Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

BlazetheInferno posted:

At the very least, we can hope that animations improve before release - they do say art and such aren't finalized right there in the trailer.

But yes, this has me very excited. HD Warcraft 3!

I wonder if any of the old Warcraft 3 custom content will be compatible with Reforged, or if people who wanna make custom content for it will have to start from scratch?

From the official press release via Wowhead
https://www.wowhead.com/news=288360/warcraft-iii-reforged-what-we-know-pricing-spoils-of-war-edition-and-more

Blizzard posted:

Warcraft III’s dedicated community of mapmakers has kept the game thriving since it launched in 2002, and Reforged boasts an improved World Editor highly influenced by an ongoing dialogue with this talented group of creators. With countless new tools and features, the World Editor will set mapmakers free to craft new universes for players to enjoy. Existing custom maps will be playable in Reforged, and players will be able to use the new matchmaker to find partners or opponents for traditional melee and custom games.

definitely going to try and finish that advance wars port I started when the last big patch hit.

e: ummm, so about that editor revamp...
cause the current one is a little broken in 4k

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I'm just hoping the new editor does the thing the wc2 editor did with the wow models, so we get a huge variety to play with. Think of all the maps that used those lovely custom made starcraft models and imagine them with the real deal.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

DrBox posted:

It's an interesting style choice to go for way more realistic portrait and unit animations. The more 'cartoony' style seemed to be a hallmark of the game and carried over into WoW. It's especially funny when certain cut-scenes in the latest expansion had super over the top talking animations as a nod to War3 and Starcraft, and now this remake has gone totally the other way. Looks great though.

I wish they would do an HD remake of War2. I know the game play doesn't hold up or whatever but that's till my favourite. Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

I have so much nostalgia for wcii even though I didn't play it until long after 3. Theres just something about the art style and voice acting that just keeps it fondly in my mind.

On that note, RIP all of the manly, unhinged jaws of warcraft 3. You will be missed.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cephas posted:

it's gonna be wild when mobas for the WC3 remaster overtake HotS in popularity

I'm really looking forward to playing Rival Nations, Castle Defense, and all those goofy Lord of the Rings maps again. Oh and that weird game, I forget what it's called, where you can choose to either create a single beefy hero or get to create a base and an army, and you go around beating up creeps until you get strong enough to take out other players.

Kings and knights?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Most of the time unit selection is not that big of a deal in Warcraft 3 because you are mostly microing your hero while your other units know how to keep formation on the move and autocast, and there's probably not more than two groups of units in most cases. Units in SC1 meanwhile have a hard time going from point A to B, making the gameplay "deep"

Okay, but imagine having decent selection sizes on custom maps. Which given how people received wc3 isn't a thing you can ignore.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, considering how a major plot element of wc3 was that racism was bad and each faction had good and bad eggs(excepting the undead) and that WoW dilutes each race onto a single stereotype I think that won't turn out great.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The dragons were also ridden/trained/enslaved by orcs. It just didn't show up on the unit sprite.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Eh, not really. The first two games whole involvement is: there was a war. The orcs lost. Which the game communicates fine.

Most of the prior backstory of import is the camps the orcs start off in which isnt explained at all in any of the games.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Which is a load of dung.
I played the campaign! She didn't get that skill!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

McTimmy posted:

I know one of the strategies for offensively winning the RoC final was just sniping acolytes til the undead ran out of resources.

It was less they ran out of resources and more that they scrapped their old base every time they captured a new one. So if you let them take the human settlement and then blitzed down the workers and necropolis there the enemy couldn't actually build anything to attack you with.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The oil tanker, transport and catapult are all technically orc designs/crews even if they don't show up in model. But yeah, a big point of warcraft 2 was both factions turning into big huge alliances of dudes instead.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Basically once you unlocked them, ranged units were obsoleted.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yes, because you'd often find games occupied by only the bot host and people new to the game would just be left wondering why no one ever joined the games they hosted

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Have they given any news on editor changes? I vaguely remember revamping it as a selling point back when it got announced although maybe I'm just crazy

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah. For how much they put into announcing it, theres been a huge shortage of any kind of attempt at building hype for the eventual release. I think they released some concept art after the blizzcon announcement and that's it?

Doesn't bode well for it coming out soon.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

My advice would be to try some custom maps online, the hero system and robust editor with direct access to its scripting language let people make some really fun stuff back in the day

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

THE BAR posted:

Oh my word, are they serious at 10 minutes in?

I went back and looked. Oh my god that was hilarious.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Galaxy is them just going "well people loved world edit because it was so powerful and could do lots of cool stuff right?" And then doubling down on that logic.

It can indeed do lots of cool stuff in engine. It also took me something around 40-50 files to create a chain lightning spell that leveled up. It's by far the least user friendly map editor blizzard has put out.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

My favorite thing is that the map maker is mad someone... played his map? Like the guy apparently didnt edit it, he just played a map from the campaign?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

This is totally gonna be done by December.

Seriously though, what the hell has stopped blizzard from owning up that this is way tougher than expected and that it won't be out on time? It's so patently obvious that's the case there's no reason to hide it now.

Unless the suits are going to force it to release come hell or high water, because there is no way spending more than projected on development could increase revenue overall.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Those goofy rear end jaws were amazing. Warcraft was not a serious series and it never should be.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Well aren't you entitled? What next, are you going to tell me you were expecting something resembling a game a little under two months to their released by date? :rolleyes:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes.... that's why I said that :cheeky:

There's a public beta, there's gameplay all over youtube the gently caress are you on about?

Also, I remember when you'd get probated for posting this. Nobody cares.

Theres a beta featuring two races out of 4 that crashes frequently. I think the guy laughing at the lack of meaningful development or announcement has it on straighter than you.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Are peeps leaving because they're bored or got ground out of all their resources?

Typically when players encounter being cheesed in a way they can't beat people get angry and quit. Often accompanied by posting angry messages at the dude(s) who caused them to rage quit.

In all seriousness though, I've never understood how people get that mad at a game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

:roflolmao:
I forgot the original had a fertility idol. Put it back you cowards.

And more importantly, goddamn that human build icon losing the backdrop is going to drive me batty.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I can't wait until this wonderful, finished product is released.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Are the DKs supposed to be invisible and noncorporeal?? :stare:

It's a bug. From my understanding they added new female death knight models with the new graphics, but didnt account for the old graphics not having those. So the game cant find a model to render and thus interact with.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Zinkraptor posted:

So this comes up a lot but was this ever really a thing? World of Warcraft was an absolute unfinished mess at launch and, from what I've heard of Warcraft III (mostly from a friend's recent playthrough), it sounds like that game is kind of janky as well - although that could just be the game showing its age.

I'm not very familiar with Diablo II or Starcraft, so maybe that's where it comes from?

Their record is about 50/50 for it starting off good or just being good from the start. Starcraft balance was pretty wonky before the expansion for instance. Warcraft 3 was one of their solid at release games.

That said, this looks like it'll be a dumpster fire at launch and won't get extended support like a new game would so I doubt it will ever be anything but destroying a game people loved. Literally. To play warcraft 3 without the last couple of patches that broke things requires going out and pirating an old version or getting used disks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

It is odd none of the human heroes were changed.

BM should definitely be made a girl character for maximum salt. Have her voice lines be about hataroi blades and glitter.

But enough about kael'thas.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Oh hey, they put the editor and customs in. Anyone seen if they did much with either of those?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I mean, to their credit that's not necessarily a lie. From what I understand most people call it quits before the game hits 3 hours.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kith posted:

Yes. You are drastically, drastically underestimating how many people bitched about how Reforged was retconning the story and was ruining their nostalgia.

But god knows how many years of wow had already done that? The changes were to ones that had literally already been done.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

BattleHamster posted:

I think there's a pretty big distinction to be made between retconning through new games versus going back and replacing elements in a older game. None of the changes that WoW makes have any effect on Warcraft 3 as a standalone game, nor are they required knowledge to enjoy the story in Warcraft 3.

Say for example that Sony Pictures decided they were going to remake parts of Terminator 2 with a different director to match the canon of the proceeding films, and that was the only version you would be able to easily obtain going forward. Wouldn't you find that at least a little hosed up?

I get what you're trying to say, but I'm too busy laughing at you spinning that scenario together when you could have just said "lol, the star wars remasters"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kith posted:

It's about nostalgia, nothing else. Nostalgia is why they made WoW Classic happen, and nostalgia is why people want the original Warcraft III story to remain - even if it's not "accurate" to the modern depiction of events, they just want to re-live their previous experiences.

At this point WoW is so old that running a warcraft 3 campaign stratholm that more closely mapped to the wow dungeon would be just as nostalgic for a larger audience.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kith posted:

I took another look at more side-by-side model comparisons and something I really noticed was the art team's habit of introducing new colors and generally brightening up units. Dryads had grayish-purple deerparts. Reforged features light brown instead. Dreadlords were primarily black with a white face, probably as a reference to Nosferatu. Now they're extremely pink.

It also really bugs me that the Samuro model lost its TC pants. It has even less team coloring than it did before.

It's very... not readable too. I played a round of pyramid escape, and the minigame where you have to count the green skeletons or whatever was stupidly hard with the new models

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kith posted:

Remember how I said that the Warcraft III Custom Map community was still going strong?

Yeah, not so much anymore. Reforged's launch was like a nuke going off.

It's such a shame. I guess the execs that are left are still salty over dota.
:(

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kith posted:

The biggest reason why is that the use of Non-Blizzard copyrighted content is now prohibited. I'm not kidding when I say that some of the most impressive feats of JASS were accomplished to build a better Goku - many of the maps that use Copyrighted Content broke ground on some really cool effects because they were labors of love trying to recreate things that either didn't exist or were nearly impossible.

Now that Reforged has launched properly and will be replacing the original instead of being in a nebulous state of "the original is its own thing and Reforged is different", all of that work is literally useless and the knowledge used to create them will likely disappear because the maps themselves are banworthy.

Well, yes. But the reason Non-blizzard copyrights are unavailable is that Blizzard wants control of the maps right down to distribution and hosting. Because they want as much claim to any financial reward for making a map possible(All of it). It's a part of why SCII didn't kick off a huge custom map scene like WCIII did.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Revitalized posted:

drat I kinda wish I had done some research here. Nothing wrong with WC3, but I thought it would get QoL updates similar to SC2 like being able to group select more than what is it, 14 units or something? Or showing your command groups over the console to remind you what they are. Just QoL things.

Does the Starship Troopers custom map still exist? That was my childhood favorite.

If it does, it won't for long!

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/KalebPrime/status/1222365505459191809

Not only has Blizzard made a crappy remaster, they've made Warcraft 3 worse, retroactively.

Check out those last two bullets

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Servaetes posted:

It's such a bummer that first rule is identical to SC2's. Just like SC2 I was thrilled at the idea of new use map settings games coming from playing them in SC1. Realistically you'd want to just keep the pool open so if some obsessive dork makes another DotA level map you can approach them and hire them for their genius game

poo poo I remember making a few SC1 custom maps and WC3 mods seemed impossible to figure out and SC2 looked like a full blown nightmare.

I wonder if super heavily customized maps like YouTD would even work with Reforged. Can you just upload your old maps from WC3 to Reforged?

It seems like in the whole DMCA takedown world it's harder to pull off a vast majority of the stuff WC3 custom maps did. If they did things wild west style like they did with original WC3, couldn't they still be culpable if a map maker did say, a Fortnite clone? Or would Fortnite's owners just go directly after the map maker?

Ask me how many loving files it took to make a chain lightning spell you could level up.

And vanilla warcraft 3 was all local hosted, so the most involvement blizzard had was putting the players in a lobby together. The map downloaded from and ran on the hosts machine.

With the modern setup, blizzard wants to actively host and control every game, so they would be both distributing and running any copyright infringement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I can look when I get home, but I dont think I have the map anymore. I think it wound up being 40-60 or something stupid like that.