Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
They've done server merges in the past, why is their stance now "Well we don't want to currently, but if we do down the road we'll have to figure out how to first."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
"Progressing through Rhapsodies of Vana'diel will increase the maximum number of alter egos a character can call forth and provide a wide range of other perks."

I wonder what those other perks will wind up being. Something cool that adds up to giving an excuse to go hands off and have everyone running around as crazy god characters would be a nice way to end things. Essentially, "Ok we aren't making any more content because you're all more powerful than anything else so there's no point to attack you anymore" and then exit stage left.

In reality though it will probably be allowing access for porter moogles to hold an extra slip and increasing merit points again.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
I was able to duo the final stretch of storyline missions with a Paladin and RDM. Ironically, the final boss couldn't even hit me for more than 5 damage.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Does anyone know how to get Project Tako back up and running? I never took the time to learn but if I'm going to be playing this stupid game again then I would actually like to do that at some point, in case they continue to break things long after whoever created it has quit.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

G Prestige posted:

Mine's working. http://projecttako.com/

Edit - unless you mean in the future, when he quits, if it'll still be maintained? At that point, if nobody is updating movement programs, I probably won't play.

I keep getting .net errors when I try it now, and nothing has changed except the may 19th patch :( The collision and not having to stop every time you use any ability is worth the risk. Yeah it can do a lot more but as you've said that part is mostly unnecessary.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 25, 2015

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Afterglow fishing poles, what a time to be alive!

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Selim Sivad posted:

Just came back this week. Does FFACE not work anymore? Used to work fine, but CTDs now whenever I open it.

Also it'd be rad if I could get a pearl sometime. Name's Odjenar

I haven't been able to get gambot to work in months, I imagine mytool (or whatever it's called) is in a similar situation. Clipper/Tako are all back to normal though so at least there's that.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

frodnonnag posted:

General consensus on clipper and bots is that you will be nailed fast and promptly banned within a month. I've already lost quite a few friends to it.

Yeah if you're fleeing all over the place and teleporting around I'm sure they'll come down on you. If you're just using it for ja0wait and the GM flag there isn't much they can do.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Starting in 2016, flat out yes. Currently, if you value your sanity and want modern quality of life features, also yes. If you want a resolution higher than 640x480 then also, also yes.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Need? No.

But nobody will take you anywhere without both due to everyone's "only the best or it's a waste of my time" mentality.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
RUN is a monster against mobs that do magical damage, and a lot of their abilities have high hate values so even though it doesn't seem like you're doing much to tank you actually are. It feels weird, like there's something you should be doing that you can't, but just ride it out.

Most event mobs are now almost entirely magical damage based, you'll be hard pressed to find a fight where it's all physical anymore, and there are even a lot of "breath" damage type moves showing up as well that don't count as physical or magical. The catch is that there's almost always one or two big tank busters of both kinds for each mob. This is why PLD pretty much "needs" an aegis, just to keep the damage manageable, and can sort of get away with one of the new block rate shields over an ochain (you'll really feel the loss of the mana regain though) but you'll be swapping between shields a lot mid fight which is why cure macros for gearswap are such a big thing in "high end" paladin play. It allows you to still get a lot of threat even though you will almost always be dumping your TP due to swapping shields. This mixed with the fact that damage threat modifiers got reduced significantly, but healing didn't, you practically have to play with them in order to not kill healers instantly.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Chances are good they will be to give the player a decent grind with the reward at the end fully pushing you into the "unkillable god" tier to go along with everything else they've done to shift the game into a single player experience like the trusts system and all the rhapsody key items. There's plenty of current content (mostly spawned NMs and BCNM fights) that it would help substantially for to solo if it came with bonuses like extreme damages, skill levels, and damage reduction. The fact that they will come with aftermaths and weaponskills that create skillchains stronger than light/dark is a pretty big indicator, and that paired with a potential ilvl boost past 119 and suddenly you and all your trusts have a large advantage on a lot of things. There's no reason to believe they are going to add in a new type of relic weapon that is literally named "the best forever" and not have them be designed specifically to be the last weapons you'll ever need no matter what you want to do on a scale that will be unheard of as of yet.

