Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Molestationary Store posted:

Man I want video of those Garson features. :stare:

Almost a decade old by now (jesus really?) but there's this if you haven't seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3TYNXwzHQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

For years and years Trent said that the unreleased Fragile demos were nothing to shake a stick at. Finally we got the deluxe version with a couple of extra instrumentals. I highly doubt there's enough material for a second version.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Rob was always the guy behind the "seed" accounts uploading "unofficial" bootlegs to torrent sites years ago. Wonder if it's him again doing this.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

pitchfork monitoring this thread :tinfoil:

https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/1114219161381634049

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Anyone know how that works for royalties? The entire Ghosts album was under a CC license, but commercial adaptations are not permitted.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Wasn’t NIN without a label during that release though?

E: yeah it was an independent release. I doubt he would have given the rights to Columbia

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 9, 2019

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

HorseRenoir posted:

Trent and Atticus are officially credited as writers and producers on the song, so I imagine they're getting a pretty good amount of royalties from this.

If that is the case, there is no way Trent didn't negotiate for that credit. Nobody would be that generous otherwise.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

'07-08 was a great time to be a NIN fan.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah it seems almost quaint to compare it to the bush administration as it was originally intended.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah it's straight up about one of the drugs in the YZ arg

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Donovan Trip posted:

the industrial dance scene which is the epicenter of kink/queer music
wasn't there a story about robin finck sucking manson's dick on stage or something?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

also: it seems really weird to be talking about this in 2019. who loving cares

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Dude you're reading into poo poo way too much, those are just press photos lmao. It's not like he's constantly posting selfies of them two on instagram every day

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Donovan Trip posted:

I think you're uncomfortable with even the idea he's bisexual

this is definitely it, you got us. :downs:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

writing lyrics about kinky poo poo and dressing androgynously does not equal coming out. why are you so loving fixated on this?

also,

Donovan Trip posted:

It's caring about what one of your favorite artists lifestyle

being gay or bi is not a lifestyle

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

axelblaze posted:

I was this many days old when I looked it up and found out Pinion is an actual word. I always just figured it was "opinion" without the O or even "minion" combined with "pin"

this is cute

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

This is just further proving my theory that Trent is a closeted car guy.

A Violet Fluid is transmission fluid

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Donovan Trip posted:

Mariqueen is preggo again. Their bull is working OT

i thought he was gay

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

It’s creative common only for non commercial purposes, hence the anxious call from their manager as it was blowing up.

Reznor’s response “don’t be a roadblock” is his way of saying “make sure we get that bread”

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

depeche mode is goth too

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

just do what record labels would do when they'd send 45 singles to radio stations, scratch out the b-side or any other tracks they don't want played on the radio

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

trent, release the tension tour bluray

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8-sNYkFpt8 🙏

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Is the original version out of print or something? Is there any reason to buy this if you already own the original? I didn't think the album needed remastering

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I expect used prices will drop now. I bought it for like 25 bucks when it came out, it's mind blowing how the price has skyrocketed (same with demon days and a lot of other mid 2000s albums)

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

its very good. the initial disappointment was that it wasn't the fragile 2. lmao that people thought a 6 year wait between albums was a long time back then.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The thing that sticks out most to me about that album is how hard the drums hit. They rule. Of all the NIN eras, I loved that the most about With Teeth. I don't wish he would go back to his addiction self loathing past, I wish he would just use live drums again instead of a drum machine.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I just watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and it got me wondering - has trent ever spoken about why he moved into the Tate house to record and the significance of the Pig references? Was he just being a 20-something edgelord?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I think the real estate guy tricked them into getting that house, since no one else wanted to buy or rent it. So they said gently caress it, and then it was only until they got there that they realized it was the Sharon Tate house iirc

I just realized how weird it is that Manson makes a guest appearance in the video for Gave Up, shot at the Tate house, given the origins of Manson's stage name.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

So he was just being an edgelord. Okay, that's fair.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Isn't that sort of thing required to be disclosed upon a house sale, though? I mean, murder aside, if someone died in a house, don't realtors have to tell you about that? Or is that a dumb bullshit tv-fact that isn't actually true, like the 'one phone call' thing when people are arrested?

Trent: Yay, bought a house.
Someone: This was where Sharon Tate was murdered.
Trent: Oh yeah? Cool!
Tate's sister: No, not cool, she was my sister.
Trent: You are right. Not cool. Sorry. :smith:

Is this basically how it went down?

Except add in that he named the studio Pig, which is what the Manson family wrote on the wall of the house in Sharon Tate's blood, and it likely went on to inspire all of the Pig/Piggy references on TDS.

Found the interview:

quote:

While I was working on Downward Spiral, I was living in the house where Sharon Tate was killed. Then one day I met her sister. It was a random thing, just a brief encounter. And she said: "Are you exploiting my sister's death by living in her house?" For the first time the whole thing kind of slapped me in the face. I said, "No, it's just sort of my own interest in American folklore. I'm in this place where a weird part of history occurred." I guess it never really struck me before, but it did then. She lost her sister from a senseless, ignorant situation that I don't want to support. When she was talking to me, I realized for the first time, "What if it was my sister?" I thought, "gently caress Charlie Manson." I don't want to be looked at as a guy who supports serial-killer bullshit." I went home and cried that night. It made me see there's another side to things, you know? It's one thing to go around with your dick swinging in the wind, acting like it doesn't matter. But when you understand the repercussions that are felt ... that's what sobered me up: realizing that what balances out the appeal of the lawlessness and the lack of morality and that whole thing is the other end of it, the victims who don't deserve that.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Am I alone in thinking that 90% of all TR&AR's soundtrack work is too samey? Like when the social network came out it was a breath of fresh air because at least it was different than most other scores, but to me most of everything they've done sound like an extension of Ghosts I-IV and a little Hesitation Marks. I get that's their signature sound but I have stopped listening to most of their soundtrack work beyond an initial skim through because there's just not much interesting going on.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I completely forgot we got Not So Pretty Now and Non-Entity studio versions on the NINJA sampler.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

IUG posted:

This is more like one of the soundtrack albums, and not really like the last Ghosts album. Ghosts as a bit more experimental and the tracks were more varied from track to track. Almost all of these are minimalistic piano pieces. Granted, I'm only on track 8 of 15 for the second disk, but I don't see it changing in the just the back half of the second album.

yeah, this. percussion has always been a huge part of NIN's music for me. two whole albums of ambient music is not really my cup of tea :(

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Met an IRL guy who legit thought cash released hurt first. I thought they only existed online

He also genuinely said daft punk was dubstep, so

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

easy and cheap way to achieve a chaotic feeling to match the music. im sure a lot of it was diy too because nobody was paying industrial acts any money for music videos in the early 90s

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

time feels longer when you are a teenager, plus in a time before internet and infinite sources of other music for basically free, it seemed even longer.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

magiccarpet posted:

look at all of these people forgetting about the quake soundtrack

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

who else has the 12x12" album art posters that you got from joining the spiral fan club a while back?

iirc they sent out PHM, broken, TDS, the fragile and with teeth posters. they also had embossed features that made them stand out from the regular album art. There was also an art is resistance styled poster for year zero as well too I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Touring with Savages' Jehnny Beth :swoon:

Hopefully they can reschedule those dates