Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I am considering loving up my kids YouTube algorithm so FFXI shows up constantly and he gets interested. I’d love a whm or farm bot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Francis posted:

My understanding was that when it was all over the game was left in a much shallower state with really unbalanced jobs and a nonfunctional economy relative to the 75 era it replaced. Even Square-Enix said that it was a mistake, supposedly?

Anyway, the reason I was asking was because there are some accessories from there that are still good, and I either can't figure out how to get most ilvl-era gear solo or need a group for it, so I thought I'd start more toward the bottom and work up.

I looked at the upcoming March campaign and wow, that's pretty dull. Are the campaign bonuses more like February or March in terms of how much gets boosted?

I don't know about all that, but Abyssea did coincide with the level cap increase beyond 75. However, Abyssea was over and done with by the time the cap increased to 95. I don't know if you can blame Abyssea specifically for that stuff since raising the level cap was bound to shake things up. I think the problem was that Abyssea didn't play anything like the stuff outside it, so once players had to move on from Abyssea it was a shock to a lot of people that suddenly their job wasn't functioning the same way anymore. I remember the Abyssea era was dominated by jobs like WAR, NIN, and MNK, with NIN falling completely out of favor once Abyssea ended.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

My biggest complaint with Abyssea was the time cap. I couldn’t stand light building and maintenance.

Also, I got hit with a MOTHER loving JAPANESE GOD drat MIDNIGHT WAIT TIME. Why in the poo poo Christ is this still a thing? I can handle “wait 1 game day” under extreme protest. EXTREME protest. I do want to point out that it’s for a Zilart earring that isn’t all that hot poo poo anymore. Trying to decide between Magnetic and Ethereal. May be useful in niche situations...

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

At least they replaced all the ToAU mission Japanese midnight waits with next game day waits. There's still way too many of them, though.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

hagie posted:

My biggest complaint with Abyssea was the time cap. I couldn’t stand light building and maintenance.

Also, I got hit with a MOTHER loving JAPANESE GOD drat MIDNIGHT WAIT TIME. Why in the poo poo Christ is this still a thing? I can handle “wait 1 game day” under extreme protest. EXTREME protest. I do want to point out that it’s for a Zilart earring that isn’t all that hot poo poo anymore. Trying to decide between Magnetic and Ethereal. May be useful in niche situations...

ethereal imo, its 3% -DT isn’t it

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Just be glad it's not a next conquest tally wait. Good times to be without your AF while you're waiting for the +1 to be crafted.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Kongming posted:

At least they replaced all the ToAU mission Japanese midnight waits with next game day waits. There's still way too many of them, though.

Seekers is basically

Quest
Quest
Game day wait
Quest
Quest
Quest
Game day wait
Quest
Game day wait
Game day wait
Game day wait

And splashed in are long as gently caress cutscenes

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I never finished Seekers because the cutscenes were long and the writing was godawful. I should try and do it some day though.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

It gets anime as gently caress later on. Like Dragonball Z or Bleach levels of powering up/changing forms.

All-in-all...eh. I have never played MMOs for the story. Its the chase of the loot, the doing poo poo with a group, busting balls and having a good time when some one passes on something they meant to lot and freaks out (or warps out too early with their loot still in the pool...).

All of the stories are bloated and basically the same retelling over and over, just badged with a different face.

I think I am going to have to Solo Assaults unfortunately. Any idea of what Job(s) should I consider? I went and tried one as Blu but didnt realize it still had a cap and I went in with only 2 blu spells and didn't have time to get them set before the dude started running away...

hagie fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 9, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’m following the bg leveling guide scrupulously and it requires a lot of pausing and going places and watching cutscenes, but it’s all required for rhapsodies it seems

I’m level 44 RDM so I’m hoping to do COP chapter 1 and the first promyvion tonight, I’ve heard it’s trivial without the level cap so I imagine it’s doable with trusts but if anyone wants to help me out I’d def take it. I actually almost died to the NM that spawns from the undulating mass for the level 40 ROV thing on qufim so it’s apparent to me I suck and in particular all my skills are low, I should probably invest in skill books

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Frog Act posted:

I’m following the bg leveling guide scrupulously and it requires a lot of pausing and going places and watching cutscenes, but it’s all required for rhapsodies it seems

I’m level 44 RDM so I’m hoping to do COP chapter 1 and the first promyvion tonight, I’ve heard it’s trivial without the level cap so I imagine it’s doable with trusts but if anyone wants to help me out I’d def take it. I actually almost died to the NM that spawns from the undulating mass for the level 40 ROV thing on qufim so it’s apparent to me I suck and in particular all my skills are low, I should probably invest in skill books

I'm right around where you are, working on level 50 limit break quest. I did the stuff you're talking about with literally no gear (besides starting gear) on my RDM, just trusts. If you could kill that RoV NM you're fine, the CoP chapter 1 promyvions were much easier than it. Just be careful not to run into the level 80ish monsters they added, they have 2-word names instead of 1 (e.g. Idle Wanderer instead of Wanderer).

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

hagie posted:

I think I am going to have to Solo Assaults unfortunately. Any idea of what Job(s) should I consider? I went and tried one as Blu but didnt realize it still had a cap and I went in with only 2 blu spells and didn't have time to get them set before the dude started running away...

Soloing some assaults is painful and sometimes downright impossible without amazing luck. I actually managed to solo the Lebros Supplies assault but it took several tries and miraculous RNG luck. It may be best to just swallow your pride and ask for help with some of them. Orichalcum Survey almost made me quit the game.

Also no Assaults have a level cap unless you specifically set one upon entry. Always make sure you choose uncapped.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Yea I found that out talking to my LS today. I figured the "no" option meant "back to last screen"

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I finally tried out Semih, having heard she was good but never used her. After earlier post in thread I did some research and took her out for a spin and lmao Semih is hilariously good. What a champ of a trust for leveling.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Got to level 50 last night, did the first promyvion thanks to a perennially helpful goon, now just gotta do two more for COP-1 and then the "Jeuno" quest for Bastok 4-1 which means doing all of Delkfutt's tower. I'm really enjoying RDM with refresh and haste, they're just top notch spells

bonus, the login campaign coming up has a 1000 point exp ring with 150% exp on it. gonna be shooting for that for sure since its only ten days of logins. i also saw this thing called a sprout beret on someone and it's 150% exp as well, and according to descriptions you get it 40 days after receiving a gold world pass, so hopefully i'll have some good exp mechanisms to help with the kis i've got

also that reminds me, necrosaro, let me know any time you might be able ot hook me up with the echad ring from the WP and I'll hop on. i'm DongQuixote and i'll hop into the goonshell discord when i get off work today

ed: someone plz post discord invite

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 10, 2020

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

hagie posted:

Yea I found that out talking to my LS today. I figured the "no" option meant "back to last screen"

if you need any help with assaults let me know. I’ve done two mythics

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I wouldn’t mind a static helper. I really want to push through it as fast as possible. Which I know will be a while...

I’m guessing Blu is best option for me. I could try Pup or Smn but I’m going to be clunky as hell (primarily on Pup)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A couple dumb questions; how do I check what my nation rank is? I am on Rhapsodies of Vanadiel Mission 1-7 now, but can't continue until Rank 3. I have a whole bunch of Crystals, but I don't know where the NPC is in San d'Oria to turn them into. Where is this NPC?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I said come in! posted:

A couple dumb questions; how do I check what my nation rank is? I am on Rhapsodies of Vanadiel Mission 1-7 now, but can't continue until Rank 3. I have a whole bunch of Crystals, but I don't know where the NPC is in San d'Oria to turn them into. Where is this NPC?

IIRC, it is the same NPC you can get your signet buff from? Only try a single crystal to verify.

If it isn't that NPC, it is one of the other guards within like 30 yards.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

hagie posted:

I wouldn’t mind a static helper. I really want to push through it as fast as possible. Which I know will be a while...

I’m guessing Blu is best option for me. I could try Pup or Smn but I’m going to be clunky as hell (primarily on Pup)

yeah, i did it all on BLU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Same guy who gives you signet, you can check your rank in your profile, and don’t forget there are ROEs for all your nation missions

Rank 2-3 is generally long, makes you go to every other nation and do an NM but it is easily solo, and ROV 1-7 requires you to be 40+ for a decently challenging nm as well

Only takes 3 water crystals to trade for a rank and skipping a middle missions - trade them to the signet person, get missions from the regular gate guard near them

Also don’t forget Chains of Promathia 1-1 - 1-3 and to talk to Joachim in Jeuno and check a cavernous maw for those things, can’t recall which expansion they are but the mega guide suggests unlocking them at 30 to begin accumulating something called traverser stones

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I said come in! posted:

Status > Profile if I recall correctly.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Frog Act posted:

Also don’t forget Chains of Promathia 1-1 - 1-3 and to talk to Joachim in Jeuno and check a cavernous maw for those things, can’t recall which expansion they are but the mega guide suggests unlocking them at 30 to begin accumulating something called traverser stones

Traverser stones are the Abyssea time currency. One stone = 30m IIRC. But you can collect them indefinitely, so it's best to start the time ASAP, and then you have a huge pile waiting for you when and if you need it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Frog Act posted:

Same guy who gives you signet, you can check your rank in your profile, and don’t forget there are ROEs for all your nation missions

Rank 2-3 is generally long, makes you go to every other nation and do an NM but it is easily solo, and ROV 1-7 requires you to be 40+ for a decently challenging nm as well

Only takes 3 water crystals to trade for a rank and skipping a middle missions - trade them to the signet person, get missions from the regular gate guard near them

Oooh man, okay i'll keep grinding. I am level 35 on warrior now. This is a very difficult game.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Oooh man, okay i'll keep grinding. I am level 35 on warrior now. This is a very difficult game.

yeah I didn't do any of that until level 44 I think, and even then it was a bit iffy. I just hit 50 last night and now I feel like I can comfortable keep doing nation missions, and after the ROV you're on, the next one will require completing the whole main storyline from the original game which is where I am, so there's plenty of space for grinding inbetween. it seems to expect people will go 20ish levels at a minimum between them. now that i got my second rhapsody i'm thinking i'll just get RDM to 99 before doing them, though the BG 1-119 portions things out by level range

i guess now that I'm 50 I can start my AF but goddamn these are some long quests. at least the sword seems fairly straighforward, but even then I'm still gonna have to run around davoi for awhile looking for "orcish dry food"

ed: cool at least two of them can just be gotten from coffers in garlaige/oztroja, so once i'm 60 or so i can do the RDM af quests and then just drop 10k on the coffer keys from moogles?

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 10, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just really want to get multiple trusts to summon, so I can have an easier time killing stuff. RoV's are how you do that though, right?

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
You should be able to summon 3 trusts as soon as you unlock trusts. IIRC after you get your first trust from RoE, it unlocks an RoE objective in the Tutorials category to summon that trust, which rewards you with a second trust and unlocks an objective to summon that one, etc. You should end up with like 4 or 5 trusts learned just from that chain of objectives. The first RoV key item then lets you summon 4 at once.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Rhapsody in White grants you a fourth trust, fifth comes at level cap I think, or at least the next RoV didn't grant it and as far as I can tell the third doesn't either. there are six? the third starts granting CP/JP which I don't understand so maybe I'm just missing something and you have all five by then.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Edly posted:

You should be able to summon 3 trusts as soon as you unlock trusts. IIRC after you get your first trust from RoE, it unlocks an RoE objective in the Tutorials category to summon that trust, which rewards you with a second trust and unlocks an objective to summon that one, etc. You should end up with like 4 or 5 trusts learned just from that chain of objectives. The first RoV key item then lets you summon 4 at once.

Whoa, okay I am loving up horribly then. I need to figure this poo poo out next time I log on. Thank you. Right now I only have one Trust available to me.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Frog Act posted:

Rhapsody in White grants you a fourth trust, fifth comes at level cap I think, or at least the next RoV didn't grant it and as far as I can tell the third doesn't either. there are six? the third starts granting CP/JP which I don't understand so maybe I'm just missing something and you have all five by then.

the rhapsodies start granting bonus capacity points and exp points. Job points are bonus exp levels for each job, sorta like merits but only earned by the job currently active— 30,000 capacity points = 1 JP with “gifts” unlocking every set amount. up to 2100 JP which gives you the job mastered stars.

additionally. if you don’t wish to / can’t do dynamis divergence wave 3 boss clear, you can grind 10,000 JP to turn into oboro to unlock augmented REMA

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

star eater posted:

the rhapsodies start granting bonus capacity points and exp points. Job points are bonus exp levels for each job, sorta like merits but only earned by the job currently active— 30,000 capacity points = 1 JP with “gifts” unlocking every set amount. up to 2100 JP which gives you the job mastered stars.

additionally. if you don’t wish to / can’t do dynamis divergence wave 3 boss clear, you can grind 10,000 JP to turn into oboro to unlock augmented REMA

ah word, thanks, so basically not relevant until some time in the distant future when I have a job I'm invested in at 99

also this game is consuming me. all i want to do is play ffxi. i want to do promyvion and nation missions and my af armor, but i can't, because real life keeps getting in the way. i hope i get quarantined for a month so i can get this loving monkey off my back hurrrrghhh

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
lol the only release is to be banned

sickness must be purged

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

star eater posted:

lol the only release is to be banned

sickness must be purged

I think that’s why I got more brazen and downloaded Tako. I only use the speed for when it’s empty zone and I want to get to the other side with out teleporting.

I accidentally teleported and ended up through the map in a mountain. I immediately logged, relishes in, still there, warped out. I’ve been skittish every since...

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

star eater posted:

Don't do this. It's tantamount to extended torture. 10k job points, with a weekly cap, is just an outright disgusting amount.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

hagie posted:

I think that’s why I got more brazen and downloaded Tako. I only use the speed for when it’s empty zone and I want to get to the other side with out teleporting.

I accidentally teleported and ended up through the map in a mountain. I immediately logged, relishes in, still there, warped out. I’ve been skittish every since...

If you warp into a mountain or the ground just use the "up/down/left/right" position changing from first tab to correct yourself

additionally, if you are above the ground on your screen, you appear on the ground on others screens

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

frodnonnag posted:

Don't do this. It's tantamount to extended torture. 10k job points, with a weekly cap, is just an outright disgusting amount.

I don't recommend it but it is an option for scrubs like me who couldn't get a wave 3 dyna group

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

hagie posted:

There are zones where if you run thru them too fast you will get flagged. There are also invisible walls that if you pass thru you will, again, get flagged.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just got Defending ring on my second character after 8 attempts. Slightly more than my 1/6 on my first character.

also if you're coming back or new post your char name so we can find you in game

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Everyone is playing on Asura though right? I'm on Shiva (and have been for nearly two decades) and I don't really feel like paying for transfer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PROGRESS!!! I can now summon multiple trusts, but I need someone to please hold my hand through how to get more trusts. Right now I only have Excenmille, and he is kinda stupid.