The writing is on the wall for the game and anyone who thinks in a year there will be servers with more than 100 people on at peak (let alone multiple servers at all) is living in a nostalgia tinted fever dream.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Holyshoot posted:

Come back to FFXIV Anna. Patch is in a few weeks!

I'm going to level with you, not having to grind out esoterics every week just to try and stay relevant when there's still no silver lining to the paladin class and the only two extreme dungeons are incredibly boring and not fun was one of the better decisions I've made in 2015. It really didn't help that I didn't find Alexander savage any fun either, and hammy goblin antics with pretty pretty dress-up on top never appealed to me in the first place.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 29, 2015

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
A reward to make it easier to spot a BST/BLU/COR at a distance in this crazy new lockstyle world, maybe they'll even let more than one be rendered on screen at the same time!

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Even with 3x capacity points you're still looking at hundreds of hours worth of grinding for the average player. I imagine Apex camps will be going bonkers though, 3-6 points per kill :getin:

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

CubsWoo posted:

According to the end credits (yes, FFXI is an MMO with an end credit roll after you finish RoV) the NA side is down to 5 GMs and 2 SGMs.

Also, outside of some very specific high end gear setups, the last fight is not something that is easily soloable with trusts.

It is easy to solo about halfway and then just watch as the NPC continually reraises itself to zombie down the boss for you a half hour later.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Really let down by those final key items not just breaking the game in half. You literally become 2 gods and then tape yourself back together to become a super god so you can punch the literal embodiment of entropy in the face, so why is it the only thing you get is +90% capacity points? You mean to tell me that the worst thing to ever exist ever is just as strong as a land-shark hanging out in a cave still, or any other random BC monster? Really disappointing.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 13, 2015

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
But the point would still remain that anything new they put out from this point on, and anything previous that is considered "top tier" content, is stronger than literally the worst thing imaginable that is devouring entire universes left and right. They don't even hand-wave it away like they do in 14 with the hard modes being an exaggerated retelling of events from a drunk bard.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Whenever you see someone say "Easily soloable" keep in mind that the person is most likely talking about a completely pimped out 119 BLU with every spell, mountains of gearswap macros set up, and thousands of job points. Much like in any other game ever, when someone on the internet says it's easy, it's not actually easy they are just out of touch with the real world.

Alluvion Cirdas/Rala are not very solo friendly for most classes, there are a lot of huge AoE moves and really nasty debuffs. Yorcia is only doable because most of the heavy lifting can be done by the NPCs you summon instead, and even then you have to have a really good understanding of the random map layouts to be able to farm up enough points to keep summoning, and make it back to your book quickly to actually spend them. If you can do 1/1/1 by yourself and are ok with it then by all means keep going, but there isn't really any downside to going with a shout group either since each person gets their own unique treasure pool and the only thing to fight over is the random drops. Generally if you use a sword instead of a cape you're going to have a much easier time since it favors melee damage over the cape and sash. Everything is on both a timer and a floor limit, so obviously the more people you have the faster thigns will go so you can get to the top floor. Plus once past the first floor there's a chance that you'll spawn the boss instead of the regular enemy base and he can drop a lot of stuff.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

People exp this way at 99 for Job Points as was mentioned. It's a bit faster paced than old exp parties, but it's the same style pull, kill, repeat. Just mobs die in 20 seconds.

Alternatively if you want a really classic experience, check out the Nasomi private server. The admin there is hardcore into old school, so much so she's removed functionality from the private server code to keep it harder. It's locked at 75 cap. Locked to CoP era (no TOAU, but they do have the TOAU jobs added), and a whole host of other changes.
http://nasomi.com/
It's one of the more popular private servers. I've given it a try due to nostalgia, but I just don't have the time in my life for that kind of grind. :(

How is this popular, everything about it sounds terrible. I knew a lot of die-hard FFXI fans and even they all loved the new quality of life changes and the Abyssea systems, this server is actively working to never go down those roads though?

