Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
:rms:First Annual Goonvitational Post:rms:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3578021&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post425167316

Hello everyone. Recently I have returned to MTG after a long stint away. I became interested again after seeing the new set is mythology themed, which is awesome! And it really feels like a pretty good set so far. So, I decided to look into drafting. I have only drafted a couple times before, and after failing miserably on MTGO my first Theros draft, I came up with the idea to simulate drafts and matches with fellow goons. Best part is, it is FREE!

The purpose of this thread is to organize the group of people interested in this, and hopefully bring attention and more players too it as well. The irc that we will be using is #goonvitational on synirc.

The draft simulator we will be using is drafts.in. It is a really stable program, and the one we have used so far. It allows a great way to put the deck together after the draft. Then, you can export the deck to Cockatrice.

The match simulator we will be using is Cockatrice. The program is very easy to use, and loads the card art automatically. No searching for :filez: like with MWS. The hotkeys are generally the same as in MWS, and a list can be found here http://www.woogerworks.com/index.php/keyboard-shortcuts.

We already have enough interest for 1 pod on most nights, so hopefully we can get multiple groups going. If we do get enough interest, maybe we can even have prize support one day. Once I get this going smoothly, I plan on doing some tournaments or other events with this as well! And of course anyone is free to organize pods on their own time or days :D

If you have any questions or want to help, feel free to email me themummra@gmail.com

:rms:First Annual Goonvitational Post:rms:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3578021&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post425167316

goodness fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
How To Get Started

Mikujin posted:

What do I need?
If you don't already have it, go grab Cockatrice over at the Woogerworks website - they're the guys keeping Cockatrice up and running right now! You can also find an up-to-date file list there if you already have Cockatrice but just need an update!

So this drafting thing, how do we do it?
At least for now, all drafting we do will be done on drafts.in. It provides a simple, easy to use interface, as well as the ability to export decklists right from the draft.

In addition, it does provide hash codes for the deck export. While it's all well and good to use these, it's understandable that you might forget to put a card main deck, or (as happens a lot) forget to add lands before you export your decklist. As such, we ultimately use the Goon Code of HonorTM when doing these drafts.

Ok, cool, how do I get in on it?
Just drop a line in the thread here, or better yet, join us in #goonvitational on synirc. Right now we're putting in a strong effort to co-ordinate these drafts, but if we can build the crowd we'd hope to, then it's not too farfetched to imagine on-the-fly drafts picking up just because we have to people to do it!

Player List

1. goodness (9 ANY)
2. Skizzer (9 T/Th/Su)
3. Synathaesia (9 ANY)
4. Myriad Truths (9 ANY)
5. Evir Gibson (9 Su/M/T/F/S)
6. Loving Life Partner (9 T/W/S)
7. planedriver (9 ANY)
8. a dozen swans (9 ANY)
9. Admin Understudy (9 ANY)
10. Mikujin (9 ANY)
11. Soviet Canuckistan (12 M/T/Su)
12. Ranpire (12 ANY)
13. AbeVigoda (12 ANY)
14. TimNeilson (12 ANY)
15. Mirthless (9 Su/M/T/W/Th/S)
16. Happy Pizza Guy (9 M/T/W/TH/F)
17. lardnar (9 F/S/Su)
18. colbamf (10 Su/M/W/F/S)
19. Null1fy (9 ANY)
20. Music For Cats (9 ANY)
21. Mexican Sandwich (9 M/T/W/S)
22. muon (9 M/T/Th/S)
23. Heatwizard (9 T/Th/S)

Random Information Reference
8 players: 3 rounds
9-16 players: 4 rounds
17-32 players: 5 rounds
33-64 players: 6 rounds

goodness fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 8, 2013

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

For what it's worth, the last time we did it we used drafts.in which works great, can export lists to cockatrice, and doesn't require an account.

That said, I'm totally in for this. I'm available most evenings after 7PM EST, but this isn't set in stone since I do some shift work.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Mikujin posted:

For what it's worth, the last time we did it we used drafts.in which works great, can export lists to cockatrice, and doesn't require an account.

That said, I'm totally in for this. I'm available most evenings after 7PM EST, but this isn't set in stone since I do some shift work.

Yeah we did start with drafts.in, but the interface on drafts.in is not that good and does not show as much information as TappedOut. I forgot to realize that some people might not want to take the time to make an account for TappedOut, but it is worth it. And TO has an option to export to .dec which can be imported to cockatrice.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
Is there interest in doing one of these in a more PST-friendly time? Something like 9 PST (midnight EST) would work for me, whereas I can't reasonably make 9 EST.

Edit: Monday, Tuesday, and Sunday are the best days for me.

Soviet Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 1, 2013

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
I'll be in for this as well, though I'd second the preference for a later time and drafts.in. I've used tappedout for cube drafts with friends before and had some bad experiences with their simulator crashing or dropping a player fairly often, and drafts.in is much easier to build your deck in.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Ranpire posted:

I'll be in for this as well, though I'd second the preference for a later time and drafts.in. I've used tappedout for cube drafts with friends before and had some bad experiences with their simulator crashing or dropping a player fairly often, and drafts.in is much easier to build your deck in.

Ok we can work one of the drafts at a later time no problem. And if the majority want to use draft.in that is fine by me. TappedOut is a lot easier to learn with and build as you draft, but draft.in is really stable.

I will update the op when I am home.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Consider me in. Theros is pretty fun for drafts!

However, I'll probably be in the minority here but I'd do some older drafts as well.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Sure, I'll get in. Goondraft was fun the last time I did it.

planedriver
Jun 2, 2013
I'm keen. Hailing from Sydney so evenings PST or EST are fine.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm in for these, 9PM eastern is fine, would prefer Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays, just throwing in my 2 cents.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I can work this. I can do every day except wednesdays and thursdays

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I'm interested in doing some drafts, even some non Theros ones. I love watching older drafts. Oh yeah, and 9 EST works well enough for me.

Myriad Truths fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 1, 2013

Synathaesia
Jul 4, 2009

it's been a hard day's night
and I'd been workin' like a dog

I participated in the first one, and I'd be game for more. 9PM EST works well for me on just about any day.

Long live the free goon drafts.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
I love drafting and doing it for free sounds pretty swell. I can do 9 pm EST or later on Thursdays, sometimes Sundays and Tuesdays.

Skizzzer fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 1, 2013

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!
As someone who hasn't played in probably 4-5 years, I'm interested. My schedule is pretty fluid so just pick times and I'll show up when I can. That said, later than 9 EST is better for me.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
This sounds like a lot of fun. I should be available most nights, though I do draft at my LGS on Fridays.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Awesome interest so far! Right now we are skewed to players newer to drafting , and hopefully we can all use this opportunity to learn! So when we finally start flushing money down the MTGO drain, we might actually win some games !

AbeVigoda
Jun 6, 2001

Abe Vigoda: Still Alive.
I'm a newbie, but this sounds fun.

Add me to the midnight EST crew please!

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
I'd be interested in weeknights after 7PM EST.

lardnar
Feb 28, 2011
I'm interested on weekends - 9pm EST should be around lunch time Australia time. If anyone else wants to do them, I'm interested in older draft formats too - original ravnica and rise of the eldrazi are supposed to be a lot of fun.

colbamf
Jan 10, 2011
I am very in. I know I'd be available 10 pm EST every night besides tues/thursday.

Kids and Guns
Apr 1, 2013
I'm pretty new to MTG, but I'm up for it. Any night other than Sundays, at 9 PM EST.

Roll of Quarters
Jan 7, 2012

I am also up for magic drafts. Mostly available on Tuesdays and the weekend.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Put me on the list. 9pm est any day

Music For Cats
May 30, 2011

I'm down for draft and sealed any day of the week at 9PM EST.

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Saturday for me.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
I'm down for Theros or older drafts, either 9 or 12PM EST works fine on M/T/Th/S.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I want to do a draft with TappedOut tonight to test stability and such. Probably just draft a couple rounds, and maybe play a game .

9pm Est (15 hours from now)

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

I'd certainly be down for this, but I thought Cockatrice got a cease-and-desist?

If there's still somewhere to get it, I've got Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday free, as well as Friday before 6 pm (pst).

e:

lardnar posted:

I'm interested on weekends - 9pm EST should be around lunch time Australia time. If anyone else wants to do them, I'm interested in older draft formats too - original ravnica and rise of the eldrazi are supposed to be a lot of fun.
I never got a chance to draft original Rav but I heard good things. I was around for Rise, though, and it sucked.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Heatwizard posted:

I'd certainly be down for this, but I thought Cockatrice got a cease-and-desist?

If there's still somewhere to get it, I've got Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday free, as well as Friday before 6 pm (pst).

e:

I never got a chance to draft original Rav but I heard good things. I was around for Rise, though, and it sucked.

Check out woogerworks to get Cockatrice.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

goodness posted:

I want to do a draft with TappedOut tonight to test stability and such. Probably just draft a couple rounds, and maybe play a game .

9pm Est

Still planning on doing this, starting in the next 20 minutes or so. Anyone interested?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I'm good to go.

Kids and Guns
Apr 1, 2013
I'm up for it.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Ok anyone that wants to do it, post your tappedout name so I can invite when I start the game.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Tappedout name is Mirthless.

Kids and Guns
Apr 1, 2013
Tappedout name is KidsandGuns.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Ok, Ill wait 5 more minutes to start it. And I guess we will get 5 random people to draft with.

So this is just to test the stability of the site and practice drafting, we won't be playing yet.

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!

goodness posted:

Ok, Ill wait 5 more minutes to start it. And I guess we will get 5 random people to draft with.

So this is just to test the stability of the site and practice drafting, we won't be playing yet.

I'm DTF as tcjimbo on tappedout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Ok the draft should be up, I think it will invite you.

• Locked thread