Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Gruknor posted:

Outer Ra'Kaznar can be done without cupper, so that would be fine. Just because other people use it, does not mean you will get in trouble for it. Scouting areas for more mobs to speed things up, but it is not a requirement.

Oh I know, I'm not worried about getting banned or anything. It's just not my style, I'd rather play the events as intended. I take a lot of pride in my character and what I've earned.

Doesn't bother me if others do it though. To each his own!
(I know this is super hypocritical since I use windower and plugins :x)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Or just take one of the 5 warps each zone has now. Getting around Vanadiel takes seconds now, even legit ways.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Gruknor posted:

P.S. Is Wararies a goon or just an honorary goon?

He's a real life friend of Gaspode and I. I'm actually not sure if he has an SA account or not.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Gruknor posted:

Is Gaspode back as well? I haven't seen him in awhile, but I saw you and Wararies wandering around naked wrestling each other.

Sadly he is not. He has too much willpower I guess, while Wara and I are weak naked fools.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I also need some synergy help for the exact same thing, I want to get cure potency on my genbus shield.

Kazy posted:

BUGS OF SPRING -- you're Tanag in-game right? I think you were the one with high-level synergy, and I need to get my Genbu Shield augmented. I got a Genbu's seal, but it's on my mule and I can't dbox it.

Yeah I am Tanag. Sorry I didn't get to you last night Suteru. I started dozing off in the last Skirmish and went to sleep after. I am a jerk!
I'll be around the same time tonight and can augment for both if ya.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Kazy posted:

Got +4% Cure Potency and MP+22 on my shield! :toot:

I also made a thing like it was 2006:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_7w8-nxv2I

Its better than the 3% I got myself. Grats!

Let me know if anyone else needs things synergized.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Kazy posted:

Either is good for me. I just want Wyrmal Head if it drops from KB :v:

I've been popping a ton of shanks as well if you wanna come for KB. 0/43 on ring now :(

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Unfortunately that's correct. They nerfed it pretty hard, so now its a lot of work for just 300k a day. 600k top end.
Used to be 1-2mil. :(

Ebisu is really only useful for Shapers Shawl now, which is still decent money if ya get a hungry crafter with big pockets, but unreliable.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

LiquidFriend posted:

I've been FFXI free for awhile and gotta say, I do not miss this awful game.

You liar. You dream about it nightly. Don't deny it.

Yeah Phagen is still around. I don't see him shouting much anymore. Maybe he just has 5 mules now so he can play solo.
As bad as that guy is, I always gave him credit for organizing shouts. It was particularly nice when VW was more common. Could rely on him for making some good money when bored off HMP.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Male of the Century posted:

I finally finished making an Aegis and now I just don't know what I'm doing with my life.

Time for Excalibur!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Well Gaspode is back, so we figured we'd get his Ochain done as efficiently as possible.

frodnonnag posted:

Burtgang is better.

Well the real answer is both. I mean what if you ever have to dual wield?

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I'm about half done Burtgang and it's really not that bad, especially once you get going. It's really slow and easy to slack, so I started tracking everything in Excel and seeing the numbers go up is a good motivator.

Assaults were mostly easy. I solo'd them all except for Azure Ailments. Worst part is this takes a minimum 50 days to do.
Ein my LS does, but I see Tab shouting for it daily and he doesn't seem to have issues getting 6 to enter. 1920 points per T3, so another 50~ days if you go everyday. Overlaps with Assault tags at least.
NI is better than I thought. Wararies and I are duoing it for 6-8k a run each. We just alternate who spends the 1900 to start us at floor 95. Lamp floors still suck, but they don't feel as common as in NNI.
Assuming 5k average run with cost removed thats another 30 days of tags.

That's 80 days minimum due to assault tags, assuming you already have captain. Not terrible really. Only Ein requires daily work to do, the rest you can do every 5 days in bulk.

Alex is really slow, but easy too. You can get almost 100 guaranteed per run of AR2. So farming daily that's 300 days. 80 of which are required anyway for tags. You'll have lots of runs with more than 100 too.
It's safe to assume you'll be buying Alex with all your spare gil as well. I am. So I figure its gonna be half farmed at most at the rate I am going, so 100-150 days total for Alex.
I have my Salvage runs down to 20-25min now. I just get my unlocks then run right to the gears floor. Farming the other NMs has a chance to increase yield, but I was getting burnt out so I just rush it as fast as possible now. It's a lot easier to stay on track with just 30min a day.

ZNMs are a joke. With the update that made it 15x the reward for pictures that stage only takes a day of running around killing easy NMs and taking pics.