I know scripting on private servers is always difficult, especially when most things are stored server side so they basically have to write everything by hand, but it seems like there aren't any private servers around that offer anything that has made this game actually fun and instead focus solely on trying to recreate that god awful crab grinding treadmill with no point from ten years ago. That game was so ridiculous that the developers of the "sequel" even recognized it as the joke that it is and used it to give PTSD flashbacks to people who move on to 14 with their Iroha event.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
That's the crazy part about that particular server, they did have ToAU but turned it off and reverted back to CoP and moved the new job NPCs into old zones so you could still use them. I guess colibri camps were just too much for the old guard.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
The regular version of seekers is also just the expansion, it doesn't even come with the main game.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
It's the second strongest class in the game so do what makes you feel good.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
The accuracy probably wouldn't be so bad if melees weren't also required to have damage taken -% along with it just to deal with the absurd AoE spam that everything does these days. Basically the game has returned to the lovely years of mages only, and SAM's meditating on the sidelines.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Gruknor posted:

The thing is, you really only need one or two melee to help make skillchains for magic burst strats. The only alliance content that would require more melee is incursion, but you can cheese it with magic burst as well.

Which is the problem I'm describing, in that it alienates more than half the available jobs when nobody wants anything other than SMN, GEO, BLM, with a single tank and 1-2 samurai to make the donuts. It's everything that sucked about CoP but on steroids.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
As dumb as the whole system was, at least Voidwatch got jobs off the bench to cover procs. I would never want to go back to that, but for a few brief terrible moments people got to actually play jobs they liked.

Does anyone want to try and do Delve this week? I really need the hat from the ice cat and I'm sure there's 1 or 2 other people who wouldn't mind actually unlocking the key items across the board.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 17, 2016

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
By this point you probably have 1000000000000 stones, and you can solo that guy on pretty much any melee job real easily, just spam cells on it and hope for the best.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

MikeyKins posted:

Being in the current "waiting for next expansion" WoW lull, I reinstalled this to mess around and see if it holds my attention. Is there a good "hey, you haven't played since 2012, here's what you need to know" guide somewhere?

You can poke around on Reddit but honestly, so much has changed now that it is very difficult to wrap your head around all of it and you're better off picking a single goal in mind then figuring out how to work towards that.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Not to mention that in order to combat how sturdy tanks can get now they've had to scale up enemy damage considerably and are still working under the same system of "aoe = challenge" so most regular melee jobs simply fall over dead within seconds of engaging. Then they went and gave a mage job the ability to make skillchains with itself from max range so you can imagine what everyone plays now.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
If anybody is interested in leveling other jobs for whatever reason, I finally got Reclum to a point where I can start cleaving job points so most evenings you'll probably find me in the Sih Gates (ceizak) basement. I'm not the fastest or the best, but hey it's free XP and who can complain about that.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Qultada's coming back too for like the first time in a year and a half! What makes Amchuchu so good anyways? Is he just a magic damage version of August?

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
"Storage - Making reading process into a two-step process" good god, this can not come fast enough. Geomancer's also getting some spell tweaks, wonder if that's going to be a nerf to try and get bards back in the game?

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Those new capes are crazy strong with all those augments, and the summoner one gives another avatar level. Frod's reign of terror continues to grow...

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
There's a bonus campaign coming the 11th but it's all poo poo and doesn't have XP so that's at least 3 weeks of XP/CP sobriety, kill me now.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Also you can't play any of the melee jobs except blue mage, they all "suck" and nobody will want to do anything with you.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Heads up you can get Kupofried, the bounty clock, and the infinite XP/CP rings during this event FYI

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
The event page doesn't really say anything about it, but yeah you just talk to the dude and he gives you a pick of 6 items, the 2 xp/cp infinite use rings, the 2 xp/cp 3 time use rings, and the 2 chairs. You can only pick 2 of the items to actually take though so make it count! There's a red treasure chest next to him with literally every anniversary item from the past events sitting in it that you can take as many as you want of, including the behemoth gear, the clock, kupofried's cipher along with a handful of others, and any/all of the old evening wear. If you talk to a moogle and he just gives you a shirt and there's no chest around then that's the wrong one.

pretty soft girl posted:

Hey I just remembered that I only have up to WotG on my account and I'm trying to decide if I want to drop a couple of bucks getting Abyssea and Adoulin. I don't really have any interest in grouping up, how much content will I be able to tackle solo these days? I know trusts apparently help quite a bit, will I be able to enjoy any content from expansions after WotG playing by myself casually? Keep in mind I was happier than a pig in poo poo to jump onto a private server a year ago and solo raptors in Cape Terrigan for hours on end so my threshold for enjoying myself isn't very high

also I kind of want to leverage my existing level 75 jobs, is there any particular choice that's best for soloing in terms of efficiency/survivability or do the trusts kind of even everything out? I had SAM RDM COR DRG WAR RNG DNC and PLD at 75. Is DRG/RDM self-healing still a thing? I started playing this game in high school and I am almost 30 now and don't know anything about anything anymore.

