Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
The reason, supposedly, the attack from the combat doesn't show up, is that the skill bonus is applied to the hand that the weapon is on only. Its easy to see if you equip a delve boss weapon, and a pre-SoA weapon, and go and hit 95% of the time on a Yorcia reive mob with your main-hand, while your off-hand is at 50% accuracy or similar. Presumably parrying is shown properly, since there isn't a mechanic for parrying with one hand and not the other.

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

A.G.Pennypacker posted:

That makes sense, but I guess now I'm wondering if the offhand gets the bonuses at all, since the parrying increase from the offhand dagger doesn't show up?

Off-hand gets the attack/accuracy bonuses, but good luck testing parrying, since we still aren't entirely sure what say, one point of parrying does, let alone 100+.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Paladine_PSoT posted:

So do the +ws bonuses apply all over vana'diel or just in SoA areas?

Everywhere.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
There are some fun things you can do with SoA gear that would have been impossible with regular level 99 gear. Soloing Pandemonium Warden for example.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Soloing farming a relic with most jobs in a few months is very possible, and its even easier now with ilvl gear. Soloing alex efficiently is more dependent on what job you use (PUP/BST are both very good, so is BLU, other jobs do less well).

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Be careful about using scripts in abyssea - Empyreal Paradox: GMs have been known to make the rounds and suspend people who don't respond to tells.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Depends on your gear: if you have ilvl gear, I have no doubt they can all be soloed by RDM. If you don't, nidhogg and king behemoth might pose some problems.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Is NNI able to be soloed now as well? I heard they lowered the entry requirements, curious if it's actually feasible though.

Depends on what you mean by soloing. If you mean getting to floor 80/100, that's probably impossible. I'd guess that a trio, with good luck could do it though.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
WAR/WAR/SCH(or any other healer, or hell a BRD could probably do it too), with copious usage of flee boots/speed hacks, and fell cleaving entire floors at a time should be fine as long as you don't get totally boned by floor jumps (note: getting totally boned by floor jumps happens a lot). The last time I did NNI seriously was pre-ilvl gear, and with 6, speed hacking all over the place, we had about a 90% win rate. Sometimes you just get ten 3 floor jumps in a row, and you can't do anything about that.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
On my server, you see very few people doing fell cleaves at all (presumably for fear of being banned). I'd suggest finding a friend, or trying to leech from a worm (or the like) abyssea party. They're in vogue right now, sort of, because you need merits to do the new arch angel fights.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Some of the AF3+2 is still best in slot for certain things (e.g. WHM legs (healing all the time) and body (single target healing), or all of BRD's for various songs, etc.).

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 26, 2013

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I'd say that 90% of the people playing this game right now are the old guard, who have been around forever, and will continue to play till the game is dead regardless of how badly they gently caress up the game (although the current trend for the game isn't that bad I think).

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I gotta say right now isn't even the worst place the game has been in: sure SE totally bungled the introduction of ilvl gear by releasing delve too earlier (and still not giving us new delve content months later) (although they are finally fleshing out ilvl gear, so now you have some alternatives, e.g. delve gear, or skirmish, or reforged AF), but its still better than the hellscape that was post-WoTG, pre-abyssea. Enjoy your WoE and MMM as your sole new content while we trickle out a few missions every few months.

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 28, 2013

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
If you remember the account information (user name/password), or you know the email that is attached to the account to reset the password, it shouldn't take too long to get the account back. If you need to contact SE about it... it'll take a while in general (a week or two most likely). Also note you need to contact them to change any personal information on the account (e.g. changing the account's name from your mom's to yours).

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Target the NPC, and it should be the bottom option on the mini-menu.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
If you mean the new armor/weapons that come from the AA fights, they can drop at any difficulty, but on difficult or very difficult, 1 drops 100% of the time, with a chance for a second piece. On VE or E, they are very rare though.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
A piece of advice for Mithra: she always charms at 40%, but if you kill her pet, and then push her over 40% with a weapon skill, she usually won't charm, and you can kill her normally from there.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

Is that rare?

