Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I love these every year, thanks Bewbies.

I heard some color guy going off on James Franklin last week (yes the week that he didn't play) about how he was going to be playing on Sundays. Do you see any chance of this/understand where he was coming from? Because I do not, even though I really like the guy.
No idea where they are getting that idea from. He isn't particularly impressive as a thrower and his running style isn't going to work at all in the NFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I actually want the Chiefs to draft Johnny Manziel because he'd own in the NFL with Andy Reid teaching him. If I can't have that, will be keeping fingers crossed that Sammy Watkins somehow slips to the bottom of the first round.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

But yeah Emmitt Thomas is a great DB coach, he was like the only coach Reid kept from the previous regime.

Coached Brandon Carr up into what he is, improved on Sean Smith a lot, Eric Berry has finally lived up to his draft hype, even Kendrick Lewis aint bad. Also Cooper of course

Couldn't do much for Stanford Routt

Kendrick Lewis is kinda bad.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

il serpente cosmico posted:

I checked out his this highlight reel of him in college: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPfJgy8n_LA

All I see are screen passes or receivers wide open 5-10 yards from scrimmage--basically the only things he can do in the NFL. I also don't see a single clip of him in duress. It's odd to me that he was rated so highly by scouts--I don't see anything there he'd be able to hang his hat on in the NFL, and if I remember correctly some scouts were rating him higher than Cam Newton.
Only reason some were rating him higher than Cam was because they thought Cam was a thug.

MU was a very heavy screen team when Gabbert was here, but that was more because they were excellent at blocking downfield than it was trying to cover up any QB deficiencies. He was rated highly because he had good size+arm in a class that quickly went south after Cam Newton.

He was a case where he needed to stay another year in college, but I don't think being under David Yost for another year would of done him any good.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

This was a Raiders era that made Randy Moss look like his career was over, so it's possible that JaMarcus was brought into the world's worst situation. Moss had just left the Raiders for the Patriots that very offseason when he suddenly became a superhero again.

e: oh and Oakland's OC was Greg Knapp, QB anti-guru. Need I say more?
This really can't be emphasized enough. Hell, that was around the time that the Raiders had an Offensive Coordinator that was lifting play designs from Madden.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, but it also needs to be mentioned that Gradkowski stepped into that same scheme and instantly had more success, so it's not all on them.

Well yeah, I don't think you could just blame the Raiders when Russel couldn't even bother to spend a few minutes to make sure his DVD actually contained game film instead of Looney Toons.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

As I said early in the thread, it's going to own a lot when Manziel falls in the draft for being a college kid and Andy Reid ends up taking him.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Ingram wasn't even the best RB on the Crimson Tide.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

excidium posted:

KC really, really needs a WR who can get separation AND catch the ball. Another safety that knows not to let guys past him would be really awesome as well.
It's really hard to peg down exactly what the Chiefs needs will be. Schwartz and Stephenson looked actually competent on the right side and while the idea is frightening, Eric Fisher will be the LT next year.

I'd give about a 1% chance that Albert stays. Hudson should probably move back to LG and they should be shopping for a new Center in Free Agency. Beyond that, replace Andy Heck at offensive line coach.

Draft wise:
WR They really need two of these. McCluster and Avery are bad.
FS I've been begging for the Chiefs to replace Kendrick Lewis for years now.
LB Health issues this year aside, Hali and Houston almost never get any rest and they need to fix that.
DE Tyson Jackson sucks.
TE Fasano has been a Free Agency bust.
CB Dunta Robinson is a lock to get cut, so some depth here would be good.
OL With at least two starters leaving, they need depth at bare minimum.

If they need to replace basically the entire line, I'm not sure how they fill their needs in one off-season.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

excidium posted:

I wouldn't even say that. If the defense were to come back on in the playoffs and the offense continues to put up points there's no reason we can't make a run in the playoffs. They have shown they can do really well in all 3 phases, it's just putting it together and getting all 3 going at the same time when it matters.

So according to the Chig if we're looking at ~$124M next year the Chiefs are already at $121M before the next rookie class. That really doesn't leave much room for anything in FA like Maclin. Dunta Robinson would be good for $3.3M in cap space. I don't honestly believe they will cut Avery after one year when we really have very few other options, but we'll see. Other than that, some of the only cap savings looks like extending Alex Smith (trigger warning for Parm) or extending Eric Berry (if that's possible - he was a pre-new CBA contract and will be going into year 4 of 5).
The Chiefs have about 3 million in cap space left from this year, which I'd assume they will certainly carry over. Without a 2nd round pick and a lower draft slot in the first, they shouldn't need as much money dedicated to the rookie pool next year.

Unless they have a plan up their sleeve in FA/Draft or they feel Tyler Bray is ready, Alex Smith will be getting some form of an extension during the off-season. That move could free up another mil or more in cap space and Dwayne Bowe has a lot of room for restructuring in his deal.

With the expected cut (Dunta), space leftover and the carryover they should have around 10 million available. After rookies and vets they want to keep, not really a lot of space. They can make room to bring in at least one decent Free Agent, and I'd suggest bringing in an Offensive Lineman over a receiver. Unless a bunch of underclass decide to stay, the draft is looking quite deep at WR.

This also seems like a broken record and fans of 31 other teams will suggest it, but the Chiefs should look into moving down and out of the first year this draft (unless someone like Marqise Lee happened to slip at whatever draft slot they get).

As for Avery, his drop rate is absurd and drops have been killing the offense all year. Fasano kind of fits into that profile too.

Regnevelc posted:

Dunno why KC fans think they need a receiver, y'all have Junior Hemingway.
He really should get some more playing time.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 3, 2013

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Intruder posted:

I'm warming a lot more to drafting Bridgewater or maybe Mariota. There isn't a much better situation for a rookie QB than the Texans have. Brown-Jones-Myers-Brooks-a RT who isn't Derek Newton is a pretty nice line, and having AJ80-Hopkins-Posey-Martin-Daniels-Graham as receiving options and Foster at RB is pretty stout. I still hope a healthy Quessenberry can take over the RT responsibilities, but really anyone but Newton would be a pretty massive improvement in pass blocking.
I can't see Mariota leaving Oregon early as he really shouldn't. Same goes for Hundley.

Intruder posted:

e: is the whole "he doesn't fit in a 3-4" thing bullshit?
I don't think it's a given that the Texans continue to run a 3-4 Defense.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Intruder posted:

I just can't imagine taking a RT #1 overall (although I guess the Chiefs did it)
Fisher isn't playing Right Tackle for much longer. Beyond that, it was a terrible decision.

Unless Houston doesn't believe Bridgewater is the right QB for them, I can't see them going another direction.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

PrinceRandom posted:

Huh. Walter football has 4 QBs going in the top 10. Are teams really going to be that desperate for Carr or Hundley or Manziel?

Yes, yes teams will be. Outside of some rumor that walterfootball has been floating around, I don't see anything that would indicate Hundley is going to declare.

Elotana posted:

I know JFF is a risky pick but if Logan loving Thomas goes before him then why even bother playing the games

Logan Thomas best shot at getting drafted would be to agree with a position change.

Quest For Glory II posted:

And I can't imagine the Chiefs draft a QB anytime soon either. They seem to be satisfied with Alex Smith and he's only 29, so he'll be playing at least another 5-6 years.

I'd say the Chiefs passing on a QB is a fair assumption, although I don't think "well we're set with Alex Smith" is the reason. From what I've heard, they are high on Tyler Bray.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

bobby2times posted:

So who's most likely taking a WR? I'm going to be pissed if the Jets dont even get a chance to draft one of the top WR prospects.

The Ravens absolutely should and I think you could make arguments for Oakland/Lions/Steelers.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

bewbies posted:

Yeah. He was a quality prospect. I REALLY wanted the Chefs to trade up to nab him but the Browns slid in right ahead of us and we wound up with Bowe. Quinn wouldn't have been a huge reach at 3 and should have probably gone to the Dolphins all else equal

I remember being really mad that Carl Peterson actually did an interview with Trey Wingo (who he kept calling Zack for god knows what reason) and said he'd take Brady Quinn if he slid down to their spot.

One of the several reasons why he was really bad at his job near the end.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

swickles posted:

Really things like this should be decided by an arm wrestling match between owners.

Ralph Wilson would die if the Bills had to determine draft order.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Intruder posted:

How many rounds did McCarron cost himself tonight?
Having a bad game isn't the end of the world. If he fares well when teams grill him about that performance, the impact will be minimal at most.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Groucho Marxist posted:

Out of the notable Mizzou underclassmen, DE Kony Ealy (yes his name really is Kony) declared and GOAT Henry Josey is undecided. Kony is maybe a late first rounder with a decent chance of a combine bump, and Josey would probably be drafted late due to his injury history.

The biggest name in the senior class is Michael Sam. He was a unanimous All-American this season, but he's one of those guys who does it all through motor, so I'm not sure he's not much of a draft prospect. Justin Britt and EJ Gaines are both pretty good and are in the 3rd-4th round range. L'Damian Washington is likely 4th-5th round guy who I think can be a steal, but I have a blind spot when it comes to guys the size of small forwards who have good hands.
Britt is probably a UDFA.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Doltos posted:

There's also Tuitt and Ealy, although Ealy is dropping a bit due to production this year. He had a big game against OSU though and he's a huge person.

I'm not even sure how you came to that conclusion, or the basis for it.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Doltos posted:

I looked it up and other websites echo his late first status. He's 6'5 275 and extremely strong. Good first step and slick, but a little slow after that. He reminds me of Adrian Clayborn. I'm not like, knocking the guy.
I'm not sure how having a fantastic year is dropping his value or that his value is dropping.

Pron on VHS posted:

Cyprien has played really well this year.

Chiefs should also be in the mix for Clinton-Dix
The Chiefs don't have any shot to land Clinton-Dix. The Rams would be stupid to not select him with that 2nd first round selection, which happens well before KC is on the board.

They're probably gonna have to settle with a short term stopgap like Ryan Clark until they have more picks in a better safety class.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

excidium posted:

This is true as well. With the way the Chief's picks are shaping up and all of the WRs declaring, KC should probably go WR with our first two picks (1st and 3rd rounds). With our cap space I don't think we'll be able to do much as far as signing one of the top FAs, so we'll be heavily leaning on draft picks and cheap FAs.
I'd say they need a Tight End also, as Fasano looked old and slow.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

excidium posted:

We didn't really get to see Kelce, but I don't have any reason to think he can't step in and do the job.
I'm not saying Kelce is bad, I just see him as more of a #2 Tight End that will also occasionally shift out to WR.

Eric Ebron and Kelce (if he can recover from his injury and live up to expectations) would be a fantastic TE duo.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

I would really love it if the Chiefs could address the secondary in the 1st round as I am convinced any WR they draft will bust.

Clinton-Dix, Dennard, Ebron, ASJ, Paul Richardson is my wishlist in order
They really need to get the corners they have already playing better.

Parmesan Basil posted:

Also, what's the order now? Packers, Eagles, Chiefs and Bengals, right?
Yeah

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Volkerball posted:

They could always pick up secondary in the first round, and then go for a receiver in the sec....awwwww.

In hindsight, Alex Smith at least has worked out and well it's not like they passed on Calvin Johnson for Jamarcus Russel.

Aniki posted:

Bortles is declaring, but Hundley is likely staying in school. It feels like the Vikings options are going to be to trade up, take Carr at 8, or draft defense in the first and add a QB like Mettenberger or Murray later in the draft. I'd be willing to trade up for Bridgewater, but probably not for Bortles or Manziel, but plenty can change between now and the draft.
I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario where Rick Spielman doesn't reach for Derek Carr or Manziel at 8 so he can try to buy himself a few more years of job security.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grozz Nuy posted:

So this makes the final pick from the Smith trade what, #55? Should be some good players at the positions we need at that point, or it would be a nice chip to have if we want to make a big move up in the first, hopefully from 32.

We've got this #23 pick...

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I actually said this while talking about football to someone. "Miami beat Indy only because they had a decent pass rush. They only sacked him three times, but if it wasn't for Andrew Luck being so goddamn elusive, they would have gotten 7-8. No joke.
People really underestimate how good of an athlete Andrew Luck is.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Logan Thomas (SR, QB) is probably the most well known/criticized player coming off our team and entering the draft after being a starter for 3 years and staying with the team for a full 5. I fully believe with real coaching for more than just the final year of his eligibility he'd be viewed more favorably, but it's hard to argue that without some of the best Hokies in program history around him he wasn't special enough to make magic from next to nothing the past 2 years. Imo he's going to be a good NFL QB if the team that drafts him gives him a year or two to develop under real coaching which he was sorely lacking until this past season. He makes throws that physically a lot of guys just aren't capable of and there is no replacing that, I think the footwork and mental side of it will come together with the right coach. He's very tough to pull down and he's mobile enough to be dangerous as a runner (although as the primary runner I think it wore him down the past 2 seasons). The only guy I'd place a bet on for when/where he gets drafted honestly, I would bet just based on pure speculation that Bruce Arians & the Cardinals take him in the 2nd or 3rd round. QB physical talent is always over valued, and Arians loves the deep ball which Logan is really quite good at throwing (plus that VT connection). He can have a year or 2 behind Palmer before he'd need to start. Seems like a fit to me, but I could be horribly off.
Logan Thomas is destined to be making a position change back to Tight End.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grozz Nuy posted:

I don't think going back is necessarily a bad idea for him, but I'm kind of shocked the advisory board rated Hundley so low.
Advisory panel are going to be super conservative with their grades and Hundley is far from a finished prospect. I don't think the grade is that outlandish.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

buddhanc posted:

Henry Josey, running back out of Mizzou, is entering the draft.
Was expected that he would.

Wasn't quite the same RB before his knee injury, but was still a really good runner. I think he'd be a great pick up in the 3rd day of the draft.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

bewbies posted:

I think I'd be on board with the Chefs trading into the 20s to take Manziel. He would be a great fit for that offense. He almost certainly won't be there but still.
They've got the 23rd pick, so they wouldn't even have to trade up. :)

I don't expect them to take Manziel, but it'd own a lot if he were playing for Andy Reid.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

euphronius posted:

It looks like Maclin is staying in Phila, if you go by press statements.
I'd prefer that the Eagles kept Maclin. As cool as it'd be for Maclin to come back, I've got a feeling his knees are about shot and I'd prefer to remember him as a cool rear end dude that played at MU and not a FA bust. :unsmith:

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Quandary posted:

If the Rams get Clowney and Watkins then :fap:
The Rams have two really good pass-rushers so I don't see why they wouldn't try and move down.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Azhais posted:

AJ McCarron made it official that he's not gonna go to the senior bowl

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/alabama_quarterback_aj_mccarro_7.html
What a really bad decision. He had a lot to prove and a good week probably would of baited a dumb team to draft him in the first round.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

the senior bowl has never been terrible QB-friendly though; the setup very much benefits defenders.
True, but I don't think he would of lost any stock by attending. Unless I'm recalling incorrectly, Geno Smith was blasted for skipping last year.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Real Name Grover posted:

Has Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) proven his credibility in past years? I'm not familiar with him, but:

:stare: Had you told me he would've been projected to go before the fifth round I would've questioned it, much less the first.

He also thought Mike Glennon was a first round QB. That alone should tell you enough about Matt Miller.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Intruder posted:

Any chance Mack gets franchised?
Would you franchise Mack or TJ Ward? I'm actually not sure about that answer, but they might have to choose. :shobon:

John Brown posted:

Why are people so hard on Glennon? He may have not debuted as well as Luck, RGIII, or Wilson, but I thought he played really good for a rookie QB in a dumpster fire of a coaching staff.
Saying that someone isn't a first round prospect isn't really being hard on them. I think Matt Miller even had him as a top 10, maybe top 5 pick at one time. Did you think Mike Glennon was a Top 10 player?

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 24, 2014

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grozz Nuy posted:

That presumes that you believe Ward is as good of a safety as Mack is a center, and personally I would disagree but who knows what the Browns administration thinks about literally anything at this point.
I haven't watched a lot of Browns games lately, but it seems they are both at least good. Well, TJ Ward is good and Alex Mack is really good.

I guess it'll come down to whoever they feel is more able to be signed if neither are under contract by the deadline.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Raku posted:

While I was amazed with LSU's receivers this year I have no idea why people think Mettenburger's so good compared to Murray or McCarron.
Good size and arm is enough for people to like a QB.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

He did a terrible job listing the Chiefs needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I think I'd be more concerned about Kyle Orton having a 4 million cap hit to ride the bench.

• Locked thread