Jobs are in a weird place now, leveling and soloing you're probably fine with whatever depending on your available trusts. It's literally a party of AI NPCs acting as tank/healer/dps so no worries there. Also leveling is piss easy and crazy fast once you start raking in the XP bonus key items from the Rhapsodies quests. I power-leveled leveled someone from 1-99 in only an hour 3 days ago because of the XP campaign going on.

You can do pretty much everything "solo" now by just summoning a party of trusts. Abyssea is pretty cool if you like grinding mobs because there's probably a hundred different treadmills stacked on top of each other in those 3 zones but most of the rewards can't hold a candle to the item level gear introduced in Adoulin. Seekers of Adoulin is pretty cool and again you can just use the trust system to get through most everything there as well. But more importantly, the Adoulin zones are basically where everything goes down these days outside of the Escha zones (which you got since that was a free questline they added for everyone. In fact, that one's probably the biggest treadmill of them all since to progress you have to make your way through all the previous expansions to unlock followup quests.

Basically, the game is a solo wonderland and anything you can't do with trusts you can just ask in Get Out for a hand with. There's not many of us but usually everyone jumps at the chance to do something for someone else.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 18, 2016

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Holyshoot posted:

Not that you really need them if you go in as thf/cor but can you use trusts in the ToAU place that lets you farm up the currency for a mythic weapon? Also can trusts be used in Abysea yet?

Trusts can be used in Abyssea but not in Salvage. For some reason you still can't use them in Salvage, Legion, and Burrows.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I quit before WotG came out and I have an arbitrarily specific question! Back in the day I had BLM75 and a full set of HQ elemental staves. Given that they were +15% damage and also randomly +accuracy... how the hell did SE ever actually replace those? Sure, numbers go up as they raise the cap to 99, but weapon damage didn't factor into spells and a flat percentage buff is a difficult bonus to outperform. Did they add other things with better percentage buffs? Bite the bullet and remove the staves? Rework the spell damage formula? Add enough other gear with the same +potency buff that the staves were outclassed by better options?

I'm just super curious because this thread was right above the XIV thread which I actually read because I play that game and I got all nostalgic for my Aquilo's Staff and I'm the kind of nerd who thinks real hard about formulas :shobon:

There's a whole big equation that calculates how you do damage with spells and basically it takes into account about a dozen different modifiers. The +#% bonus to damage is only one of those modifiers so the elemental staves easily get blown out of the water when you have new staves with 5+ modifiers on it like a decent chunk of INT, Magic Attack Bonus, Magic Accuracy (helps with resists and doing full v partial damage), and a new stat they've added simply called Magic Damage that is a flat boost added to your numbers. Weapon damage doesn't factor into spells, but caster weapons are covered in stats now that very much do.

It's not unheard of to see well equipped mages hitting the damage cap (99,999) on magic bursts now.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 17, 2016

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Zero The Hero posted:

I never knew what it was that Goldsmiths did that was supposed to make them so much gil.

You can buy a astack of 99 "avatar"-ites and with enough skill and some luck, you can make the top tier HQs at a rate of about 5%. Which means (for the real moneymakers) an initial cost of 1-3mil for 99 stones, and 2-3 mil for every tear you make, you could pretty easily make a 5-10 mil profit per stack. For short term 100% profit you can buy 99 stacks of the cheaper ones like Fenrites (~100k) and just sell everything you make to a vendor for about 2x the cost of the stack (~200k). This is great for some quick cash but supplies are limited since nobody really goes after the scrub tier avatar rocks.

Without even touching abdjuration gear and just selling these rocks I was able to make about 50 mil in a week. That's not super impressive for the real craft barons though, the insane money comes from taking those tears and turning them into HQ rings, where you could make upwards of 20-30m on 1 synth, but it's risky and the tears themselves are a consistent enough moneymaker for the lazy crafter. Plus it involves synergy, and gently caress synergy.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
I am proud to have helped you hate yourself, if only in some small way.