Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Does completing a story mode dungeon unlock that pvp track account wide? Actually, does story mode work like that in general? The wiki isn't super clear and I'm not sure I've ever done one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Mosthated posted:

The EU Tournament of Legends is up

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

At least someone is dressed appropriately.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

I honestly have no idea what just happened.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Turncoat Mommy posted:

Some of those builds look wrong. Like there's doom on those eng builds and PU is a really bad spvp build.

What's wrong with doom?

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

OzFactor posted:

When you're just starting out, you want to practice "flashing" in and out of DS to take some damage and fire off your 4 and 5 (Life Transfer and Tainted Shackles). With a dagger, run in and stab a couple different dudes to get them to swarm you, then flash in, use 5, then 4, then get out and stab them until they die. Even better, round them up with some stabbing and drop a Well of Suffering before you flash in. Start to get a feel for how long the cooldowns on your DS skills are, since you don't get to see them count down. With the main-hand dagger, you'll always have life force to flash in every 10 seconds, but unless you're doing it to take a hit or to use 4 or 5, you're much better off stabbing.

When your adept traits come in you can increase the value of flashing in and out of DS, giving you boons (Spite V) and weakening and bleeding (Curses IV) everything around you. There's not much use in spending any more time in DS than it takes to fire off Tainted Shackles and Life Transfer, at least not in low-level PvE.

I think the main take away from this is never be fighting just one thing. You might die occasionally, but it's better then dying of boredom (and it will definitely force you to use DS more).

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Hobo Siege posted:

Query: After you hit cap, what drives you to continue playing the game? What goals do you set for yourself?

Esports on level 2 alts forever.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Is Arah story mode bad too, or just the explorable paths? I want to unlock the reward track, but not if it's going to be a horrible pain in the rear end.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Well, that sounds doable. I can probably slog through it if it means I never have to set foot in there again.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

If you enjoy trying to do a dungeon as fast as humanly possible, that's totally fine. However, if you're doing it because you're so bored with dungeons that you want them to be over as quickly as possible, maybe just do something else. There's a ton of fun things to do in this game.

Until this weekend I hadn't done an explorable mode dungeon since probably around launch (mostly because I remember them being awful). We actually did that spider boss in AC and it was a little messy but I don't think we ever came close to wiping. It would be cool if they gave buffs a bigger range though, at least in dungeons.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Fffffff. I'm terrible at these things, even with guides. That one with the disappearing pads gives me the drat sweats.

I've still only finished the obsidian sanctum puzzle once. I leave every WvWednesday filled with shame.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

I assume if you craft an ascended weapon you get to pick the skin color? Some of them look pretty cool, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.
I got one from esportsing, but it was some fuckugly green color with healing power (I think) so it's just sitting in my bank.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Forgall posted:

Color depends on stat set. So if you don't like the color for stats you want, you have to craft two weapons and then transmute skin.

I really only care about the skins. If the stats happen to be good, that's a bonus. I guess I'll see how much of a pain in the rear end it is. I've got all these pink mats cluttering up my bank anyway.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

I thought all the ascended materials were account bound.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

The best worst thing about this game is how easy it is to switch classes. I'm never going to get a champion anything title.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

daspope posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt You don't want to miss this!

What the hell am I looking at here?

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Raged posted:

Is there such a thing as a good turret build for sPvP for engineers? I imagine spamming turrets would piss people of and that interests me.

I've seen a few people running with them lately. They can be kind of annoying to deal with, but I don't think it's worth making a build around.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Alright, you monster. This is actually really annoying.
I parked the turrets at our home node and not only did nobody ever take it, but they killed someone while I was grabbing the mid buff.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Literally selling piles of dirt. Game is dead.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you ignore crafting you should still do cooking. It's incredibly easy and cheap to level up and food rules, not just because it's food and I'm Arus but it's also really powerful and helpful ingame.

Most food is cheap enough that it never seems worth it to make it myself. This is also true of my real life though, so take that with a grain of salt I guess.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sounds like us, SBI borderlands and eastern keep, except:

-there were more than 10 of them
-they downed like <5 of us, not "quite a bit"
-we had 5 normal trebs

I used my kite when I got downed and they stopped attacking me. Very e-honorable.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

daspope posted:

They're pretty interesting in PvP but dull as poo poo in PvE.

This is true for every class though.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

^^ Basically that.

Batham posted:

I personally disagree. I find my Guardian, Thief and Engineer far more enjoyable to play in PvE than I do my Warrior and Mesmer. Sure, you can still choose to take more dull/passive builds, like Hammer Guardian, but otherwise I'd disagree. I'd say it's all down to taste to some degree, of course.

