Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I just went and re-bought this game when I saw this thread, I'd love to play some of those old custom games again. I have especially fond memories of DBZ Tribute (Even though 90% of it was grinding monsters) and Civilization Wars. Oh, and also the LOTR maps, though I think I only managed to get people to play through the whole thing once.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Lacklustre Hero posted:

It's time we got our poo poo together and organised some games

That'd be great, we should probably put in some suggestions for times though. Let's start basic, is there any day of the week that most of you would prefer?

I'll be available at just about any time for the next few weeks.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

A good session, played a couple games over a few hours of waiting, A+ on the recreation of the Warcraft 3 custom game experience.

Seriously though it was a good time spent and I look forward to the next session.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm up for it, though I can't do it this Saturday.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

The Naga were ludicrous. In the mission The Brothers Stormrage, I always just defended my Night Elf base and did all the assaults from the Naga side.

That's how you're supposed to do it; there is no way for Malfurion to actually reach the important undead bases, he's purely there as an extra lose condition. His flyers are disabled, which is weird because his justification for being there is to keep the flyers off of Tyrande.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 27, 2014

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Outside of a couple of bastard missions (just cheat through the undead finale) WC3 is a fairly easy game on normal. I'm not sure that the custom games are that much of a bonus anymore considering the community is almost completely dead and most of the really good custom maps have been turned into their own separate games.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

All of those elf missions were an awful grind as they all had twice as many bases as was interesting to push through. Actually, pretty much all the undead campaign missions have that problem of taking way more time than they should.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The trick is to basically have Arthas do it by himself with a couple ranks in divine shield. Focus the meat wagons only and you'll be able to kill all of them with a bit of hit & run.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Jsor posted:

I found that on hard at least, it's really important to take out the undead bases that share Malfurion's island with him, and then build a ton of ancient protectors on the northeast ridge. It's just not feasible to survive long enough to beat it with Illidan without doing so.

I have never done anything besides load malfurions base up with archers and mountain giants and then stop paying attention until its under attack. Destroying the bases always seemed pointless and difficult so I just did enough to keep him alive while pushing as hard as i could with Illidan through the southern undead bases.

Keep in mind that I'm not actually good at this game and can only barely beat all the missions on hard.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's been awhile since I've done that one but I remember it being extremely frustrating and also may have involved simply memorizing when he would attack which base. I think I just loaded up the humans with knights riflemen and mortars so I could attack move into the base while microing my undead side. On hard the central base was way too loaded with bullshit so it would always take like five assaults to finish it.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

ZergFluid posted:

Just logged in to my Bnet account to update my beta signups preferences and Warcraft 3 is one of the options. A fair number of gaming news outlets are speculating about a Warcraft 3 re-release. Hopefully Blizz will be updating it to 1080p.

Since I love giving money to Blizz and I haven't played this game I think I'll buy it for whatever they charge.

Anyway, Why is Warcraft 3 so revered?

It's a good strategy game with a fantastic campaign and the custom maps scene was pumping out tons of good poo poo. The community stayed alive for many years thanks to the variety and surprising quality of the custom games. While it's still technically alive today, good luck finding enough people to play anything without a half hour in the lobby.

If you play or have played WoW, I'd say there's a lot of value in seeing firsthand how that all got set up. The stories of Arthas and Illidan in particular help add to their respective expansions.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm playing through the campaigns again and I'm beginning to wonder why I loved it so much when nearly every mission makes me go "this was the worst mission". Then again I've only gotten to the undead final mission so that's probably just a result of the undead campaign being generally garbage.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

You should really make sure to regroup a small, clear distance from wherever you want to fight, or your units will stream in one at a time like retards. But yeah for awhile it just feels terrible going back to the godawful WC3 pathing, you'll get used to it again.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The elves really didn't get any unique buildings and their unique units were just reskins of other units. The Naga had unique units and buildings and workers and a hero, so I'd have to go with the Naga as the most likely 6th.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

ManOfTheYear posted:

Probably not, it's my first day of playing a rts game. I'm getting better, but what basically happens is that I don't have powerful enough army to either attack nor defend, it's the same deal both ways.

If you have no experience playing RTS games at all, I'd definitely suggest the single player campaign, or at least the tutorial + first few human missions, to get used to the game a bit without being overwhelmed by all the complexity of the full game.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

From what I can remember they both sucked but Are You a Retard had a better joke going for it with trying to figure out if the author instructions were being sarcastic or genuinely helpful, with plenty of opportunities to laugh at less experienced players.

