Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

This is basically a video podcast featuring the standard podcasting comedians; why wouldn't it be great?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Looks like Rob Delaney dropped out and it'll be Kurt Braunohler in his place tonight.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Rumor is that @midnight got picked up for more. Also there's this article:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-midnight-comedy-central-20131108,0,1659998.story#axzz2kfeMDyvf

Apparently (as we guessed) the comedians are given the topics an hour or so in advance, which is fine to me. It's about the jokes, not necessarily the spontaneity.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/comedy-centrals-midnight-gets-40-week-pickup/

40 week pickup. That's a year, basically. 12 weeks off, similar to TDS/Colbert.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I think Tuesday's episode shows how thin a veneer the "game show" really is, and that's a good thing.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

All we know is that the "contestants" are given some of the materials (like for the fast challenges) an hour or two before taping to come up with some lines. Things like rapid refresh, I imagine, aren't revealed to them.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

There are some awesome eps coming up, and some that are just weird:

http://on-camera-audiences.com/shows/midnight

Feb 19th is a UCB reunion minus Amy Poehler. That should be amazing.

Feb 26th: Andy Daly, Rob Corddry & Natasha Leggero Holy poo poo!

Weird:

Feb 25th: Alison Brie, Gillian Jacobs, & Jim Rash - Umm, Community show? These aren't comedians...

March 10th: Kevin Smith, Jason Mewes, & Ralph Garman - Oh no.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

That's all well and good, but there's a difference between working with trained improvisors (whose job it is to elevate everyone, not just themselves) and being in a straight comedy competition without a net.

I know Gillian Jacobs has been in some amazing CBB episodes, but she was there with PFT, Hot Saucerman, and an environment conducive to non-comedians.

Who knows. Maybe they'll partner with a writer or something. But like I said, it's not guaranteed to be bad - it's just gonna be weird.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oh poo poo, Matt Besser should be very interesting.

That's the original UCB minus Amy Poehler. Would be funny to see if she shows up on skype or something.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Look at that Wednesday lineup, Jesus Christ.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

This is going to be a great week, and I cannot wait to see what celebs they get to do guest spots. I'm not sure if Kit or the guy from True Blood were the best so far.

They all go on these dumb press tours when their movies are coming out. Usually it's 6 hours of sitting in a room while new idiots come in every fifteen minutes and ask the most banal, obvious questions for their dumb local tv station shows. It seems like a pretty easy deal to get some interns from Comedy Central to go in there and ask them to just do this silly little thing. They probably appreciate the break in the monotony.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Looks like another great loving week coming up...

March 3rd:
Chris Jericho, Andy Kindler, & Kumail Nanjiani

March 4th:
Al Madrigal, Randy Sklar & Jason Sklar

March 5th- 1st show:
Paul F. Tompkins, Paul Scheer & Maria Bamford

March 5th- 2nd show:
Doug Benson, Michaela Watkins & Rob Huebel

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Here's this week's upcoming schedule, and as always, subject to change:

March 10th:
Kevin Smith, Jason Mewes, & Ralph Garman!

March 11th:
Dominic Monaghan, Howard Kremer, & Kulap Vilaysack!

March 12th- 1st show:
Wil Wheaton, Matt Mira, & Jonah Ray!

March 12th- 2nd show:
Nikki Glaser, Steve Agee, & Kyle Kinane!

Just going by the names, I don't expect it to be nearly as amazing a week as last week. And Monday is the episode we've all been dreading.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

It's 2014, everyone has a podcast.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

The show is really at its best when there's a palpable sense that everyone is having a great time. That's why the Community episode worked so well when I didn't expect it to. That cast has great chemistry with each other and were just enjoying themselves.

David Spade was the anti-fun.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

In repeats all next week.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Here's this week's schedule:

quote:

March 24th:
W. Kamau Bell, Hannibal Buress, & Eliza Skinner

March 25th:
Todd Barry, Mike Lawrence, & Jenny Johnson

March 26th - 1st show:
Neal Brennan, Dan Levy & more TBD

March 26th - 2nd show:
Greg Proops, Michelle Buteau, & Ben Kroberg

I think that lineup already changed at least once since I last looked at it, so again, it's tentative. But I can't wait to see TBD! I want TBD! Is that new?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

The Piper posted:

according to TV guide's website the TBD on the March 26th show is now Whitney Cummings.

Well here's the latest update:

quote:

March 26th - 1st show:
Neal Brennan, Dan Levy & Michelle Buteau

March 26th - 2nd show:
Greg Proops, Ben Kroberg & Megan Neuringer

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Seriously, holy poo poo boobs. Who wears that to a comedy show taping?

It's LA.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Next week:

MONDAY 4/28
• Sara Schaefer @saraschaefer1
• Matt Braunger @Braunger
• Mark Normand @marknorm

TUESDAY 4/29
• Jason Sklar @SklarBrothers
• Randy Sklar @SklarBrothers
• Kyle Kinane @kylekinane

WEDNESDAY 4/30
• Rove McManus @Rove
• Adam Cayton-Holland @CaytonHolland
• Baron Vaughn @baron_vaughn

THURSDAY 5/1
• Nikki Glaser @NikkiGlaser
• Jim Gaffigan @JimGaffigan
• Todd Glass @ToddGlass

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

PassTheRemote posted:

WEDNESDAY 7/23
• Jonah Ray @jonahray
• Emily Gordon @thegynomite
• Kumail Nanjiani @kumailn

I think Wednesday will be great if only because of Kumail. I think he's in that weird comedy culture Pryor/Carlin/Rock/Chappelle period right now where everything he says is loving funny. It doesn't last forever, but right now he's on fire.

Plus, it'll be hilarious to see him have to destroy his wife in the game.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

It's not much of a surprise, but @midnight is renewed through 2015.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/midnight-chris-hardwick-comedy-central-1201280418/

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

KilGrey posted:

Is there any particular reason this show follows The Daily Shows schedule?

Don't know for sure, but it probably has something to do with the possibility of a ratings drop with when there's a repeat instead of a new episode as your lead-in. Combine that with the recognition that hey, every show has to take breaks now and then, and here you are.

Would the ratings be significantly different? Someone in CC's programing dept. probably thinks so.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

swickles posted:

I hope the show is entirely Hardwick bad at sex and tiny dick jokes.

She still does a podcast on the Nerdist network so at least their split was seemingly amicable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

He's also trying to sell tickets to his standup events and other things, so it benefits him to show that he's not just a limpdick host who relies on other people to be funny.

I mean, whether you find him funny or not is besides the point - some people do. And there's nothing at stake, this isn't a real gameshow. Of course he wants to perform.

• Locked thread