Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Really enjoying this show and I'm glad I'm not the only Chris Hardwick fan, never understood why people hate him so much.

I really loved Talking Bad and wish it had been around for the whole shows run. Getting to hear about and see the behind the scenes stuff was really cool. I loved getting to see the actors talk about their roles too, especially on Talking Bad. I would have made Talking Bad an hour long and Talking Dead a half hour though.

I appreciate Hardwick's hosting, even if he's a bit overzealous sometimes. I'd much rather watch a real, honest fan of the show talk and interview people over someone who was just given a synopsis of the episode a half hour before the show comes on the air and a list of pre-planned discussion topics the host would be lost if they deviated from. Him being an overzealous fan, irritating as it can at times be, makes him a better host in my opinion.

amaranthine posted:

It's not "jealous hate", it's the fact that Chris Hardwick is the host of Talking Bad, Talking Dead, and probably a show called Talking Mad in the not-so-distant future. All of those shows are symptoms of the problem that AMC, a network which made some really great shows before tripping over its dick repeatedly in the past few years (The Killing, Rubicon, Comic Book Men, Low Winter Sun, Hell On Wheels, et cetera), has run out of ideas. It is reduced to fishing for residual ratings by having a guy talk to Marilyn Manson and Jack Osbourne for an hour.

And Chris Hardwick is that guy. He is the face of the slow death of AMC. When people express their distaste for him, that is why.

This show helps me hate him less, though, so that's nice.

What? This is just stupid. He hosted two after shows and now he's to blame for everything you hate about AMC? He's on for an hour a week after Walking Dead yet somehow the onus of every bad or irritating move/show AMC has made is on Chris Hardwick? Not to mention the fact that of all the shows you listed (side from Rubicon) Talking Bad/Dead is far more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I don't think the shows themselves are irritating so much as how they promote them with all the stupid hashtags and spots during the commercials. The actual show in and of itself are interesting if they could get rid of the other crap.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

His 'Pierre' voice reminds me of Cleveland from Family Guy.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

EccoRaven posted:

I get the impression much/most of it is improvised, so the stuff they don't show is likely just stuff that bombed, and not even in a very funny way, just in a normal, human way.

The contestants get the questions before the show and write down a bunch of answers to them. That doesn't bother me so much but it really irks me when you see one of the contestants obviously reading off of their cheat sheet in front of them.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

bigE posted:

The audience was pretty much all on Kristen's side. She got absolutely hosed on the Left 4 Dead POINTS!

Nah, all of those answers were awesome. Ang Lee Birds was hilarious and clever.

I don't think Kristen dropped the ball this episode so much as everyone was just really good. Great panel.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

GraPar posted:

Speaking of, some of you guys definitely take the points and such way too seriously.

Yeah, to me the shows not about the points or the game/contest at all. That's just the vehicle to get a bunch of people together to make jokes and be funny. Someone earlier in the thread made a good parallel to Whose Line is it Anyway, how the points are made up and don't matter.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Midnight City posted:

I'd be lying if I said seeing how prepared it is isn't taking some of the shine off it for me.

It kind of irked me at first too but then I realized they have to make sure the show has a chance at being at least semi-funny. The contestants are still individually making their own jokes, they just aren't as off the cuff. It's not like they are collaborating or having the material written for them. They have to strike a balance between not being totally rehearsed and making sure an entire nights work isn't wasted because no one could make a funny while on the spot. The comedians can still improvise and riff if they want too, but it's good to already have something in their pocket if they need it. I just wish some of them weren't so obviously reading off a cheat sheet in front of them. That's what takes me out of the moment.

Also, I really want to see Norm MacDonald on the show.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 12, 2014

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I want Tom Lennon on all the time, and I want him to lose every time.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Who cares if someone is an old school comedian or an e-celebrity comedian? As long as they are funny, that's all that matters. It's not like this is a super serious show. One of my favorite parts is discovering funny people I hadn't heard about before.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

What's the story behind this? Joke theft?

Basically they both had internet clip shows and Tosh would be really antagonistic toward Hardwick. He would make fun of him frequently on his show and Twitter. Not so much anymore but it was frequent when Hardwick was hosting The Soup.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Fateo McMurray posted:

I've never heard Hardwick say anything about it. Just sounds like it's Tosh doing his rear end in a top hat brand of comedy.

Hardwick always took the highroad and never replied when Tosh would direct Twitter comments at him.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Is there any particular reason this show follows The Daily Shows schedule?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Is it just me or does Chris mention Lemon Party a lot?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

The middle podium drives me nuts because it's out of alignment with the other two. My OCD wigs out every time they do a long shot of the stage.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I remember hearing the joke several times as a little kid and not understanding it. Then hearing it again as a teenager and having one of those "OOOOOHHHH" moments. I just assumed you boys were like my Ken dolls when I was little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

EricFate posted:

And I just realized I'm getting Moshe Kasher mixed up with Blaine Capatch. That makes more sense now. Now that I go back and look at some of Moshe's other episodes, he actually is consistently funny.

Before I saw him on the show with his name written on the podium in front of him, I though he went by the stage name Motion Capture. :downs:

• Locked thread