Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009

Otisburg posted:

Having tried some proxy transwarp let me tell you that it's pretty boss. Being able to choose between 4 and 6 ahead on the reveal allows for some tricksiness, almost like a verticle sensor echo, and the flat-out speed of it allows for some cool stuff to occur.

You don't even have to eject a female crew member to do it. I used that maneuver in a friendly game yesterday to inch out just far enough for a rear torpedo shot while maneuvering the D in position to hit 2 of 3 Klingons with antimatter mines.

Has anyone seen someone in OP4 actually attacking the planet? I think maybe 1 of the players in mine did, while the rest of us treated it as pure deathmatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009
We use that FAQ in our OP because we're all rules paralegals.

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009
One of the guys who routinely finishes 1st or 2nd in my OP group just bought a set of these acrylic templates to replace the ones his students bent up.

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009
I'm thinking about trying another two ship build with a flagship and the Excelsior.

Excelsior - 26
Sulu - 4
Transwarp Drive - 3
Spock - 5
Photon Torps(5dmg) - 5
Engage - 3
Total points: 46

Reliant - 20
Flagship - 10
Khan - 5
Scotty - 5
Joachim - 4
Photon Torps(Dominion) - 5
Antimatter Mines - 5
Total points: 54

Using the flagship that gives +1 attack, agility, & shields, as well as a free battlestations and +1 def to friendlies within range 1.

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009

Otisburg posted:

I like that. You're really working the crit there.

Even flagshipped it's going to be a fragile ship, though. I'd consider running it with the Kraxon.

It did okay on first trial, though Sulu got targeted first. The rest I did with 3 defense die and maneuvering. I'll definitely have to give the Kraxon a try with counterattack after I get Dukat.

I'm also thinking of replacing the photons with plasma torps. Sacrificing the extra range for re-rolling blanks seems like a fair trade if it means more battlestations for crits.

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009
You planning to use the Koranak to prime OWPs for destruction? I don't like the tech upgrade cloaks. I wouldn't like to have to re-enable them after use, and the hull on ships that don't typically cloak is lower than the usual suspects.

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009
Those fighters do look fun. I'm thinking about trying a 2 ship Cardassian build with it.

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009
The OPs at the game store I go to are run by my friends and do exactly that. An OP kit is like $35 for our store's owner, and he makes the money back from 7 players. Not to mention, we all buy our ships nearly exclusively from him.

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009
I really want to try out a suicide bug build with Kirk, Uhura, Cheat Death, and I Stab at Thee. I'm thinking I might run it with the Krayton and another bug. Naturally, I'd have to speak in a Zek voice as DojiSuave does whenever he narrates the Ferengi's actions.

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009

Otisburg posted:

It's actually surprising that with all the millions of books and games and tie-ins no one has named the commander from Balance of Terror.

I like to call him Mark Lenard.

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009

Gropey C posted:

Resource: Flagship Independent (Klingon) (10)
Borg Sphere 4270 (40)
Jean-Luc Picard (7)
Flagship (0)
Counter Attack (4)
Mr. Spock (6)
Feedback Pulse (8)
Ship SP: 65

I.R.W. Praetus (14)
Donatra (4)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 24

Total Build SP: 99

It's things like this that make me hate cross faction lists so much especially when it comes to the borg sphere. Being able to create a durable monster that can evade, regenerate, scan (effectively offensive battlestations), and have some of the best movement

Counterattack doesn't work on 360 degree fire arcs. They've FAQed the 360 as having neither a forward nor rear arc. http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15440746#15440746

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009
There weren't nearly as many Borg players as I expected in my game store's Tholian Web OP event. I managed to come away with 1st place using high manuverability and low captain skill to force my opponents to bump and lose actions repeatedly.

Borg Sphere 4270 (40)
Tactical Drone (3)
Seven of Nine (4)
Borg Ablative Hull Armor (10)
Borg Tractor Beam (7)
Cutting Beam (8)
Feedback Pulse (8)
Ship SP: 80

Resource: Fed Fighters (20)

Total Build SP: 100

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009
I had plenty of tractor locks on ships, but I didn't end up firing the beam on them. I was focusing fire on ships, so my fighters got a lot of the glory on ships unlucky enough to be held down.

In general I have had few issues setting up the beam. It gets exponentially easier once you get a traffic jam in the middle of the board, which is almost my goal now. I know if I cause a jam, I'll get to move first and most likely cause my opponent to bump even more or give up any tactical advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009
Turnout in my area is steady. In fact, we added two new regulars this month. We had to split into two OP groups since the new format kind of hard caps at 10 people. The guy that won this month in my group was actually fed pure, minus the blind ship.

• Locked thread