Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Glad that cringe game came back, it's a great theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Ohhh, so that's what Sarah Palin looks like without makeup...

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

comes along bort posted:

Making fun of Singled Out will never get old.

Well it'll probably get old at some point.

It's hard to see Chris Hardwick as anything other than a winner if you compare him to his Singled Out cohost. Then again that would be true even if he were still a bloated alcoholic road comic.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The show continues to be really loving funny. Patton Oswalt was hilarious tonight. Also, he has comedians on that people may not of heard of but are still really loving funny. Plus the show's pretty simple, I like it a lot and hope it sticks around.

I mean other than Key and Peele , out of the new shows I'd rather have this than Jizzneck/jugglecock whatever show which is just horrible.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

OH MY GOD tomorrow night's show has Scott Aukerman and Matt Besser. Holy poo poo I can't wait.

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV
@Midnight has turned out fairly consistently great so far. I'm not sure if Comedy Central ever replays it but Chris Hardwick's standup special Mandroid was pretty hilarious too.

Also, his All Star Celebrity Bowling show is always fun, with great guests.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4F5986B34F73F112

And finally, he and Mike Phirman did a perfect medley of Radiohead songs in bluegrass style called Rodeohead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BGFAP6JJrk

So I forgive the fact that he may be over saturating with the tv presence lately.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Those Talking ___ shows are the easiest thing in the world who wouldn't milk that poo poo for all its worth?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

This is basically a video podcast featuring the standard podcasting comedians; why wouldn't it be great?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

good lord this show is amazing

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
In the intro to today's Nerdist podcast, Hardwick listed off a bunch of people who will be on @Midnight in coming weeks (There will possibly be repeats from the OP):

Jonah Ray
Scott Aukerman
Steve Agee
Natasha Leggero
Rhys Darby
Ron Funches
The Sklar Brothers
Paul F. Tompkins
John Hodgman
Rob Delaney
Grace Helbig
David Koechner

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ashpanash posted:

This is basically a video podcast featuring the standard podcasting comedians; why wouldn't it be great?

Exactly, and like the better of those podcasts it has a structure for them to riff off of.

Regarding Hardwick hate, his on air persona is obnoxious. He's like a bad radio morning DJ. Hardwick is someone who I want to avoid because he's so annoying in voice, mannerism, behavior, laughter, and jokes.

I noticed they were ignoring the buzzers this time which made for a better show. Maybe that's a temporary thing while they fix them properly.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I could understand the host hatred if it was Ryan Seacrest or something, but Chris gets some pretty good jokes in as well. I think he's doing a pretty good job handling the comedians.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Random Stranger posted:

Exactly, and like the better of those podcasts it has a structure for them to riff off of.

Regarding Hardwick hate, his on air persona is obnoxious. He's like a bad radio morning DJ. Hardwick is someone who I want to avoid because he's so annoying in voice, mannerism, behavior, laughter, and jokes.

I noticed they were ignoring the buzzers this time which made for a better show. Maybe that's a temporary thing while they fix them properly.

They should switch the buzzers out for real bells, though I can't be sure it wouldn't break their budget at this point.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Oh, hey, Moshie Koshie slash Moisie Kaiser is on in a few days! That should be fun. What sucks is that this launched right when Pete Holmes' new show was starting and Anthony Jeselnik's on winter tour between Jeselnik Offensive runs so those two would be hard to wrangle onto the show.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah let's keep Jeselnik as far away from this as possible. It's actually funny.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I liked the episode I saw but I dont know if it has lasting power.. There are only so many people in the "scene" that I think they will run into the problem of repeating guests a lot or something.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
So excited for Paul F. Tompkins' appearance on this (and if you aren't, you obviously don't listen to enough podcasts). Good one last night, pumped for Besser and Stop Clockerman tonight (right after The Chris Gethard Show too).

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

comes along bort posted:

Yeah let's keep Jeselnik as far away from this as possible. It's actually funny.

A: Shut up. B: Shut up, Jeselnik is awesome. C: Shut up.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

poser posted:

I liked the episode I saw but I dont know if it has lasting power.. There are only so many people in the "scene" that I think they will run into the problem of repeating guests a lot or something.

I would've guessed the bigger problem is running 4 days a week they'd run out of material to riff on, but apparently not. The whole comedy/podcast thing is so incestuous anyway and it hasn't yet seemed to hit its saturation point, even if they only have a pool of 30 or so comics to pull from, it'll probably be fine. It certainly hasn't hurt all the British panel shows and they only have like 20 people on tv there in total.

Also they really need to get Brett Gelman.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Palooka posted:

And finally, he and Mike Phirman did a perfect medley of Radiohead songs in bluegrass style called Rodeohead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BGFAP6JJrk

I've had this on my computer for years and I never knew it was Hardwick.

