for a Justice League movie, he's thinking Doomsday or Brainiac.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bobkatt013 posted:

Maybe. Black Widow is really loyal to Cap so she could be on his side. However, they might have a training fight between the two of them.

According to a couple of leaks, it works out to being Widow, Falcon, and Hawkeye firmly on Cap's side, Vision, War Machine, and Ant-man on Stark's, then Scarlet Witch, Spiderman, and Black Panther as neutral/knock-it-off-guys-there's-a-problem parties.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Codependent Poster posted:

There's a full page shot of the Joker out there.

He looks really terrible.

Dropping in from CineD to post the shot in question for reference:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Dropping in from CineD again since I didn't see this posted here:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Some stuff from the Suicide Squad article at Empire (scans are already on the web):

- Katana is Flagg's bodyguard and is all but stated she has the same magic sword than in the comics

- Deadshot, Harley and Joker have a love triangle going on

- Enchantress isn't a member of the squad

- Boomerang has a "drone-boomerang" on his arsenal

- Joker's "trippy, fancy-dress clad henchmen include a panda, an eyeball and a weeping baby"

- Alejandro Jodorowski was a design influence for the Joker while Mexican cartel bosses are the inspiration for his wardrobe.

- Ayer describes the Joker as "A very successful and smart businessman besides being a sopciopath"

- Harley was the first member picked for the squad since Ayer saw her story about breaking free from the Joker and becoming her own person like a metaphor for everyone's journey in the movie.

- Ayer's quote about SS being a comic book movie 2.0 "You know, all these movies about defeating the evil alien robot from loving Planet X, before destroys the world with its ticking clock. And who the gently caress cares? But you do a story about struggle and isolation and people who has been poo poo on, that suddenly get thrown this lifeline...that's not so bad. I like to think of this as Comic book movie 2.0"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bobkatt013 posted:

So it would be a lot like Dark Knight?

Or Batman Forever, substituting Joker for Two-Face.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Coogler confirmed as Black Panther director.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chaos Hippy posted:

A lot of dudes (and only dudes) on the internet are insisting that Rey is a Mary Sue because they don't know what "Mary Sue" means and ascribe it to any female character who's good at stuff and doesn't need to be rescued by the menfolk. I wasn't aware of the Landis connection, but it wouldn't surprise me.

There's also an element of forgetting that Rey's skills and abilities are comparable to Luke Skywalker's in ANH, and that Ren is supposed to be a barely trained Sith when he fights her.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I enjoyed Man of Steel, but personally it had nothing to do with Superman himself. I felt he and Lois Lane were the weakest parts of the movie, but were propped up by an excellent supporting cast.

My main fear for BvS is that it's going to try to do too much in one movie, trying to go for Avengers money without understanding how patiently Marvel built up to the event.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
CineD found this.

http://twitter.com/officialDannyT/status/689510773882691584/photo/1

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zoux posted:

There was a rumor going around that one of the possible Phase 2 Marvel Netflix series was Thunderbolts.

It wouldn't be hard to do it as a movie, I think. Loki as a maybe-reforming antihero as the centerpiece, Justin Hammer is another easy one, possibly Nebula or Yondu. I'd love to see Spader-Ultron back in such a role as well - Avengers 2 was a bit of a mess, but Spader's Ultron is my favorite Marvel villain just to watch on screen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Comfortador posted:

I wish they would've showed Piotr without being armored up. I know the whole character was CGI, but still bummed me out.

I found it hilarious that he was armored up the entire movie. Even while eating oatmeal in the X-Mansion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Haven't seen it posted in this thread and potentially relevant, the trailer for Daredevil season 2 with the Punisher has released. The TVIV thread has already been consumed in arguments over whether Punisher is a good guy or not.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Some of the merchandising seems to confirm the leaked script regarding who lives and dies. If accurate... Deadshot, Harley, Boomerang, Croc, and Katana all live. Enchantress is a bad guy and dies, Slipknot gets cranial bombed, and Diablo and Flagg die more or less heroically.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jamesman posted:

That's fair.

I dunno. I just always kind of associated his style to that of The Punisher's, where weapons and military skills were enough for him and that's what made him stand out. Seeing him with some kind of heavy, possibly teched-out armor is just a different direction that I associate the character with. But then again, I don't read comics (so I might not really know what I'm talking about), and I did say it might read better when seen in the final product.

From what's been seen in other photos, it's not really powered armor, just an exoskeleton thing over the arms so he can punch in Cap's and Bucky's weight class.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aphrodite posted:

It's Cap trying to protect his mass murderer friend from being taken into custody.

