Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Some "recent" or upcoming quality of life improvements include

-Using the delivery box in your mog house!
-New, free 80 slot bag accessible everywhere!!
-Select the title screen music you want!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

That's really cool. If you make a WoE weapon can you use it to unlock the WS for other weapons, or does that only work for empys?

You need to get WoE to 99 for the unlock. Empy just needs to be 90.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Actually just today Matsui said

quote:

Unlocking Coin/Empyrean Weapon Skills

In order to further reduce the difficulty, we will be adjusting the content involved in upgrading the Coin weapons. Please note that we are not planning to reduce the difficulty of creating RME weapons.

But then he also said this unrelated thing

quote:

Shorter Play Experiences
For Final Fantasy XI in the future, we would like to continue moving in the direction of having meaningful play experiences even if you only have a short time to play. Right now, there are elements, like forming up parties, that can take a long time, and we would like to keep content experiences to two hours maximum.

For this reason, we would like to continue to add elements which players can enjoy solo, and will also continue to look into whether we can make a mechanism in which solo players can challenge content previously designed for six person parties. Additionally, we will cut back on the amount of 18 person content that we add in the future while continuing to implement main content for up to six players maximum. We also would like to set up convenient transportation so that it takes players no longer than five minutes to access the content they are looking to participate in.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
There are usually a few people that can pearl you on during NA primetime. Most of us are aware of your post and will try to keep an eye out.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Are you using new weapons with the giant +weaponskill mods? Those essentially bring your skill level up to what it would be if your character level were the level of the gear you are wearing. That makes a pretty big difference when trying to hit the higher level stuff.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
And if you didn't know, current WKR strategy for most jobs is to just beat up on the trash mobs to cap your contribution. You get way more bayld doing that instead of hitting the Naakul. I pretty much just go THF/DNC and SA-feint and a weaponskill on the boss then go back to trash to heal and TP up. And I am selfish and make sure to never tank any trash so there is like no risk of dying. It's cheesy and a bad system but that's the way it is right now.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
That was fun <Skirmish> last night! We should do more. Also I would like to get the Dagger from Cirdas sometime soon so may need some hands willing to do a few runs of that. I will give away all the other weapons and the ghastly stones that drop for me to the people that want them.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

LiquidFriend posted:

The calculation for combat skills plus are done via server side for some goofy rear end reason. You're getting the bonus (it'll show on the parrying skill +) though.

Anyone up for Tuesday night skirmish? Looking to get the skirmish dagger from Cirdas for MH.

I think I will be around this evening to do some more. It was super easy with the 6 of us last night and we finished way under the allotted time. I am sure it could easily be done with 3 DD and a healer.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
There is a "Adjustments to the number of players required to enter Salvage including the high-tier version" listed now when before it was only said that Assault was being lowered. Meeble burrows is on the list as well.

Also monster speed is being increased along with player speed it says. Like the whole game is going to be 25% faster or something?? That could totally mess up some kiting by making it impossible to get spells off before the monster reaches you...

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Courier's supply delivery to Ceizak is super fast and it opens up the later ones which provide a lot of bayld for just running a couple zones away.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
These new items actually have the item effects listed right on them? What game is this again??

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
It looks like Records of Emminence is a pretty large thing with REM -> 119 upgrade items dropping, purchasable ilvl 117 weapons and armor, and the ability to buy pages to upgrade to AF109 and AF119

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
So this latest update (combined with the last few) is great if you are totally new to the game or are coming back without a max level job.

The new Records of Emminence system (RoE) combined with the old Fields/Grounds of Valor give you large boosts in experience. RoE are basically mini-quests that reward you for doing what you would be doing anyway. Killing x number of mobs in a zone, dealing x amount of damage, healing x amount. Each time you complete one you get bonus experience and a currency called 'sparks'. RoE don't require talking to an NPC to initiate (apart from the initial quest) and most automatically repeat. Field/Grounds of Valor are books that are in most leveling zones and ask you to kill a certain number of a certain type of monster and upon completion reward experience, gil and tabs (another currency used to buy buffs form the books).

Combine those leveling systems with the new Trust system and you can basically summon a party at will and allow you to either experience on content that is more rewarding and complete a decent amount of quests/missions without relying on others. With the ability to summon healers, tanks and damage dealers you can have a party of 4 ready to go in no time.

The gearing problem has also been mostly solved. While the auction house is still quite lacking in leveling equipment, there are other ways to get gear now. Most mobs can drop treasure chests which, after playing a simple mini-game to unlock, contain equipment appropriate for the current level of the mob. And those 'sparks' you are earning from RoE can be used to purchase weapons up to level 50. Also all those NMs that used to be immediately killed and/or constantly camped are generally forgotten about so you can get some pretty good stuff just killing whatever you stumble across.

Travel has also been made much, much faster easier. You can now teleport from any homepoint to any other that you have visited! Once you make the trip from your home nation to Jeuno you can teleport back and forth for a small fee. Everyone runs faster now too. There was a 25% speed boost

The goon linkshell is also seeing a revitalization as we are emerging from the dark days of the FFXIV release and the doldrums caused by the lack of "fun" content in the latest expansion. SE also are doing all kinds of log-in campaigns and anniversary campaigns and weird events all the time that give some pretty good rewards. So yeah, now is like the best time ever to return or start playing!

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Abyssea may see a bit of a resurgence since the new ark angels battlefield require 20-30 merit points to enter each time. This may also see a return of some voidwatch NMs since they are a super easy way to get fast experience.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

frodnonnag posted:

In an effort to rennaisance the gently caress outta goon-ffxi and lure in more suckers, does anyone wanna make up some banner ads and/or contribute towards them, or help me flesh out the OP? I think if we did that we could luck out and get a few more addicts back.

Frod feel free to use/amend anything from my post about the new stuff and add it to the OP.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
And use those Stalwart's Tonics since they give you an Acc boost and refresh pretty much instantly.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Are you doing this on WAR? If so you can equip your abyssea regen atma, a level 1 weapon, and just use retaliation and aggressor and pull 10 or so Altepa mandragora.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Just make a character on Quetzalcoatl and post your name here and someone can grab you

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

GreaseMonkey posted:

Well, I set up Greasemonkey in Quetzlcoatl. A hume Red Mage. Unfortunately, when i boot the game up it shows my hp and stamina and a message saying im in bastok with a black screen for an environment and then crashes. I tried all of the settings in the config with no luck. I'm trying to get it fixed but I'm not seeing daylight.

Are you using Windower? Also if you have a newer graphics card make sure "graphics stabiliziation" is checked. FFXI is DX8 and the new cards don't natively support that and it can get messed on sometimes.

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Is NNI able to be soloed now as well? I heard they lowered the entry requirements, curious if it's actually feasible though.

You probably couldn't do sufficient damage and the time it would take for one person to run to all the mobs, even at 400% speed, would be too long.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Leveling is pretty quick now thanks to the Trust NPCS and Records of Eminence and Grounds of Valor. I did RDM 1-49 in about 5 hours solo and only kind of paying attention.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Shaezerus posted:

So how ridiculous is Zeid, and should I regret not having gotten him until they undoubtedly bring his cipher back in another login campaign? I keep feeling like I'm just too far behind the curve now, so I haven't logged in at all. :smith:

I think the verdict on Zeid is he is not that good for DPS because he is a DRK and spends too much time casting.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Eh they might have stealth changed it as part of the quality of life improvements since trading a million millioncorn to a man that is in love with his chocobo only fits the loosest definition of "quest"

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
After randomly playing Ronfaure on piano yesterday I installed this game again and now I am making a new baby Herewaard on Asura to go on adventures with all my old NPC buddies. Someone give me a pearl!

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
How much is 1.5mil gil on Asura? Old Herewaard on Quetz is sitting on that plus who knows what in his inventory and I'm not sure if it's worth the $18 to bring it over. He might also be most of the way to a Lu Shang rod, i dunno

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
THF COR WAR BLM at cap plus a bunch of random stuff partially leveled. Looking at gear history looks like a lot of still useful gear so yeah with that in mind I will bring him over

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

CyberLord XP posted:

When does the bonus exp/capacity points stuff activate?

About 7 hours ago. But it's only for experience chain

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

If I'm reading this right..there's a chance you might get the last two numbers right and be able to get those rings, out of your ten picks but you won't know until June sometime? Fun.

Nope, just talk to a moogle and get the rings.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Time to read Zinn posted:

I asked before but I never got a pearl :(

Just looked for you. I will be around for a few hours if you can log on. I'm Herewaard

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I spent a week as a level 60 PLD getting my AF armor and it was fun af

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I started a new character about a month ago so here are some answers.

DizzyBum posted:

Is there a guide to quickly getting set up with the basics, essential items, and good trusts I should have?

Reddit has some decent, recent returning player guides. If you start before this current login-campaign ends you can get Shantotto-II trust and she is a beast as a BLM. Apuuru is the other common suggestion for WHM and he is available all the time if you join his Unity.

Other important things are to touch every homepoint and survival guide you go by. Once you touch them once you can warp to them from any other homepoint or survival guide. You can also use the Unity warp NPC to get to a whole bunch of places without having to make super long runs.

DizzyBum posted:

Should I just cash in sparks for gear as I level and ignore the AH?

You can ignore gear for the most part. Weapon is primarily what you will want to focus on keeping somewhat current. You level so quickly and Trusts do a lot of the heavy lifting so armor is generally a waste. Furthermore you want to both save enough sparks for gear when you get level 99 and you can convert sparks to gil at ~10gil/spark.

DizzyBum posted:

Is Windower still a thing and should I be using it? I'd especially like to know if there's any working 60fps hacks.

Windower 4 is the thing and it has a built-in plugin finder and updater. The game is hardcoded to 29FPS and the best you can do is get it to 58. Pretty sure getting to true 60 is not possible.

I've been playing slowish and minimizing straight grinding and it's been super fun. By accepting and doing missions right when they are available they have been both challenging and leading to levels by just fighting my way to the destination. I am now level 77, full AF, Rank 10 in my home nation and about 1/4 of the way through RoZ. I've been in most of the original + Zilart zones and completed their Record of Eminence for kills, made over 1million Gil and only needed help on one Rhapsodies quest. I. of course, have no interest in current endgame and just want to goof around in Vana'diel doing what I want.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

HKR posted:

-I can't seem to find a guide or article about how hard it is to start a new character and get to max level. I take it a lot of the pre Abyssea content is left unchanged and still a bitch to go through.

-Most solo leveling guides seem to follow the same path I took in the early days grouping. What changes did they add to make it easier to solo the early content?

Trusts. You can pick a dungeon and fight through it with your own personal army and gain 10 levels, then pick another dungeon and get 10 more levels (of course you need to stop for limit breaks on a first job).

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
CoP is still the best and most Final Fantasy story

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Gruknor posted:

CoP, WotG, SoA, RoV, ToAU, are too Final Fantasy. I like the cut scenes but they are pure cheese and verbose.

Do you wanna fight?!? CoP is amazing and if you are about to rag on my Prishe i will make you an appointment for the icehouse

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Apururu is the best WHM trust in the game. Unless you really need something else she is pretty much the default choice

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Missions

Assault and Campaign happen concurrently with the expansion storylines.

You only need to complete one nation's storyline before moving on to Rise of the Zilart but you can do all 3 if you want.

While you can do RoZ and CoP at the same time, I would recommend finishing RoZ first. You will get a couple CoP cutscenes while workign on RoZ but if you can just remember the gist of what's going on you will be fine.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

bluegarter wiki posted:

Notes
Lilisette will not be available if you are currently undertaking one of the following Wings of the Goddess missions:
Cavernous Maws / Back to the Beginning / Cait Sith / The Queen of the Dance / While the Cat is Away / On Thin Ice / Proof of Valor / A Sanguinary Prelude / Dungeons and Dancers / Distorter of Time / The Will of the World / Adieu, Lilisette / By the Fading Light / Edge of Existence / Her Memories / Forget Me Not / Pillar of Hope / Glimmer of Life / Time Slips Away / When Wills Collide / Whispers of Dawn / Where It All Began* / A Token of Troth* / Lest We Forget*

If you start the mission Where It All Began by completing Maiden of the Dusk, you must finish the Wings of the Goddess storyline, Champion of the Dawn, and A Forbidden Reunion to continue.
If you are stuck without a Lightsworm, go to the Goblin Footprint in Batallia Downs (S) at F-9 and watch all of the Ganged Up On cutscenes , and then wait a game day. After that check the shimmering ??? next to any of the present day maws in Rolanberry Fields, Sauromugue Champaign, or Batallia Downs to get the option to raise your Lightsworm.

Basically the Rhapsodies storyline requires that any NPCs present in the cutscene are not currently incapacitated due to some other mission event. My guess is that you are on one of those missions

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Just making sure you did this part

- Zone into Southern San d'Oria (S) from East Ronfaure (S) for a cutscene.

I didn't see you mention that anywhere in your posts

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Trion is a good starter tank

Shantotto II and Zeid II are great for damage

Apururu or Yoran-Oran are both Unity WHMs and either is a good choice

Koru-Moru is an excellent RDM for support and Ulmia is the better bard.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

hagie posted:

1500-2000 really. It doesn't dip dramatically.

Bahamut server was 300-400 then spiked at 900 the Hangul of days I was on it recently. Asura reminds me of Bahamut in its prime, on non-prime times.

My in game name is Hagie. So just look for a big pink suited Galla running around Bastok Mines

No one ever responds about the linkshell, so I wonder if it is in use anymore.

I'll keep an eye out and try to get you a pearl. Not a lot happens in linkshell chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
This seems like a decent enough starter guide. Also the playonline website has a Play Guide of unknown quality.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/6bqp36/quick_faq_for_all_the_newreturning_players/

And what's your in game name? I can try to get you a pearl for linkshell chat and maybe people can answer questions there