Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Doakes posted:

A few pages back, but speaking of Johnny Vegas has anyone watched Ideal? I recently bought the box set and just finished watching through all seven series. Really hilarious and surreal sitcom, although I think I appreciate it more since i'm from st helens (where vegas is from), and now live in salford (where the shows set) and its full of local humor.

You'd probably find more people in the UK TV thread since it wasn't really popular here in North America (even though I've seen some of it). I didn't watch more than a few seasons of it but I always thought it was really neat and unique.

What's also unique is that it turns out Johnny Vegas is kind of an unhealthy character put on my the guy who goes by Johnny Vegas and he doesn't like playing him anymore so he's just doing his own thing with his real name and acting completely un-Vegas-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Vince is doing the movie!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

I noticed that Roxanne Dawson directed an episode of SHIELD. I'm pretty sure its the same lady who played the half Klingon on Voyager.

Yes it is, a bunch of Star Trek actors turned into TV directors over the course of the shows, Will Riker is another.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

hope and vaseline posted:

I'm simultaneously mourning and enjoying DTTB in Apt 23. Cause with the proper episode order, everything makes sense, and I haven't seen about 2/3 of the second season. But then knowing it ends :(

Just be glad we could be graced with such beauty in the first place, I would rather have DTTB'd and lost than to have never DTTB'd at all.

Seeing Eric Andre in the show is weird too since that was before his own show on Adult Swim and before everyone realized he is a crazy son of a bitch, while in the show he's so normal and well behaved.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

raditts posted:

Boy, he tried really hard to keep that interview going. I can't believe he managed to stretch that out to 10 minutes.
I guess this interview answers this question, but does "the guy who made minecraft" really have enough star power to make it onto late night talk shows?

Him and his company make money hand over fist, enough so that there's big conventions about Minecraft. He's not big enough to be on something like Letterman but making it on Ferguison doesn't seem that strange.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Deadpool posted:

I know a lot of you guys were worried about Fox only having one Seth MacFarlane animated show next season after American Dad leaves. So you don't have to worry anymore!

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/fox-greenlights-animated-comedy-series-from-seth-macfarlane-for-next-season/

quote:

Set in a fictitious desert town near the U.S.-Mexico border, Bordertown centers on the intertwining daily lives of neighbors Bud Buckwald and Ernesto Gonzales. Bud, a married father of three, is a Border Patrol agent who feels threatened by the cultural changes that have transformed his neighborhood. Living next door is Ernesto, an industrious Mexican immigrant and father of four, who is proud to be making it in America. As Bud and Ernesto’s paths begin to cross, their families become bound by friendship, romance and conflict

Ha ha ha, that sure is a good Onion article.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Spatula City posted:

Watching X-Files, and, you know, I really love it, but I kind of get irritated by most of the episodes where Mulder and Scully are merely spectators and have little to no influence on the final outcome of a case. Also, The Field Where I Died kind of drops a bombshell in suggesting that in the world of The X-Files, reincarnation is totally a thing, and the souls of Mulder, Scully, Cancer Man, and others are bound together by destiny. Cool idea, but I suspect they did nothing to follow it up and never referenced it again. Please tell me if that's the case (currently partway through season 4, so I wouldn't know).

That is a weird thing about the show that I also noticed from watching some of the good episodes lately -- there'll be a lot of episodes where something spooky happens and Mulder comes up with an out there theory and Scully gives a science theory and slowly that science theory gets shown to not be feasible but still they can't really be sure. And then you get the episodes with the very serious plotline about the aliens and how grave and spooky and serious that is.

And then there's just an episode with a genie, just a straight up genie. Mulder knows it's a genie, the genie says she's a genie, Scully seems to accept that it's a genie, just a straight up genie.

And then there's ghosts, not even just like sightings of ghosts, characters who die in the show come back as ghosts and help Mulder and Scully, just straight up ghosts.

Weird.

edit: Oh yeah and there's an episode with a dude who travels through time, and that's just kinda accepted. It's a dude who is old in the future but in his 20s in the show's present time so he travels back to the show's present time. You'd think he'd mention all the stuff from the mytharc that happens since it's kind of a big fuckin deal what will be happening from that mytharc but nope, just a dude who travels through time and people accept that.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 14, 2013

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

skooma512 posted:

I'm watching the X Files on netflix.

By watching, I'm mean it playing on my work laptop while I play Civ 5. It's ok but I'm not compelled to
actively watch it.

I'm on Season 2 and it's picked up slightly. Is there a golden age sweet spot set of seasons I should be looking for to?

Season 3 is probably where it starts getting best, the mytharc actually starts getting interesting and not bland and the MotW episodes have some good ones in there.

edit: which is probably true of every single show out there come to think of it

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

The X-Files was a spectacular show and one of the best mystery shows ever made in my opinion.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Why isn't it How I Met Your Father?

Focus Groups.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

lelandjs posted:

I feel like X-Files would work best if watched on old worn out VHS tapes with the occasional tracking issue.

No, in a dark room on a big curved glass CRT from a DVD player.

Watching it off of a VHS would be worse quality than a TV broadcast but you still get that old TV feel with the curved glass

edit: gently caress, I'm a television hipster

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Cactus posted:

"Field Trip" from one of the later seasons is my favourite X-files episode. I'll bust out the black bars because today I don't feel like being too much of a dick apart from mentioning Girls:

For me it successfully captured that feeling of knowing you're somewhere, in a normal situation perhaps at home, just living your life and - No you're actually not there you're somewhere else all messed up and you have no idea what's what because your brain not in it's normal state but you're kind of coming around and just realising that everything is absolutely NOT as it seems and it's kinda scary and kinda cool and exciting and above all else it makes you feel small and totally out of control of your perception of things but nevermind all that I* just need to work out exactly what I* am first.

*Trying to cogitate all this without any concept of "I" "me" or "perception"

You'll probably either like/dislike it a lot, or not really think much of it at all depending on what you've tried.

For me the climax of that episode is when the Lone Gunmen guy tells Scully that he thinks that Mulder died in exactly the way she described and you right away know that something is up, the line just gives off this real spookiness from how "right" that it would be that they all went with Scully.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

enuma elish posted:

Can't believe you forgot to mention The Post-Modern Prometheus.

(The X-Files score is absolutely fantastic, though)

It is too drat spooky, I have trouble sleeping at night just thinking about it in my head.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

One of my new hobbies is going through the old lineups of TV networks and seeing the shows that no one could possibly remember.

You catch some gems like Stark Raving Mad which is a sitcom sorta remake of The Odd Couple starring Monk and Doogie Howser that isn't amazing but pretty fun to watch.

And then you get shows that just seems bad like Veronica's Closet. Or something very mediocre like Good Morning, Miami

One of the ones that caught my eye was Leap of Faith which has this interesting tidbit on wikipedia: "Leap of Faith is a half-hour single-camera comedy that aired on NBC in early 2002, right after Friends on NBC's Thursday comedy block at 8:30 PM EST, as part of Must See TV. One of the highest rated shows to be cancelled, the series ended after just six episodes, despite ranking 12th for the season and having an average of 16.5 million viewers per episode." Unfortunately it seems almost impossible to watch since why would someone release a DVD of a show that was cancelled after 3 episodes and there's nothing on youtube except this one clip that makes it seem like a magically terrible show, one that I can't even fathom how it was made in to a series considering all the professionals that would have to be involved in making a TV show.

And then you get the shows that seem too bland to have ever been made in to a show like Jesse, make sure to check out that super interesting promo shot they have for the show.

Or a show with an amazing description like this: "The show depicts the life of Molly Bickford Dodd, a divorced woman in New York City with a lifestyle that could be described as both yuppie and bohemian. Molly seems to drift from job to job and relationship to relationship. Her ex-husband, a ne'er-do-well jazz musician, still cares for her. In fact, nearly every man she meets (and the occasional woman) adores her. Her warmth and emotional accessibility are the root cause of most of Molly's problems in life." (The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd)

Or Michael Chiklis being amazingly creepy in Daddio (that picture gives me nightmares, why did he ever do comedy?)

Or the show that gave me my favourite tagline, something right out of 30 Rock: "Fired Up is a short-lived NBC 1997–1998 situation comedy that lasted for two seasons and 28 episodes. The series, the first from Grammnet Productions, starred Sharon Lawrence as a self-centered promotions executive and Leah Remini as her mouthy assistant. When the pair got fired from their jobs, they teamed up to create a business as equal partners. The tagline of the series was "First she got fired, then she got fired up.""

But the favourite thing I learned from this endeavour was that there was a sitcom that ran from 1995 to 1998 for 3 seasons called The Naked Truth where they retooled the show each season, leading to one character suddenly no longer being mentally challenged. Back in the glory days when DVDs weren't a thing and you just had to hope no one remembered that one character had a disability one season that is just gone the next.

Certainly Must See TV

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

SgtScruffy posted:

I just started watching Twin Peaks finally, and my friend told me that I should immediately stop watching as soon as "The police find out who the killer is", and pretend like they never made the rest of the series or the movie. Is this a generally held consensus, or should I go ahead and watch the whole thing?

The movie is the best part of Twin Peaks so your friend can go gently caress himself.

Just watch all of it, it's all interesting to watch even if it gets real weird and dumb in the second season.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

xeria posted:

It was kind of fun to watch NBC try and fail repeatedly to find a show that could carry an audience between Friends and Seinfeld on Thursdays at 8:30. I vaguely remember some show called The Single Guy running for a while there.

That was one I failed to mention only because it seemed interesting but it's not on youtube and I'm not sure there was ever a home release of it so I have no idea how I could watch it. That's something of a tragedy to me, that I can't watch all of these things because no one cares enough to put them out there.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

The scifi stuff so far is pretty bland. And it's supposed to be a crime-ridden future but everything looks so clean. Even the shady drug labs looked more organized than Walter White's ever was.

Well yeah, of course, they have more advanced cleaning technology in the future.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

The only two TV shows I have ever seen are the Star Treks and That 70s Show, and really what more would someone need to see?!??!??!?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

That time the old guy got hit in the nads with a football on The Simpsons, holy cow that was good tv.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Sophia posted:

We really are watching art

Those movies being better than Serenity is probably the least controversial thing he ever said, it's probably just the common opinion really.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I spent way too long trying to figure out what movie you people were talking about because I couldn't find anything that said Jude Law was in American Hustle.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

I wonder when the day will come that someone writes another comedy pilot as good as That 70's Show's.

Now that's a great opinion right there, one of a few odd shows that starts out great.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you don't know who Andy Daly is by name, you might know him as the principal of the high school in the first season (and recurring afterwards) of East Bound and Down. He's also been a staple part of the Comedy Bang Bang podcast for a few years and has put out easily the best new podcast. Now his Comedy Central show is finally, finally here and its loving amazing.

http://www.comedycentral.com/episodes/coh418/review-stealing--addiction--prom-season-1-ep-101

So if you like good stuff, watch this show. Then review it!

Oh so it's just Andy Daly doing weird Andy Daly characters in a TV show?

..... So it's the best show on television since Drunk History

★★★★★

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

CaptainHollywood posted:

Anyone else ace the sitcom category in Jeopardy tonight? :smug:

Arthur Chu is still champion :munch:

It ain't hard when one of the answers to the category "Sitcoms by Episodes" is "Ted Mosby: Architect"

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Do you guys think kids these days even know what eating shorts is about? Or what ay carumba means? They probably all have cows and don't know what to do about it. I don't think Bart has actually said any of those things in like 20 years, how will this generation know Simpsons pop culture.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Cactus posted:

Ohgod don't bring Falling Skies into any discussion that involves possibly "good" television.

I started re-watching The Walking Dead with a friend and it's the funniest experience. He's one of those types that doesn't suffer fools easily, and hearing him voice Every. Single. Gripe. I mentally had with the show the first time I watched it with the characters and plot, and boneheaded decisions that are made as a result of the interactions of said C&P is something cathartic and amazing. I may even have him watch Falling Skies next just for the shits and giggles but I fear exposing him to too much Bad Television for short term amusement gains will cost me a viewing buddy in the long term.

I'm sure this exists: is there an internet culture in TV viewing similar to that of the Let's Plays you get for videogames, where someone watches a TV show "blind" - either with or without a sitter there that may have seen the show before, and they just record their commentary and reactions to the various events, plot twists and character beats that happen, for us to watch along with and vicariously re-live our first-watches of that show?

It wouldn't be the worst idea I guess, I do really love DVD commentaries for that reason, though those aren't usually people who are going in blind, but then they're usually professional comedic writers so it turns out better.

• Locked thread