Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I've been playing through the campaign and some 1v1 multiplayer and I noticed a couple things that the terrible reviews haven't mentioned

1) They launched this game with no ranked matchmaking lol. I'm either getting busted by a blademaster in the first 60 seconds or I'm building my 2nd expansion while an announcement pops up that my opponent's level 1 hero has died to creeps

2) If you use cheats in the campaign you can still unlock all of the portraits

zug zug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

I didn’t buy the remaster, and I never got into multiplayer, but the siren’s song of unlockable portraits and checklists has gotten me to revisit the campaign. I completed a few human missions and the tutorial so far, but the checklist on the collection screen isn’t showing those specific missions like it does for the achievements in other Blizzard games. Is this intentional? I also don’t seem to have the three demo missions, which are required for one of the portraits, that IIRC were in the custom campaign tab? Nothing is in there now.

If I understand what you're asking the checks work in reforged

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Another dumb thing I noticed. At the end of each campaign mission you get the

Continue
Quit Campaign

button menu. They both lead to the exact same score screen.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Question for people that have been playing SC2 or WCIII not reforged: When you play a matchmaking game as Random race and you get a win, does it count as a win toward just random portrait unlocks or also a win for the race you played?

I could have sworn you used to get credit towards both but it's been years since I played either.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

ErrEff posted:

This is several pages back now but I really want to comment on it. The original just looks better:

- Cracked dirt has depth and shading that perfectly conveys what it is, despite using the same color palette as regular dirt. It's instantly readable.

- Dark and light patches of grass mesh well together in all configurations, layering on top of each other.

- The trees, finally, have large bases and are bunched close together to create the illusion of a forest and undergrowth.

When you contrast that with the new art in Reforged (and remember, the screenshot has the same map with the same terrain tile information) the differences are huge. The new assets just don't fit - the grass patches barely flow into one another, instead getting harshly cut off and the depth is gone; the cracked dirt is now just regular dirt with a different color, and some of the tree models are too thin or small, exposing the ground beneath and ruining the illusion.

It's loving amateur hour. All they had to do was plug in upgraded assets that still conformed to the originals, and they failed at that.

Also: Contrast.

In the original version there was something very satisfying about about felling a big chonky tree. It was more like a board game piece which I think is appropriate. The new ones look awful and the bare patches look like a budget cut came down as the model artist was 80% done

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

There's no ladder or ranked matchmaking and definitely no tournaments

still lolling at that actually

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

It says "Blizzard has left the game" in addition to the player every time someone leaves a versus game

Thanks for letting me know I guess?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

little munchkin posted:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/warcraft-iii-version-1321-patch-notes/19379

still no ranked but we're getting close to a functional product now that players are capable of doing things such as loading into a game, viewing the stats screen, an sending private messages. Hell, they even added fog of war.

if i'm lucky i'll even manage to load into matchmaking games more than half the time now

It's the golden age of instant wins right now when 4v4 matches finally load and someone has already left

They need to do some sort of versus cooldown system for leaving in the first 3 mins, detect afks etc.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

A nice fix would be a chime or something when the match actually starts. Right now there is just a horn fanfare for when the lobby is ready. It often takes 1-2 minutes of silent and static load screen as the last player's pentium pc chugs along. When the game actually starts you might get some low ambient sounds but at least with the night elf soundtrack it's starts so silent you won't know if you're alt tabbed out.

Even a loading bar for each player would be nice so we can see when we're getting close.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Its really hilarious that war3 in 2002 had this but remake in 2020 does not

Yeah it's been over 10 years since I played TFT but I thought I remembered that and also displayed ranks on the load screen.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Frustrated posted:

Also, I tried to play some last night with a friend. Basically all of the Battle.net 2.0 features are broken. My friends list was empty and all that showed up were a bunch of empty black boxes with no functionality. My friend and I had to join a custom channel to see each other and join a party. It's unbelievable how garbage this is from every angle.

How about automatically dumping you in General Chat window takes up an uncollapsable quarter of the screen when navigating menus. It overlaps and obscures much of the campaign menu.

I also received a few hard r nwords in game which I was surprised about (the lack of filter, not the lack of bigots)

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'm getting a desync and immediate drop in about 50% of my games. Good times

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

Did they remove Furion's old model? He emerges from his barrow den on the back of a stag lmao

nah I remember that from the original

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Months in, still no ladder lol

I loled more and more as I read the patch notes. It looks like they spent all the time between launch and now fixing unit portrait bugs

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

uniball posted:

i thought you were a crazy person for convincing yourself of something weird like this but i checked and it's true. Work Work is played back slower in reforged. lol

Didn't bliz say at some point that they would rerecord all voice acting? I wonder if this was some sort of penny pinching effort to meet that goal before they nixed it altogether

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I just slaughtered my ally's hero on accident. Korean text doesn't show up in game when you hover your mouse over a unit, which is usually how I double check bad guys in a skirmish, because their text shows up red. His showed up as blank and based on his positioning and movement it looked like he was fleeing me and then I thought it was funny how he wasnt attacking me.

If I get banned for griefing that will be the icing on the shitcake that is reforged

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

did any mobas even attempt to deviate from the 3 lane, corner bases format?

Footies if you count that

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

danjal posted:

Have they gone and fixed any of the issues with the re-release?

I want to buy it, but the stigma it has makes me very weary about buying it.

Reforged multiplayer is significantly improved with the color adjustment but it's still hard to tell what's what and there's NO OFFICIAL LADDER LOL

BlazetheInferno posted:

I think they finally re-enabled offline singleplayer, at least. So there's that. Or rather, single-player without having to do it as a multiplayer lobby.

I found a funny bug yesterday. I created a custom game under single player mode then tried adding my friend so we could play a warmup against computers. The option is there to add friends but it just sent him immediate "failed to join game" messages over and over. Had to go to custom games through the regular menu and that worked just fine.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Very thoughtful of them to keep the bug where replays double display your own chat messages

e: also you can't reverse playback or skip backwards. You have to reload the replay

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 20, 2020

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Tubgoat posted:

I remember that part, but here's the thing: when I got my computer several months ago, and WC3 was in sepia-tone, it was loading so drat fast that I temporarily forgot how hosed this all was. Now that it's in color, it's running like it did post-ruination-patch but on my old (6-year-old computer).

Maybe change your settings to 256 colors

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

RIP old gyro model. You were much better.

Just to clarify, when people were looking to drop in games back in the day (it used to say waiting for ____), people would spam individual letters one at a time to cause them to drop. Anyone familiar with this behavior? It was rampant in RT. Anyway, my question is: would this really cause people to drop/lag out? It was obnoxious as hell

p. sure I used to do this in both starcraft and wcIII but I was a punk kid

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Where does Grubby play? He made a comment about having to play against bots or against battle.net (same thing) so it sounds like he's not playing there. I do see tft games in Gameranger

W3Champions. I've been enjoying his youtube a lot lately.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

So what's the current state of affairs with WC3 Reforged? I loved the original and am thinking of picking it up. I understand it's super underwhelming compared to what was promised, but all I want is the original game sharpened up a bit and otherwise left alone. Is it that, or is it a supremely broken version of a game that was already fixed?

Edit: Before anyone suggests I instead get CnC Remastered, I already purchased it.

There's nothing redeeming about Reforged so far but they added native widescreen to WCIII in 2018 so if you haven't played in a while just patch or like me buy Reforged and only play classic settings.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

jokes posted:

I still don't know how it works. I bought Warcraft 3 many years ago, am I allowed to play my video game or do I need to buy Reforged for some reason?

You can play

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The Starcraft remaster looks like a lovely mobile game

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

obese retard posted:

:shrug:

I mean, considering that most remasters are basically just improved/remade assets overlaid on top of the already existing engine and graphics I don't really know much more can be done short of remaking the whole game from the ground up. I feel like 2D/sprite based remasters are the ones that tend to be least impressive overall. At least things have improved in contrast to years ago when "HD" versions of games were first being released where they would just throw some kind of Photoshop smoothing feature over the artwork and call it HD.

The look just never appealed to me. I think seeing a trailer with high def cartoon mutalisks juttering around in the old frame rate looked cheap.

I think they had a cool opportunity to make some beautiful pixel art and maybe make the animations more articulated.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Pararoid posted:

Is there some non-scam site that sells WC3 CD keys? I refunded Reforged but one of but friends didn't and now I can't find my old CD keys so I can load them into Battle net.

