Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I cannot express how happy I am that I managed to move into an apartment in NYC that actually gets Optimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I would feel really awkward using my employers WAN connection as my primary home internet.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Siochain posted:

No. I've never seen a decent satellite connection - at best same'ish download, maybe better upload, but 200+ms ping.
Satellite is poo poo.

Satellite is just massively limited by the physical connection.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

thechalkoutline posted:

Is pointless bragging allowed here? The company network!

Why is the upload so pedestrian?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Geemer posted:

As far as I know it is pretty common here in Europe to have high download speeds and moderate upload speeds.
The ISPs explain it by saying that the actual network bandwidth is limited and people prefer download speeds over upload speeds, so they shift the balance.

And let's be real here, normal internet usage is mainly a downstream affair and you don't need to be able to upload at 100 mbit. And if you want to stream your mad laning carry or whatever it is in DOTA to Twitch.tv in HD you still don't need more than 3 mbit if you're doing it right.

So I'm guessing that that company is just being smart and not spending money on upload capacity they won't use.

I just figured that Activision's company network would need good upload and wouldn't skimp on it regardless given that they've invested in a plan with 700 down. I mean, that's a slower upload than my home cable connection.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Wait, your option for DSL was more or equally as expensive as your cable option? And you went to DSL?

TWC sucks, but ughhhhhh DSL.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Eonwe posted:

Is it possible that I had a faulty NIC that was just spamming the hell out of my network? I got a new computer a couple days ago and I haven't had a single internet outage. Prior to this, it was an every day thing. This persisted through Time Warner replacing the cabling outside, the modem, the cable inside, etc.

It is possible.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CCheshire posted:

Do you mean for Cable or Verizon? I haven't experienced any issues streaming videos atm but it looks very slow from compared to my friend who has the same ISP 65/40.

That's slower than every single Optimum connection I've ever seen/used, and I grew up on Long Island, so that would mean every single internet connection around. Definitely call them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think that's their normal tier service, actually.

I thought they started at closer to 30 down.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Most places will do the install free or deeply discounted when you sign a 3 or 5 year contract. Do keep in mind that you're gonna be paying north of $1k a month for the service.

I have a feeling this is gonna be a "Well we don't want to pay more than residential ISP pricing!" situations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SirPhoebos posted:

My internet has been making GBS threads itself for the last few days. Everything will be running fine and then everything disconnects for anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes. What's weird is that my router lights and task bar icons indicate everything is fine. Comcast is sending a technician out Wednesday, but in the meantime, what are some good diagnostic tools I can use to see what the issue is?

Open two command prompts an ping your router IP and google.com with the -t flag, that will run them indefinitely. You will likely see the google.com ping time out, but the router IP ping will be fine.

I've found that is usually enough to get TWC and Verizon to admit the problem might be on their end. I assume it's enough for Comcast, too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SirPhoebos posted:

Would you mind walking me through how to do this?

I assume you're on Windows.

1) Hit Win-R to bring up the Run window
2) Type in "cmd" (without quotes) and hit enter
3) In the command prompt window, type "ping google.com -t" (again, without quotes) and hit enter. You should see something like this:

4) Repeat steps 1-3, except instead of "google.com", you type in your router's IP address.

Then just let them run while you do whatever, the -t flag will keep the pings going until you manually stop them. When you run into the internet issue, check the windows. The one pinging google.com will probably say "Connection timed out" instead of "Reply from..." while the router one will be fine.

The takeaway from this is that the problem is on the ISP side of the router (or that your router is busted but that's less likely I would say.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

It also rules out poo poo like "have you changed your wi-fi channel?" and "OK now let's go ahead and clear your browser cache". It clearly shows the issue is not on the side of the router that is your problem.

Yeah, being able to categorically state the results of that ping check is by far the fastest way to get somebody to actually look at the line instead of reading a script at you.

• Locked thread