Iron Man was Right.

And according to leaks, brainwashed Bucky was the one who killed Howard Stark.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chaos Hippy posted:

That would do more to get me interested in BvS than everything they've done to market it so far.

I don't think DC has the guts for that. Now if the Iron Fist Netflix series was billed as Mortal Kombat: Marvel Edition...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Full costumes revealed for Elektra and Punisher in the Netflix season 2.

BrianWilly posted:

Official promo shot of DD, Punisher, and Elektra in their costumes, from the butts up at least. Everyone else is showing off their butts Frankie, don't be be spoilsport.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dacap posted:

He was great. There wasn't really anything wrong that was Affleck's fault, the problems with the character in the film were all bad story choices. I also LOVED Irons as Alfred. Caine's Alfred was there to guide a young Bruce Wayne in the right direction. Irons was dealing with a 20-years active Batman who was too old to listen to him and was thoroughly tired of Batman's poo poo.

Batfleck also works very well in the movie as a contrast to everyone who's not him and Alfred, and the ending sets him up as the one who's going to take the initiative establishing the Justice League as the grizzled old leader. I'm not sure he'll be as enjoyable and good without a more idealistic foil.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shageletic posted:

I love how this humanizes the rightwing crazy cartoonist, and it makes so much drat sense.

He's not actually a crazy right-wing cartoonist. He's the Onion's cartoonist.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

She would be perfect casting for a Superman movie that had any idea what to do with her.

This. I think she's a fine actress, but Lois Lane's primary role in both MoS and BvS is to be a damsel in distress, which is not a role that requires great skill at acting or a nuanced portrayal.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BlackJosh posted:

I sorta agree but the other argument is "well make better villains than one dimensional nazis) but I kinda love how Hydra is the nefarious mustache twirling bad guys that are showing up and ruining everyone's day across the MCU and also (at least on Agents of Shield) everyone making sure to remind them "yo you guys are fuckin Nazis" and various Hydra underlings getting all pissy about that.

The Hydra stuff has probably been my favorite stuff that they've done just because I'm a sucker for Nazi bad guys.

I think it helps that Hydra is probably the most consistently competent and dangerous villain in movies so far.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

X-O posted:

The Squad are not going after Joker in the film, they're going after the plant looking guy in the subway shots. Who may or may not be working with Enchantress. I think Joker is just kind of a side thing in the film, maybe he comes looking for Harley.

According to the leaks, they're going after Enchantress, who is trying to - and may have - summoned and bound her brother or something called Incubus into the Joker, who is captured by Enchantress as Incubus' host vessel.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One of the reviews being talked about in CineD spoils one point about Civil War: the casualty list. No one dies, but War Machine is permanently crippled and can no longer walk.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Die Laughing posted:

Lex Luthor hates Superman because he wasn't there to stop his dad from beating him when he was a child. He didn't just lose faith in God, he actively hates God. I remember some comic or something where the Punisher wishes God had a face to punch or whatever. That's Luthor.

He lays it out pretty clearly: Lex is a Satanist/atheist. He believes that God cannot be both all-powerful and all-good, or his dad wouldn't have beat him as a child. Enter Superman, who as the movie drills on at length is Jesus. Lex's plan is designed to force Superman to reveal either that he is not all-powerful or that he is not all-good. Except he's both because gently caress you he's Superman bow down before him.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Lex directly stated his motivations during the movie: he doesn't believe anyone can be both all-powerful and all-good, so he engineers Superman to come into conflict with Batman in such a way that either Batman would defeat Superman (proving that Supes is not all-powerful) or that Supes would kill Batman (proving that Supes is not all-good). He ratcheted up Batman's paranoia and hostility to make him into an implacable enemy of Superman in an effort to prevent precisely what ended up happening - that they'd talk to each other and peace out. Lex only unleashes Doomsday when Superman proves that he is both all-powerful and all-good.

The movie is not subtle about Superman being God and that Lex hates God therefore he hates Superman.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair, Beast as a character in the comics is awful so they didn't have much to work with.

Beast was genuinely good in the Last Stand movie. He was the *only* good character in the Last Stand, but if Singer wanted to use Beast, just use the actor and portrayal from Last Stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought Michael Douglas was pretty great as Hank Pym

He stole the whole drat movie for me. My kingdom for a Hank Pym cameo in Infinity War where he punches Captain America and Tony Stark in the face.

• Locked thread