Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Nearly every semester when I try to register for classes, all the ones I want are at the same goddamn time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

All term, several of us in one class have been requesting that our marks get posted on Blackboard. Multiple times. He's no luddite; he's posted all of our lecture Powerpoints, has a links page, and custom background.

He keeps saying he will. Our final is on Thursday. Not a single grade has been posted. What the hell? This is his only class! I hate not having my marks available.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Kavak posted:

Does he not hand back graded assignments or what?

He accepted them all by e-mail!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Today a prof got angry when a few students attempted to e-mail Word document assignments after she told us to use Google Docs. Fair enough. But what was her reason for hating Word?

It comes with viruses that attack her computer. Wait, what?

She's also an open fan of Sherlock, Dr. Who, and MLP. I'm sticking it out though, I think it will be quite the experience.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The geology department at my university is still like this now. They don't post anything online, don't respond to e-mails, and do all the notes on overhead. It's amazing actually, because you move to the offices next door in the geography department, and they're out recording observations in the field using 3D GoPros and have laser pens to draw on the screen in class.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Double Plus Good posted:

Oh, god, this is one of my worst pet peeves. It instantly sets me in a rage and I just have to cover my mouth so I don't start shouting "WHAT? WHAT??" to get my point across.

Prof: So, one of the issues with the law is.... [long pause for response]
Student many rows away: [mumbles].....[mumbles]
Prof: Right! That's important to remember. So, the next issue is...

etc. etc. etc. It sends me into a wild eyed frenzy. Why even ask the class if you're not going to repeat it for everyone? Another thing that bothers me is when the professor if looking for a very specific answer, but won't just give it up, and instead keeps weedling the class for closer and closer responses. "Mhm, and what else? And what else? Almost, but what else? Mhm, anybody else? Anybody?" NO, because it's obvious after the first three people tried that we don't get what you're looking for. Large lecture classes that the professor wants to make into a dialogue are the worst. That kind of set-up only works in a smaller seminar type setting.

Even in small classes it sucks. Mine are typically 25-30 people, and I get profs who keep begging for answers. If no one figured it out in a couple of minutes, no one will so just give up and tell us already so we can move on.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Hahahaha I have a prof who actually expects us to do an assignment over reading break.

gently caress that nonsense, I'm going to Cuba.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Ariza posted:

:arghfist: (pretend it's the old man shaking his fist)

When did sweatpants become trendy attire with college kids? I swear to christ at least 75% of the males in my writing class wear them. These are all in shape, friendly, normal kids, but when I was in my late teens the only people who wore sweatpants were people who weren't really socially acceptable. It doesn't bother me in any way I just find it odd. Also, the penetration of big Beats headphones is complete and makes me feel self-conscious with my little white earbuds. I've come to accept that everyone under 25 is unable to sit still without their either their laptops or cell phones in their hands.

I can hardly tell any of my fellow female students apart anymore. They all wear the same thing: Uggs, baggy sweatpants, off-one-shoulder knit sweater, and a floppy sock bun. I stick out like a sore thumb sometimes.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Not long ago, after our province promised additional funding of 2%, they backtracked and took away 8% instead. I remember my university claimed there would be NO tuition hike, but then they implemented a brand new fee shortly afterwards. It's called the Student Services fee, an additional $120 per semester. Tuition still went up anyway.

That still wasn't enough to balance the budget either, they had to let some staff go, cut seats available across the board, and cancelled a couple of programs. It's been fun times around here. :toot:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My school has no mealplan type thing at all. We do have a food court with normal prices. $10 meals for everyone! The Students Association has free breakfast like toast and fruit to offer but I'm always in class then anyway. I don't live on campus but I think the dorms do all have kitchens.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Not always but I have had classes where presentations had to go for 20 minutes or you'd lose marks. There would be weeks on end of nothing but presentations. Basically the prof ran out of easy-to-get course material and just filled the rest with our BS.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My prof likes Doge. She made a powerpoint slide about "The influence of Doge". OMFG.

It wasn't meant to be serious, just a visual example of a presentation poster, but still. I've posted about her before. She has mentioned Reddit, Imgur, and Tumblr in class.

