Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Singing Chav posted:

Fragile is the Paul's Boutique of NIN. Barely anybody bought it at the time and now everyone fuckin' loves it. Where is that deluxe reissue anyway?

The Fragile is the first album I ever bought - guessing around my birthday and after my older brother had given me his old copy of Broken. Everyone feel old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The diversity of his output lately has been pretty amazing. Dude has clearly shaken off whatever haunted his earlier career and he's infinitely better for it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's on a hard drive somewhere with the Wave Goodbye footage.

I completely sympathize with this aspect of Trent. He's lazy/would always rather be doing something new than finishing a project he started.
It's annoying as a fan but I've done this poo poo time and time again so I can't even get pissed.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

motherbox posted:

Here's hoping our absolute shitshow of a political situation has inspired Year Zero, Part 2.

I kinda figured that was what HtDA stood in for, at least thematically. Wouldn't mind a new album from them too but I'm guessing it'll be a few years if ever

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Earwicker posted:

what was political about HtDA?

Nothing really overly political. More the post apocalyptic imagery. Especially how long. It was very in line with the future implied by the ending songs of year zero.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Fragile is the first album I ever bought, so I'll pay this man whatever he wants to hear it whatever ancient-rear end format he wants me to have to.
I'll buy it on the off-chance it never gets a proper digital release, I suppose. It's not like a limited run NIN vinyl loses value anyway.

drat you, Trent.

Also early prediction is this EP is an auditory response to the Trump victory/lead in to Year Zero part 2.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 17, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

I picked up the ep and the deviations vinyl. It will at least look awesome on my wall, I'll frame it and hang it in my basement.

Ooh, stealing this idea actually. I wonder if the art work is re-worked/unused stuff from David Carson. The typography on the new EP certainly fits his style so I guess it isn't impossible that Trent pulled him back in.

Also interesting to note that it's very specifically "Deviations 1".

Wonder if there's more already in the pipeline.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hbxli posted:

Um so guys, I did a thing where I made an album of NIN songs mashed up with some of the worst music I could think of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwXVEzfIzpo

"When I think of Twilight" is amazing and I'm not convinced it's not something that didn't slip through from an alternate reality where Trent never got over his New Wave face

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Getting more of an Eartling Bowie vibe from this, with the exception of the Blackstar saxes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JbXGqFHpRg

The vocals are doing nothing for me though...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This looks loving incredible.
https://twitter.com/trent_reznor/status/1205634090243776512?s=20

He's going full Year Zero on this one

e:
check out the track titles

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 14, 2019

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hey Trent, this box says 10 minutes until "al dente". What the hell does "al dente" mean?

Trent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H21PyAV4zCU&t=81s

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

Fan-shot secret Webster Hall show footage from 2017 is now online:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0T2PRs9wsk

This really makes me miss going to shows :(

Also!

https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/1346551342332985344

I wouldn't even know where to start with picking what to hope for... loving anything from Outside is a natural fit, of course.
My personal favorite "5:15 Angels Have Gone" would be an incredible for that group
Breaking Glass or Aladdin Sane

How do you pick

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

drat, not many singers find a new vocal register after they hit 50

Good on Trent for continuing to try things/improve. Goddamn.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's quite strange to live in a time when Trent Reznor is a prolific and honored Hollywood composer.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Year Zero would totally work as a stageplay especially if they incorporated multimedia from the early 2000s Bush-era paranoia and we're probably just far enough removed from that for a look back to be hailed as a visionary experience but also The Downward Spiral is begging to be some avant-garde Lynchian experience

He could also just do a semi-autobiagraphical retrospective that'd basically be a broadway best of
really play it up as some new wave wash out who turns to industrial, spirals into a horrible drug addiction, gets clean and is afraid they can't create anymore then culminate with the Mariqueen analogue and the hollywood breakthrough

There are options there even if he doesn't want to start from scratch

just imagine Kinda I want To as a soulful stripped down duet

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Came Back Haunted feels like a callback song and it owns so theory debunked

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He looks like John Marston from the original Red Dead Redemption art

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Walrus posted:

hate to say it but looks like Trent attended the Trump School of Standing in all but one of those shots

Yeah, and Atticus is pulling a major tory power stance.
Maybe they're doing it as a joke
I hope

is Atticus a tory

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Beside You in Time is a rad song

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I had to order Year Zero from my small town bookstore and it blew my mind when the disc changed color in my walkman

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Regardless of the music though, I hope we can all agree the glitch aesthetic loving owns. The pixel tendrils and digital video distortion are rad.

Though my favorite design era overall is definitely the David Carson fragile era stuff.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Discipline is a banger even if it's a little... strange lyrically. 1,000,000, Echoplex, and Letting You, and Head Down definitely all feel like YZ castoffs but that's not to say bad.
It's all kinda worth it for the last third starting with Lights in the Sky fading into Corona Radiata.

