Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
My personal take on the "Mob of Zombie Pigmen" is that Lydon would force spawn them on some poor player's world and overrun it. Seems like a pretty rear end in a top hat thing he would do. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Really enjoyed this episode. I used to not give a drat about Simmons, but these last two episodes have started to make her my favorite character. Also, it's nice to see May show why she's called The Cavalry. That was a pretty clever and brutal use of jet-wash. As for references, I just noticed on re-watch that when the team first gets to the Hub, one of the directional signs points to the HAMMER Division.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 14, 2013

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Speaking of May's nickname, I do wonder if the reason she doesn't like being called the "Cavalry" is because it's supposed to be "Calvary." It refers to where Jesus was crucified, which makes me think that her botched encounter with the fanatical religious group had something to do with that, but it could also be defined as "an experience or occasion of extreme suffering, especially mental suffering." (From Dictionary.com) It's probably a stretch, but that alternate definition really fits her.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

That was actually one of the best gags the show has come up with, especially when Coulson does that choked little whine when they blow up his spy watch.

I also love Coulson's arm folding whenever there's a door breach. I can imagine him instructing a SHIELD strike force and going, "Okay, when you set the charge, just turn around and fold your arms like so..."

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I thought it was interesting to see the parallel between the end of the episode and the beginning of the pilot with Mike running off to save someone. I think he even says "Take care of my boy!" both times. I'm inclined to think he survived since the pilot has him jumping out of an explosion, and I'm guessing it's going to be some kind of similar situation now. But if he didn't...he really should have listened to Coulson's advice. :(

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Really enjoyed this episode, but it's killing me that they're taking another break. Was it ever mentioned if you could possibly overdose on dendrotoxin? If so, then Fitz double-tapping is pretty loving stone-cold. :stare: But like it was mentioned before, it's standard Metal Gear Solid strategy. Also Ward going Chow Yun Fat at the end of the episode was pretty great.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 5, 2014

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

This. Remember earlier in the episode. Ward felt the mission was getting too personal for Coulson, and then he saw Coulson's reaction to Skye. Ward is worrying that Coulson is losing it, which he probably feels is a "very bad thing".

That actually makes me re-think Ward's line at the end, when he says he doesn't blame himself. I originally thought he was hinting that he was blaming Skye for getting in over her head, but now I'm thinking he's blaming Coulson for encouraging Skye to take a risk. At the beginning of the episode Ward did note that Coulson had sent Skye on a "warpath."

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Really enjoyed this episode, barring Ward being dumb for not shooting Lorelei on sight. I did find it neat that Lorelei called back to the Berserker Staff when she said why she kept him around, though. The fight scene at the end was awesome, and I like how the combat in Agents of SHIELD is very brutal and dirty as compared to the movies where the fighting is more super hero-y, for lack of a better term.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Grinning Goblin posted:

If you really want to see some good fight scenes, you should honestly try to watch The Raid: Redemption. I'm pretty sure that youtube will even just show the fight scenes if that is all you want to see of it.

Oh yeah, I love The Raid. AoS is obviously not on the same level, but some of the stuff Ward and May do give that sort of vibe.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Finally caught up with the thread, and I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought the last episode was awesome. With Ward supposedly having genuine feelings for Skye, I wonder if he's going to end up with a "gently caress everyone" attitude. He realizes that both HYDRA and the now remnants of SHIELD are going to exploit her, and he'll go to whatever lengths to protect her, even if it's to her horror. It would make for a neat, messed up parallel to the situation with Skye's ex. Also, the Winter Soldier reveals makes Simmon's shooting of Sitwell even funnier, and further proves why she's the best. :colbert:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

Maybe she shot him because they were both Hydra and she knew she could get away with it!

Yeah, that line about lying was really weird, but I'm not ready to call her HYDRA just yet. My one theory is that she lied to Trip about the blood tests "hitting a roadblock." I think she hit a breakthrough, but for whatever reasons she wants to keep it to herself. Maybe that means she's saving it for HYDRA, but maybe not!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Is there any speculation on the identity of the guy that stopped to look at Garrett when he says "Follow your dreams"? I'm not that familiar with Marvel villains and I can't think of any dream-based villains.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

mikeraskol posted:

Spoiler for next episode here, though it has been revealed in various news articles: Blackout, though his powers are a little different than the comics.

Follow your dreams didn't have any hidden meaning or anything, just Garrett being a flippant smart-rear end as he lets a bunch of bad guys loose.

Thanks! And what a glorious smart-rear end he is. :allears:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

The faux comic book cover for next episode is pretty cool. Putting it in spoiler tags just to be safe. If tags aren't necessary, I'll remove them.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 18, 2014

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Hand of the King posted:

Who is that supposed to be on the right?

The Cellist. Coulson's old flame that was brought up in the movies (or was it just Avengers?).

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

What was Ward taking out of his finger after the interrogation? A paperclip? I'm guessing to block the readings from that finger sensor?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

On a random observational note, when Audrey mentions that she and Coulson had plans to go up the coast when she received the phone call when he died, I like to think Tony Stark secretly arranged those plans during The Avengers, and was going to surprise Coulson with them. :smith:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Andrew Verse posted:

Tony didn't even know Coulson's first name.

That wouldn't stop him. :colbert: He is fully aware about Coulson and Audrey's relationship in Avengers. In one scene he walks in with Phil encouraging him to keep in contact with her.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Whatever Simmons' situation is, I hope it doesn't end up with her betraying the group. I thought I would loathe the character at the beginning of the series, but she's become one of my favorites since "Fzzzt." And if may be just me, but I didn't mind Fitz's freak out. The guy that clings dearly to the constant of his comfort zone found out one of his friends, one who actually worked closely with him and who he just talked to, murdered a dude and kidnapped a person he cares about. I don't find it far fetched that would mess him up pretty bad.

EDIT: Also Skye's "Hail Hydra" was pretty great.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 1, 2014

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Dexo posted:

Ward's entire character is retroactively made amazing. When he was going through his stupid generic loner quotes with Raina: "I don't play well with others"

And then after his reveal: "I'm everyone's type. :smug:"

EDIT: The Facebook group posted a minute preview of the next episode, and it looks pretty great. :allears:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=687177834680401&saved&linkId=8125604

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 2, 2014

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

They were low to the ground when they were dropped, so the fall itself wouldn't have been fatal (at least in TV/comic logic). Even then, Fitz now has a broken arm according to the cover art.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I don't want Simmons to turn evil. :(

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I would like to see Simmons as Squirrel Girl. Or rather, I just want to see Simmons clowning on major Marvel villains.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I wonder if Ward is still going to be a traitor, and if they're also going to make a 616 Garrett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

jivjov posted:

Do we know anything about the home media release of AoS yet? Bonus features, limited editions, anything?

They previewed the blooper reel!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/25/agents-of-shield-gag-reel/

• Locked thread