All I could do when that face was staring out from the screen was :stare:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I often have a browser running in class because I'm chipping away at other classes at the same time plus I've been dealing with a lot of time-sensitive e-mails these days. It usually has Facebook in one of the tabs, just out of bad habit. I only go there if I have a notification though. I should close the tab, but I'm horribly addicted. :(

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My university just built it's few first unisex bathrooms :iia:

Honestly, for everything I have to complain about the place, there's 10 things I love.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The new alerts system on Blackboard does nothing other than piss me off. I like that we can see new content added for all courses on one page in a list, that's cool and convenient. Except for the fact that it doesn't contain any loving links to the full post within the courses' sites. I have a 'program site' where tons and tons of stuff gets posted for everyone in my degree to see. I saw something that looked really interesting today, wanted to read it even though it didn't really apply to me for the time being. I can't find it. Pieces of poo poo who designed this garbage, I swear.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

So remember that class I took with the pony on the course outline? I just got this in my e-mail.

"Part of the exam is on an image I will provide. The other part will be based on an image you bring in. You need to find an example of a meme (or image macro). You will be writing an essay on the visual references and meaning of your chosen image"

OH MY GOD WHY

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I'm digging these ideas, actually. I could easily write a ton of poo poo about Loss.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I wondered if I would ever get both the first final exam of the term, and the last. Tomorrow, 9 a.m., and April 24, 7 p.m. Boo.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Hello FYAD, how are you today?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I did it. I finished that stupid general education class with ponies and memes and poo poo. I wrote an essay about the Cyanide and Happiness comic that mocks Loss. I can't believe this is a real thing that happened. I wish I was able to get a picture for you guys as proof it happened, but she started the exam 5 minutes early so I walked in 3 minutes "late".

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Hahahahahahaha oh my god I got an A- in my stupid meme class. She liked my "Loss" essay, this is amazing.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Eggn0g posted:

What's even taught in a meme class? I'm legitimately curious.

I had an English requirement for my degree, so I chose a class called "Writing about images" because I really like photography and poo poo. We hardly wrote a thing, mostly discussed in class. I think I only showed up for half the classes after it turned from analyzing famous photos to looking at garbage like Shiba Confessions and XKCD in class. The teacher mentioned stuff she saw on Reddit and Tumblr numerous times. Our final exam was to write an essay on a meme of our choice, as well as analyze 1 of 3 pictures she chose, which were actually decent, to be fair.

Basically they gave a Redditor free range to make a General Education class and she took it to the next level.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

It's the latter. Definitely the latter. I've read some other students' work, particularily in group research papers. It baffles me how they can write so bad. I always take on editing and formatting in a group because everyone else's work is so terrible.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

It's a new year starting up, so I'll just get this one out of the way.

loving. Textbooks.

I have a course that has a mandatory $220 book because it comes with a data set CD that we'll be using. I usually get away with not buying them, and just going to the library when I have to, but this time, not so much. It's about half the price of the most expensive textbook I've seen so far, but still. It makes me cranky.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I'm not a driver, I bike or bus, but my friends have mentioned that my university sells more parking pass than there are stalls with the assumption that not everyone is there everyday, so it should work out!

It doesn't.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm a math minor because the more math you know the better you get at computer science. This, of course, leads to studying some heavy duty advanced stuff. Every loving class happens at 8 a.m. All of them. I'm not a morning person and I especially don't want to try doing advanced calculus at 8 in the drat morning.

They always do this. I had both calculus and quantum chem at 8 am, and I barely even remember being there, let alone the actual content. Oh yeah, and genetics too, of course.

I also had to take kayaking for my current degree, which was 8 am Monday morning. I did not have the energy for that at all. Never did master the Greenland roll.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

When it's the only section available for mandatory courses, you have no choice.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Grey Elephants posted:

My university somehow hosed up its internet so that we can't connect to anything powered by Google while we're on campus. Including our student emails. I'm not an IT guy but how does that even happen :psyduck:
And no indication of when it'll be fixed. Considering the change machines next to the laundry rooms have been broken since the start of the year, I don't have much confidence.

And its really frigging difficult to hook my computer up to an ethernet port because of the way the rooms are laid out.

Our school recently got a bunch of budget cuts, and our networks seemed to have suffered a lot due to it. Since the cuts, the internet cuts in and out constantly, some days it doesn't work for hours, and the other day, in a computer lab class, the servers went down and no one could log in to do their work. If we could have just used our own laptops to do the work, that would have been great, but the program has a $100 a year licensing fee so gently caress that.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I use my giant laptop for note-taking and nothing else in class because I always have to do everything in Word for printing purposes. My netbook is reserved for travel only. :colbert:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

You guys are way behind, they've been in style here :canada: for a couple years now.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Godsped posted:

I hate when I want to answer questions in class but I already have a lot so the teacher looks around desperately saying "anyone other than godsped?" and eventually chooses a random student.

I completed a minor in geography, and am now taking a foundation general education class based on geography with a prof I've had and also volunteered for. I avoid speaking up in that class because I don't want to be that student. But then the prof asks me a lot because she knows I know the answer, so I'm not doing a very good job not being a know-it-all. I sure am popular when it comes to "now everyone get into groups" though :tipshat:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Yeah, this won't take too long. Two or three questions, tops.

"Alright, class, based on what we've read, which continent do you think has the lowest average temperature? Yes, Picnic?"

"BOSTON!"

"...not quite. Ummm, but you're sort of close, I guess."

She did give me a bit of a look when she asked me to say the lat/long coordinates for the school, and I skipped on saying degrees/minutes/seconds and just said the numbers, because it takes too long otherwise and that's boring. But then again, I kind of understand her annoyance since this is probably the first time some of these kids have even attempted to understand any coordinate system at all.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Gobblecoque posted:

It's me.

I'm the deformed offspring walking the streets at night. :shepface:

Don't worry, I'll be your friend. Pay no mind to Angry McAngerson over there.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I know, I know, as a Canadian I have no right to complain. A few years ago tuition worked out to about $500 a class. Next semester it's $700. I was getting by so well working part-time, I didn't even have loans. Thanks, provincial government, for our 7% budget cuts! Especially after promising a 3% increase. I hope you enjoyed using tax-payer funded planes to fly your kid and her friends around and spending half a million on a trip to India.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

A White Guy posted:

Oh man, :allears:. Your life is so difficult. It cost me more than you in fees alone last year, never mind tuition.(Even with California's subsidized collegiate system .:smithicide:)

If it makes you feel slightly better, I don't qualify for loans, my bank account is currently negative, and tuition is due in 6 weeks.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

So, I'm in a program which requires me to go off campus sometimes for some classes, for a whole day, weekends, occasionally longer. Lots of field trips, expeditions, etc. This semester, I had two days where I was required to participate off campus, during times when I had other classes scheduled. I approached the professor of the classes, informing her I'd be away for a class, and explained why, which was I was teaching Grade 8 students for the day. "Okay" was pretty much the response I got.

What she neglected to mention was in that class, we were covering some really important information that would not be posted on Blackboard. Information that made up over half of an exam worth 15% of my mark. Needless to say, I failed. I aced all the stuff that was posted. If she had just mentioned "You might want to get notes off of someone else because this particular information won't be posted online" when I let her know I'd be away for another class and it was mandatory or I'd fail it, that would have been loving great. Problem is I don't think I can get any sort of leniency even though I tried beforehand.

And then she took me aside afterwards and asked "are you done teaching those kids now? Because this is a problem" Yeah, no poo poo. Thanks.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My favourite early morning exam was 8 a.m. on a Saturday, for math of all things. On weekdays, my commute is usually an hour because I live on the opposite side of the city, but I could bus into downtown and then catch another that goes straight to the university. On Saturdays, the bus from downtown doesn't run that early, so I had to take a "circle route" bus (literally a giant circle-shaped route through the suburbs) which takes two hours to get there. It was also near -40 that day. I was too broke to take a cab.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

How do people get into university without knowing the most basic of conversions? Specifically, how many centimeters in a meter. I'm pretty sure we learn that as soon as we learn to count to 100.

And yet I was in a class where we had to do map scale exercises and by the end of the semester, the prof was so exasperated with people still using 10 or 1000 that she told us that she would put that specific question on our final.

It was on there twice. TWICE. How many cm in a m, and how many m in a cm. She wanted to drill it in their heads so hard that they should loving know this by now. It's ridiculous.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Raxivace posted:

Uh I'll have you know that the Metric system was designed to subvert America and American values because we have our own system for measurements and

We're all Canadian :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

One of my profs is currently getting us to use Google Classroom and Drive because "Blackboard isn't in the real world so you might as well get used to what they might use at your future job", but so far hasn't figured out how to actually share any course material to our Drives.

• Locked thread