I guess it doesn't matter either way since you shouldn't have been playing anything other than DBZ Tribute and Uther Party.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think it's Dark Deeds but I didn't play that one too much.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

I've started replaying the WC3 campaign and it's so drat good. The Key of Three Moons is kind of bullshit on hard though.

gently caress those 3 missions vs the elves, they're all a god damned grind and it always feels like you don't have the right set of units for the mission you're playing. Nothing interesting happens story-wise either, it just feels like they had to pad out the size of that campaign.

Also gently caress the finale for the Undead campaign, it's the hardest mission in the game and it isn't even close.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

The other two aren't so bad. In the first, you can control the defense by only busting open one path through the trees and the third is easy if you don't let any runners through. The Key though....

I didn't find any of the three hard, just annoying and time-consuming, but yeah Key of the Three Moons is on a whole other level of bullshit compared to the other two. As a whole those 3 missions are just a huge pain to go through on a re-run, hard mode or not.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Jsor posted:

Half the TFT Undead campaign is kinda bullshit, IMO. The Sylvanas missions are almost all extremely difficult on hard. The only one I find pretty easy is the one where they give you like 10 free minutes to get 80% of the way to victory. The last time I played, I gave up on the one where she and Garithos have to take out a big undead base in the center. Not looking forward to that one in my LP.

I actually enjoyed the Garithos mission a lot, I just wish the bases weren't on exact opposite sides of the map. Maybe putting them both on the left side with some kind of unpassable wall in the middle (possibly an optional quest to destroy the wall too?) would have worked better for me. That and making an "optional" quest to complete the unit set up for the human base made it a significantly larger pain in the rear end than it needed to be.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It took me so long to beat King Arthas on hard that I ran out of gold for Arthas on that mission. gently caress that mission.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Define manipulating the AI, because I won by:

1. Making sure I always had 2 control points, both of which had a fuckton of towers on them to slow Illidan's attacking force down long enough for me to respond.
2. If Illidan's force is too strong to beat back, simply build up and take the closest control point that he is not sitting in.
3. Wait for Illidan's attack, crush it, then immediately attack Vashj's base
4. When Vashj's base is destroyed, switch to Kael's base.
5. When both assistant forces are destroyed, switch to taking a control point after each Illidan attack.
6. After about 2 hours, win.

Could probably skip destroying Kael's base if I was better at microing and better at anticipating attacks on my base.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

So I got to the first Human (well, Blood Elf) mission and uh, is this as poorly designed as it seems or did something get hosed up somehow? My first worker doesn't have enough lumber to finish repairing the first Observatory (I assume that's why he refuses to anyway) so I have to leave it 100 health away from repaired, trek alllllll the way to the new Great Hall I put down, harvest 20 lumber with said worker so I can build a farm and then do so, build more workers so I can harvest more lumber, then trek back to the first Observatory and finish the last 5%? What pointless tediousness is this?!

You should have enough to finish it with your starting lumber. Did you build that great hall yourself or was it from the tiny castle in the first supply cache? If you built it yourself then you've hosed up. Get the caches in the starting area and the southeastern areas, they're vital for speeding up the base building aspect of the mission.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's fun to watch these replays of people getting super mad about towers, knowing full well that I was one of those people. I went up against one of those tower strategies like the only time I tried the ladder and got so mad that I stuck with customs only for the years I played afterwards.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

so how bad is wc4 gonna be.

0/10 game, because it's never gonna happen.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I have bought warcraft 3 three times, the second time because my brother melted the discs and I got a new computer, the third because I forgot my original battle.net login, so gently caress it I'll buy this a 4th time.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Some of those animations are terrible. None of the attacks look like they have any weight to them.

Compare the Tauren swinging at the building 14 seconds in. His totem just gracefully floats a 180 degree arc on his wrist with no impact or sense of inertia. Uther's warhammer strikes are the same way.

Compare them to the animations found http://classic.battle.net/war3/orc/units/tauren.shtml and http://classic.battle.net/war3/human/units/paladin.shtml where it looks like their attacks have some weight to them.

Yeah it's a while away, but some of that doesn't look very good at all at this point.

I agree with this though, I much prefer the weight and impact of the original animations. They look like they're doing the WoW thing of swinging vaguely in the enemies' direction with no impact point because you can't be sure of the exact angle the opponent is at.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 2, 2018

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Azran posted:

Weren't death knights undead orcs?

Orc warlocks souls stuffed into the bodies of human knights iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

With how long this year has felt I'm more surprised it didn't come out five years ago.