Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I was pretty sure the Raiders were gonna grab a DT last year, but they grabbed a CB so what do I know? I have no idea who they grab here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Disillusionist posted:

An actual Raiders fan will probably give you a better answer than I, but it seems they're set at:

1. Tackle. Veldheer is pretty good when healthy and they just drafted Menelik Watson who hasn't played much due to injury.
2. Center
3. Tyvon Branch is a pretty good safety

That's all I know off the top of my head. Not sure how Sio Moore is doing but even if he's good they need more linebackers. I assume they need defensive lineman. They're starting Mike Jenkins so they need more quality corners. Woodson is having a good year but they need a replacement for him down the line. Their guards suck. They have some nice receivers but I'm not sure any of them is a true #1. And I don't know anything about their tight ends.

Pretty much anyone would help the Raiders right now.

If I had to guess I'd say DE or OLB, maybe WR if there's a playmaker available

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

MourningBoo posted:

Aaron Murray is also playing with like his eight string receivers and running backs now.

Imagine losing a potential 50 grand every time your RS Freshman WR drops a ball

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Way to overachieve on a rebuilding year Raiders

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Disillusionist posted:

At least they don't need a quarterback (I assume they're sticking with Pryor?). I count 7 teams currently picking ahead of them that probably need a quarterback. If you assume 4 quarterbacks are taken before them they have the chance to take the #11 player on their board at worst if they stick to pure BPA.

Of course, they should try to trade down and maximize their picks in the first three rounds. Do they have an extra picks in the 2014 draft?

They traded their 5th round pick for Matt Flynn(lol) and have an extra 6 or 7 from the Cards but other than that they're all set.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Hypothetically, if the Jags go 0-16 - what would be their best strategy? Should they trade their 1st overall pick and get a couple of early picks for the next few years, or do you straight up draft Bridgewater or Clowney? Establishing a franchise QB is nice, but the Jags have so many holes, it's gonna be a long rebuild.

It's impossible to say now, it all depends on who wants who. It's a boring answer, but probably the right one

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Sometimes your franchise QB is addicted to codeine and the WR taken with the next pick becomes one of the best of all time and gets 320+ yards a game

SIGH

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

LEGO Genetics posted:

"Even if we did take Megatron, who the hell was going to throw to him?"

-Me, when I was 18 and cheered when the team drafted Jamarcus

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

This is the point in time where I wish I could find that post about Jamarcus and the soaring bird. He failed for a bunch of different reasons, but talent was not one of them and it was not crazy for him to go first in that draft. He just ended up not giving a poo poo about football when he got that big contract and eventually had a codeine addiction.

I'm fairly sure I heard that the Raiders knew Jamarcus had a codeine addiction when they drafted him

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

It's kinda cool that all the Raiders draft picks pre-rookie wage scale busted out of the NFL so now the Raiders have no horrible contracts to deal with

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Roasted Donut posted:

Clowney is the best player in the draft and it isn't even close, they're just dumb as hell

Sometimes to me it looked like he didn't give a poo poo, but maybe thats because they ran the play away from him on purpose again and he was just like "gently caress this"?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

The Raiders were so bad in the 2000's from a good mixture of both, but the coaching played a huge role. Oakland ran pretty much ONLY Man coverage due to Al Davis' insistence. If certain plays weren't called "right" he'd call down the field from the Owners box and make the calls himself. So yeah

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I distinctly remember Crabtree being called "Generational" all the way up until right before the draft

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

swickles posted:

Hey its never too early for a mock draft, and certainly not too early for one with 3 QB's in the top 5.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/2014-nfl-draft-report-full-first-round-mock-222745657--nfl.html

edit: And 4 in the top 7, Derek Carr :lol:
I'm not ready for the Raiders to grab another WR in the first round

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Volkerball posted:

I think all the analysts saying the Raiders should grab a receiver in the 1st aren't paying attention. Denarius Moore has blown up this season, but it's not getting any recognition because he's not putting up numbers in bulk given he's catching the ball from two rookies. Streater is Pryor's favorite receiver, and he's always in position to make a play even though he was a UFA just last season. Andre Holmes played so good in training camp that he got suspended for the first 5 games of the season, and they still kept him signed as a UFA until he came back, and threw him right on the field. He's playing great. Brice Butler looked like our annual 4th round steal in preseason. Criner could still develop. I mean if it's a generational prospect, sure, but Lee or Watkins are just going to be competing for time with everyone else, and slightly younger and behind.

