Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tindalos
May 1, 2008
For people starting off, I would recomend the Sartar:Kingdom of Heroes sourcebook.

It's set in one of the most detailed areas, and concentrates on the storm worshipping Orlanthi barbarians, who are often people's first introduction to the game.

Rulewise, the book is intended to be used with the HeroQuest second edition ruleset, but given how narrativist and ruleslight that system is, the book should present little difficulty with being used with the system of your choice.

As a sourcebook, it contains several good maps of the area, a description of the various cultures found there, from the Orlanthi, through the Lunar invaders, and even the Ducks. It also comes with a campaign, but your milage may vary on that, I've found it a bit too railroad-focused for my tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

advokat posted:

"Knights" just seem a bit more evocative and less cumbersome to say than "Men of All" to me, I guess. :v: And I'm not sure if it's really much worse than all the Greek terms in Dara Happa and all the Norse terms among the Orlanthi, which also can be a little misleading as to the nature of those cultures. But I think see your point(s).

What do they call the "churches" now? Sects?

Personally, for my notes on the west I've favoured the term "Paragon" as a one-word replacement for Knight and Man-of-All.

Churches seem to now be Schools.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
While unfortunately out of print, if you can find a copy the unfinished work Revealed Mythologies would be a good source for both Pamaltela (Fonrit included) and Kralorela.

For other Fonritan sources, while I'd recommend Enclosure II, that's also out of print.

For something that is in print, Tradetalk issue 14 would be your best bet.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Ah, but the Orlanthi know (or at least the Fronelan Orlanthi) that the Hsunchen are merely Orlanthi who forgot themselves.

You see, when Orlanth was king of the world, some strangers who were the Logic Tribe invaded Fronela. They defeated Orlanth for they could not be harmed by his magic, and so the Storm Tribe fled until the Logic Tribe's doom overcame them.

The gods all took different forms (Like Humakt being a wolf, Ernalda a sow, and Heort a stag) and fled into the wilderness.

When the Logic Tribe eventually crumbled, the Storm Tribe returned, except for those who fled too far, or became lost. And these are the hsunchen.

(Source: Vadrus and the Logic Tribe: Anaxial's Roster, pgs 72-74)

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

BlindGuy posted:

We need more Gloranthan gaming.

Funny you should say this. I'm now recruiting for a game set in Seshnela.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Here's what the glossary says about Vith, along with some notes:

Revealed Mythologies posted:

Vith. Eastern Ruling High God, worshipped mainly by lesser gods. Vith1 is God of the East, just as Genert and Pamalt were gods of the north and south. Vith began existence as one of the Cosmic Musicians, and one of the Second Dancers. He is the active life force of the east, and the intelligence and conciousness behind it. Vith made the world when he gave the life force to his two wives, Laraloori2 and Gebkeran3, who disseminated it throughout the world and its inhabitants. Vith is also Father of Gods and Antigods, whom he begot upon his wives. Vith was a powerful and courageous ruler who overcame Dogsalu4 and ruled for the High Gods Age5. He was deposed by Keltari6, and emanated Enevar7, which restored order. Vith then withdrew and left Govmeranen8 to rule. He lives in his palace, Vithalash, of which the great island of Vithela is merely the outer gate.

1: The God Learners indirectly linked him to Aether, the Father of Yelm and primal being of Light and Fire.
2: Sky Goddess and Mother of the Gods.
3: Underworld Goddess and Mother of the Antigods.
4: An early ruler of the Antigods, he took the form of a great dragon to oppose Vith.
5: This would be better known as the Golden Age.
6: Another king of the Antigods. After being defeated by Enevar, he fled to the fortress, Jakamar, in the deepest depths of the Underworld. From here he rules the Antigods.
7: God of Victory, who was sent away by Vith so that Keltari could not claim him. He studied with Govmeranen until he learned the weakness of Keltari.
8: Son of Dogsalu, and ruler of the ancient empire that encompassed the modern East Isles, Vithela, Kralorela and Teshnos. The God Learners indirectly linked him to Yelm.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

occamsnailfile posted:

In the explanation of task resolution you mention that masteries trigger automatically, which suggests that you can't 'pull your punches' at that level. I may be misunderstanding, sorry for being unclear.

Kibner's right. It's all about accomplishing your goals. If your great warrior is trying to travel in disguise, success would be pulling your punches. Failure might actually be a case of accidentally revealing just how powerful you are.

This is covered on page 58 of HeroQuest Glorantha, or page 21 of HeroQuest Second Edition, under "Framing the Contest."

Of course, it may be equally true that a great warrior might actually find it difficult to slip through the countryside in disguise. If you have an ability such as "Famed Throughout Dragon Pass", it might act as a flaw when trying to hold back, representing the danger of someone recognising you, even when you're holding back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

I was just imagining a guy who worships one of the Fire pantheon's martial gods, like Avivorus or Urengerum, getting fed up with Lunar bullshit because he's realized that it's tainted with Chaos, and more importantly, it's not traditional, god damnit. So he decides, "gently caress it, at least the degenerate Orlanthi barbarians hate this Red Emperor as much as I do and they're the only ones trying to do anything about him, so I'll suck it up and see if they'll help me overthrow this unkillable prick so that a proper Yelm-loving Emperor can take the throne."

Avivorus, also called Hastatus, would probably be your man, as he is the holder of the Sunspear. He in fact gained his position on the solar pantheon by loosing this weapon against the foul Emperor Orogoros. This same feat was performed in later times to depose Son of Evil, Eater of Flesh, and Kills for Life.

If any solar cultist would oppose the Emperor, it'd probably a follower of Avivorus. Of course, even then he's probably going to be distrusted by both sides. But that's the kind of thing that makes you a hero.

• Locked thread