The annoying thing is that he does have original keys loaded onto his account, but they're used/useless now.

Someone probably sells this original battlechest still

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

People should absolutely be mocked for enjoying Blizzard's post wc3 output. Though I think they're taking us aboard their ruse cruise.

Hearthstone was fun when it came out. Diablo 3 adventure mode was fun for a brief period. Wings of Liberty multiplayer was fun.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Every post-Warcraft 3 Blizzard game suffers from too much writing. Their stories are fine in dribs and drabs, but no one in the company has the chops to write a plot that serves as more than a framing device of "this is why these groups are fighting."

I blame WOW lore nerds.

Trying to think of a good blizzard character or story that isn't corny or overwrought. Maybe the "it's a zergling, Lester" cutscene.

I honestly can't believe people like anything about WCIII story or care about retconning. TFT is even worse.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Anakin's fall is actually pretty well-written - he makes a series of mistakes and bad decisions because he's an inexperienced jedi doing real work for the first time. He gets frustrated by his little war not turning out to be an adventure full of glory where all of the bad guys are smote and nobody dies, so he quickly starts to crack under the pressure instead of accepting that "the best job" does not necessarily equate "a perfect result".

Overall, his descent is a pretty believable transition from "the means justify the ends" to "the ends justify the means".

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sorry to derail but does anyone know if reporting does anything on Battle.net?

I'm kind of tired of pepes dropping the n-word and RAHOWA poo poo every other match

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I never played D2 but the opening to Lord of Destruction is probably my favorite Blizzard cutscene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp20voR11gs

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

in over 50% of 4v4s I play someone is afk or leaves before the load screen finishes

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

MrKatharsis posted:

I just got this game after being out of it for 13-14 years, and so far in 4v4 the opposing team has all dropped out within the first few minutes of the match. Is this normal?

Yeah. There's no disincentive for dropping out so people derank, peace out when the load time is too long, or avoid matchups with players they dislike.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

One of the most common is creeping with your ancient of war early on to get fast XP and good items. You need it uprooted because it's tanking and it can eat trees to help heal.

You can wall off and uproot an ancient if you need to move past the wall

You can eat a tree to heal or clear a path. Ancient Protectors sneak attack, hidden tree of life in attrition game.

Uprooting changes armor type which can make an ancient more resilient vs siege

Taking a new base after you deplete a goldmine is a good strategy and happens often in late games especially if everyone is low on funds

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think they weren't even going to have base building because they said such and such percent of the time spent is "players building their bases". Turns out people really like building their bases. I honestly want to see the opposite universe wc3 just for a bit

Myth: The Fallen Lords and Soulblighter did this really well. There were hotkeys for unit formations!

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

If you enjoy a good smurf matchup, one of today's Grubby videos is top notch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoSaLtdazoE

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I recently had a nice game where a guy with a special character name continuously spammed the n-word so thickly the game wasn't visible and everyone had to leave because they couldn't figure out how to mute him

Unsurprisingly I wound up playing him more later in the week. Despite, I assume, everyone reporting him.

Completely unrelated, WC3's twitter hasn't updated since April 2020.

https://twitter.com/Warcraft3/status/1255545020582518785

No ladder, no cooldown for leaving, no AFK detection, apparently no reprisal for team killing or abuse. Dead game. I'm installing W3 Champions as we speak but I wish they would support the regular game even the slightest bit

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I need to remember to buy sappers more often. So satisfying to pop a bunch of moonwells like grapes while the enemy is occupied somewhere else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

uniball posted:

totally agreed that reforged hosed up a ton of stuff in amazing ways, but worth noting that for years before reforged you could not play 3s or 4s AT. it was not possible due to a tiny playerbase and a queue system that basically discouraged searching, and then for a while before reforged they actually fully broke AT serverside.

now it is possible to play AT, both technically and in terms of playerbase. we haven’t played for almost a year now for various reasons (including frustration caused by some gameruining bugs like Stun Hex, Bridge Desync, and Serverquit) but that was a big deal for clan towa. we got a solid few months of wigs out of it which was wonderful after years of almost nothing

FWIW they seem to have solved the desync issues at least