The problem is that I find PvE in general really uninteresting, which is largely a matter of encounter design. They could make things more fun by giving bosses interesting boons to steal, or interesting conditions. They could make fights where slows / interrupts are important. Every class has some utility and interesting mechanics, which largely seem to go unused. Admittedly I haven't done that many dungeons, but from what I can tell damage and boon production are really the only things that matter.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Bone posted:

Sorry if I missed it being posted, but what is the Ham Conjurer build? I'm trying to level my Ele and want something interesting to try.

The ham is lightning hammer. From what I understand you just auto attack, which isn't very interesting.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Best class just got better.

Can I get a link to the stream? I'm not seeing it.

e: I guess it's over now.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Skill fact update: 30% chance on hit for sword to get stuck in sheath.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

I think playing a lot if engineer has ruined my chances of ever enjoying elementalist. The attunement cooldowns are just so annoying after being able to swap kits at will. It's especially noticeable with staff where, for whatever reason, you have to put down your blast finisher first.

Is there a balance reason for having those cooldowns? I remember engineer kits having cooldowns at some point (maybe beta), and they seem ok even with a lot of people running triple kit builds these days.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Attention PvP nerds: SFD's Z team needs two more members for the Tournament of Glorious Mist Legends (or whatever they're calling it). Absolutely no experience required. If you're interested, PM me or post in the other thread. I need your account name and an email address. Thanks!

Also, those Mesmer changes look rad. Rip elementalists.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Hefty posted:

Attention PvP nerds: SFD's Z team needs two more members for the Tournament of Glorious Mist Legends (or whatever they're calling it). Absolutely no experience required. If you're interested, PM me or post in the other thread. I need your account name and an email address. Thanks!

One more warm body brave soul and we'll have an actual real team.

dkj posted:

Whats the GW2 equivalent of WoW's Arena Junkies?

Had a necro from launch but after playing it again I really don't enjoy it. Want to watch some spvp vids to see what I might like.

Here's a giant list of streams:
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/events/Spvp-Streams

There's also this, which doesn't tell you anything about how to play the builds, but is fine if you just want a build that will probably work to start off with.
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Category:All_Conquest_Builds

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

I've deleted all my characters from launch because I'm an idiot and now I'm super sad.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Baron Snow posted:

Any Dentists that want to be represented in my contest entry should PM me a screen shot of their character.

I would like to be represented. Here's an in game shot of my character.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Illuyankas posted:

Also I wish guardian focus 5 made it clearer when the blast finisher actually happens, cause I spent ages thinking it only happened if the bubble exploded.

Holy poo poo.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

dodging is hard and i hate it.

Run dungeons with SFD and we'll make you feel overwhelmingly adequate by comparison.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

I've got a weird bug with scepter auto-attack. When you cast Ether Clone with two illusions already out, they Mind Wrack (without pressing F1 or putting it on cooldown).

e: also, scepter skills all still feel clunky as hell.

Hefty fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 10, 2014

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

The Machinima Man posted:

Woke up this morning and checked to see what's on Reddit, and you'd think ArenaNet developers spent the night making GBS threads on characters under level 40.

The only level gated thing that pisses me off is you can't get head/shoulder slot armor until level 10+. How am I supposed to dress up my level 1 PvP alts?

Related: give us saved builds already so I don't have to keep making level 1 alts.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Illuyankas posted:

Engineering friends, are there any traits to avoid when traiting for flamethrower that aren't immediately obvious? Also, is there any way I can stick stun break and condition removal together via a single utility (toolbelt skill or otherwise) or am I going to have to give up bomb kit or grenades to go stun break cond removal flamethrower like the scrub I am? Doesn't matter if they don't fit on the same trait layout, I can compromise if I have to.

The only valid engineer heal has condition removal already. When I run bombs/toolkit/flamethrower I use the aoe blind on flamethrower 5 instead of a stun break. It's not ideal, but it can save you if you use it fast enough. Also good for stomping if smoke bomb is on cooldown.

Kessel posted:

- Elixir gun is a stun break (toolbelt) and a condi clear (5).

As far as I know super elixir doesn't remove conditions anymore. That said, you're still better off running elixir gun instead of either bombs or grenades.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Lonk is my hero.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

ItBurns posted:

Flamethrower was buffed but it's still bad as an auto-attack weapon.

Nope. It looks cool and is therefore good.

Seriously though, if you're spending a lot of time just auto-attacking with any weapon as an engie you're either playing a really boring build, or you're doing it wrong.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

I guess you guys missed the second part of the post where I agreed?

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Kazoo posted:

Use Phantasmal Defender, it's highly underrated but it works great as a free damage sponge. It cuts all party damage in half until it dies.

Whoa, really? Man, the tooltips in this game are so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

How much extra damage do you get from playing on a CRT monitor?

• Locked thread