Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

College complaint: everything centered on "traditional" students and lovely rear end systems with the best (and most expensive) public school in the state. Come on there's more older (as in not fresh out of high school) people going back to school than ever. Everything worked out in the end but this still pissed me off greatly at the time. Applied to uni, had to get my high school transcript, alright fine. See if I can order it online because I no longer live in the same state, all links say you can do it at the county website but going to the county website says you have to contact the school directly. Seems my highschool left the county school system and set up their own municipal school system, and you can't order transcripts online. The school being a bunch of idiots had left every iteration of the websites the made up, I couldn't find anything about a transcript request while looking at 4 different websites ( :psyduck: ) so I call the school. I tell them I need a transcript request form because I no longer live in state and the first thing the person asks me is "why don't you just come in to the school?" I JUST loving SAID I DON'T LIVE IN THE drat STATE ANYMORE WHY WOULD YOU THINK THAT SOMEONE WHO GRADUATED TEN YEARS AGO WOULD STILL LIVE THERE? They point me to the right webpage and form, and I send my transcript request in. Fast forward, uni's system keeps sayin they haven't received my high school transcript. I call the school and I'm never able to get a hold of the person who is in charge of this. My application gets denied because they never received my transcript. Apply again next semester, call the school and ask them what the gently caress, no response given. Send in another transcript request certified mail and tell them I will be on the next plane if it gets hosed up again. Everything goes smoothly this time. My application is accepted hurray! Well now I have to fill out a couple forms and turn in a bunch of paperwork because even though I've lived here for ten years, their system automatically flags anyone who's high school wasn't in state or they've ever gone to another school that wasn't in state. I submit all the things and wait the several months before it's even looked at. Then I'm informed by email that there's a problem, they don't say what the problem is and calling them gets me no answer either as to what the problem is. So I go up there and they tell me their document upload system broke the day I submitted. Give them all the documents they want, and I'm switched to in state. Except this is actually bad it turns out, because while my financial aid stayed "the same," the amount of grant I received was going down but I was approved for a perkins loan! I end up having to pay more money than if I was out of state.

Then we go to orientation and register for classes. This is after all current students registered of course. Every class I need to take is already waitlisted, including the gatekeeper course for electrical engineering. They were adamant they would get us in, and we eventually did, but I was freakin out because my school has already been delayed and I want to get this done :argh:.

Also all the engineering classes I need to take being either at the same time, or at the worst times to make a full time school plus full time work schedule work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

gently caress Pearson, gently caress McGraw-Hill, gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them. Webassign wasn't too bad at all for calc 1-3 though. I mean, I'd rather have not had to pay $150 for a stupid one time use code, but it was good especially compared to the other shite.

My circuits class this semester says old editions of the book are ok, so I started lookin at the usual places and all the old used copies are...$5 less than a brand new copy. Thankfully it's only a mere $125! And of course it's co-written by one of the professors :shepface:.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

speshl guy posted:

Shout out to schools that sell way too many $150 semester-long parking passes so that you'll find an open spot maybe twice if you're lucky.

To get around that, my school won't sell parking passes to freshman and sophomores! Juniors and seniors can buy passes, but can only park in one type of lot. That the higher tiered parking passes can also park in. And there's not enough parking of any type, so loving lol if you show up after 8:30am and expect to get a spot even close to school.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Captain McStabbin posted:

I try to answer questions even if I'm not sure whether they're rhetorical if only because otherwise everyone sits silently and stares at the wall while the professor waits for an answer. That said, I try not to monopolize the discussion since there's obviously other people in the class.

I'm in a 300 level humanities class this semester, and it's pretty brutal for that since there's 4 students including me. It's basically me and one guy doin most the talking. I purposefully don't answer first most the time because I also don't want to monopolize, but it's an awkward silence where you can tell me and the other dude are holdin back and the teacher is starin down the other two.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

an overdue owl posted:

