Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

dashKADE posted:

I'm wrapping up Trophies and as I'm sneaking around the Helghan Slums one of the guards starts talking to another, which isn't uncommon. However their conversation was rather funny. The one guard was trying to convince the other about an ongoing conspiracy and the other wasn't having any of it, just telling him to be quiet because he didn't want to be caught talking about it and there simply was no cover-up or conspiracy. The "Truther" just got all dejected, "Yeah, well, you should listen to the broadcasts." Just a funny little thing to find.

There's a lot of one-off conversations in the game that I found endearing while powering through things.

Killzone is this really horrible combination of attention to the SP (because that's what everyone reviewing the game plays, but nobody actually spends time in) and a ton of post-launch effort in MP (which most reviewers will never play again - and I'm guilty of this - so they'll never know how it got better/worse). Killzone is sold as a spectacle game, but the entire series exists because it's been a variably decent/amazing multiplayer experience since it hit the PS3.

I don't get to talk to the proper folks in meetings that often with first-party stuff (much less this game), but I now can lord over them the input you guys have, and when they dare to question it, I'll scream "I HAVE THE loving PLATINUM IN THIS GAME; DO YOU?"

Sony has the usual corporate structure and folks in place, same as any other company, but what blows my mind is how much power the people who REALLY play the games have. It kinda makes working there worth it. You can actually throw out "I Platinumed this game" to someone and it has weight. Not a ton, but it matters.

Keep bitching about stuff in these threads, guys. I'm watching and I'm with you. Also, PM me if you feel a particular issue is getting at you. I have WAY less pull on the actual games side these days (and it kills me), but I'm here. I'll listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N

SamBishop posted:

There's a lot of one-off conversations in the game that I found endearing while powering through things.

Right? There's all these fun little details that I presume a lot of players won't ever get to see because they just blitz everything. I doubt I'd have heard near as many conversations if I wasn't someone who prefers stealth over combat, and luckily Shadow Fall allows for a stealth approach throughout most of the game.

SamBishop posted:

Killzone is this really horrible combination of attention to the SP (because that's what everyone reviewing the game plays, but nobody actually spends time in) and a ton of post-launch effort in MP (which most reviewers will never play again - and I'm guilty of this - so they'll never know how it got better/worse). Killzone is sold as a spectacle game, but the entire series exists because it's been a variably decent/amazing multiplayer experience since it hit the PS3.

That Shadow Fall got so many mediocre reviews because of its Single-player astounds me. You have Call of Duty, which has had laughably bad plot-lines ever since MW2, and Battlefield, which also has had terrible plot-lines recently. Not to mention both of those games had/have broken multiplayer. Meanwhile, KZ has a campaign that, while not great, is at least on par with CoD and BF and has an almost flawless multiplayer component. Having a flying section that took a few tries was seriously enough for everyone to dock the game multiple points.

I don't care for reviews, I never use them as a basis for purchase, but it's still aggravating to see how awful the state of game reviews are.

SamBishop posted:

I don't get to talk to the proper folks in meetings that often with first-party stuff (much less this game), but I now can lord over them the input you guys have, and when they dare to question it, I'll scream "I HAVE THE loving PLATINUM IN THIS GAME; DO YOU?"

Sony has the usual corporate structure and folks in place, same as any other company, but what blows my mind is how much power the people who REALLY play the games have. It kinda makes working there worth it. You can actually throw out "I Platinumed this game" to someone and it has weight. Not a ton, but it matters.

This is actually really cool to hear. That pointing out you've played the game enough to basically 100% it will give your comments more sway.

SamBishop posted:

Keep bitching about stuff in these threads, guys. I'm watching and I'm with you. Also, PM me if you feel a particular issue is getting at you. I have WAY less pull on the actual games side these days (and it kills me), but I'm here. I'll listen.

I was about to write that you should inquire about limiting Air Drones and Turrets but honestly there is no reason for it. There are multiple ways of destroying them easily, it's just a matter of not being too lazy to switch load outs.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Air drones and turrets are piss-easy to kill with pretty much anything so long as you don't just run out of cover and spray at them. I actually really like them in this game. They have that 'now I have the edge' type feeling when you use them right, but avoid being over-powered.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

Air drones and turrets are piss-easy to kill with pretty much anything so long as you don't just run out of cover and spray at them. I actually really like them in this game. They have that 'now I have the edge' type feeling when you use them right, but avoid being over-powered.

Turrets aren't a big deal because they only have a 90 degree window where they can shoot, but air drones are completely OP, especially in open air maps like the forest. If you aren't using the pulver with the attachment that blows them up it can be quite difficult, especially since you will have several of them up at once.

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N

actionjackson posted:

Turrets aren't a big deal because they only have a 90 degree window where they can shoot, but air drones are completely OP, especially in open air maps like the forest. If you aren't using the pulver with the attachment that blows them up it can be quite difficult, especially since you will have several of them up at once.

You sound like you haven't experimented much. Both Turrets and Air Drones can be destroyed or disabled by the following: HE Rockets (Pulver and Stova), E Missile (Kameraad, Vultur, Fors), Stun Blast Ability, and the Voltage and Purger make quick work of them as well. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things. You have all the ability in the world to drop multiple Air Drones within seconds with ease. Again, it's simply a matter of switching load outs.

The only thing I actually think would be a good idea is to bump up the refresh rate for Air Drones. Bring the fully upgraded refresh time up by ten seconds. Another option would be to not start the refresh rate the moment the Air Drone is destroyed. Let's say your Air Drone, had it not been destroyed, would have been deployed for another 20 seconds, add that to the refresh rate. That way you can't just throw out a new Drone within 30 seconds. It rewards the team that destroyed it by keeping the skies clear longer while punishing the enemy player you mindlessly threw a Drone near the enemy spawn without thinking strategically.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Making a party. Wacky_Delly_ is my psn name.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Is penthouse still part of the official rotations? Most nights I'm torn between bf4 ant this, then I remember penthouse...

But seriously, I really, really need to play more of this game, especially with you guys. But gently caress penthouse.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

dashKADE posted:

You sound like you haven't experimented much. Both Turrets and Air Drones can be destroyed or disabled by the following: HE Rockets (Pulver and Stova), E Missile (Kameraad, Vultur, Fors), Stun Blast Ability, and the Voltage and Purger make quick work of them as well. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things. You have all the ability in the world to drop multiple Air Drones within seconds with ease. Again, it's simply a matter of switching load outs.

The only thing I actually think would be a good idea is to bump up the refresh rate for Air Drones. Bring the fully upgraded refresh time up by ten seconds. Another option would be to not start the refresh rate the moment the Air Drone is destroyed. Let's say your Air Drone, had it not been destroyed, would have been deployed for another 20 seconds, add that to the refresh rate. That way you can't just throw out a new Drone within 30 seconds. It rewards the team that destroyed it by keeping the skies clear longer while punishing the enemy player you mindlessly threw a Drone near the enemy spawn without thinking strategically.

I've used every weapon in the game. Stun blast is a terrible ability, and by using it you have to give up something like speed dash which is much more useful (especially in warzone). I did mention the Pulver in my post.

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N

actionjackson posted:

I've used every weapon in the game. Stun blast is a terrible ability, and by using it you have to give up something like speed dash which is much more useful (especially in warzone). I did mention the Pulver in my post.

So you don't want to take up an ability slot with what is easily to worst method of taking out an Air Drone, that's fine, but you're going to ignore the fact that there is 3 Sniper Rifles, 3 Rifles, an LMG, a Minigun, a Railgun, and a Rail Cannon, all of which can easily drop an Air Drone. Yeah, you mention using the Pulver, but it's just one option of the variety of ways you can handle the situation. You always, always, always have 12 Load Out slots available to you. There is no reason why you shouldn't have at least one of those slots equipped to handle Air Drones. And even if you don't have one set up to handle them, you can edit your equipment mid-match.

