Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Majumbo posted:

-Select the title screen music you want!!!

That's nice. I hate the Seekers music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, the Wings of the Goddess one is legit. It just has this jaunty fuckin' attitude that makes me feel like fun is about to happen.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
"Everyone runs faster" is a cool feature. This whole update sounds great, but I don't know if I can get back into it.

FFXIV has kinda left me cold, because it doesn't feel like as intricate and well-realized a place as Vana'diel, but I just don't know if I can handle it.

I'm stressed out just thinking about it.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Well that is some weird news.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

DizzyBum posted:

Not gonna lie, if I could pay a couple bucks extra a month for a FFXI/FFXIV all-access subscription, I'd jump on that and mess around in Vana'diel some more.

I was happy with that option when the OG FFXIV was running, and it was a bummer when it didn't come back with A Realm Reborn.

If they brought that back, I'd have two games to log in to, stare at for two seconds, and then immediately log out of every once in a while.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Welp, I'm playing this ridiculous game again, not that I know when I'm going to find the time to get anything accomplished. (In as Portario; thanks for the pearl, homies.)

And for some reason I decided to read this loving insane, horrible thread: http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/46528/are-men-going-their-own-way-mgtow

I just wanted to share my pain.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Wait, what's the clock?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
drat, that brings me back. You're definitely getting an authentic experience of classic FFXI!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

WarMECH posted:

The "Level Down..." animation and sound makes me giggle every time it happens.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTIwBDNDO4M

Thanks for posting it, getting a lot of use out of it on social media this morning.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Minrad posted:

they are maybe, finally, updating the awful playonline client and creating a modern way to access this terrible game

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/55210-Freshly-Picked-Vana-diel-44-Digest?p=614384#post614384

Wow, that's big news. Installing, updating and logging in to this game is such a nightmare.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

jokes posted:

I have a feeling it has to do with your playonline ID/Password which was what I first had an issue with.

Yeah, that poo poo is confusing.

You're like assigned an ID and password which are buried somewhere in the account management system, totally separate from your square enix user name and password.

edit: I wonder if they're going to ditch that stuff as part of their effort to smooth stuff out. I think they could also get rid of the POL internal email system, which is super weird, but I guess probably seemed cool if you were playing on PS2 and didn't have a computer.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
It might be in an email somewhere, but otherwise, go to the account management system. If you look under your service options or whatever they call it, you'll see the ID, pointed out in cyan. (Mine starts with YQJ.) You can change the password if you hit the options button, and find another button to update your playonline password.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
OK, at the top right of the screenshot I posted, you'll see a button that says "Add a service account."

If you click on that, it should give you a place to enter a code. Then you can put in the main reg code for the game, and it'll apply it to your playonline ID. (You should have received a code when you bought the game.)

Their terminology is bad, and there are extra layers of complication, because you can have more than one playonline ID attached to your square enix ID, so when you register a product, you have to make sure it's being registered to the proper account.

You should also have codes for any expansions that you own.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Put it on Switch.

I guess that's not really a question.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Official special (classic/progression) servers seems like a dicey proposition. One of the biggest differences between old FFXI and current FFXI is that you need a bunch of people to get poo poo done, and they'd be further fracturing a small playerbase, right? Honestly, I have no idea how many people play this game now.

Anyway, it would be a bunch of work to implement, and potentially wasted effort. It's the kind of thing people think they want, until they actually get it, and then they drop off like flies. Anecdotally, I know a lot of people who jumped onto WoW Classic, and exactly zero of them are still playing.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Bastok has the best music, and is therefore the best city.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Frog Act posted:

I’m pretty impressed with the windower graphics, it enhanced them enough my lovely laptop was starting to have trouble, so I’m turning them back down a bit. But wow it looks great, I can’t wait to see how it runs with all these tweaks installed on my real PC.

One thing that I found helped a ton was using this dll that makes the game sort of use Direct3D 9 instead of 8. https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/129943-Direct3D8-to-Direct3D9-Proxy-Performance-Helper-(For-FFXI)

I think specifically it works because 9 introduced (or fixed) switchable graphics. When you're playing on a laptop that has both a crappy integrated graphics chipset (some intel junk) and a dedicated GPU, the unmodified game will just run on the first thing it sees, which is the lovely one. This DLL makes it detect the better one and use that instead.

It won't do anything on your desktop, but if your laptop has two GPUs it could be worth a try.

There's also a Glide wrapper that some people use with the game that's supposed to offer major performance improvements, but it seems fiddly to get up and running.

edit: the end of the linked thread mentions some alternative methods of achieving similar things, maybe those are worth a look, too.

Edit2: just tried the last one, dxwrapper, and it does seem to have better performance, and doesn’t seem to have the z-fighting issues with shadows that the other dll has.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 28, 2020

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Frog Act posted:

Where are the main trust vendors? I know there are some from the login campaign, do the others come from story stuff?

You can buy a bunch from the city guard NPCs who are part of the conquest campaign or whatever it’s called. Homies who hang by the gate and cast signet on you, letting you earn crystals and conquest points (?).

God, trying to explain anything in this game makes you realize how esoteric it is.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Some of the zones in this game are so loving confusing to navigate. Trying to do the level 65 LB, and I've been running around Davoi and the Monastic Cavern, and it sucks, even with wikis and maps.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
My echad strategy is to forget I have it and never activate it.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I would never violate the code of bushido like you lowly curs.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
If the last time you played was early in the game’s life, then your character doesn’t exist anymore. They used to delete them after a certain amount of inactivity.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Don’t mind me, just a dirty little Sewer Syrup.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

The Chairman posted:

last year I wrote an arrangement of Bastok's town music, a group asked to record it, and here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAm6td-tWrA

This rules.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I mean, the proper way to play the game is with a gamepad. The keyboard is only there for chatting.

Unless you're some kind of virgin, I guess.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
FFXIV 1.0 was very strange.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, there’s an external configuration program to set up your binds. It’s the more natural way to play for sure.

Technically you can be more efficient with a keyboard I guess, but in terms of basic movement and stuff, you can tell it was a console game first, with some awkward pc controls shoehorned in later.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Is it worth fuckin’ with these slimes?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I want a Joachim action figure.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

FrostyPox posted:

Gamepad weirdness

This is a more general tip, but I’ve found that if Steam is running it can try to hijack and reconfigure all your controllers. Some of that poo poo is useful, but I’ve had it create havoc when I’m not using it on purpose.

Probably not what’s happening, but that’s been my big controller issue recently.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

ziasquinn posted:

i got this running on steamdeck :cool:

too bad i don’t play anymore :(

Last time I messed with it on the deck, the performance was very bad. Did you have any luck on that front?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

ziasquinn posted:

tbh i didn’t leave my mog house so idk

Smart!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Got a new ~timepiece~