I understand why I might get some pushback on this opinion, because in theory it shouldn't be on the professor to mollycoddle students who are in higher learning, but I have to say - as someone who has been in classes of four or five people on a regular basis, where I am the only student who will speak up, even when I leave LONG awkward silence waiting for one of the others to pipe up, I really wish the professor would just call on one of the others. I know that when you're in higher education it's not supposed to be a classroom situation, but I really dislike monopolizing the conversation. I don't know whether it's because the other people in the class are too shy, or if they haven't done the reading for that particular class, but either way! And honestly, I'm not the guy who answers straight away all the time or thinks they know it all, I will let the awkward silence drag on for as long as humanely possibly because I don't want to feel like I'm talking over people and often my professor will tell me that I'm misguided in my opinions. I'll usually end up saying something I'm unsure of because our professor has already been looking round expectantly at the class for five minutes before I hazard a guess! Since we're all paying so much for higher education nowadays I don't think it's so much to ask to wish professors would be able to corral their classes a little better so the onus wasn't just on the one or two pupils who try to engage.
Thankfully, he does that just start callin on the people who aren't talkin. After a while of a three person conversation with five people in the room, he just goes "Okay we haven't heard from you, what do you think?"

ToxicSlurpee posted:

While we're here, COMMENT YOUR drat CODE.
I know I don't write the cleanest or best code, or near enough comments for that matter, but last semester to recover some points on one project, we had to look over someone else's code and give feedback. Holy hell. How do you even get to a mid level programming class with coding habits that bad? gently caress, one guy showed me his code for a different project for getting a sub matrix and he was trying to use 3 moving pointers in a single while loop :cripes:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Enourmo posted:

none of us know what's going on and the class average is like a 40 or something.
Sounds about right for a thermo class.

Currently not writing a 12 page paper and not studying for 2 electrical engineering finals :shepface:. A couple more days....

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Enourmo posted:

Look man when an important class is on the line I'll use a calculator to verify 5+7.
Seriously. It loving killed me because we couldn't use calculators in signals and systems. We always had a bunch of integrals with no integral table, sorry I don't have all the integrals memorized anymore cause calc was 2 years ago oh and you want me to integration by parts? SURE.

A White Guy posted:

What strange version of english do you speak? When you leave an a s off a possessing noun in english, it means that there are multiple nouns possessing something. As in, 'Rachels' dicks' means multiple Rachels have multiple dicks.
I was never the best student in English class, but I have seriously never heard this. If a non plural non ends in s, you just put the apostrophe, no s.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Random Stranger posted:

I feel like as the only goon in classes for the next few months, I am obligated to complain more to make up for it.

So in about half an hour I have my first physics 2 exam. No problem, I'm prepared and have the material down cold.

The complaint is that we had a lab section today that was dedicated to essentially doing practice test problems. On an abrupt schedule with a complicated class with a lot of material that isn't intuitive, this kind of review is super helpful. So literally the entire class ducked out of it within half an hour. The TA is so disinterested in handling the lab that he didn't care when people said, "Hey, I'm done and leaving," and he even provided the answer key so people who wanted to pretend to actually do their work didn't need to put in any effort. It was myself and my lab partner there after that for about another forty-five minutes after the previous person left working through each problem step-by-step. No one even wanted to play with the big Van Der Graaf generator that was there and ready to fry anyone who got too close.

I am looking forward to their complaints tomorrow about how hard the exam was.

What makes you think you're the only goon still in classes? I just finished one, and the next one starts in two weeks :colbert:. I got a timetable to stay on so I can graduate at a decent time.

Similarly, what few engineering courses Michigan offers in spring/summer are only spring, so a full course in 8 weeks. With the time crunch that comes with that, we ended up havin two exams within two weeks of each other. The prof wasn't happy that almost everyone missed one of the questions on the first exam, so he put the exact same problem on the second but changed one of the variables. I can almost guarantee most people missed the question the second time as well.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Picnic Princess posted:

drat, that's worse than the garbage I've been put through.

I had to set up a direct deposit account with my university because I got a temp job, and saw that I was required to drop a course I didn't have a prerequisite for that I planned to take in September. This course was offered once a year in the winter semester for the last 15 years, but they all of a sudden decided last April that it would be changed to fall. They were going to have the course this fall, skip next year, then offer it again in 2018, because since they offered it twice in one year, they were required to skip it once for some reason. I was lined up to do my practicum in September and October this year, but had to put that off to take that course they switched up so I wouldn't have to take a year off to graduate. Guess what the prerequisite is for the course? The practicum, of course! I e-mailed the department explaining my situation and thankfully a week later they dropped the prereq requirement and I'm still enrolled, but goddamn I was panicking for a while.

I may be in this boat as well. Embedded systems MDE has only been offered in the fall for as far back as I can dig up. I swear to gently caress if they change that in 2017 :doom:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

budgieinspector posted:

Returning to college after dropping out 20 years ago. Speech 101 prof has his syllabus and lectures up on his personal website, rather than one affiliated with the school. Among other choice items on the syllabus, he says that he will not lecture on the material, and will only communicate via e-mail.

This is for a regular, in-person class.

My Speech 101 professor sounds like he's afraid of public speaking.

Or they want to be there even less than you do :v:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

School got rid of another 100 or so commuter parking spaces to start more construction without finishing the spots they already lost over the last year. Spent 15 minutes circling the lot until I found a spot. The lot is over a mile from campus.

While I normally love winter and snow, I dread the snow these days because then I can no longer ride my motorcycle to campus. Free close parking is not something I want to give up. Also gently caress paying for parking. Undergrads can't even get a pass for the halfway decent lots :suicide:.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Welp. The section of technical communications I signed up for back in April with a specific teacher at some point over the summer mysteriously changed instructors to a non-engineer without any warning whatsoever and far to late to change to the other section that had the instructor I wanted to take. And then the semester starts and I go to intro to MEMS to find the professor had made to teach a different class because that professor got tapped for something else, the week before the semester started, and they hadn't finalized a new professor yet. Again, I took this class because a specific instructor was teaching it. Thanks Michigan.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Random Stranger posted:

On Friday I had a midterm to take in fifty minutes. I knew the material pretty well so I was confident going in. At the bottom of page two I looked at the clock and there was half an hour left. At that point I had to go, "Okay, this test is going to be a classwide disaster. That means a heavy curve and that means I need to go for raw points." And that kicked off a half hour blitz of high value questions I felt I could do quickly, abandoning questions when I knew I had made an error because losing a few points there was better than no points elsewhere, and scribbling faster than my brain could work. I doubt I'm going to get more than 60% on the exam graded straight, but I'm hoping that the midterm massacre is going lead to a curve that gives me a mid range B.

Similarly, question on my midterm last week that was the same concept as what we'd done but on steroids. They gave a hint on how to solve it, but at no point in class did that hint ever come up so it was useless. Just said gently caress this question and used the last 5 minutes to salvage some points on it

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Glasgow Kiss posted:

Whole else is writing papers today while eating turkey?

And sobbing. Forever.

Beats retail though!
Projects, homeworks, and last midterm were before the break. Next set of homeworks isn't due for 2 weeks and projects are due at the end of the semester, so I chilled today :coal:

Back to work tomorrow though, and sobbing forever

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I actually had a professor (incidentally she was absolutely one of the best that I had), on every test, drop a question or two entirely from grading on every test if enough people got them wrong. Apparently she experimented a lot and rewrote the tests every semester. If like 75% of students missed a question she decided it was a bad question and threw it out. There were a few other times in other classes that a professor was like "I made a mistake have some free points." I've never, ever seen a professor go the route described above. If the professor hosed up it's on the professor to give the student the benefit of the doubt.
One of my professors did similar this semester. Test ended up being longer than they planned, so they knocked 10 points off the scale. There was one question that involved something we went over in class, but was waaaaaaay more difficult than could be done quickly with what we learned. There was a hint about how to do the problem, but that hint involved stuff we never went over.

Andohz posted:

Jesus, our exams are scheduled months in advance by the scheduling people, not the course examiner.
Ours are too, but the teachers still have some ways to get them rescheduled since there's always conflicts somewhere. The joy this semester was people complained about eecs370 conflicting with their other classes, so eecs370 reschedule their exam....to the exact same time as eecs270, one of my other classes. I might have mentioned this at the start of the semester, but I'm double pissed because they changed an exam time that didn't conflict for me to one that did, then had the audacity to say that I should work it out with my other class. I did my very best to not email in "Look mother fuckers."

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Differential RLC, or resistive networks? For the former just do the laplace, and then for the later and the former as well methodically use the whosawhatsit laws for current and voltage to determine whats going where. Like, this particular loop has -5V+10ΩI+20ΩI+s10^-9I = 0 or something like that (I haven't used a laplace or this knowledge in almost 3 years, so I'm probably doing something incorrect) You do this for how many independent loops there are and solve the system. Wah-lah!

so, like, $5=(10+20+10^{-9}s)I$ and $I=\frac{5}{30+10^-9s}$ which the laplace of is something I forgot... I wanna say an exponential of some kind?

(God, I would love if the forums has the option to run latex...)

E: yeah, $I=5B*e^{-30Bt}$

I did this a year ago, and I still couldn't do it without staring at my book for an hour. But just for the circuit part, laplace is easy and owns bones. This also isn't what Fatal Error is talking about, that's not basic analysis :jerkbag:

Even though it takes a bit longer to set up, I love LaTex

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Huh? Loop and node equations are most definitely part of basic circuit analysis... Laplace is a tad higher level, and im kinda pissed that i learned it first in my ENA class as "ok just replace d with s and d squared with 2s" rather than in my signals class as an extension of fourier...

Loop and node are basic. Laplace and phasor are not.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Random Stranger posted:

Oh, and apparently he's decided to teach the course in Imperial units because thermodynamics wasn't considered difficult enough.

What the gently caress

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Random Stranger posted:

I know! And I'm not even a "metric is the only system that shall ever be used!" kind of guy. A lot of human measurements don't fit nicely in powers of ten so why not have people use comfortable measurements for those purposes. But science and engineering? For gently caress's sake, standard units exist to make those fields more coherent!

On the plus side, he's walked back the "current edition" stuff so I can just buy a $3 book for the tables we're going to use.

Yeah, I used to be all "imperial is fine" until I started having to do physics and then further into engineering classes. Now I'm all on the :bandwagon: for using metric for calculations. If you want imperial units, convert after :colbert:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Warmachine posted:

...but I definitely flunked my probability midterm.

I'm dreading getting back my semiconductor devices midterm. 5 multipart questions, answer 3. Every single question had a part that I was completely blank on how to answer and we only had 80 minutes to do it

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Nicaden posted:

How the hell people like that get into a $40,000 college with actual standards, I will never know.

I ask this question a lot. I go to the University of Michigan, a school with (ostensibly) high standards, and there's still so many people that make me question how they get out of bed without killing themselves. In almost every class, there has been that guy who asks a question where the answer is literally on the slide currently being displayed, or asks what something is when the teacher just explained it, or something so basic that it makes me headdesk. Got a guy on our research project that was tasked with writing code for an ADC (analog to digital converter) who very clearly doesn't understand how they work, and doesn't appear capable of understanding his lack of understanding or remedying it. He has hosed up literally every task he's been given. I sit there and :psyduck: every single day

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Random Stranger posted:

Unless I get really lucky, I'm going to have at least two days a week where I get to school at 7am and leave after 8pm. :negative:

Hi, this half the days of my week, every week :coffeepal:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

ToxicSlurpee posted:

For some inexplicable reason finding out that your teachers and professors are actually human is a profound shock.

It's not always a shock cause you found out they're human, sometimes cause you're profoundly weirded out. One time while I was at work (grocery store), one of my teachers came in. I thought it was pretty obvious from class I disliked him, but he was bein super chummy. The weird part was that he was wearing loving super tight bicycle shorts.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

So in my microprocessor system design class, so much poo poo has been incredibly slap-dash and/or last minute. We had to give a 5 minute talk about a topic related to embedded systems, alright that's fine, but at no point did we ever get any instructions on what to do. No format, not grading rubric, no information other than "5 minute talk with slides." Now we just got an assignment to make a poster for our projects, that's due 3 days after it was assigned, when we're all frantically trying to get our projects to just work. Then we're told we won't get reimbursed for the cost of printing it, even though it's a required part of project. :vd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Random Stranger posted:

Thermo continues to provide the fun. On a test I took Friday, one person completed the exam before time was called. It was three questions long and I had just started the proper work on the third problem when it ended. The class average was 61, I got a 57 since I got 0/35 points on that last problem. Personally, I think I should have gotten some points on that last problem since I had derived some properties before it was over and wrote down a path to follow to solve it, but I'm not arguing over it since even with a wild curve I'm not saving this grade. The final will replace the lowest exam grade (and the class only has exam grades because it's a terrible, terrible class). What a poo poo show.

But wait, there's more! Four classes, so four finals. A whole week to take them in, right? Which is why my finals are Monday 3 to 5, Monday 5:15 to 7:15, Thursday 8 to 10, Thursday 10:15 to 12:15. :smithicide:

Better than the thermo class my friend took. He said the class average was in the 30s. I stayed the gently caress away from thermo.

Related to not arguing, got my grade for the project class, B+. One of my project partners was given a B-, which he thought didn't seem right because our grades were pretty close, emailed the teacher, got changed to an A-. My other partner had a B, which got changed to a C+. I very much feel I should have gotten an A-, but like gently caress am I gonna complain now, because they could change my grade to anything.

• Locked thread