Also wikipedia claims it was original planned as an EP which makes sense why it feels fleshed out with some old castoff material but none of it is bad, it just... is very disparate stylistically. It feels like the Nails equivalent of a G-sides album or Tom Waits' orphans albums.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's good. Trent works well with contrasting singers like he does with Mariqueen and the backup singers during that one tour.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

I think Trent has the best batting average of any musician ever with me outside of like, the Beatles who had a perfect run before they exploded.

Bowie and Tom Waits, but Trent has time yet.

I want to see what he's doing in his 60s and 70s

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

polyester concept posted:

cross my heart, i'll hope to die

but the needle's already in my eye

Yeah this is mine
I never could get into "Down In It"
The drums are cool I guess, and the weird chimey sound

Also
Hey pig piggy pig pig pig

And the first verse of The Collector is pretty bad but the song as a whole owns

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I kinda like the title as a pun of him being afraid/unsure to make new NIN tracks after taking all that time off. Came back haunted an even more explicit reference

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's very drat good but I do hope for the next NIN project Trent challenges himself to avoid the electric piano and staccato string patches

Also I may be the only person in the world who wants it but another How to Destroy Angels release would be pretty cool

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I was just thinking it's too bad David Bowie and Prince both passed away, they would have been perfect for this new collaborative time period.
There was a spat of that in the 90s too though
Omikron, Devo Presents Adventures of the Smart Patrol, the Quake soundtrack

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Anthony Vincent of Ten Second Songs did a decent WITT cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg5VMc9DSME

Pretty good, hews a bit too close to the original for what I tend to like from covers but he's got the verses down perfectly.

This really does speak to Trent's range though with the screaming bits because this guy seems to be on the verge of topping out compared to how full Trent gets his high notes in the song.
I've never really thought of Reznor as a particularly amazing singer but maybe I've been selling him short

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Spatchcockers, Inc.
Me, I'm Stuffed
A Warm Place (By the Fire)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Run Dodo Run posted:

He called me a "loving idiot" because I said I preferred Josh Freese's drum sound over Chris Vrenna once. It was in some like, small thread there were only three regular posters in as well which makes it even funnier because he must have spent a good amount of time just reading random stuff. It's like how TDS took so long to record because he kept playing Doom.

That's not even a competition. Freese is light-years more versatile

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A Nine Inch Nailz (e.g. Gorillaz-esque) collab album would be awesome but does Trent like enough people to make something like that these days?

And if he wants to collaborate, why not collaborate with his wife and give us HTDA2

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Happy Hippo posted:

Slam Bamboo reunion now

Might as well throw option 30 in the mix too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeM_jfXxqjA

this cover actually whips and he should do a NIN-ized version of it now

e:
oh gently caress the gyrations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhyyQZ67544

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I don't think Trent is apolitical - more explicitly he is anti-political. He seems to want people to generally have better lives but Year Zero and HTDA are realizing the world isn't going to change and something is going to destroy us, be it the war or the climate or whatever. I think he's just trying to get along in the meantime.

I figure he's somewhere between libertarian and entirely disenchanted left-leaning.

And definitely anti-religious. Can't blame him for that growing up in small-town Pennsylvania, I know that game.

And yeah, The Downward Spiral itself is a concept album about an alienation and self-destruction and self-loathing born from the same sort of rockstar ennui that birthed The Wall when Roger Waters had an "I'm a monster" meltdown.

Actually that would make for a super interesting comparison for folks doing media analysis...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I hedged on disenchanted leftist but yeah that spells it out

hatelull posted:

I want to say there were some interviews around the time of The Fragile where Trent himself referenced that album has his spin on The Wall. In typical pissy boommer fashion, he actually had an encounter with Waters and the takeaway was that of course Roger thought it was hot garbage. I could be totally mis-remembering Mandela Effecting that action though.
Think I found it
https://www.brain-damage.co.uk/roger-waters-interviews/november-2000-revolver-magazine.html

e:
That's a drat good read - a lot more personal than I thought Trent would have been in interviews at the time, and Waters is as aloof as ever.
It's kinda funny that "The Fragile" and "Amused to Death" are both two of my favorite albums and considered underappreciated gems by their makers and exiled from setlists because they didn't move units

Add "1.Outside" to the mix for that matter. If someone ever asks me what was it like growing up in the 90s I will just tell them to listen to those 3 albums in release order.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 12, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

e: wrong thread

But trent's love of viscera makes me wonder how much Tetsuo the Iron Man he watched in the 90s

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Where's "Deep"?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

All Time Low or I Would For You

The album should be re recording with his backup singers from that tour though

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Get weird with it, Trent. Bring on some Things Falling Apart remix versions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU