Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’m following the bg leveling guide scrupulously and it requires a lot of pausing and going places and watching cutscenes, but it’s all required for rhapsodies it seems

I’m level 44 RDM so I’m hoping to do COP chapter 1 and the first promyvion tonight, I’ve heard it’s trivial without the level cap so I imagine it’s doable with trusts but if anyone wants to help me out I’d def take it. I actually almost died to the NM that spawns from the undulating mass for the level 40 ROV thing on qufim so it’s apparent to me I suck and in particular all my skills are low, I should probably invest in skill books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Got to level 50 last night, did the first promyvion thanks to a perennially helpful goon, now just gotta do two more for COP-1 and then the "Jeuno" quest for Bastok 4-1 which means doing all of Delkfutt's tower. I'm really enjoying RDM with refresh and haste, they're just top notch spells

bonus, the login campaign coming up has a 1000 point exp ring with 150% exp on it. gonna be shooting for that for sure since its only ten days of logins. i also saw this thing called a sprout beret on someone and it's 150% exp as well, and according to descriptions you get it 40 days after receiving a gold world pass, so hopefully i'll have some good exp mechanisms to help with the kis i've got

also that reminds me, necrosaro, let me know any time you might be able ot hook me up with the echad ring from the WP and I'll hop on. i'm DongQuixote and i'll hop into the goonshell discord when i get off work today

ed: someone plz post discord invite

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 10, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

A couple dumb questions; how do I check what my nation rank is? I am on Rhapsodies of Vanadiel Mission 1-7 now, but can't continue until Rank 3. I have a whole bunch of Crystals, but I don't know where the NPC is in San d'Oria to turn them into. Where is this NPC?

Same guy who gives you signet, you can check your rank in your profile, and don’t forget there are ROEs for all your nation missions

Rank 2-3 is generally long, makes you go to every other nation and do an NM but it is easily solo, and ROV 1-7 requires you to be 40+ for a decently challenging nm as well

Only takes 3 water crystals to trade for a rank and skipping a middle missions - trade them to the signet person, get missions from the regular gate guard near them

Also don’t forget Chains of Promathia 1-1 - 1-3 and to talk to Joachim in Jeuno and check a cavernous maw for those things, can’t recall which expansion they are but the mega guide suggests unlocking them at 30 to begin accumulating something called traverser stones

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Oooh man, okay i'll keep grinding. I am level 35 on warrior now. This is a very difficult game.

yeah I didn't do any of that until level 44 I think, and even then it was a bit iffy. I just hit 50 last night and now I feel like I can comfortable keep doing nation missions, and after the ROV you're on, the next one will require completing the whole main storyline from the original game which is where I am, so there's plenty of space for grinding inbetween. it seems to expect people will go 20ish levels at a minimum between them. now that i got my second rhapsody i'm thinking i'll just get RDM to 99 before doing them, though the BG 1-119 portions things out by level range

i guess now that I'm 50 I can start my AF but goddamn these are some long quests. at least the sword seems fairly straighforward, but even then I'm still gonna have to run around davoi for awhile looking for "orcish dry food"

ed: cool at least two of them can just be gotten from coffers in garlaige/oztroja, so once i'm 60 or so i can do the RDM af quests and then just drop 10k on the coffer keys from moogles?

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 10, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Rhapsody in White grants you a fourth trust, fifth comes at level cap I think, or at least the next RoV didn't grant it and as far as I can tell the third doesn't either. there are six? the third starts granting CP/JP which I don't understand so maybe I'm just missing something and you have all five by then.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

star eater posted:

the rhapsodies start granting bonus capacity points and exp points. Job points are bonus exp levels for each job, sorta like merits but only earned by the job currently active— 30,000 capacity points = 1 JP with “gifts” unlocking every set amount. up to 2100 JP which gives you the job mastered stars.

additionally. if you don’t wish to / can’t do dynamis divergence wave 3 boss clear, you can grind 10,000 JP to turn into oboro to unlock augmented REMA

ah word, thanks, so basically not relevant until some time in the distant future when I have a job I'm invested in at 99

also this game is consuming me. all i want to do is play ffxi. i want to do promyvion and nation missions and my af armor, but i can't, because real life keeps getting in the way. i hope i get quarantined for a month so i can get this loving monkey off my back hurrrrghhh

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

PROGRESS!!! I can now summon multiple trusts, but I need someone to please hold my hand through how to get more trusts. Right now I only have Excenmille, and he is kinda stupid.

Off the top of my head: ROEs for summoning them, nation missions, conquest points, and, at least the one that just ended which is where I got a buttload, login points

Also google unities and find a unity NPC, joining gives you their leader as a summon - I chose Yoran Oran because he’s supposedly one of the better healing trusts

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Is there a recommended outdoor zone for grinding levels at around level 43+?

I did 40-50 with a goon friend in Crawlers Nest, good alternative to garlaige as it’s not on the fantastic exp list and thus isn’t as crowded

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I completely forgot about limit breaks, got my af1 and 2, then couldn’t equip the boots, now I’m pausing my AF quests to do this long rear end sneaking through garlaige crawlers nest and a place I’ve never been

Then I’ve gotta do all of delkfutts and two promyvions, there’s so much content needed do even the halfway mark basic advancement stuff

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Someone repost the discord link there are a bunch of goons now but we're not all in the same LS

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Can THF find coffers in dungeons? I’m about to go to eldieme necropolis for one, then castle oztroja for the next, and after spending a full hour running around with a goon friend to find the one in Garlaige I am beginning to wish for such a skill

Also the above post, I totally agree, I’m having great fun and I’m not even level 60, my current cap

Also also I’ll be around a lot in the next while cus of the plague, if the awesome world pass giver has time to login and hook me up with the echad ring in the next week or so, I’d really appreciate it

Ed: trying to find coffers in the necropolis is horrible holy gently caress there are three zones to enter from and a dozen doors. I have to fall through the center but I can’t figure out how the gently caress to even get there

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 13, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Some of the zones in this game are so loving confusing to navigate. Trying to do the level 65 LB, and I've been running around Davoi and the Monastic Cavern, and it sucks, even with wikis and maps.

Ugh yeah I had to do Davoi for RDM AF1, but honestly it isn’t nearly as bad as Eldieme Necropolis, Garlaige, the Bostaineux Oubliette, etc, just seems to be a common theme

Also does anyone know if you still receive the sprout beret 40 days after joining via gold wp?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

is it worth 1000 login points to get the 150% exp ring? Can it be recharged or am I spending 1k points for three charges?

also I'll be on a ton this week as I'm working from home, Necrosaro, whats your IGN? so I can keep an eye out and try to message you sometime for the echad ring. now that I'm about to level my subjobs (WHM/NIN) one would be extraordinarily helpful

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lb3 requires 4-1, 4-1 requires stuff, lost access to yoran somehow and am trying to do ROES to get him back but they’re mostly high level in the unity list...lean times for me, dang

Did get me thinking about leveling my subs and unlocking some adv jobs though. How gear dependent is GEO as a support job? They look cool and a good excuse to do the first seekers missions so I can unlock it, and it seems like it shares subjobs with RDM some, so it’s handy with the WHM I need to level and RDM as a subjob?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Vil posted:

You basically need to earn 5000 unity accolades in a week (even if they just get lost due to being capped), and if you have a week where that didn't happen, you lose the unity trust at the next weekly reset.

Fastest way - if the scheduling works out - to get your unity trust NPC to love you again, is to go on a murder spree when Gain Experience is the limited-time objective (if you're in the US, that translates to early morning Sunday, late evening Monday, and midafternoon Wednesday). You get 300 accolades per completion, and only have to get 5000 exp per completion.

You also get a shitload of sparks during Gain Experience as well, which if nothing else can be converted to gil via Acheron Shields.

Dope thanks, it sounds like I’ll be able to get him back eventually, I wasn’t sure how many accolades I needed to earn to get it. Sounds like it’ll probably take a full week though, so ferrous coffin can hopefully pick up some slack

Ed: I spent four hours on LB3 yesterday and only got halfway through. Holy poo poo why is it so complicated, how do I get anywhere in Beaudeax and Castle Oztroja, if I weren’t so determined to get to 99 this would be shaking my resolution

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 16, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Finished my first ever AF the other day, I look fly as hell. Might level WHM next since I enjoy it and I love its af, and it sounds like it’s still needed for groups

Any recommendations on exp rings for low level besides the emperor? Realized I used it more than three times in a week and I’m getting like a measly 960 exp from things I should be getting a good 1300 from, it’s astonishing how much easier leveling is with those exp rings. Hoping the echad ring is available soon from the mogs, in May maybe, or I get the Sprout Beret from the gold world pass soon. Will that just show up in my mailbox?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Kongming posted:

Keep doing Rhapsodies of Vana'diel as much as you can manage by yourself or ask for help for the NMs since an i119 person can blow them up for you. More Rhapsody key items means more exp bonuses that keep stacking. If you're past level 50 you should be able to get up to Siren solo and then ask someone to kill Siren for you (or hell, I can do it) and that should net you another KI.

oh dang...my next rhapsody requires having defeated the Shadow Lord, which I assumed I wouldn't be able to do until level 75 or so. It at least requires Rank 6 so I guess I'll have to buckle down on some missions ASAP...may as well grind RDM to 70/75 to make them easier, I guess, since I've got the RDM testimonial and enough kindred seals for LB4/5.

So much to do, dang. It's gonna be a good while before I get to try any of the advanced classes I'm looking forward to.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Edly posted:

I forget what level I beat Shadow Lord at, but I think was closer to 60 than 75. There's a home crystal right before the fight, so you can just unlock it at your current level and then come back later if you're not high enough.

Yeah looking it up it seems to be only mission 5-2 so probably doable pretty soon. I'm desperately trying to get Yoran oran back right now, leveling subjobs without exp rings in valkurm because I need the accolades...

Necrosaro posted:

World pass code:

Edit:redeemed

speaking of lack of exp rings for below level 29, if you ever get a chance to log in, please let me know, make post/send tell/message me on discord (gonna install it on my laptop so i can hop on even if I'm not home), as the echad ring would make my life way easier. I'm Frog Act on Discord and can be found in the GetOut channel.

ed: it also seems i won't get the sprout beret if you haven't logged in since you gave me the world pass. i know i've been a bit of a bother but it's really important to me to get my hands on those. let me know if you get any of my messages!

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 23, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Making a quick appreciation post for necrosaro: dudeman logged in and hooked me up with my ring, and he's a beautiful person inside and out, and we should all smooch him, give him gil, etc etc

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I did level 73-4 in like twenty minutes with it, but most of all, it’ll make leveling subjobs to thirty or so absolutely trivial

Rune Fencer is pretty fun so far but I kinda have a bit of a thing for like, the extremely dope plate armor this game has. I think I’m gonna slowly unlock a bunch of jobs and give them all a try and find one that clicks. WHM is also surprisingly fun they have a lot more options and spells then I remember from 2005

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

Here's a very brief run down of stuff in current meta. Some of these I don't know poo poo about and are exclusively second hand knowledge.

WAR: still a zerg content super star to my knowledge, very good dd all around.

WHM: it's whm, there will always be a place for whm. Everyone wants you.

MNK: last year brought this job from a joke to a fuckin dps champion

THF: mostly taken for THing, there's other jobs that do the DD better and a lot of content where TH doesn't matter.

BLM: blame the nuke wall for this but I only really see BLM in stuff like vagary.

RDM: buff/debuff champ, can nuke or do phys dd very competently with the right gear. Can fill curing role too.

PLD: technically fine and can do all content but does it worse than RUN pretty much. Got a weird niche with aoe cures last year

DRK: does very well in both zerg and normal content from what I've heard but for some reason I feel like I rarely see them?

BRD: buff/debuff superstar that you can cure or dd on. Every group wants one but also wants a set of remas.

RNG: ranged WSing niche is useful on some content but I'm pretty sure you can fulfill the same with a COR and also get rolls out of it.

SMN: smn burn everything to quote frod. Does some wild damage but they've started developing content that counters it to some degree. Huge investment for huge damage. Everyone wants you (with a Nirvana)

BST: I have never seen one in a party, except like CP. I've heard they're good at soloing but I haven't seen them in group content.

SAM: great DD, I think they're better at sustained than zerg content but I don't know a ton about them.

NIN: identity crisis issues. Doesn't really have a role. Most that I see around now play as DD. Nin as a primary tank isn't much of a thing any more but is subbed sometimes.

DRG: 2019 was great to drg both as a main and a sub with the wsd traits. Very good DD now with hate dumps too.

BLU: primarily used as cleaving DD now. Don't see Blu tanks or healers around. Also subbed for some jobs (run says hi). Not sure how their single target holds up. Amazing soloer.

COR: buffing champ, high floor for being useful with a high ceiling for growth as a DD. Everyone wants you.

PUP: I don't see many outside of meme comps, I think they're better off than BST though. I still don't know much about them.

DNC: super versatile, buffs, debuffs and can heal. Can grow into a fantastic DD, lots of room for potential.

SCH: i really don't know much about sch, i know Regen 5 is pretty powerful. I've seen them in ambu and in content where you don't need specific whm stuff. Not sure how widely used they are currently.

GEO: an amazing buffer/debuffer with an annoying wait for idris. Can nuke, can cure, can even melee. Every group wants you if you have Idris to the point of not letting you play other jobs. Without Idris you can still access a lot of groups.

RUN: the common tank these days. Epeo is ridiculous. Can be basically invicible with epeo and a good phalanx set and extremely sturdy without. Can grow into a strong DD. People would rather have a run than a pld.

thanks dude! This is a dope writeup. I read some other "favorite job" threads and I'm actually really interested in DRG now. It sounds variable, interesting, and like it can do cool skillchains solo with /SAM and doesn't have a crazy high gear requirement for groups. I also accidentally started the PUP quest walking around in Bastok yesterday so I'm gonna unlock that too, gently caress it - now I've got RUN, GEO, PUP, NIN + base jobs available but I'm still going to focus on RDM to 99 first. Too bad RDM gearing seems onerous to be useful in end game, sounds like I won't really be able to 'gear' that with my semi casual playstyle.

Anyway, I'm just looking at the next limit break and the stuff I have to do right now, and how do I get merit points? apparently I need 30 for the 75-80 limit break.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’m a bit overwhelmed right now - off the top of my head, I have

GEO quest
PUP quest
COP (two promyvions)
Zilart (on M3)
Adoulin (M3)
Aht’Urghan (M2)
ROV
Bastok 6-2
Limit Break 5

Then all the other expansion packs, jobs, cities, event missions, conquest, abyssea, shadowreign, etc. also hitting 119

There is just so much poo poo to do. DRG is fun though, my Wyvern is named George

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Luckily a goon friend is helping with WOTG as he finishes it too so it will be much more tolerable. I’m just thinking about how I have like...an easy two years of content ahead of me. Three if I’m only quarantined a month

I’m also noticing that the story and quests are better than any FF game I’ve played. Somehow the tone is more serious

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The DRG quest story was surprisingly awesome. Weird magic shape shifting elvaan, a hilarious line about how YOUR WYVERN WILL GROW TO MATURITY...KNOWING ONLY THE DESIRE FOR REVENGE IN ITS HEART.

Hit 75 last night and holy gently caress the spells were expensive, even from a vendor. I spent almost 1/3rd of my gil just buying Blizzard/Fire/Thunder III and Phalanx/Sleep/Slow/Blind II. Luckily I have 25 SP gobbie keys and another 15 days before I can trade them, so I'm hoping I'll be able to make some gil if I get some lucky returns.

I was also thinking of spending my login points on some of those NM summoning items, but I read the 1 damage all class back sword is good for end game stuff? Something about skill chains? I accidentally bought a capacity point ring with my first 1k, the warmachine mount with my next 500, and I'm not sure what to do with the ones I've got left. Any ideas?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Edly posted:

How did you make enough gil to buy those spells? I've been selling everything I can on the AH and only have like 100k which isn't even enough for one high level scroll. If I converted all my sparks to gil it would be maybe another 300k.

A goon friend gave it to me. I would be hosed without the incredible and ongoing largesse of goons, I can’t overstate enough how much more playable this game is with someone nice enough to give you a few mil

I’m hoping I’ll be able to catapult to self sufficiency via SP gobbie key items in two weeks when I can trade them

Also wow I went from 30 WHM to 50 WHM in 25 minutes with my new rhapsody and echad, leveling with a synced 99. It was a level every other kill, owned. I think I am gonna level WHM next cus I’m halfway there and it’s very endgame viable

Ed: honestly if there was a completely safe way to buy gil I would. I looked up the chinese bot prices and they were $5 for 10m. I’d happily spend $25 for $50m because I have things to do irl. I’ve never RMTed before (well once when I was 14 I spent my allowance on 100k, in 2004) but given how botted and hosed the asura economy is, it wouldn’t be that outrageous. I’m just not willing to eat a ban for it

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 27, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

oh dope well, I'm definitely going to do that too, lol

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the funniest part is I've never even microtransacted before for any game, never played gacha, etc but something about FFXI just fundamentally breaks my brain

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I don’t know if anyone else is like me and they occasionally get distracted by other games, but right now I’m pretty into bannerlord. Last time this happened I didn’t log in for three days and lost yoran Oran for over a week

Making this post as a reminder to anyone else just returning to at least log in long enough every day to do your unity dailies and do an echads worth of exp for accolades. I’ve been doing that I’m doing a level and a half a day plus getting just enough accolades to retain the hands down best trust I’ve run into so far

Also: what’s the difference between indi and geo spells? The wiki says they’re the same potency, is it just where the AOE bubble is centered? Indi on you, geo on....wherever you place your luopuoan? I only just unlocked GEO and haven’t even learned the first spell yet

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Indi spells will be an aoe bubble around you. Geo spells you need to target someone (or an enemy) and then it will summon a luopan at that location, which has an aoe bubble of its own. Once summoned, the luopan will slowly lose HP. It can also take HP damage from AOE stuff and other enemy spells/skills. Obviously when it runs out of hp, it dies and the bubble vanishes. Whether the bubble effects allies or enemies depends on the specific spell - buffing ones effect allies, debuffing ones effect enemies, etc. You can only ever have one of each going, but you do eventually get an ability to place an indi spell on a teammate instead of you, allowing you to have two indi spells at once.

You get indi-spells the same way as other jobs do - just buying a scroll plate and using it to learn the spell. Geo spells you need to go to a specific location on the map to find a Geomagnetic Fount, and then examine it to learn the spell. You can only learn the geo version of a spell once you're at the required level, AND have learned the indi version. For example, while indi-poison is available at lv1, to learn geo-poison you need to have already learned indi-poison and then examine the geomagnetic fount in East Ronfaure after you've reached level 5.

Most often the "ideal" way to play is to ensure that things are stacked naturally - so an attack buffing bubble and a defense debuffing bubble, for example.

Very interesting, so it's sort of like Bard song things but with an additional element of AOE management. So you can eventually have three aoe buffs/debuffs going, like, one on you emanating outward to other casters, one on the tank that buffs melee and a third that debuffs the target, or something, that sounds cool. I'm gonna give that a go when I hit 99. I'm 83 now and doing at least a level or two a day so it won't be too terribly long, and Bannerlord won't distract me for too long until mods come out

Edly posted:

I hit 99 and started working on Adoulin for the RoV missions, I'm really digging it. The "pioneers taming an unknown wilderness" theme is really well integrated into all the mechanics. I enjoyed exploring and the feeling of more areas opening up as you unlock teleports and survival skills. Plus the music is awesome. Now I'm stuck on waiting for imprimaturs to accumulate, but fortunately I unlocked them a couple days in advance so I almost have enough.

Now that I have my 119 Bayld gear, are my trusts as strong as they're going to get? I was able to solo a VE ambuscade after several attempts, but the fight was like 15-20 minutes and I don't think I could do it consistently. I guess the only way to speed up my clear time is to improve my personal damage output, or wait for a trust campaign so I can get better ones?

edit:

You can also just log in and accept the unity dailies and then do several days' worth all at once. I had 6 different "talk in unity chat" objectives accepted simultaneously because unity chat is almost always full.

Good call. As a lower level scrub halfway through most storylines/levels I have a lot of semi permanent ROEs but I'll fill some slots with unity things for later

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I unlocked Dancer last night after always poo-pooing it as an inherently lame class idea, like BRD but stupid, but I actually had some good fun with it. I accidentally finished the kill 750 mobs ROE and got 10k exp at once which took me from 6-12 in one, took it to valkurm and made it to 17 in about 15 minutes total. I like the status effects and that it seems to be less magic skill intensive (I didn't get any dance skill ups I'm assuming they aren't a separate skill) and the idea of healing / buffing / debuffing by building a ton of TP with fast dual wield knife attacks seems pretty cool, even if it makes using weapon skills way harder.

so whats the skinny on dancer? is it hard to gear? useful once geared? end-game relevant? what subjobs do people recommend?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

dancer is very good these days and 2019 was good to it. the guide on ffxiah is very up to date. you will absolutely want ja0 if you get serious about DNC.

i wouldn't say hard to gear, the 'required' amount of JSE armor is pretty minimal. horos toes and maxixi tights/gloves, maculele hat are the required pieces and the rest are utility that you can build up over time (things like samba duration, step acc, etc.) and the rest of the gear is the same thing anyone else wants anyway.

the weapon barrier to entry isn't super enormous, you ultimately want a twash and/or terpischore, but you can do a lot with just working on Tauret.

the biggest downside to dancer is the same downside to any DD job, you're a DD job in a sea of DDs.

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/53853/the-last-dance-iii-a-dancers-guide-new/

Thanks dude! I thought dancer was more of a healer / support - does it actually just work as a DD with a little utility? If they’re just DD are most of their heals and weird buffs/debuffs largely ignored?

I guess my burning desire to be a support class that can actually be played without insane investment is channeling me towards COR. Though that also seems tough, with a high gear floor, so who knows. I’m level 90 now on my RDM and my next highest class is WHM at 52 so that might be my next to 99, it seems like an easy ticket to end game stuff and has some fun options I never thought about buff wise

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 6, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

steps boost your group's damage output and give you finishing moves to amp up your damage even more. the heals are great for soloing and good in a pinch.

COR is a great support class with a high floor for being useful (even a roll cor w/ just basic rings is useful) and an incredible amount of room for growth into a top tier DD.

whm is an easy ticket into end game and not super hard to gear. yag is really nice but not required like some other REMAs are. the job can be stressful though and needs a fair bit of researching content to know what to expect for debuff removal and damage etc. i've just started working on mine and using some of my existing resources from playing geo for a long time to pad it out, it has been pretty fun so far. strongly recommend setting up partybuffs with a filter.

Thanks for all the good answers dude! Luckily the only kind of end game mmo play I’m actually familiar with is healing, from many other similar but hotbar MMOs and having exclusively played WHM in my FFXI attempts before this, so it would probably be an easy transition for me. RDM is very cool but looks prohibitively complex. I’m also gonna unlock BRD for the heck of it, one of my linkshells said they’d help anyone gear anything up and not to be too concerned m

Anyway I hit 90 tonight, doing my LB tonight, then hopefully I’ll have a clear path to finish ROVs

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hit 99 RDM this morning, traded my kupons for level 109 gear and immediately realized the sparks level 99 gear is just straight up better, bought the Espial Set...now I guess I should work on the ROVs since I have basically all of them left

One piece of 99 gear has more stat bonuses on it than everything I was wearing beforehand. I went from +18 MND to +120 with just the level 109 stuff

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

was it the A-PK109 gear? that stuff is literal garbage yeah. the 119 bayld gear is aight though.

Yeah it was absolute poo poo so I traded up for the 20k spark set thats level 117. trade off there is it is exactly identical to the level 1 robe/braises/gaiters mage set so i look indistinguishable from a level one player at fresh 99. upside is my stats have more than doubled and bonuses probably quintupled. doing some reading it seems like I was right about not being able to gear RDM - there's just so many insane requirements, steps, and niche equipment needed to be effective, and, worse of all, it seems way more job point intensive than other classes. like WHM at 99 has two job point gift spells that are nice but not essential, whereas for RDM, all the elemental V skills are gated behind job points, and refresh III, probably the best spell they get (i assume) is gated behind 1200 job points. given that i routinely see 500 selling for ten million gil, that being just, like, the basic thing needed before you can even start gearing makes me want to find something else soon.

that being said it will at least make the ROVs very easy, so my next step is to start plowing through those. then I'm going to level WHM, it seems very manageable and all the groups are hurting for healers, so I'll get some charity gear that will eventually make it easier to get into a support job.

99 sure is a lot to do, i can see the whole "game starts here" sentiment has merit

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Shoutout to Taels for booting a dude in the middle of an ambuscade who examined my undergeared rdm, then said "yo you can replace me after this"

lol that we then went on to spam out 5 minute clears

Hell yeah. So many rear end in a top hat chuds and elitist idiots in The Linkshell That Shall Not Be Named. Some really cool players in there too but I’m a little fed up with the one guy who is a straight up Nazi. Without cool dudes like Taels and the other goons this game would not be playable

Anyway I’m taking a short break to play Persona 5 now that I’m 99, here’s hoping I don’t lose yoran again

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 15, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

hagie posted:

If it's BombToss you are talking about, you don't have to avoid saying the name. The LS had a boom in membership because some one got on FB and tossed out the LS name and the leader and they decided to invite drat near anyone/everyone. I wouldn't be surprised if the LS collapses in the coming months.

A good many of the people that are in there are pretty tired of it and the "membership." I think 2 or 3 people got the boot recently. 1 was harassing one of the ladies, and the other liked to toss around the N-word (soft a) to sound cool.

I am curious to find out who you consider the Nazi to be

Yeah, it’s bombtoss, and the dude I’m thinking of is Konstantinos. In just the limited time I’ve been on he’s talked about hating Turkish people, dropped slurs about Roma and discussed how both Turks and Romani are enemies of the Greek people, and said a bunch of racist poo poo about black people. The only response I’ve seen is “maybe we shouldn’t discuss that in LS” and I’ll admit I’m complicit in not calling him out enough for not wanting to start a whole thing, though I have said something about his sentiments being wrong and gross

Amusingly he has also revealed he lives on disability in some tiny Greek village while also going on and on about lazy gypsies or how black people aren’t actually getting corona or whatever

It’s just weird because there are a lot of nice, helpful non goons in there - Heriheotto, Shujin, Darkdrgn and a few others have gone out of their way to help me

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

private servers are great if you're unemployed and have literally infinite time, otherwise retail is better in basically every sense. I levelled a character to like 60 on Nasomi before I got a job, then took a RDM to cap on retail during the beginning of the pandemic and the latter was much more rewarding.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Overwhelmed with the urge to reactivate my account and jump back in, only to find that, having forgotten my registration password and my emergency removal thing, it is literally 100% impossible to login to either the security token 2factor thing or my square enix account. Lol. Tried submitting something to support to remove the 2factor component and gave them the original serial number I was issued when I first installed the authenticator but it is completely insane to me they haven't improved POL at all and in fact have made it much worse somehow

ed: wow they must get a lot of those cus they fixed that poo poo instantly. I guess I'll log back in and see how I feel about my level 99 RDM. I wanted to get BRD to 99, which has been an aspiration of mine since I was 13

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

oh my god logging back into this game for the first time in four years is fuckin insane I have no idea what any of this was or what I was doing lmao