The only way I can see it really being any sort of problem is when trying to unlock attachments and you don't want to switch to a different weapon (despite the fact that those Air Drones are wrecking you so often that you aren't getting any kills anyway). That or you are so weirdly dedicated to your load out that you outright refuse to use any other weapon. I agree that it sucks having to swap to a different weapon that you don't want to use but it's

The point is: You have many, many options available to you. You are the one who is choosing not to use them. It's akin to needing to pound a nail but refusing to use the ten different hammers laid out before you while complaining about the nail being unfair.

Lumpy posted:

Is penthouse still part of the official rotations? ... gently caress penthouse.

Yup. If it's the inevitable central clusterfuck that's getting to you, just hang out around the perimeter of the building and hunt the assorted enemies that are trying to sneak over to your team (throw a Silencer on your Reigner, helps a lot for sneaking up on them). If it's the general clutter of the level then you're unfortunately out of luck. At least with two new (free) maps on the way it'll be less likely to come up, along with The Wall. As hated as those two maps seem to be I have no idea how they end up getting chosen in the post-game map vote. I suspect it has to do with attachment and ability boosting, those mosh pits are great for that.

dashKADE fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 26, 2014

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hmm, the view that air drones are overpowered was first brought up by who are probably the best KZ MP players - team ID. I played pub matches with them a few times. There's a difference between one air drone every so often, and what you see in 24 player warzone on the forest and wall which is 3-4 at the same time (not to mention all the other players on their team shooting at you). I would be okay if they had more of a limited range with which they could attack you at.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Party up - sjackson12

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

actionjackson posted:

Party up - sjackson12

Fun games last night when there weren't 3 air drones over every spawn beacon =)

It's amazing how different this game feels compared to other shooters... took so long to get used to the camera sway when moving / running. It also drove home how "tight" the maps are after playing nothing but BF4 for a while. Obviously BF4 maps are bigger, but even the large KZ maps like forest are tight corridors that don't happen to have ceilings. I wonder if that was a conscious design choice for gameplay, or to limit draw distance. Even KZ2 had some maps with open expanses, where you could see tiny figures off in the distance (ahhh, using the Spot ability and a 12x scope to snipe people across the length of that desert map!) but there's almost no range to any encounter in KZ:SF. You can get the occasional mid-range combat, but the maps are really set up for short-range only.

I hope the next set of maps are a bit more open, and what would be really great is if they had different "versions" of the maps for different player counts a la BF4 (and I think CoD?) so you have more room when there's 24 players.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Radec Academy 2.0, 24/7. The 2fort of killzone.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I was playing TDM, trying to get 30 kills to get the level 4 TDM expert. I got to 28 with three minutes left, but we hit whatever # kills is needed to give us the automatic win first! That was annoying.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
How do you change the OWL modes when remote playing on the vita?

e: nevermind, it's the front screen swipe.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I've been playing with some of the Team iD guys in pub matches to help my game. They like extended warzone. Unfortunately we are coming across a trend that teams will do. Basically everyone plays support and chooses only turrets or air drones. Once they get on an objective there will be 4-5 of each up and then they simply revive each other (the cooldown at the highest level practically nothing). I can see why revive and turrets are banned in competitive play.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

actionjackson posted:

I've been playing with some of the Team iD guys in pub matches to help my game. They like extended warzone. Unfortunately we are coming across a trend that teams will do. Basically everyone plays support and chooses only turrets or air drones. Once they get on an objective there will be 4-5 of each up and then they simply revive each other (the cooldown at the highest level practically nothing). I can see why revive and turrets are banned in competitive play.

They really need to bring back the two turret / drone limit per team thing. Or one drone / turret per 6 players or something.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lumpy posted:

They really need to bring back the two turret / drone limit per team thing. Or one drone / turret per 6 players or something.

Found this, give it 3 votes if you can

https://feedback.killzone.com/forums/228623-feature-additions-and-ideas/suggestions/5344574-bot-limit-for-both-teams

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N
Patch 1.09 is out! From the Killzone Blog:

Patch 1.09 posted:

Killzone Shadow Fall patch v1.09 has been released today. This update not only fixes various important bugs like the vc30 with the flashlight attachment and collision issues, but also marks the first step of our Clan system.
Here are some of the major new features we are delivering through Patch 1.09:

Clans
While already available through the website, the functionality is now also implemented in-game. You can invite clan members to a party and clantags are now also added to the player name within the game. It can be viewed in the player card, in the friendslist, etc. You can check your friendlist by pressing touchpad or check the player card through the main menu (go to multiplayer > choose a warzone > press square > show the leaderboard & find the player you are interested in > press cross to open the player card).

Warzone discoverability
We have visually changed the main menu of the Multiplayer and added a top-bar from which you can browse and create new warzones. Also, we expanded the number of recommended warzones to 9 and move the friendslist to the top-right corner. This should make it easier to discover new warzones.

New Warzone options: parties allowed
Players can now select the option to allow parties to join a warzone. Just go to Multiplayer > Create your warzone > go to settings with R1 > Check Parties Allowed at the bottom.

Checkpoint saving
We have added additional checkpoint saving to save on every revive event, giving more save points throughout the campaign.

Ability to lock to 30FPS in campaign mode
To guarantee a steadier framerate in the campaign mode, players can now lock their game to 30fps via the options menu.

VC30 exploit fixed
The exploit that let users with a VC30 equipped with the flashlight increase their range has been fixed.

Also, weve fixed some bugs that should improve overall performance and rid the game of some collision/exploits in various maps.

I've been looking for the "unimportant" changes that they don't list in the main post but I can't find one. At the very least I have noticed that meleeing while cloaked will never result in a Brutal Melee, which is a wonderful change.

The big change of course is that Clans are now ACTIVE, which means we need a Goon Clan! If anyone has a name suggestion post it!

Besides the changes implemented in this patch there is also a Changelog that Guerrilla has put up:

Guerrilla Changelog posted:

Issue /// Status

KZ2 style proximity chat /// Not at the moment
Clan System /// Will be rolled out in stages. First stage to appear in patch 1.09.
Customized Multiplayer Announcements /// Not at this time.
Hip Firing /// We are gathering telemetry and monitoring it closely. As it stands, we're not seeing a significant reason to change hip firing.
Overpowered Drones /// Our player data suggest we need to leave them as is.
In game party system /// This will not happen anytime soon.
Ammo supply boxes on the mini map /// This was added in 1.07
Official Classic 24 player warzone /// This is live since end of November.
Display K/D Ration for everyone /// Not at the moment. It is already possible to create leaderboards based on kills and deaths.
Co-op mode to have playable Helghast /// Not at the moment.
Ability to identify party members /// Has been implemented in patch 1.07.
In game voice chat /// Has been implemented in patch 1.07
Checkpoint saving /// In patch 1.07 we updated the interface to clarify checkpoint messages. As of patch 1.09, this will be completely fixed.
Character personalization /// We have added some personalization options through voice packs, drone skins and player cards. This will be it for the moment.
Ability to kill downed enemies /// We have investigated and decided not to proceed with this as it would have a huge impact on the use of the revive droid.
Grenade collision with invisible walls /// This was partly fixed with the 1.08 patch. It will completely be fixed with patch 1.09.
Assassination mode /// We have tested designs for this, but the gameplay wasn't up to the standards we would have liked. It would take too much resources to implement this.
Operations mode /// We have investigated this and there is no way we can do this efficient enough for our resource budget.
Deathmatch/Free For All Mode /// Not right now.
Classic Weapons Pack /// In development.
Squad Leader Spawn /// Not right now.
Turning on team chat by default /// This will be the case as of patch 1.09.
Spawn beacon primary ability for support /// Not right now.
Companion app /// We're not doing this right now, as we have a responsive site that should be able to show most of the functionality on any device.
Remapping controls /// We are currently gathering data on players wishes and will bring those in a forthcoming patch.
Split screen mode /// Not right now
Team balancing /// We have made some changes to the matchmaking algorithm based on our data.
Lag improvement /// We expanded our servers in South America and Asia (and are investigating the Middle East). This should improve the situation.
Sniper friendly map /// This will be part of our first DLC pack.

dashKADE fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 6, 2014

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Looks awesome. This weekend I hope to put a ton of time into KZSF. I gotta finish GTA5 first though!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Wasn't the SA clan always Helghoons?

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N

SubponticatePoster posted:

Wasn't the SA clan always Helghoons?

That's what it was! I was drawing a blank on what the hell the old name was. I vote to continue using it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I played a scrim with team iD, who of course are a million times more skilled than I am. Competitive rules are quite different as the following are not allowed:

turrets
airbots
missile attachment
revive
noob tube

It makes the game quite a bit more skill-based (which explains me finishing in last place)

quote:

Overpowered Drones /// Our player data suggest we need to leave them as is.

Not when the other team has 8-12 of them up at the same time, that poo poo ruins extended warzone

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N
:siren: HELGHOONS CLAN IS UP! Kinda! For the time being! :siren:

That wasn't supposed to happen. Accidentally created the Helghoon clan prematurely while trying to see if someone already had the name. So if anyone wants to join, search for "Helghoons" or post your PSN Username here and I'll send you an invite. If it's decided that we use a different name then this one can be dumped. My PSN Username is "Occoquan" if that's needed for anything.

actionjackson posted:

I played a scrim with team iD, who of course are a million times more skilled than I am. Competitive rules are quite different as the following are not allowed:

As much as I disagree about bots and all that jazz, I absolutely would prefer playing without drones, turrets, and the assorted launchers. At the very least I'd enjoy the option of playing "normally" or playing a decently populated "no automata" mode.

davecrazy posted:

Isint that the whole point of custom warzones?

It is but almost nobody plays the custom warzones. If Clan/Competitive matches start using No Automata rules then there will be a nice enough chunk of players for it to not be loaded with CPU-controlled players.

dashKADE fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 6, 2014

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Isint that the whole point of custom warzones?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

dashKADE posted:

:siren: HELGHOONS CLAN IS UP! Kinda! For the time being! :siren:

That wasn't supposed to happen. Accidentally created the Helghoon clan prematurely while trying to see if someone already had the name. So if anyone wants to join, search for "Helghoons" or post your PSN Username here and I'll send you an invite. If it's decided that we use a different name then this one can be dumped. My PSN Username is "Occoquan" if that's needed for anything.

If you guys want to use the website for anything, let me know. (http://www.helghoons.com/) Right now it's my old skill unlock calculator. There's a whole other "hidden" section for scheduling clan stuff which could be salvaged maybe, but :effort:

Also, invite me: veddermatic

Barraiya
Jun 3, 2010
Looking for an invite: UsurperTheBloody

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

Invite me too! scyron57

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N
Sent invites to all three of you, along with friend requests.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I just got the game but I'm interested: leidend

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I'll take an invite: Wacky_Delly_

I'll probably send out friend invites to y'all later.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm down to join. PSN: dpcv8

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
I'm in and will be on tomorrow afternoon. PSN: Dangerous_Movie

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N
Invites sent. I should be on sporadically throughout the day, trying to finish all my Ability unlocks. If anyone who gets on wants to trade Supply Boxes, I'm game.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
I'd love an invite to Helghoons. My ID is arthexavier.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Invite please. PSN is antipax

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N
Sent, sent, sent. Now, it's a bit confusing how this is all supposed to work. Clans can only be made through the Killzone site and as far as I can tell the site is also the only way to invite people. You might have to go to the site in order to accept a clan invite, I'm not entirely sure. If that is the case, go here and log in to your PSN account. You should be able to see invites in the clan tab. Good luck.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Mattavist

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

The web site keeps bugging out when I try and accept the invite.

e: I'm in.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I had no problem accepting the invite from the site. Thanks

• Locked thread