So you're looking at 80-150~ days depending on how much ichor and tokens you start with.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Ugh you're right, when you put those sentences together it sounds absurd.
I guess I got battered wife syndrome. It's not that bad! SE is really nice to me when no one else is around. I swear!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Lord Psychodin posted:

So, a quick question about getting this game to run in an older PC setup - Has anyone found/tested an AMD processor that seems to run good for this game? I got an older PC for super cheap recently, but it produces frameskips and graphics lag, despite the the requirements being well over the recommended specs. Anyone have a clue what would work to fix this? I've heard this was a problem a long time ago that was somewhat widespread with multicore CPUs, but I've had no luck in finding advice on it. Anyone have any advice?

I recall way back when people had found solutions to problems like this by using older video card drivers.
Your mileage may vary now since so many updates would be out, but may be worth a shot grabbing some era appropriate drivers if possible.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

The latest SE dev post is great.

quote:

We understand some players have issues with Trusts like Koru-Moru and Karuha-Baruha using haste only on front line jobs. Our thought when creating these Trusts is that we wanted them to be useful in many situations. If you had Trusts that could cast haste on all jobs, it would almost constantly be casting haste if you had a full 6 man party.

After years of being a RDM main this is almost insulting. Oh SE... :rolleyes:

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I'm really excited for some of those WS updates.

Rudra's is already bonkers in some situations, surprised it's on the list.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

You can get 99 in a day now. Doing the caps is the most annoying part, but if you are already 75 it's less hassle.

Getting BLU spells will also be annoying, but more in a time sink sense.

Current content is nothing like Aht Urghan content unfortunately. But with the new level caps thats all soloable and fun to go back to. So if you really liked that era you can go relive all of Salvage, Assaults, and the missions solo without a problem. Especially as BLU.

Overall the game is really accessible now. You can do a ton solo/low man.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Abyssea is where you will level super fast. Unfortunately the parties there aren't quite as common. But you'll see a shout most nights and can get in as a keyer.

Be sure to read this guide: http://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Returning_to_Vana%27diel
There is tons of info for a returning player. The most important thing is to start your Abyssea stone count by talking to the NPC. You'll be pretty limited the first day or 2 till you squire some stones.

2nd be sure to activate your Records of Eminence quests. You'll need the currency (Sparks) to get your first set of real gear once you hit 99.

3rd, get some Trusts. These are NPCs that join your party so you can solo most of the game. Once you have these you can solo till you manage to score a spot in an Abyssea party and then fly up.

Once you get an Abyssea party, if you aren't 75 you'll be expected to be a keyer. To key you spend currency(Cruor), obtained in Abyssea from mobs like exp, to buy keys. You use these keys to open chests which give everyone a bonus to exp and cruor amoung other things. Since you wont have currency at the start just go there and leech for 30min or so. Then you can run back and buy keys and be productive.
If you are 75, just join as a DD and fight what everyone else does. This would be ideal so you can skillup as you level. Be sure to unlock the 75 cap quest so you can get 80. Then every 5 levels cap your merits as well as exp, warp out and do the next level cap. They are all easy (merits and seals which you get exping, ask to lot them), till 95 which you will need help for. Be sure to cap merits each time and after you do the cap quest spend any extra merits and head back to the party. The reason you do this is exp comes in exponentially in Abyssea, so the longer you are there the faster it is. It's more efficient to cap merits and spend em every time.

If you are on Quetz feel free to send me a tell in game, my name is Tanag, and I can explain anything else. I'm usually busy when I am on though so I won't be able to just carry you through content :( I can help with the 95 cap though.

Good luck!

Edit: Beastmaster is more or less the same, except they rely on jug pets now instead of charming. So you just buy the jugs you need. Charming has basically fallen off as mobs in new areas aren't charmable.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I like how the gifts go completely against the original casual idea of job points. Oh SE!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Nothings changed there. Pretty sure there is just 1 GM now so it's pretty safe to just hack away.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

LiquidFriend posted:

I don't miss FFXI at all.

Liar. There is no escape.
See you soon!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, granted I have SoA for PC and 360, and FFXI is absolutely the worst on PS2 but the HDD is $25 and well I wouldn't need PS2 memory cards anymore.

Also I'm curious as to what happens. I wonder if I can log in but just not go to expansion areas, or if I can't log in at all.

You just can't enter the expansion areas. Your account will work fine.

