Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

gently caress papers. I can't go a week without writing a goddamn essay about some bullshit.

If I wrote a memoir right now, it'd be titled How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Essay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I haven't had to deal with vape assholes yet, but the everyday "talking all lecture" people get under my skin. I can deal with anecdote guy, since I'm not to far from him. (I have a sense when to shut up. It's a subtle, but key difference.) But the two kids who can't stop discussing cars or reality tv who talk just loud enough for me to hear over the teacher? Maybe it's a non-traditional student problem, but I'm headed down a really hard path, and just because you can't be assed to pay attention beyond the minimum passing level doesn't mean I don't need to be batting in the 3.7+ range. So shut up you vapid fucks. :mad:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A White Guy posted:

College.txt

I'm not smart. I'm a raging idiot who can't stop himself from answering questions in class.

especially since I'm taking the class again :eng99:

What's up repeat buddy? Seeing as this is my second attempt after dropping out of college the first time, I have now taken this macroeconomics class four times. The previous three times I at some point just decided to stop going to class.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Macroeconomics sucks dog balls anyway. I've never met anyone who has taken that course and said "yeah that was fun and informative, I'm so glad I took that class and got an A"

I'm the guy on the edge of the bell curve that is actually planning to major in economics. I did straight up tell my professor though that I couldn't wait to get out of his course and move on to actual content courses. He said he didn't blame me.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ducreux posted:

My school has a limited number of licenses for the software package I need to use, so it's only available in a computer lab with 12 computers. Every time I go in there, there are students on their laptops sitting at these stations. Not even logged into the computer, just taking up the space browsing Facebook.

Most of my computer lab woes are communitycollege.txt problems. Namely the place being too drat noisy. Often times there are straight up classes in there. And the most egregious is when some dumbass, rather than walk over and talk to her friend across the room, just straight up yells. And no one does a drat thing. :wtc:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This sounds dumb, but it makes a certain amount of sense. They're not saying "this might be a symptom of pregnancy", they're saying "do we have a fetus to worry about too?".
[/quote]

Considering the amount of pregnant people on my campus as well, it doesn't seem like a bad question to ask.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chemosh6969 posted:

If you're pregnant and get offended when a medical facility asks if you're pregnant, you seriously need to grow the gently caress up. It's time to start taking into account that you have a thing growing inside your loving beer gut and learn some responsibility. We don't need some deformed offspring walking the streets at night, mangling people, just because you lied to a doctor and took medicine that changed a normal kid into the monster from It's Alive.

Actually, I think we do. :stare:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Steampunk iPhone posted:

I guess I thought it was more widespread than it was... maybe it's just a thing at my school. People take a Gatorade bottle or one of those water bottles with the squeeze top and try to spray your rear end with the drink when you're not looking. :(

Are you sure you're not looking for the Highschool Complaints thread? Because this was popular in high school, but I've never seen it in college.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hipster Occultist posted:

Jesus H Christ, 4 loving grand for one semester?
Yeah, I pay less than this per YEAR to live off campus. With room for utilities. Is this some private school in the middle of a richy rich community or something?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

You are not special, and you do not get the grade that you deserve. You get the grade that you earn.

High school does a bad job of teaching this. $21k in debt and dropping out for 2 years is a much more convincing Master.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chemosh6969 posted:

They don't have the right of way when they're crossing on a Don't Walk light at a crosswalk. A few years back the cops did a sting and got a ton of students. All of them interviewed by the newspaper were complaining because they're safer than cars and shouldn't have to wait if it's clear. I'm sure they say differently about a car at a red light. "Golly gee, it was clear so why should I get a ticket?"

The sting happened because students were jaywalking and getting run over at the time. Not just regular jaywalking but the extra stupid kind where you don't look and are either talking on a phone or have headphones on and are listening to music and then just decide to step onto the road.

I wish my city did this. I'm going to say city because there is a public and private college right next door to each other, a community college, and numerous for-profits all clustered in the area. And all of the student pedestrians are like this. I almost mulched three bros running across an extremely busy four-lane road Friday night. Guess the cops are too busy chasing down MIPs.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A White Guy posted:

Let me tell you what the evaluation will find: "Need moar bandwidth".

But that's what happens when the campus hasn't upgraded their pipe since the early 2000s.