If you're serious, mythics are the hardest weapon to make a 75 version of (past that Empyreans get harder because of no one doing VW basically). If you aren't being serious, then I can hear the wind blowing over my head.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Buy seekers, then install the game and all five expansions (from steam, and then however you want with Seekers). Then go to this link http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/99953-All-Final-Fantasy-XI-PC-Updates-amp-PS2-Disc-Backups which'll have most of the updates you need, follow the instructions there, and then do the last few updates with POL. It should take a few hours, but that's better than some ungodly time to download it all through POL.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

jokes posted:

Vanilla would be an okay place to stop, narratively speaking. Mechanically getting 75 was/is a motherfucker, and you’d never see the same “what now” poo poo that WoW classic players have today. Plus the Dark Lord is actually still a pretty difficult boss, even if you’re not going in blind.

But hopefully, if there is a God, this would never happen. People should just play retail. You do all the same poo poo and it’s still slow but instead of 10 hours of grinding to level up after 3 hours of organizing a group, it’s like 30 minutes total with trusts. Instead of having to hoof it back and forth from the Dunes, you can just use the fast travel system which still requires you to dodge enemies and run out there at least once. Instead of having to kneel down and rest for MP for 5 minutes you can just have refresh on for an hour and rest a little bit here and there. You’ll still die, you’ll still get chased by goblins that kill you in 3 hits and make you delecel, etc. and you’ll still waste a lot of time just not NEARLY as much time.

It’s also, somehow, fun! I have never played FFXI endgame so I have no idea what that’s about.

It is also difficult to say what is "vanilla." FFXI wasn't released outside of Japan till the first expansion came out. The level cap was initially 50, but it was up to level 65 by the release of Zilart. People originally fought the Shadow Lord at level 50 when it was a real hell of a fight. I think of classic FFXI as being everything up to CoP, ToAU was a transition period where the game was getting a bit kinder and a little bit less of a grindfest (until Mythics anyways), and then WoTG and Abyssea bring us to the modern era of FFXI.

Classic FFXI is a poo poo game from any modern perspective I think, but I still feel the siren's call of CoP once in a while. That was a good time to play (probably because I was in high school).

(https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/The_History_of_Final_Fantasy_XI if anyone wants to see how FFXI has changed throughout the years, especially in the era before the Western release.)

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Capital Letdown posted:

Some friends and I made that climb a couple times a week because we used to spam the ENM up there, the antlion one, for some easy exp in an event and the TP Bonus Great Katana dropped semi-regularly for some decent but not incredible exp and cash flow.

Because of that I am confident I could still run up that dumb mountain over a decade later.

This thought also sent me on a trip of even remembering ENM's were a thing. We used to do the Brothers one in Uleguerand Range too for exp when we didn't feel like partying. I don't thing it really dropped anything regularly. Did anyone ever do ENM's?

Hagun was definitely the main one, but I remember doing lots of ENMs at the time because the novelty of "free" EXP was too good to pass up. Wow! 3000 EXP! Now I can die twice with an R3 and still come out ahead!

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
For the first 6 years I played this game, I did it keyboard only, no mouse. It worked, I even played healer at high level but in retrospect I was probably working harder than necessary.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

ghostinmyshell posted:

Played piano mode too with keyboard only, really sad you can't do the same scheme in 14. :smith:

I actually saw a streamer who does solo potd runs (i.e. not casual content) with both hands on the keyboard. It seems insane to me but apparently it can work...

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
No reason to end a game that has a handful of devs working on it at most but still makes hundreds of thousands a month.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

pretty soft girl posted:

Wait are enspells relevant these days

gently caress I might have to dust off my account, I was so enamored with the idea of being a spellblade when I bought enthunder and was so disappointed that at end game enspells weren't really doing much outside of solo play

Yes, RDMs can do a huge amount of damage via enspells now. Specifically the monster damage comes from their job ability "Composure" which triples the amount of damage that enspells do and a weapon called Crocea Mors which can be augmented to have the effect of +500% to enspells. Now you can't just waltz into amazing enspell damage (Crocea Mors is very expensive + a Superior 5 weapon so you have to master RDM to even wield it), but it is a way to do legitimately competitive DPS, especially considering it comes from... RDM of all jobs. Crocea Mors also doubles the damage that elemental weapon skills do, so RDM can pull off some sick Red Lotus Blades or Seraph Strikes (Crocea Mors' augment works in the off-hand).

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Last questions for now: how do I get a linkpearl? I can't see a way to search for people by LS to see if anyone's online.

