Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I am the 1%. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Ouch. That's about what AT&T offers in the area. They're just not even trying.

I had Time Warner for about 6 months before the install and probably called them every other month due to a down line. I can't same Time Warner's trying either, besides stepping up their ads.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Cenodoxus posted:

Did you just get installed? What's your fiberhood?

My deadline was May 15th. Two days later I got an email saying "Congratulations! See you in a few months when we're ready to install."

I am quickly discovering in these 2-3 months the myriad reasons I hate Time Warner Cable. :smithicide:

I've had it since December actually. I moved into the Indian Creek and Linden Hills Fiberhood last June and signed up then.
They started construction October and put in some underground fiber in a few spots and didn't get around to hooking up the lines on the poles behind me around October-November.
I still haven't quite gotten used to the feeling of buying something off Steam and having it ready to go a few minutes later.

Not sure how long I'm staying at my current place though. Actually looking to buy a house in a year maybe and I'm hoping they'll keep having periodic openings or they open it up completely once most of the major Fiberhood lines are in.

xergm fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 25, 2014

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I haven't got a clue how long it is from planning to rollout, the fiberhood had already met it's goal and was pretty far along before I got here.
I just signed up before they closed the deadline. If the deadline hasn't passed and you're still in the voting stages, it'll probably be a while.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Cenodoxus posted:

I guess everyone always assumed that they would be covering the entire KC Metro area (KCK, KCMO, North Kansas City, Lee's Summit, Gladstone, Independence, Olathe, Lenexa, etc.), and they've been correct in that assumption thus far.

Well, except Overland Park, but that had more to do with their city counsel dragging their feet. I bet Google will get there eventually, but not before the rest of the metro is connected.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
As I mentioned, Overland Park resisted, but I think they just wanted more money, even though every other community in the entire metro approached by Google jumped at the idea.

As for the ISPs, Time Warner has added a new tier only for their KC to try to compete, but other than that, they've just stepped up on annoying radio ads. (Really though, how can 100/5 compete with 1000/1000?). It was hard not to laugh when I cancelled my Time Warner connection. The customer service rep actually tried to convince me that they're technicians are available far less available hours, that its reliability hasn't been proven, and that just because it's faster doesn't mean it's better (HA!).

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I guess it depends on neighborhood. The only crap I get is the occasional TWC or AT&T junkmail advertising for satellite customers to switch to their low rates. Nevermind the fact that I don't subscribe to TV now, nor did I when I had TWC.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Heck, I've had some SpeedTest servers be too slow, where my connection is faster than they can send receive data.

I'm definitely the exception though with Google Fiber. Although at this speed, my downloads are more likely to be slowed by my hard drive throughput more than anything else.

socketwrencher posted:

Also, is there any way to figure out how much data is being used when watching movies on Netflix? I'm about to go with ATT with a 250 gb cap. Thanks for any help on this.

Some routers will do it. Anything with DD-WRT on it will give you bandwidth statistics in a nice graph, showing daily downloads and uploads as well as a monthly total.

You AT&T account might do it too. If they can list all my phone usage, I'd assume they could do the same for a capped internet line.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Fellow gigabit brother! :hfive:

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I had that happen when I was on Time Warner. Turned out the connection to the pole was bad because the last tech screwed up the connect.

Took forever for them to get a guy out, but once they did, he was able to connect a diagnostic tool to the run and see the signal numbers for himself. A quick climb up the pole, and he had my internet sorted out.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I've been looking at what people are replacing their Google Fiber provided router with, and the Edgerouter Lite seems to be a popular option. I would certainly expect it would let you max out a gigabit connection if people are playing with it in Google Fiber.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Pretty much, it's 802.11ac or bust.

I'm stuck with their 1st generation network box which only supports up to 802.11n. I'm curious if I could get the newer one that supports 802.11ac if I ask real nice.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
DirectTV is satellite, would it even be connected to the outside line? The DSL is over the phone line, their TVs and the home cabling are hooked up to the dish, so the outside cable line should be free and not connected to anything, right?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Yes, but the other end of that cable usually enters the house and goes to a splitter, You should be able to disconnect it from the splitter, and connect it directly to the cable that runs to your room. The cable company would hook it back up at the distribution end, and your modem would have a straight path to the cable network with nothing in-between.

Unless their wiring is something crazy that can't be disconnected at the splitter, there shouldn't need to be a new line run at all. I've never seen a cable setup that wasn't hooked up to a splitter. Everything I've seen can be disconnected at the customer end as well as at the service end.