The reply from the CIO and board will be "It's not in the budget." Meanwhile, your CIO will start a project to move the college's email services over to the company he has shares in.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

To be fair to the IT guys, students and professors alike can be really, really loving stupid about computers and IT stuff on campus. Not that they're always faultless, but anyone who's worked in IT can confirm that some people have difficulty with ideas such as "Your computer isn't broken, just turn on the monitor" and it goes downhill from there.

This is of course true, but when it's your own student employees who work for your IT department, study some variant of computer science or information systems, and are saying the same things, that's generally a hint that the question was perfectly understood, and there's a problem.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Skinny King Pimp posted:

You managed 6 instances of "apparently" in 4 bullet points. Gonna go ahead and complain about the lax standards in freshman writing courses. :v:

Given the horror story he was related, I think it's forgivable if your English grammar processing faculties temporarily give out.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

You all talk like having to work at 5am the day after the final day of classes is going to stop anyone from drinking. :yotj:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

canyoneer posted:

Why would you sabotage your peers? Grading on a curve?

Yeah, this seems like TV drama poo poo. Only thing I can imagine is limited slots and me not understanding the heady world of post-graduate education. Which is a horrible thing to say given that I'm planning to head that way.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

I was getting harassed pretty extensively last month by people I thought were my friends, and in the interest of my own mental health I decided to take time away from social media. I took my Facebook down for about a week and tried just chilling and reading, but I was only an hour or two into that when the campus police showed up at my apartment. My friend had seen my Facebook disappear and thought I'd killed myself, so she called the cops. Not mad at her, she was just worried.

I'm being brought up on conduct violation charges now (The policy is "Other") in response to being reported as suicidal. Last Spring I actually made an attempt on my own life and was expelled from my former school for it (I had already left the school/withdrawn/lived 200 miles away, but they still held a conduct meeting without me and charged me).

My complaint? gently caress the higher education system's "attempt" at giving a gently caress about students and their wellbeing. I live in Washington state, which is supposed to be more progressive than others in this realm, but apparently you're still a problem to schools if you're suicidal.

Lawyer time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Finisher1 posted:

Whatever merit there is in what this guy is saying is completely squandered by how much of a condescending shitheel he comes off as. Some random kid forgot to plug in his ethernet cable and thought his internet wasn't working? Millenials don't know how to use computers :smug:

Yeah. I have many of the same complaints from my time working at the school help desk, but I hope I wasn't this big a shitheel about it. At least, I know I'm not now. I even joke that the techie's best tool is Google, and explain that 90% of my work came down to checking for things like cables plugged in, switches switched, and reading prompts on the screen.

Sure, 10% came from knowing that I could reformat a corrupted drive then use data recovery software to find the lost data because of how digital storage works, but that was few and far between people who had all the same problems as this guy's customers.

I do know someone who is pretty much this guy too. He's also a full-tilt ancap libertarian.

edit: gently caress, then the guy starts going into a screed about how using an OS should require going up hill both ways in a snowstorm? :fuckoff:

Warmachine has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Jan 23, 2015

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

How Rude posted:

why aren't there laws or something protecting the interests of the students or whatever. it feels like i'm burning money every time the next semester's bill is ready to be paid with all the extra course fees and textbooks on top of my tuition

Oh, oh, this is an easy one. They consistently have the lowest voter turnout in major elections, and even lower in smaller elections like the 2014 congressional election.

As someone politically active who just left the 18-24 bracket, this is a sore issue for me. Granted, this isn't the whole issue, but it is a big loving deal.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Hey, if only one blew off his or her part, you got pretty lucky. Here's who could've been in your group:

Ras-Trent: No project work from this guy because he's always stoned. Wears the same foul-smelling Grateful Dead hemp hoodie every single day. Shows up to class late, if at all. Never bothered buying the textbook.

Sergeant Important: In ROTC, and can't come to class or participate in projects because he always "has drill that day." Thinks he's better than everyone else and has no problem butting into conversations to say so.

MegaMom: Didn't complete her project portion because WELL UNLIKE YOU GUYS I'M A FULL-TIME STUDENT AND A FULL-TIME MOM, I HAVE FOUR KIDS TO RAISE, I DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO MAKE THE POWERPOINT BECAUSE RICKY HAS COLIC AND I HAD TO TAKE JESSICA TO THE ORTHODONTIST TO HAVE HER BRACES ADJUSTED AND YOU WOULDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ANY OF THAT BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE KIDS

The CEO: Didn't bring his project work to the meeting because "it's on his other laptop." Wears an ill-fitting Burlington Coat Factory suit to class, and carries a briefcase for some reason. Wants everyone to think he's smart, handsome, rich, and on the fast-track to corporate management. If you do finally get his portion of the project from him, it'll all be totally wrong and essentially useless, and he'll laugh it off, saying "oh ha ha, I was preoccupied with 'other projects' when I did that."

ALL-STAR PRO: Full ride sports scholarship. When he isn't at practice or hung over, he will actually try, because Coach said he had to pass this class. He can nail a free throw in front of thousands of screaming fans, but you'll never see that Excel graph he volunteered to make. He'll be lucky to even get the computer turned on.

Brosef Fratman: SPRING BREAK!

New Socrates: One semester of introductory philosophy courses awakened something in this kid, and now every little thing requires a deep discussion and tons of reflection. He or she agreed to write the abstract for your project, but it's six pages long and peppered with references to pre-socratic philosophical thought and political theory.

Taciturn Tina: Never speaks. Sits in the back of the room and stares blankly into space when called on by the professor. When everybody was volunteering for parts of the project to complete, she didn't speak up, and nobody noticed. Halfway through the semester she stops showing up to group meetings and nobody cares. When filling out group evaluations, you all write "Who was this?" next to her name.

Yokel Townie: Sixty-seven years old and in his sophomore year of undergraduate school. Does nothing in group meetings but chat with MegaMom about what it's like to have kids.

Send this to Hollywood as a pitch for a prime time comedy and you'll never have to go to school again.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

How Rude posted:

I get these a lot. There are so many students that just sit there and stare and don't say anything. You can even ask them to contribute or say "What do you think Tina?" and they just....stare. Maybe they say a word or two then breathe in and sigh and then it's back to staring. Either that or they are checking Facebook/Vine/Pinterest for the 50 billionth time.

They probably aren't going to get through college if their ability to collaborate is that non-existant are going to get through college because there are people carrying them through the course

in other words gently caress group work, it just stresses out the students that actually care about doing well and automatically passes the students that don't do poo poo

This was my business stats class. In the end, myself and the other dude carrying the load both got our talking points straight for the peer assessment and told the professor the other two didn't do poo poo beyond contribute a laptop and making the powerpoint--sorry, keynote--because Macs are better or some such (:confused:) and wearing low-cut tops, respectively.

As such, I hate group projects, and always take the opportunity to go it alone if it presents itself.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hummingbirds posted:

The anti-abortion truck is on campus today, distracting drivers with its graphic fetus picture wraps.

Oh and one of my professors was late today. He apologized and said it was because he was feeling sore after being hit by a car last night. :wtf: It was a student on her cell phone, she hit him while he was in a crosswalk and knocked him out of his shoes.

Your professor sounds hard as gently caress. "Sorry I'm late, I got hit by a car and I'm still a bit sore."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So, prof, if you plan to have us host a 'networking event,' having us bring guests and have us plan it, don't change the date three times. Because, you see, the real world plans ahead, and when you make me send three different emails to various people who have tight schedules changing the date and time, gently caress you. gently caress you and your stupid class. Next time, let me book the room, time, and do all of the planning, and keep your incompetent hand and opinion out of things. Also, don't saddle me with other people to delegate to. An event for 25 people is loving cupcakes, there doesn't need to be 4 divisions of labor.

Glad I didn't print the formal invitations yet, I guess. Fucker.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Campus preachers are one of the reasons I came to like campus Mormons. Well dressed, polite, never particularly judgmental when I said it's not my thing, and gently caress right off if you don't want to chat about the basketball team, weather, or whatever else passes for small talk that day. Even went to a service once, and had good talks about faith and other religious stuff that, while I didn't buy into, we had a good time with and each walked away with insights.

Batshit crazy biblical fan fiction, but good people.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Awesome. Just what I need. Typhoid Marty in my house has given us all some loving sickness he picked up at a weeaboo convention and now I'm sick the day before my class project networking event. loving sweet. At least I can truncate the day and just attend that class. I'll beg forgiveness from the one of my teachers I'll see there and take all of the nighttime cold medicine when I get home. And then hopefully be better the next morning to go to my coffee shop job because being an independent student sucks balls except for Pell grants.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Final grades came out Friday. And somehow, my math class has given me a 0.0.

I don't know if my math professor just didn't submit my grade, or is doing some weird magical mathematics that makes four tests and a final exam worth no points, he had all day Friday and the rest of this weekend to answer my email about why my syllabus-based math and his etheric math wizardry don't match up, but if I don't get one, I'll be getting in touch with the registrar as soon as I get out of work Monday morning.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ms Boods posted:

I'm at an academic conference at the moment. Student presentations are nothing compared to some of the lovely presentations their professors give at these things. There needs to be a conference paper/presentation Bingo card, too

*Reads a wall of text off PPTs

*Meaningless, unexplained illustrations on PPTs

*Low-res images on the PPTs that when blown up to the size of the screen in the auditorium look like those 90s Magic Eye pictures. i spent a good five minutes squinting at one trying to figure out if I were meant to be looking at a butterfly or something

*People who are so buried in their obscure research topics that no one has a clue what in the hell their presentation is on

*People who do not know their audience: there are a number of independent scholars here this week, and while some are quite good, there are people who are lecturing at a junior high school level. You don't have to tell a group of professional medievalists that restaurants such as Medieval Times are NOT what it was actually like in the Middle Ages (I heard about this paper from one of my colleagues this afternoon).

*People who read/mutter straight off their paper, making no eye contact at all with the audience

*People who do not loving rehearse, leading to:
--fumbling and stumbling through their papers
--papers that run WAY over time -- you've got 20 minutes, be finished in 20 minutes. I had to race through my paper (which had been rehearsed and timed to hit the 20 minute mark) because the numpty ahead of me took 35 minutes
--moderators who are too polite to tell over running speakers to arse-grab some seat

I'm sure there's more, but I got to see all of these in today's panels alone.
Rookie mistakes from grad students are one thing (and their supervisors should have had them better prepared), but I can't imagine what some of these people must be like in the classroom week after week.

If this was late May, I'd be asking you if you happen to be in Kalamazoo, Michigan right now.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OniPanda posted:

Then we go to orientation and register for classes. This is after all current students registered of course. Every class I need to take is already waitlisted, including the gatekeeper course for electrical engineering. They were adamant they would get us in, and we eventually did, but I was freakin out because my school has already been delayed and I want to get this done.

This was me, and in addition, there are two classes I wanted to take. German, for my foreign language requirement (my school requires proficiency to graduate) and Labor Economics, since it is being taught by one of the economists I did my summer internship with. Of course the school offers all four sections of the German 'lab' during the same two hour block on the same days that Labor Econ is held. :shepicide:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This is passive-aggressive as gently caress and I love it

If only the opinion of the professors actually counted for anything. I've heard rumor of professors at my (private) institution being told to gently caress off because of business reasons. For the record, the only sport thing we're particularly good at is Tennis.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

I wish professors would stop trying to inspire us by reading email forwards from the late 90s. I don't know how many times I've had to sit through the one about pouring sand and gold balls into a big jar.

I always thought this was stdh.txt

I'm apparently horribly wrong. :stare:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I can count myself lucky that my worst professor story is a math teacher who means well but can't teach for gently caress all. She's one of those Ph. D's that is brilliant, but she's so far removed from undergraduates that she doesn't really "get" how to explain concepts to people who don't already know what she's talking about. Fine person too. Just a worthless professor.

OniPanda posted:

Yeah, I used to be all "imperial is fine" until I started having to do physics and then further into engineering classes. Now I'm all on the :bandwagon: for using metric for calculations. If you want imperial units, convert after :colbert:

It's almost like it is easier to do math in a measurement system in base 10 than... whatever the gently caress imperial pretends to be. I'm all for intuitive measurements, but I'm at the point in my life that I really just want the math to be simple.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My school's toxic stress culture has systematically destroyed me by exacerbating my mental health problems, which has lead to the near complete destruction of my social circle because I can't actually handle the stress and start to lash out when it kicks in.

On the plus side, it got me a clinical diagnosis and medication.

...but I definitely flunked my probability midterm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

For some inexplicable reason finding out that your teachers and professors are actually human is a profound shock.

When you spend most of your years in the school system as subordinates, with your teachers as authority figures over you, having the power gap close can indeed be a profound shock.

• Locked thread