Now I can say I was a fan of his even before I first saw him on Craig Ferguson :3:

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Nice to see that this show is getting some pretty drat good ratings by the way, so expect it to last a little while

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Singled Out 90s Chris Hardwick is much better than over excited about everything walking dead Chris Hardwick.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Nice, Grace Helbig! :allears:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Random Stranger posted:

Nailed it.

Continually interesting alt comedy lineups are making this show, that pending list is fun.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
"Am I racist if I give you points for that"

"Yes you are."

"Ok then. Points!"

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Mash Up finally has a successor to the title of Funny Show That Will Get Cancelled Because of the Time Slot. It's a long title.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I love tonight shows because Matt Besser is on and I love him. Like seriously he has loving great awesome guest. It's not just these weird celebrities etc.. on here.

It get's like 500,000 viewers a show so it's not doing terrible for that time slot for a Comedy Central Show.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 31, 2013

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
You guys really enjoy all the fake overlaughing at all the lame prewritten jokes?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's not actually prewritten, they do answer a good bit though and try to pick the best "answers" , IE they do it more than once for each group then pick the best one.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Hollis posted:

It's not actually prewritten, they do answer a good bit though and try to pick the best "answers" , IE they do it more than once for each group then pick the best one.
So there's some content cut down to make it fit a 30 minute slot? Interesting.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm sure there are a lot of answers that are given that they don't use because they aren't funny.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

JT Jag posted:

So there's some content cut down to make it fit a 30 minute slot? Interesting.

Yeah, you can see the scores jump randomly sometimes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm sure there are a lot of answers that are given that they don't use because they aren't funny.
It's probably better that way.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

weas posted:

You guys really enjoy all the fake overlaughing at all the lame prewritten jokes?

I'm curious to hear more about what you think is going on on this show.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Tuned in for Matt Besser, left satisfied. Get that man on all TV shows

"Did you emerge from Paula Deen's pussy?"

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Really enjoying this show and I'm glad I'm not the only Chris Hardwick fan, never understood why people hate him so much.

I really loved Talking Bad and wish it had been around for the whole shows run. Getting to hear about and see the behind the scenes stuff was really cool. I loved getting to see the actors talk about their roles too, especially on Talking Bad. I would have made Talking Bad an hour long and Talking Dead a half hour though.

I appreciate Hardwick's hosting, even if he's a bit overzealous sometimes. I'd much rather watch a real, honest fan of the show talk and interview people over someone who was just given a synopsis of the episode a half hour before the show comes on the air and a list of pre-planned discussion topics the host would be lost if they deviated from. Him being an overzealous fan, irritating as it can at times be, makes him a better host in my opinion.

amaranthine posted:

It's not "jealous hate", it's the fact that Chris Hardwick is the host of Talking Bad, Talking Dead, and probably a show called Talking Mad in the not-so-distant future. All of those shows are symptoms of the problem that AMC, a network which made some really great shows before tripping over its dick repeatedly in the past few years (The Killing, Rubicon, Comic Book Men, Low Winter Sun, Hell On Wheels, et cetera), has run out of ideas. It is reduced to fishing for residual ratings by having a guy talk to Marilyn Manson and Jack Osbourne for an hour.

And Chris Hardwick is that guy. He is the face of the slow death of AMC. When people express their distaste for him, that is why.

This show helps me hate him less, though, so that's nice.

What? This is just stupid. He hosted two after shows and now he's to blame for everything you hate about AMC? He's on for an hour a week after Walking Dead yet somehow the onus of every bad or irritating move/show AMC has made is on Chris Hardwick? Not to mention the fact that of all the shows you listed (side from Rubicon) Talking Bad/Dead is far more interesting.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I like the show! Although, as I think someone mentioned as well, I can't hear a thing Hardwick is saying when they play the guitar riff before commercials or when the show ends. Not really a big deal as it's just an outro, but it seems dumb to try and plug someones twitter or other stuff during that part.

Good by-*guitar riff* follow*riff*...witter*riff*...post on twi...*riff*

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Hardwick is very aware of how annoying those shows can be

http://www.ifc.com/comedy-bang-bang/videos/comedy-bang-bang-comedy-talk-talk-with-chris-hardwick

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I don't think the shows themselves are irritating so much as how they promote them with all the stupid hashtags and spots during the commercials. The actual show in and of itself are interesting if they could get rid of the other crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

KilGrey posted:

I don't think the shows themselves are irritating so much as how they promote them with all the stupid hashtags and spots during the commercials. The actual show in and of itself are interesting if they could get rid of the other crap.

It's not really the shows' or AMC's fault though. That stuff actually matters to people who make decisions. That's just the world we live in now. And if we want to talk about the poo poo advertising and those corporations responsible for advertising are to blame for, annoying us with internet buzzwords is pretty goddamn low on that list.

• Locked thread