Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Majumbo posted:

I spent a week as a level 60 PLD getting my AF armor and it was fun af

FFXI is a lot of fun. I am glad you enjoyed your week as a 60 pld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Kithyen posted:

Yea I remember some of the mats were expensive for the gobbie bag and I used the gobbie stew for a few of them. Re-subbed to try and finish up all the storyline missions I never got around to as well as Rhapsodies and I forgot how much of a slog a lot of the adoulin questlines/missions are.

SoA and RoV fights towards the end can be a pain if you are not a certain jobs or have good gear.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Yeah you want to stay as up to date with RoV as possible. The benefits the key items give are just incredible. Makes everything just way faster/easier.

Being able to have five trust out at once is worth it just by itself. The Curio Moogles sell echo drops, eye drops, prism powders, sneak oils, food, etc. The list goes on.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

DizzyBum posted:

Just started the Magicite mission and hoo boy I forgot how stupid the pre-reqs are for that. You have to collect all those key items that let you get through the beastmen strongholds. And you have to go to Beadeaux twice because of the two NMs you have to kill there. At least now it's actually fun to push through an area filled with hostile mobs with your own personal army.

That is a fun part. You also have access to go to go and survival guide warps. That makes traveling a bit easier.

Shinjobi posted:

Got my Herculean Gloves finally.

Reisenjima's augment system is horse balls.

It is slightly better than the alluvion armor and weapon augment system. Cheaper and the stones are easier to farm are the only reasons why it is better.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Holyshoot posted:

is gear swapping still a big thing? When I played a year ago on my WHM I had a bunch of different gear depending on what I was doing. Like I had a set for pre cast. mid cast and when the heal landed. As well as for buffing and other stuff. Also I read they made assault tags reset after 10 mins and salvage cool down 1 hour. Did they adjust einherjar or is that still a once a day thing iirc and requires at least 3-4 people?

And who do I hit up for an LS invite? IG name is Tonic once this game finishes updating.

Gear swapping is still a thing. There is even a windower4 addon called Gearswap. You write or copypasta a lua file and then you can easily swap gear like a professional. Your best bet to get a linkpearl is to post in this thread when you are done downloading the game. Tell us the time you are going to play. Or you could just bug Frod. He loves to give out linkpearls. Just make sure to bug him as much as possible. He is often afk and only responds to /tells.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Holyshoot posted:

Apparently if you play this game on a 1440p monitor you're not getting above 15fps. Changed it to 1080 and I can get 60 fps with the config plugin from windower 4.

PS2 Limitations and working as intended

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Eight-Six posted:

I'm gearing up my Scholar and am almost done with getting the best non-escha gear I can get (fast cast, MAB/MACC/MBD stuff), mostly just missing AF3 feet and the Tenzen necklace, and maybe a few macc pieces that I'm still looking over. That being said, as a 8 JP holder, what all am I gonna be expected to juggle in an Apex party? I figure I'll at least be spreading storm spells, either Thunderstorm because Thunder V/VI is the strongest, or Hailstorm for the INT bonus, but anything else? Are kills slow enough to where I'll actually be getting stratagems back mid-fight? Am I going to be the sole MB maker? AoE regen?

That depends on the party. You can be soloing all the way 6manning apex mobs. Usually a sch will be making skillchains so all the mages can magic burst. Sch can heal, enfeeb, nuke, aspir, buff, etc. The better you are at doing your job as sch the better the group will be. Just hope that you do not group up with someone named Concise on the Asura server. That guy had his head kicked in by a donkey.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Majumbo posted:

CoP is still the best and most Final Fantasy story
CoP, WotG, SoA, RoV, ToAU, are too Final Fantasy. I like the cut scenes but they are pure cheese and verbose.

Necrosaro posted:

So the Stockholm syndrome has relapsed on me again and I bought the newest expansion on steam. Getting the game to work with Windows 10 was dumb, but it works now. And my past self was smart enough to save my macros to the server. I would really hate to redo all those Bard / Whm macro books for every level range.

Is everyone still on Asura server? My characters name is Muris and I need a linkpearl.
Asura is the FFXI server with the highest population right now. That is mostly a good thing, unless you are trying to be a farm whore and farm yourself some leaping boots.

Sprite141 posted:

Ok so I'm just getting crap installed and getting windower setup. Everyone is on asura, right? It'd be poo poo to not play with goons is all.

Edit: Eh gently caress it I'm jumping in. I'm spritemage in game, asura server ect. Someone a bit back said bug frod for a linkpearl which is exactly what I will do.
Make sure to ask Frod how big his butt is now. He gets off on that. He is a great guy, just make sure not to actually call him any prounouns because that triggers Frod. He is transitioning into

frodnonnag posted:

Its pretty nice though, as it feels like a standard busy server from the toau era.

Speaking of poo poo, i really need to overhaul the op, should i just edit it or do a new thread?
Asura's population is the best. You can pug most things except the high tier escha/reisenjima and be successful.

Overhaul the OP sounds like a good idea. Making a new thread is also a good idea but more work. You have to press the make new thread button instead of the edit button on this thread's OP.

Sprite141 posted:

Oh drat, that's pretty heavily stacked!
That is what she said.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Majumbo posted:

Do you wanna fight?!? CoP is amazing and if you are about to rag on my Prishe i will make you an appointment for the icehouse

I like all of the cutscenes. Especially the ones with waifu and husbandu. FFXI has tons of 's content. Still it is pure cheese, yet I am always coming back for more.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

LiquidFriend posted:

The mission storylines are great with Enternity and the add-on that unlocks the FPS limit, so that they end quicker.

Only the FPS limit unlock is really handy for even more stuff. Enternity is not my thing because I enjoy the cut scenes.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Micro transactions are here!

http://www.playonline.com/ff11eu/envi/wardrobe/index.html
SE have lost their minds

I can't believe that's a per month fee. Inventory isnt even that much of a problem these days.

$4.00 extra per month for both wardrobes 3 and 4? My stingy side hates this, but I am really glad they are adding mog wardrobes 3 and 4. I wish they made us do a questline instead or pay an amount once instead of a monthly fee.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Sprite141 posted:

So how can I cause more mobs to spawn on boats? I need me some ice spikes, and I can only get one phantom to spawn during a boat ride. It's annoying.

Level thf to 99. Grab sparks stuff or better. Queue up a playlist that won't make you bored. When you are waiting, watch a movie or whatever. Something you can pause so you can check if any mobs spawned that drop ice spikes. Or you can AH farm for it. Your chances are better with the boat farming. I doubt many people would farm this for gil. When you could farm alex or dyna currency for just as much effort and make more gil per hour. Good luck, I am in the same boat as you. I want ice spikes for my blm but it won't drop for me.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

frodnonnag posted:

Holy poo poo, them smn changes and new gear. I suspect i could reach 20 second recast with my poo poo, an overall reduction of 40 seconds, and 10 lower than previous. The new rings also mean, i assume, a pricetag of 50m each.

That is if you are lucky. The +1's are going to be really expensive. I can see people charging 100m per +1 ring.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Sprite141 posted:

I was running around buying a poo poo ton of red mage spells last night, and I noticed that meruba was chock full of people. What's going on there? Cause it was about as many people as I've seen in the game total so far.

Also, the trust kukki-chebukki ain't doing poo poo while I'm a red mage. I assume it's because I just started the class and was low level, meaning he doesn't have access to the spells he uses yet. He was fine when I was a black mage, but now my redmage is at level 16 or so and he still ain't doing poo poo.

*Mhaura it has the ambuscade book an npc. The tome is used to start a queue for volume 1 or volume 2 for ambuscade. The ambuscade npc is used to get stuff for hallmarks and gallantry, as well as trade your jse cape and augment stuff to augment it. Spergs have more than two of the ambuscade jse cape. Good players have about 3-5, depending on the job. Geomancer you only really need one with pet regen+ and magic acc+ on it.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Sprite141 posted:

Oh poo poo, that makes sense.

Non of this makes sense, except sperg and stats. Got it. Hopfully I can complete as much content as I can without having to delve too deep into this stuff. How are the new classes, anyway? It's runesword and geomancer, right?

Mhaura is a zone that you misspelled. Ambuscade is a level 99 endgame thing to do. You can solo it or queue up with 1 to 5 other people/friends. Runefencer and Geomancer. Runefencer is a greatsword wielding tank that specializes in magic tanking. Geomancer has bubbles and is currently the most in demand and powerful buffer in game. Bard is no longer king of buffs. Bard is still really good, but the typical pick up group will not bother with a bard if they can get a geo or corsair.

You can solo most content with trusts with or a friend or two. The game is set up that way. Once you get a job to 99, you can get item level 117 armor and weapons from a sparks vendor. Use bg-wiki, ffxiclopedia, and google to help you learn the ins and outs of this game. Also asking in this thread can help.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

LiquidFriend posted:

Get the quested hat from SoA, beat SoA and choose crafting ring and eat kitron macaroons. There's also shapers shawl, but gently caress trying to get that cape.

My last piece of advice would be to farm some dynamis or salvo for awhile to get a decent amount of funds. It's a lot smarter to powerlevel your poo poo fast and start printing money asap over trying to be a tightwad.

The crafting level up changes and guild supply items make crafting ridiculously easy now. I poopsocked frod to 110 bone and myself to 110 Alchemy in a weekend during last double skillup rate event.

Sure the double skillrate helped, but it also made any supplies down to crystals hard to get, thst weren't available at guilds. Actually had to bot farm clusters haha.

10 million gil should be plenty for any guild 1-110 outside of maybe goldsmithing. The only real grind left is 200k GP for all your support items and coffer farming.

Here are the guilds I can tell goons about :
Goldsmithing: You won't lose hundreds of millions like you once did, but you'll need a good amount to get it capped out. If you want to be safe, 20-30 mil to get all the supplies you need.

You will make it all back fairly easy when you're all set up. GS will need alchemy+smithing subs and ideally a smithing mule for real nice profit. To max profits, you will need to max Synergy which is a terrible dumb grind. gently caress synergy.

Smithing: Fairly cheap to level, but not much to profit off anymore. 119 abj gear will get a decent return, but not much else.

Bonecraft: Cost me around 10 million to powerlevel the poo poo out of this for Frod. If he wasn't a bad, dumb poor he would be insanely rich off it by now. I got close to Veteran bonecraft just off of stuff I bought from the guild.

Woodworking: It's somewhat of a pain to level and honestly outside of some 119 pieces of gear for pups, not any demand for ww items. Pass on this craft.

Leather: A really easy craft to level right now, and fairly cheap to do. There are some fairly decent synths to make money off of too.

Clothcraft: You can break even if you take your time and work with synths that you can sell the results on the AH. Apogee gear is a good seller and some of the other poo poo is okay I guess. Probably worth it although I never really liked this craft for some reason.

Alchemy: Really, really cheap to level. I actually made gil from 1 to 108. You have a large gap of making holy waters than buying gear with sparks and synthing holy water to it and vensoring the result. Money is very nice, but you will need several hundred k in sparks.

Last two levels will either be costly getting mats off AH, or you will make a lot of gil selling dyna currency from farming Dynamis to get skillup mats.

I wouldn't suggest Alchemy for big money profits. Too many people leveled it during the double skillup events and the market is flooded between those dudes, and other dudes with mog shields and 110 alchemy flooding the gently caress out of the market.

With another set of shields hitting the game recently, expect the Goldsmithing and Bone markets to get really tight. I'd say leather or cloth are good markets to hit.

I never did cooking, but it's really easy to level but not great to get GP for or for profits. Only do this if you love pet jobs.

And finally, seriously, gently caress synergy.

Thanks for the tips and strategy on how to earn some gil.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

LiquidFriend posted:

You're welcome good sir

I was actually going to level alchemy on my mule, but I am going to do Leatherworking or Cooking. Thank goodness I am lazy and did not get to 110 before the whole curio moogle thing with Rhapsodies of Vanadiel came out. Thanks again for helping to steer me in the right direction.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Celador posted:

Where do you get that Sheep mount?

The sheep/ram mount is not out yet, to my knowledge. It may be in the dats, but not accessible to us player folk.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

frodnonnag posted:

Monster rearing afaik.

Damnit, now I need to do that poo poo too.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

So since the OP is around 3 years old, I'm guessing there is some new information on starting out in this game again. I have barely played it since I resubbed but I really want to. How should I be starting out anymore? The starting cities are ghost towns, and I am doing what I used to do so many years ago and just wandered around the starting area killing poo poo. Is there something new I should be doing to start?

Also, is there a better starting town compared to each other? I started in Bastok because I never did that town, I used to always start in San d'Oria and rarely Windy.

So simply, WTF should I be doing to start anymore?

If you are not on the Asura server. I suggest you delete your character and remake on Asura. It has the highest population and it has the goonshell. Other than that, why did you pick up ffxi? To play a cetain job? To corner the wild onion market? Maybe it is for the story and cutscenes? Did Frodnon tell you he would let you look at his planet sized bottom? It is all of these and more. Go to by-wiki or Google and look for returning player ghides. They are plentiful. If you have more questions just ask. No starting city is any better than the others. Except for Sandoria's bagpipe music is painful when you have a head ache.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Shinjobi posted:

Farmer Shinjobi has become an NPC.

Braw wirk, lad.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur
If you do the shout for vagary it will be easier to get the win. You just need the right amount of people.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Spent an ungodly amount of time getting a summon mount and slowly cutting into new content for the exp bonuses. Pretty sick to let three npcs kill mobs and give me 1000 exp a kill. I popped some exp bonus items and practically skipped level 29 in two fights :eyepop:

Have to be on my higher level job to actually progess though.

The stat creep on l99 gear is hilarious

You should see the stat vomit on the i119 REMA weapons with afterglow 3. https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Apocalypse_(Level_119_III)

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

RIP in pieces Frod, you will be missed.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Philip Rivers posted:

I was addicted to FFXI but I was also a teenage shut-in. I don't regret playing it but I do wonder if my middle/high school years would have been different if I didn't play MMOs.

I feel the same way. When I was in high school I was not able to control myself and I would play all hours of the night. I would be sleepy all throughout the school day. Everything thought I was just stoned, it was funny. When I got to college, I focused more on my studies and getting laid, I still played mmos, but my goal was to not flunk out and get honey on my stinger.

Did you have a similar experience?

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Kieyen posted:

New campaign info is up
http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/15065/detail.html

Campaigns September 11 to September 30:
- Mog Garden
- WoE
- Geas Fate
- Abjuration keys
- Domain Invasion

Domain Invasion is perfect for getting the multiple kills to further enhance escha/reisenjima buffs. WoE is perfect for gil making. Geas Fete is perfect for getting more silt and gear yourself with reisenjima or escha ru'aun stuff. Abjuration Key Dial can help you gear your job with abjuration gear, if you need it and have the gil to buy the cursed item you need to get it from that priest dude in north sandy.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

LiquidFriend posted:

You are the worst.

Frod is not as bad as Spicyryan who has to trick everyone into thinking he has a girlfriend who plays ffxi. Unless you are talking about the stench that comes from Frod's sixty fat rolls.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

LiquidFriend posted:

They usually go balls deep for 11 because FF11 heh get it 11 month and 11th game very clever, S-E

There is projecttako and clipper. First one is free, 2nd one is not.

Don't listen to Tanag. He's not hip about fun-having, crank that poo poo up.

That said, be careful. SE likes to ban people in one huge pile all at once. Use sneak and in is and make sure your trusts are desummoned so you can run at sonic speeds with less risk of being seen by anyone that could report you.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Office Surprise Store posted:

who should i message or w/e to join the linkshell?

dragonwagon is my chars name

Joobacca, Frod, Cubswoo, Kadian, Kaiyen, Spengler, and some others I am forgetting. Good luck, sometimes it is hard to find a goon who is not logged off or afk.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

hagie posted:

Is there a gil restriction when World transferring?

I know FFXIV has a restriction, but I wanted to find out if XI has a similar scenario. I couldn't find it in any fine text.

No idea, but probably. The World transferring rules should be on the official site. If they are not, just do a google search something should come up.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Vitamean posted:

August seems like a cool trust to have. I'm so used to trusts being relatively easy to nab, kind of surprised that it drops from an endgame event.

Amchuchu is a good tank, but August is my favorite. It took me forever to get August trust cipher. If you are on Asura, send a tell to Joobacca. I will help you do Sinister Reign or answer your question about which cheesesteak is the best in the tri state area.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I spent eight hours last night hunting Cargo Crab Colin. On the 4th spawn it dropped my prescious Nadrs.

Don't tell me how to live my life.

Also, did they fix the front paw of of the beetles? It only took them, what, 13 years?

I doubt it. I know they fixed it for the beetle mount.

Anyone know if job card farming can be done with smaller numbers? I am trying to figure out how many pugs I need to drag along with me when I do my omen stuff during the omen job card campaign. I need a lot of job cards on my drk.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

LiquidFriend posted:

Who said you could ever play not GEO again?

LOL, you got me, time to go back to my geo cage

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur
On the ffxiah forum, they are talking about getting 10 job cards per card farming run of Omen. I hope this is close to accurate. FFXIAH has a tendency to exagerate. Like Frod talking about housing an entire immigrant family in his butt. When it was just cat and a dog. :smugdon:

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Majumbo posted:

They remain for the nation. So if you are rank 10 Sandy and switch to Windurst you will be rank 1. But if in two weeks you switch back to Sandy you will go back to rank 10 for Sandy.

I think he meant the points you get for completeing missions and handing in crystals, etc. I am back to make fun of Frod not being able to lick his own nose.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

I said come in! posted:

Final Fantasy XI is $10 on Steam. :eyepop: I purchased it. I've never really played FFXI before, just the trial way back in the day when there were only like 1 or 2 expansion packs still.

That is a good price for FFXI and all it's expansions. The game is new player and returning player friendly. It was not that way 1 or 2 expansions ago.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Kortel posted:

Starting to do RoV, they really escalated the level requirements for the popped fights. Did everything up to the Escha fight on low level summoner. BAM dead. Luckily have a slightly geared 97 Dragoon. About to do the Jungle fight next. Other than that it's been a treat so far.
But teleporting is getting expensive.

Teleporting is expensive unless you have a steady source of income/gil/Frod. Your only choice is to either convince someone to give you gil or to farm it up, you can buy it with real life currency if that jingles your jimmies(FROD!). Ambuscade is very farmable, you can go a quick ffxiah search for which currency sells the fastest and for the highest price. Cap out on those currencies each month. Then farm alexandrite, it is tedious, but it is worth it still. Good luck fellow Goon.

Gruknor fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 12, 2018

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Orty posted:

I started a few days ago on Nasomi but quit since I knew it would be hell without knowing anyone or having a party, but if a chunk of goons are playing then I might start up again. Planning on doing a Bard so ill be desirable I guess? What job would be best to start with keeping in mind bard main job once 30 (or whenever I manage to unlock it)?

WHM, BLM, RDM for subs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

On Nasomi I rolled around as a WHM for a bit, but had a terrible time finding groups once I hit Dunes because most people will bring a second character outside of party who is already in the 40s to heal for them. Logically I switched to a DD job, and found that since I was unable to keep up with being BiS for being level 20, my invites were drying up.

A man can only fish for moat carp and sell it for so long.

That being all said and done, my WHM on Nasomi is level 19 and I would be willing to do Dunes stuff later this week if you're still in that region.

Are there any working fishbots for Nasommi that will not get me banned? I may or may not start playing.