Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Cage posted:

Lady calls the library.

"My son has a hold on his account, I would like some details"
Sorry but I can't give out personal information to anyone but the individual.
"Well my names on the account, I pay for his tuition and blah blah blah"
"Im sorry miss but you'll have to have your son call us back for that information.
"Well what if I just call back and pretend to be my son you'll give it to me then?"

Then hangs up. 5 minutes later she calls back "I have a hold on my account and I dont know why" while barely lowering her voice. I asked for "his" ID # and after she gave it to me I told her I recognized her voice still and put a note in her sons record "Mother keeps calling claiming to be him"

How busy do you think we are on a friday when school isn't in session? I'll be the only one answering the phone til we close, lady. :getin:

Not to make light of your situation, but this is hilarious. It's something out of a cartoon; like why would she ever think this was a good idea and would work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Cause usually the person on the phone doesn't give a poo poo and just wants the barest semblance of legitimacy so they don't get in trouble.

My dad used to do this exact thing for me all the time with no problems.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Cool people dont care about thejr jobs. If you care about your job, thats a major fail dude. You just lost a ton of e-cred for that post.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Cage posted:

Lady calls the library.

Helicopter parents demoralized me. A dad walk up during open house ask what residence is the best for his son (who is ofc standing behind him instead of asking me himself). I explain there's a residence across the street from the university that is $1 300 cheaper, has fully furnished individual rooms, living room and kitchen, great community, etc. When I mention you also can avoid the enormous cost of a meal plan, he just goes "oh he can't cook haha that one won't do". God forbid your child learns how to cook eggs and bacon for his big boy self.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I'm really not surprised. I've had parents badger the poo poo out of me to get their senior through my class with good enough grades to get into a 4-year university. Are they sure they even want to invest in that when their kid can't even be bothered to write three paragraphs about their loving lab and can't keep off the phone for more than five minutes at a time? Do they really think college is going to work for this kid? What I needed from the parent wasn't questions about extra credit or what the kid could do to fix a grade on an assignment. What I needed was for them to take the loving phone and car and video games and family cruises away from the kid. There's only so much I can do with confiscating cell phones, by the way, it's not like I don't try.

Kids used to be out on their own commonly by 18. I realize partially the economy is to blame. I myself didn't leave until my later 20s. However at least I was an adult in every other way far before I even went to college. I hope these parents enjoy being burdened with 20 year old infants.

At least most people aren't like this, but it's an annoying trend.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Vic Boss posted:

Hahaha oh god I didn't know that was common.

Warmachine posted:

I always thought this was stdh.txt

I'm apparently horribly wrong. :stare:

I heard this so many goddamn times as an undergrad, usually right before that dumb-as-heck stdh.txt story about the experiment where monkeys got squirted with water when they reached for a banana. Glad to see that no matter how much change the world sees, some things will always stay the same :toot:

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 19:34 on Jan 11, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The textbook for one of my classes this semester is back-ordered, and won't be in for three weeks. The prof wants us to give chapter presentations starting next week and running all through the semester, so he convinced the school library to grant every student free access to the e-book version. Until the hard copies come in, then we lose access to the e-book and are expected to buy the book.

I'm screen-shotting my chapter right now.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Semester starting again and I get to enter a mandatory design competition because over the past year, nobody in the college wanted to bother entering. Now it's being condensed into a one week design/build group project including some senior architects. This won't be awful at all.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
I have no complaints this semester other than "optional" weekend trips that are totally not optional if you want to have a good grade in the class.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So apparently the college I went to eliminated parking pay stations.

And replaced them with $3 a day day passes.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Jesus I didn't know about golf-ball-jar-life.txt and I just read it and :barf:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So apparently the college I went to eliminated parking pay stations.

And replaced them with $3 a day day passes.

Are you complaining? That is insanely cheap compared to what we have around here.

Envision
Dec 17, 2006
I would have loved $3 a day instead of however much I wound up paying just to use the parking garage.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Shout out to schools that sell way too many $150 semester-long parking passes so that you'll find an open spot maybe twice if you're lucky.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Well gently caress, I pay over $500 a year for a parking pass so I can park 10-15 mins away from my classes.

$3 an hour if I want to park almost anywhere closer on campus, it's double that if you want to park in the parkade.

And the usual of barely any pay parking, terrible people, and parking nazi's who managed to give out a ticket for an undisplayed pass when it's clearly visible in the photo they took when writing the ticket.

Oh, and they upgraded the ticket machines so that you have to punch in your license plate so that students wouldn't give out their unexpired tickets when they had extra time left.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

$150 bucks to park anywhere near campus and :lol: at trying to park anywhere that isn't at least a half to a full mile away. I'm glad I live in the same town as my college, my life is waaaay easier even if I'm broke as gently caress from rent.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

The textbook for one of my classes this semester is back-ordered, and won't be in for three weeks. The prof wants us to give chapter presentations starting next week and running all through the semester, so he convinced the school library to grant every student free access to the e-book version. Until the hard copies come in, then we lose access to the e-book and are expected to buy the book.

I'm screen-shotting my chapter right now.

Could be worse. I was told what the textbook for one of my classes would be on Monday (a national holiday here, for readers outside the US), placed an order that day, got into class on Tuesday to be told that we'd be tested on our initial reading first thing on Thursday.

At least in the other class they pulled this on, the textbook is in the library. I read the first week's material today just to get on track.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Random Stranger posted:

Could be worse. I was told what the textbook for one of my classes would be on Monday (a national holiday here, for readers outside the US), placed an order that day, got into class on Tuesday to be told that we'd be tested on our initial reading first thing on Thursday.

At least in the other class they pulled this on, the textbook is in the library. I read the first week's material today just to get on track.

Can't you drop or add classes within the first week? Quizzing or doing anything at all graded the first week just seems insane. I don't think I ever saw a professor actually do that because there'd often be a person picking up the class a week and a half in or those people whose books were inexplicably stuck in Nebraska for a month.

Granted we also had professors that specifically told us "our bookstore sucks buy your poo poo on Amazon" so maybe I just got lucky.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Not to make light of your situation, but this is hilarious. It's something out of a cartoon; like why would she ever think this was a good idea and would work?

You'd be surprised. I did IT for the campus help desk, and only the account holder could reset their PIN, blah blah blah. Some parents did not like this in the slightest.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

speshl guy posted:

Shout out to schools that sell way too many $150 semester-long parking passes so that you'll find an open spot maybe twice if you're lucky.

Hahaha, I'm paying $400 a semester for parking in campus housing. Because four grand a semester for one bedroom of a four bedroom apartment isn't gouging us enough.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

It amazes me, every day, that people have literally spent decades of their life in college, both learning and teaching, can not figure out something so completely loving simple as pasting a url into a power point presentation. I watched a professor struggle to fail to copy a url to a CNN video into chrome (in the middle of their lecture, of course). Jesus tapdancing christ.

Even better yet, every lecture presentation is giant block of text so the entire class ignores the professors to scribble in their notes. :cripes:.

A Festivus Miracle has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Jan 23, 2016

claptrap
Sep 30, 2008

I work at an extension campus which is small enough to not need parking permits. I have to travel to main campus about once a month (a 2 hour drive each way). The main campus parking office will not issue staff members temporary visitors permits because of whatever stupid university rule.
If the university had its way, I would end up paying about $30/day just for the privilege of not having to walk a mile to attend whatever bullshit mandatory meeting. In practice, I just lie and pretend to be a prospective grad student every time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A White Guy posted:

Even better yet, every lecture presentation is giant block of text so the entire class ignores the professors to scribble in their notes. :cripes:.

Powerpoints with too much text on them are very dumb in general. It takes attention away from the speaker and puts it on the screen, and usually when a powerpoint is full of text, all they do is read it out loud anyway. It should complement the presentation, not be the presentation.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Speaking of college complaints, I hate how people are expected to act like adults while in college, yet much of financial aid is predicated on getting help from your parents with ParentPlus loans or otherwise until you're 24. I mean, even the CollegeBoard website even recommends begging your parents for help if for whatever reason they don't to want to or can't help you since it's considered partly their responsibility as well.

Either allow college students to fully pay for college on their own or make it fully explicit that parents are supposed to be responsible for you throughout college as extended high school, don't try and split the difference half way, for gently caress's sake. There's enough issues with helicopter parents as it is, don't make it worse by muddling the financial waters.

Smash capitalism, provide for free college tuition, vote Bernie Sanders, etc. Just make it so purported adults can afford college on their own without HAVING to rely on family for financial help or else get into massive, life-crippling amounts of debt. Jesus.

As if we need further evidence that contemporary America is dependent on financial aristocracy.

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Jan 24, 2016

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012
As a CW major in a college for creative students, I'vet had the pleasure of having to deal with idiot classmates. I could tell you quite a few stories about my Biology class from last year. Let's just say the class had the largest concentration of "special" students.

Highlights include:

One guy next to me in the front row who only showed up like once a month and if he did, usually spent his time texting. I repeat, this was in the front row, in full view of the professor and he simply didn't give a gently caress even when asked to put it away.

My classroom is in Chicago and the NFL draft was going on less than 2 blocks from my dorm. Half the class actually asked the professor if the Draft qualified as an emergency so they could leave, mid-lecture. This was said with full sincerity. Needless to say, he wasn't happy.

End of the year presentations, we had to do a presentation related to biology but it could be anything as long it was related to nature. One guy did a 3 slide PowerPoint that was just pictures and one sentence. The presentation: his dog eating a sock and getting surgery. Time: 2:30 minutes in a minimum limit of 5-10 minutes required.

Oh yeah, the guy next to me literally typed up his presentation from scratch during the last hour of class. The presentation: Quantum Theory and it literally was 4 slides of nothing but text and mathematical formulas on a white background. The professor had stressed that the presentations had to be about nature and the world in general abd what I saw sure as hell didn't qualify. Oh yeah the presentation was even shorter, and about a minute and half long. :bravo:

The best part about that was he was reminding us about the project for over 2 months so there's no excuse for forgetting at all. While I was packing my things at the end of class, I could hear my professor having to explain to the guy in front that he failed the class.

It's a shame because he was a great professor who really knew his subject and would bring in actual animal samples for us to examine and had us all do an experiment together at the end of the class. Why is that the best professors always seem to attract the worst students in every class I go to?

Nicaden has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Jan 24, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Probably because their reputation makes them more attractive as an educator, so more people in general register for their class, including lazy students who think they can get an easy A by coasting through.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Nicaden posted:

My classroom is in Chicago and the NFL draft was going on less than 2 blocks from my dorm. Half the class actually asked the professor if the Draft qualified as an emergency so they could leave, mid-lecture. This was said with full sincerity. Needless to say, he wasn't happy.

You should always have the option of not going to class. I don't know why you'd ask the teacher though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ChaosArgate posted:

Probably because their reputation makes them more attractive as an educator, so more people in general register for their class, including lazy students who think they can get an easy A by coasting through.

It's this. One of my favorite professors has been becoming increasingly popular because, well, he's incredible and because you can pad your GPA with his class easily. He is, in fact, an easy A but only if you put the hours in. You can guarantee an A in his class by putting forth the effort and demonstrate that you're actively trying to learn the stuff. It's an art class so the grading is kind of nebulous but still; he mostly grades on effort.

Then you get a poo poo load of people that think "lol easy A," don't put in the effort, and get lovely grades. He will fail people who deserve it and not even feel bad about it.

I've had professors in other areas that were similar. They were fantastic and if you put in the hours it wasn't too difficult to get an A but if you didn't put in effort you'd do poorly. Why so many students completely slack in college is a mystery to me, though.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
As a college slacker, I can say that people slack because you can. A lot of people have been slacking since highschool, and these guys come in without actually having ever been challenged by their schoolwork and they simply don't know what to do. That's the issue with secondary education, they have to design it for the lowest common denominatior, people who aren't going to even be conttinuing their education anyways.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

This prof who was going to make us buy our textbook after giving us free access for several weeks while it was backordered decided last Monday to assign groups, and have each group read a chapter and present it to the class so no one would have to buy the book. Cool. Except this is NOT a foundation textbook. It's a level way beyond that, it was a terrible choice for a first year class for people with zero history in the subject matter, which is symbolic architecture. No one understands this book. The writing is also so convoluted and random, I have to wonder if the author just jumbled up his notes in a pile then wrote according to what order he picked them up. It's not a book that teaches people anything, you have to already be well-versed in it. This is a book for architecture enthusiasts.

And now, 14 hours before presentations are due, no one has contributed anything because they're all first years who have no idea how to interpret the material. I took a few art history courses in the past and can conceptualize some of the reading, but I don't have enough background to fully understand what's being said. I hate this and I'm just randomly pulling points that might have context to the diagrams and leaving it at that. I doubt any other group could do any better. My group members can just read off the slides and I'll just stand there pressing the right arrow button. I honestly can't even be mad at them, considering what we're expected to work with.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

speshl guy posted:

To get around that, my school won't sell parking passes to freshman and sophomores! Juniors and seniors can buy passes, but can only park in one type of lot. That the higher tiered parking passes can also park in. And there's not enough parking of any type, so loving lol if you show up after 8:30am and expect to get a spot even close to school.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anytime one of my professors has a comic (calvin & hobbes etc) on a syllabus or powerpoint, they almost always have to read it out loud :cripes:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I usually find Dilbert is the most common.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
In one of my intro to Philosophy classes I took for a prerequisite back in Community College, one of my Professors used a Captain America panel to explain solipsism. That was pretty clever.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What is it with indian people and having horrid hallway etiquette? I swear every day I bump into like 4 indian people on my way to class who are just walking around with no idea whats in front of them. This girl smashed into my shoulder today and fell down speedwalking out of a class with her head turned almost 180 degrees around.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

What is it with indian people and having horrid hallway etiquette? I swear every day I bump into like 4 indian people on my way to class who are just walking around with no idea whats in front of them. This girl smashed into my shoulder today and fell down speedwalking out of a class with her head turned almost 180 degrees around.

Or the clusters of Chinese exchange students, of whom there are about 20, who happen to all be walking together at a shuffle right through the main quad.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

A White Guy posted:

Or the clusters of Chinese exchange students, of whom there are about 20, who happen to all be walking together at a shuffle right through the main quad.

If theyre even walking, youre lucky. Often people will just stand, often right in the doorway to a classroom that just ended class preventing anyone from getting in. In situations like these I just put the elbows up and ram, no shame. If you didnt want to lose your drink dont blatantly stand in the only door to a lecture hall thats starting class in 5 minutes.

Insult Comic Barbie
Apr 21, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

College students in general have poo poo notions of other people's personal space. I shared classes with people who'd take their shoes off and stick their feet on the back of my chair, dirty toes inches from my face. And they acted genuinely surprised that I noticed this and asked them to move their feet. These are usually the same people who cross the street without looking and get angry when cars have to slam on the brakes to avoid them. And the ones who like to walk four abreast on the sidewalk between classes.

You probably just notice the Indian ones because of confirmation bias.

Edit: the worst offenders in my experience are white women.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
No, there are a lot of indian exchange students at my school. What are you getting out of condescending language like that?

Insult Comic Barbie
Apr 21, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

No, there are a lot of indian exchange students at my school. What are you getting out of condescending language like that?

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as condescending. I personally notice mostly white people doing that kind of thing - I don't know where you go to school, guess I'm oversensitive to foreign students being stereotyped as rude or strange because it's just not been my experience at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
"What is it with Indian people doing x worse than others?"

• Locked thread