I think McKenzie will probably be looking for a "difference maker" in the front 7. Anthony Barr and CJ Mosley stand out. With the cap space, they can afford to sign another Pat Sims caliber dude or two, and a DE if they don't get Clowney or Tuitt. Then like, 2 guards, a free safety, a running back to "compete" with Jennings and Murray, and some more defensive depth. Other than that they could pretty much roll with what they've got and I'd expect them to be in playoff contention week 17, and have plenty of cap space left to resign the real talent among all those kids long term. Coordinators and coaching staff are all good for once too, so there'll probably be some continuity next season. I want to see who wins the QB competition next preseason.

I would keel over if Oakland drafted another Alabama LB in the top 10

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Raiders went from 7 to 4.

C'mon top 3.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Industrial posted:

I was trying to think of a counter example but...wow

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/colleges/pennst/drafted.htm

Unless we count the 1 or 2 really good years Larry Johnson had the best counter I could find was Joe Jurevicious

Counterpoint: Matt McGloin wasn't drafted

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Look at every team struggling with the cap due to grandfathered-in old rookie wage scale contracts. Too bad all your first round picks didn't bust like Oaklands so you're still on the hook while Oakland gets a clean slate :smug:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Who the gently caress is Bortles

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Agreed, Bortles looks like a mobile Schaub. I hope Oakland gets Clowney and like, McCarron in the 2nd or something

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Barr is good, but he gets manhandled by bigger TEs

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

guggs posted:

If Clowney fell to 5th or 6th, would it be possible for the Niners to trade up like the Falcons did in 2011 for Jones? The Niners have a ton of picks, and have a deep roster. In 2011, the Falcons swapped their first rounder (26th), gave up their 2nd, and 4th picks as well as their 2012 1st, and 4th. I think they would need to give up more since Clowney is more regarded than Jones was, but I could see a team like the Raiders really needing extra picks than a top 5 guy.

Hi hello my name is Mark Davis please do this

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

How much does playing well in a bowl game change someone's draft stock?

More extreme both ways than it should be

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Half of the articles on Bridgewater are pieces about how he's the next great, and the other half call him a more-polished Geno Smith

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I'd laugh, but some team always picks an unexpected QB super high

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 17, 2014

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

:allears: Ronald Curry

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Intruder posted:

Didn't Trent Edwards have a ridiculously weak arm?

"Doesn't"

Trent Edwards is currently number 2 on the Raiders QB Depth chart :colbert:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Russell Wilson would actually be handing the ball off to Andre Brown and letting Hauschka kick all the extra points and field goals :colbert:

just kidding its Philip Rivers throwing bombs to Jericho Cotchery and TJ Graham

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 20, 2014

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

code:
	                Team Needs (In Order)
 Oakland Raiders	Everything except P and FB
:lol:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

It's probably his tattoo giving him advice

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Gatts posted:

So will the Raiders draft Usain Bolt or what?

Al Davis is dead, dude

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I really, really don't like Barr and I don't think he is anywhere in the same league as Clowney

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Apparently Mayock is saying he'd take Khalil Mack first overall

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

darkforce898 posted:

Even if they are in the correct talent order here, I think Manziel goes as the first QB.

I think a bigger story is how bad Clowney did at the bench press. Don't think it will hurt him that bad but it's an odd showing

Fairly sure Julius Peppers had 23 reps

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

It's too bad Lewan didn't come out last year, he would have been a perfect fit in Miami

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

If EJ Manual can get drafted in the first then Derek Carr being drafted early wouldn't shock me

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

The Walter Football mock has Oakland trading their second round pick to the Rams to grab Johnny Manziel. I know WF is poo poo but I fall for their trolling so hard

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

warcrimes posted:

Look, I'll buy the Davis Fallout stuff for the salary cap issues and past poo poo draft choices, but Matt Flynn and Tyler Wilson were two of the worst moves I've ever seen.

e: to clarify, I'm asking the Raider draftgoons here what they're really hoping for in this draft, I've been woefully lacking in draft knowledge for years.

Worst case scenario is trading up to grab a player. Second worst is Bortles/Manziel imo. I really don't want to deal with the Clowney Hype, so I'm really hoping to grab Bridgewater/Watkins/Mack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Didn't we have a TFF Podcast at some point?

• Locked thread