Also, how do I get more gil? Spells are expensive!

The most common way of getting linkshells is by knowing someone who has one; pretty old-school like that. There are NPCs called Linkshell Concierges in each original city that let players put linkshells on them and other people to pick them up. They're mainly used by linkshells that are ostensibly newbie friendly, or have a general interest. On my server the concierge is basically dead but if you're on a more populated one, you might give it a whirl, never know if you'll find a good one.

When you're leveling, the basic way to get gil is to exchange sparks for equipment that you then NPC. You can exchange up to 100k per week which yields, roughly (based on fame) 1 million gil. You can do the same thing with unity accolades which has the same weekly limit and yields roughly the same gil. This is usually the best use of sparks because when you level, you're heavily reliant on trusts: why spend sparks buying equipment for yourself when 1) you're going to out-level it quickly, and 2) you're probably pathetically weak compared to your trusts since you probably have bad spells, bad skill levels etc. But since there's no gear binding (until you get to some end-game stuff where there's gear augments) system in this game you can also buy equipment and then NPC it when you're done with it.

A final note: although it feels good to collect all the spells, a lot of them aren't really necessary, either ever, or while leveling. One example is Dispel, which can be a bit expensive for a newbie, and while it is eventually important, you probably won't use it much while leveling because your enfeebling magic skill won't be that good.

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 6, 2021

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I use a controller now but back in the day I was a sicko who played with both hands on the keyboard. I used the numpad for movement even.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

killing crabs on the beach in valkurm...feels like middle school again

also, did they change how many things aggro? I feel like I was able to walk through most of Tahrongi and Buburimu without anything except beastmen aggroing me which is not at all how I remember this being 20 years ago.

I don't think they changed the ways that monsters aggro. The stuff that aggros in Buburimu is the beastmen as you mentioned, elements and undead, and then pugils and crabs, but those are all out of the way on the beaches, so I could definitely see someone being able to get through Buburimu without getting aggro'd pretty easily.

Edit: Wait, they did change something but only at high-levels. They added one more /check level "Extremely Easy Prey" to make it easier for players to do Magian trials even at max level. So usually stuff that is 7 levels below you stops aggro'ing but once you get past 75 it changes to 20 levels below stops aggro'ing.

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 6, 2021

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh, is that why they added it?

I thought the purpose was to keep things that aggroed at 75 aggroing to 99 :shobon:

That's probably a secondary benefit for maintaining a certain... cruelty in the game but yeah, before they went back and added loads of high level monsters to older zones (which was pretty funny since you could be a newbie wandering through a level 5 zone and bam, open the wrong door and there's a level 90 monster there), there were some magian trials that were difficult to complete just because there was nothing at a high enough level. I remember having to level sync just to finish some trial (it was like 9 years ago though so I don't remember which one sadly).

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

which is worse, trying to walk through Dangruf Wadi or Inner Horutoto Ruins

(probably wadi)

I recently did a clean reinstall of the game and forgot to use the marked map .dats for a while and my god, Inner Horutoto Ruins is a nightmare with the vanilla map. Actually a lot of zones are; the vanilla maps don't show hidden areas (sure, fair enough), but they also don't show valid and open paths, so you just have to bumble along until you find the right path. Yuhtunga and Yhoator Jungle were also pretty awful with vanilla maps.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm at the nations mission where I have to do a BCNM fight (Windurst 2-3 for me). Can I do that with trusts or do I need actual humans?

You can use trusts in every mission battlefield (except inexplicably Sandy 1-3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

I just hit 30 on my first job - is it possible to get to expansion areas right away to unlock the expansion jobs or do I have to get certain mission progress for the nations/zilart stuff first?

Rise of the Zilart: Yes, quite a few of the Zilart zones are embedded in vanilla zones anyways, so you've probably travelled to them already (Usually you can't travel to Norg until you've finished the rank 5 nation missions but I think Rhapsodies gets you there sooner)

Treasures of Aht Urhgan: Yes, although the quest to unlock travel to Aht Urhgan is a bit tedious at low levels.

Wings of the Goddess: Yes, any time, just need to unlock the past via cavernous Maws near Jeuno.

Adoulin: Yes, any time, but the quest to unlock access to Adoulin areas involves potentially travelling into dangerous areas (at your level) so it could be difficult.

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 13, 2021