It might be useful to figure out where the cable is distributed inside (or outside, inside a plastic service box in my case) the house and take a picture of it.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Plan Z posted:

The deal is that there was once the main line plugged into basic splitters, but when they got DirecTV, the company put down their own proprietary special splitter, which is why I get no connectivity through my room's coax. It feels weird that they would unplug the main cable line from the original splitter to put it into the DirecTV splitter if it's pointless to do so. I can fiddle around with it to see if the cable is necessary, which it would seem shouldn't be the case now that you mention it (complaining aside, I like them both a lot, but they get a weird sense of ego mixed into the things they buy). I'll just have to fiddle when they go to bed. I've been reading the manuals, and I know what's safe to pull out and try. Reminds me of what I loved and hated about working maintenance in a big hotel.

Yeah, if you can figure out which line your room is and hook it back up to the cable company's outside line, you should be good to go. Unfortunately, if they didn't have the foresight to label the lines, that may take some trial and error. A good opportunity to be a good tenant and label them while you're at it if you're already going through the trouble.

This also means you won't have satellite to your room, but having fast internet seems more important to you, and you'd actually have the bandwidth for things like Netflix.

At least the satellite company didn't just straight up cut the line. I've found a few DirectTV label cables around my house, so I assume it must've had satellite at some point. The line that runs from the splitter to the customer disconnect was straight up cut. It's after the customer service box though, so it's just a matter of running a new cable. I have fiber though, so I'll probably never bother to fix it.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Sounds like you're renting from a pretty awesome couple. In the end, it'll all come down to whatever Comcast wants to do, but that all looks pretty good if you've got a main line.

They should be able to do a new run for you, and if the couple ever rents to someon else, it'll probably be better in the long run to already be set up for that.

That picture brings back horrible memories. I found a wasp nest in my box too when I went to check out all how all the lines were run when I put in a pair of MOCA adapters. They must love making nests in those things for some reason.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Awesome news, Plan Z!. Welcome to the modern world! :science:

I'm glad you finally got it all figured out and getting a tech out there to look at it was all it took to get everything sorted out.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Do you see a lot of access points from your neighbors' wifi? What kind of wifi settings can you change on the Uverse router? Does it support the 5ghz band?

You won't need AC for only 25mbps, but the problem is likely due to a crowded 2.4ghz band. If you have an Android phone, you can check with something like Wifi Analyzer.
If your neighborhood is anything like mine, 2.4ghz is crowded, and people who don't know any better stray away from channels 1, 6, and 11 and cause overlapping and interference with other signals.

Your best bet may be to try the 5ghz band and see if that helps. I don't know if your Uverse router supports it, but you definitely don't need to spring the extra cash on AC unless you're doing some bandwidth intensive tasks on your local network. You should be aware that 5ghz has less penetration, so it may not reach the far corners of your house as well.

xergm fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 14, 2016

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
That could also be the case. I would also try copying a file locally and compare the kind of speeds you're getting.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Is it any surprise one of those people is fishmech?

Walked posted:

Anyone have any tips for FIOS at new construction? One off build that they dont have the address as showing in-service, but the house both left and right do. Any suggestions for how to get in touch with "engineering" (which is about all that google can tell me)

This one may just come down to patience. If your address isn't in the system yet, the lowest rung on the tech support chain is probably not going to be of much help. Probably the best thing you can do is to keep climbing the customer support ladder until you get someone in engineering.

How new is the house? Have you moved in or is there still work being done? In either case, they'll probably have to run a new line, so you may have to wait awhile even if you do get a hold of the right person who can help you.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Awesome! I always forget about the Twitter option. It's probably the one thing that would finally get me to make a Twitter account.

I guess since anything posted there is public companies tend to bend over backward when it comes to customer support over Twitter.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Flaky? As a Google Fiber customer, I've had it go out a total of once over the couple years I've had it, and it was a major outage that lasted only a couple hours. The speed has been amazingly consistent.

The only people insisting otherwise are the Time Warner and AT&T guys who keep going around the neighborhood trying to get people to switch.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

jeeves posted:

What type of computer are you testing from? ~930 is pretty much close to theoretical max speed on a gig port after Ethernet frame overhead.

I think I might have hit the actual limit.

I have no idea how to go back to regular internet if I have to. I'm already impatient that my fresh CrashPlan backup is taking days.

xergm fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Gaming PC. I've got a i7 6800k and the motherboard network chipset is Intel.

Most gaming motherboards seem to have better network chipsets as long as it's not a budget board.

• Locked thread