I don't recall being able to use the HD as a memory card either. I think you could backup your cards to it, but still needed a memory card for games that can't see the HD (most).
BUT I could be wrong, I haven't used it in a decade. Just check into it first if that's a reason you may buy it.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Pick Windurst if you love rhyming, children, and sexy cat girls.
Pick Sandoria if you want to exp in the nicest looking zone.
Pick Bastok if you like sand and rocks and want to play an ugly game for the first few hours.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

There are some tools out there that show you the id of mobs, I always used those to find the exact placeholder so I knew it was dying. You can usually google what the placeholder ID is and sometimes its listed on the wiki.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

G Prestige posted:

Did these programs place the mobid in the widescan list?

Nah they just had an overlay that showed you the ID of your current target.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I doubt it will be any kind of expansion. If it was they woulda used their PAX booth to announce it :(

My guess is updated road map. Maybe announce some server merges. I've heard some servers are as low as 400 on in prime time.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Abyssea was the best. It's the most fun i've had in ages in the game. There was so much to do and you could do it all with just a couple close friends.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't release more content like it. It brought a ton of people back to the game and catered pretty well to both casual and end game players.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 20, 2015

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Haks are Hauryu fish. They used to sell for 10k each to NPCs so it was crazy money. Now they've been nerfed to hell and just isn't worth it, especially if you aren't already capped fishing. To reel them in reliably you need the proper gear, which is a huge timesink (and can cost a ton for Ebisu rod if you are unlucky).

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

It broke in an update and the devs never fixed it. So yeah they are useless. :(

Gearswap is miles better anyways, so while it's a bit of work you'll be glad you made the swap.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I plan to resub for the finale. Might as well see the story through.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

12 has a bit of a rough start, but once you get to the point where Vaan isn't really a part of the story and just along for the ride it gets great.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Yeah you're crazy, Abyssea was the best. I don't think I had that much fun in ages really. Being able to accomplish a lot with a small group is what FFXI needed at that stage in its life. It also broke down a lot of walls on what jobs were NEEDED. Sure the cookie cutter jobs were the best, but you could roll in as any job and get poo poo done too. I actually wish they had done more with it.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Celador posted:

I saw a link on Blue Gartr to download the game and expansions, without using the slower POL servers. Can I download that now to get the game installed before I start my free month? I'm busy for the next couple of weeks with work/family stuff so I don't want to activate the new account until I can actually sit down and play.

Does the download include the patches? Or will I have to sit thru 8 hours of "downloading... checking... installing..." like in the old days?

I'm not sure if that download has all the patches, but if it does then you still have to sit through a POL file check. It's not terribly long, but is still a bit slow since it's POL. It seems to go a lot faster if POL is the active window so I'd just turn off your speakers and afk for a bit.

The monthly patches are always posted as zips on BG. So if you look hard enough you could find them all (assuming the links aren't broken). They are usually posted in the patch discussion or dat mining threads for each patch.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Everyone said I wasted money getting a full set of Kaiser. Well who's laughing now!?

Probably not me... If it's anything like AF/Relic the cost between NQ and HQ will be minor :smith:

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Odds are since the game is "pretty much dead" they've just automated it. With the game going into maintenance mode they will be looking to automate as much as possible.
So before when a special task force person might not give a poo poo or be too busy so they let stuff slide, the automated system doesn't care how minor the infraction is.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

blablablabla posted:

Yeah no I wanted some good old, pull one crab at a time so a band of a few players could kill it. Oh well

People exp this way at 99 for Job Points as was mentioned. It's a bit faster paced than old exp parties, but it's the same style pull, kill, repeat. Just mobs die in 20 seconds.

Alternatively if you want a really classic experience, check out the Nasomi private server. The admin there is hardcore into old school, so much so she's removed functionality from the private server code to keep it harder. It's locked at 75 cap. Locked to CoP era (no TOAU, but they do have the TOAU jobs added), and a whole host of other changes.
http://nasomi.com/
It's one of the more popular private servers. I've given it a try due to nostalgia, but I just don't have the time in my life for that kind of grind. :(

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I guess it's just nostalgia. That's what drove me to try it. Then I quickly realized it's a massive time sink and gave up after some bad parties in the dunes.

So I attribute it to rose tinted glasses. I just started college when FFXI came out and had a ton of free time so I guess the grind was more tolerable.
These days current FFXI fits my busy life well. So I'm happy it's evolved.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Looks like it's $9 right now on Amazon.

http://amzn.com/B00AWEMODK

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

It's a shame Ambuscade is just not a fun event. The fight is over, even on VD, in less time than it takes to farm the KI and actually get into the event. Then the fights are just kinda boring :(
Hopefully next month the battles are more interesting and challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

That second screenshot shows 4 different currencies in the menu.
I get the feeling this is gonna be an IAP nightmare :smith: