Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Of all the things retconned out of Warcraft 2, I think the one I miss the most is Cross Island.

Seriously, whatever happened to Cross Island? Dalaran used to be built on an island literally shaped like a cross. Just completely abandoned once Warcraft 3 rolled around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Huh. Someone on Hive Workshop put out the Reign of Chaos campaign modified to what is basically Archon Mode from SC2.

They also say they don't use the tedious "remember this code!" save/load system for carrying over heroes. I'm leaving for work as soon as I post this, but I'm curious to test it out and see how that works...

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
If it's the remake I'm thinking of, I remember realizing that the scale of the maps is way higher in that remake than they are in WC2. In short, the maps are bigger, but unit size and things like sight and attack range did not increase to compensate. Resulted in, among other things, buildings that were attackable from the shore in WC2 being out of reach in the remake.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Huh. So I've just encountered something... strange, replaying the WC3 campaigns.

For some reason, everything above that red line... the game refuses to recognize as Blight, despite, well... yeah. I can build stuff like that second Necropolis, but anything else... nope. It's strange. Any idea why? And it very specifically cites the need for Blight as the reason I can't build there.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
At the very least, we can hope that animations improve before release - they do say art and such aren't finalized right there in the trailer.

But yes, this has me very excited. HD Warcraft 3!

I wonder if any of the old Warcraft 3 custom content will be compatible with Reforged, or if people who wanna make custom content for it will have to start from scratch?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Dude, I can't wait to see Rise of the Blood Elves and Curse of the Forsaken in Reforged, then.

...Though anything with Custom models and textures will... obviously require some work.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

I have so much nostalgia for wcii even though I didn't play it until long after 3. Theres just something about the art style and voice acting that just keeps it fondly in my mind.

Warcraft 2 was my introduction to the Warcraft universe. I owe so much to it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I just figure Timmy's a common name and there are a bunch of little Timmy's out there.

...The one in Stratholme in WoW wasn't quite so "little".

Cicero posted:

I wonder if they'll remove the 12-unit selection limit. They didn't for SCR, but the limit never felt integral to War3's balance the way it did for Brood War.

I can almost guarantee they won't - they've said Reforged will be able to play with Frozen Throne players the same way Starcraft Remastered players can play with regular Brood War players, which means that if they remove or increase the unit selection limit for Reforged, they would have to do so for Frozen Throne too, and I don't see that happening.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 5, 2018

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I feel like redesigning map geography, adding things like Meathook, extra little touches to the map are what they're talking about with any changes.

They're not gonna do anything that would require them to re-record new voiced lines, I would imagine, so don't expect any sweeping story changes. This is still the Warcraft 3 story they're telling. Maybe Sylvanas' special-banshee will show up in more than half a mission, and that's what they meant by the reference to her? Maybe she'll be stronger in that half a mission she appears for? Who knows? I, for one, am eager to find out.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Blizzard have said existing custom maps will run in Reforged. Pretty sure Warcraft 1 & 2 have been remade as custom campaigns for Warcraft 3. So there we go?

Custom maps will run, but anything that uses custom assets, like models and textures, or custom UI skins, will likely be unable to use them in Reforged.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

Which is a load of dung.
I played the campaign! She didn't get that skill!

Segregation of Gameplay and Story, my friend. If she had the Possession ability in-game in her Banshee form, you would lose her after a single use, and she would be gone forever. Naw, if she's gonna possess anything or anybody, it's gonna be her own drat body because no other body is deserving of her glorious wonderful spirit.

Okay, I'm just gonna go sit in the shame corner now after typing that.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Chopstix posted:

They’ve stated that they will redo the voiceovers too

At the same time, they also want there to be an option to still use the original voices, so they're not gonna be doing any big script re-writes.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

Old gyro loving owned.

I'm honestly more upset about the Gyrocoper's STATS getting nerfed to become the Flying Machine than I am about the model/name change.

Gyrocopers were goddamn strong.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zwiebel posted:

As far as I recall, the Alliance Gryphon Rider in Warcraft III even makes a direct reference to Warhammer.

That particular line actually got dummied out at some point. He just skips right past it when you're clicking through his annoyed quotes.

The line is question is "This warhammer cost 40k, hehehe!"

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The thing to keep in mind, in RoC, casters' DAMAGE was upgraded when you upgraded them as well, so not only are they doing piercing damage, they're doing better piercing damage the more you upgrade them.

Combine that with massed Shamans spamming bloodlust, and you've got a pretty drat potent army of ranged attackers on your hands, together with whatever murderhappy hero you've chosen to slaughter your opponent with.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zillions magazine posted:

Anytime any game has a release date of a specific year it almost 100% never means Jan 1st of that year :shrug:

Especially when the actual given date is "on or before Dec 31st of this specific year".

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

I said come in! posted:

low effort remaster

Have you looked at literally anything from Reforged?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
As an aside, I'm replaying the Rise of the Blood Elves custom campaign right now.

I just beat the last mission, but I just wanna say, General Tiras-alan is a dick.

So, little bit of background for people unfamiliar. Rise of the Blood Elves is an honestly very well made custom campaign as the Blood Elves, complete with custom, complete tech tree. Plot-wise, it picks up immediately following Illidan's defeat by Arthas at the end of Frozen Throne. The first level consists of dragging Illidan's beaten rear end back to Hellfire Citadel, dealing with rebellious Fel Orcs, securing Outland, then moving on to other stuff. It goes through the Blood Elves liberating Quel'thalas from the Scourge and killing Dar'khan Drathir (with assistance from Sylvanas and the Forsaken, also with a custom tech tree and with their own campaign taking place after Rise of the Blood Elves), and then finally going through the basic plot of Burning Crusade, except replacing the Player Characters of the MMO with the Blood Elves in RTS form, led by Lor'themar Theron. Illidan is fought and killed in the Black Temple, Kael'thas is defeated in Tempest Keep, and culminating in the assault on Sunwell Plateau by the Shattered Sun Offensive.

Right, now you're up to speed. So, in that Sunwell Plateau map, there is a side objective to clear out one of the smaller enemy bases so that your Draenei allies can get in, build their own base, and start helping out as an AI Ally. They bring a hero with them, General Tiras-alan. Now, he is smart enough to grab items and use them. There are a few Demon Portals that will open as the map drags on that will drop tomes when destroyed. If you're slow, or don't notice them, he will absolutely swipe them for himself.

Of note, in Warcraft 3 campaign fashion, one of your previous heroes who is unavailable for the last map gets their inventory dumped on the ground in your base for your other heroes to pick at and take what they want. So, at one point in the map, my main force is off somewhere else attacking the enemy base. An infernal from one of those demon portals shows up in my base, so the few units I have there start fighting back. Except most of them actually do magic damage. So they can't hurt the Infernal.

To my joy, I notice Tiras-alan marching into my base! Hooray, he's come to help kill this loving infernal! Then I notice he's grabbing that pile of items that I actually forgot to pick through for the good stuff. Oh well, my heroes are kitted out pretty well anyway. He can have that stuff.

And then I notice... Hey! He's LEAVING! Without helping fight the Infernal!

That dick! He didn't come to help at all! He just went "ooh, items! DIBS!" And hosed off!

rear end in a top hat.

(He did help out in other ways, but still. It's the principle of the thing.)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Warcraft I is not a very good game and I don't recommend it unless you need the nostalgia hit. II is... Not too bad for an RTS game from 1995.

As a huge Warcraft fanboy, I agree with this assessment. Warcraft 2 is fun, but the age of the game really shows in a lot of the mechanics, though the Battle.net edition added a few much-needed features.

Warcraft 1 though... I'd say it's worth a playthrough purely so you can appreciate just *how* bad it actually is by today's standards. Can only select four units at a time, no right-clicking, Catapults and toptier Summoned units are blatantly overpowered...

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don't really like the change toward making undead do more micro with an ability to sacrifice undead (???). But whatever, it's my understanding that undead have historically sucked in competitive.

It's certainly interesting what they're doing with Necromancers. Unholy Frenzy is now a LOT more potent, despite having a bigger cost now. Sacrifice an undead unit (...they're necromancers; you're gonna have plenty), and then applies Unholy Frenzy in an AoE. That's huge.

But now, Raise Dead requires their first upgrade, and a weakened Cripple is their initial spell now. It's a pretty big shakeup.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
When it was announced, all they said was "By the end of 2019". We still have six and a half months to go before they hit their initially presented deadline. Relax, folks. It'll come.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
We're still five full months away from their initially announced "released by" date, people. Be patient.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I don't pay attention here enough to know how many people here pay attention to WoW, or ignore it and stopped at Warcraft 3 or something, but I just want to rant about something. There are two Custom Campaigns out there that translated the plot of Burning Crusade, and Wrath of the Lich King, into an RTS format, and they are both really drat cool.

The former was made a Blood Elf Campaign, covering the aftermath of Illidan's assault on Icecrown, then retaking Quel'thalas, then finally Kael'thas' betrayal, in a sort of three-act campaign. A couple of OC's in the mix (one of which is basically a replacement of Halduron, and while he's talked about considering just replacing said OC with Halduron, I don't know what his plans are with that), one of which gets a little bit spotlight-y, but a lot of the spotlight does indeed go to Canon characters like Kael'thas, Liadrin, and Lor'themar. Sylvanas even shows up to help during the retaking of Quel'thalas! There are a couple of moments where he grabs dialogue from WoW, but aside from Unit Quotes, it's mostly subtitles-only.

The Latter is a Forsaken Campaign. Both this one, and the previous campaign feature full custom tech trees for the Blood Elves and Forsaken. This one starts with Sylvanas dealing with the Scarlet Crusade, with Balnazzar's reveal and Varimathras' betrayal getting taken care of early on. Obviously this means a few major events are changed around; Varimathras pops up again to setup the Battle For Undercity as something to be dealt with before the expedition to Northrend can begin, and is unrelated to the Wrathgate, which does happen about when it should. After the initial arrival in Northrend, there's some perspective hopping as a few important events throughout Northrend are dealt with as the Horde and Alliance for a couple of levels.

And I would just like to say, the second-last level of the Wrath of the Lich King Forsaken campaign is possibly my favorite level, custom or otherwise, in all of Warcraft 3. It's a long slog of a mission, and every moment is glorious. Both the Horde and Alliance are present as your allies on the map, and they're important; they genuinely accomplish stuff, and will work together, defend you, and assist your assaults. But they need your help too - and even with two allies, the map is *REALLY* challenging. Because this level is you all fighting to get inside Icecrown Citadel, and the Lich King takes the field *personally* from time to time, and the mapmaker has gone on record saying his appearances are inspired by Kerrigan's appearances in the last level of the Wings of Liberty campaign in Starcraft 2; in short, a huge "OH poo poo" moment that creates genuine tension and a sense of urgency, between his mechanical presence, and the fact that the music that cues up when he spawns helps hype up a big "IT'S GO TIME MOTHERFUCKERS" feeling. It's a great level in a great campaign that pulls *TONS* of audio from WoW and Heroes of the Storm, and I want more people to know about it. Case in point, I just posted basically the same thing in the WoW Lore thread because they *are* translated from WoW expansions after all.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Rise of the Blood Elves:

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/rise-of-the-blood-elves-v3-0.245153/

A few issues I know about that are a result of Warcraft 3 patches after the latest version's release:
- The campaign used to open with a cinematic cutscene - due to changes in how such cutscenes were stored, this no longer plays. A future update will remove this entirely, as the mapmaker has not been able to figure out a workaround.
- The campaign uses a custom Blood Elf UI; however, it was not designed for Widescreen, so the edges cut off, and the gaps are filled in with the default human UI.
- The Blood Knight unit's custom model/textures were broken by a patch; it has reverted back to the Night Elf Watcher model with a sword attached to its glaive-arm.

Tomoraider has also expressed a desire to create a large overhaul of the plot to improve it, but that would be reserved for a 4.0 version, rather than a 3.1 update.

Curse of the Forsaken:

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/curse-of-the-forsaken-v3-0-1.228049/

This one *has* been updated somewhat to account for the patches, and the Cinematic Cutscenes have been removed; there was previously an option to CHOOSE between in-game cutscenes or the cinematic ones; the choice has been removed, and you simply get the in-game cutscenes now. They're still good. Shame though, because the cinematic ones for this one were REALLY well-editted and put-together; the Rise of the Blood Elves cinematic was just the Burning Crusade cinematic. Also, the Blood Knight model isn't broken here. (The Forsaken didn't have a custom UI for Widescreen to break)

(as an aside; a couple of Varian's abilities cause him to shout as part of the ability's sound effects; prior to the most recent update, this noise was GLOBAL, causing that amazing chapter I mentioned before to have you listening to Varian screaming all throughout the chapter even when he's nowhere near the camera. It was both funny as hell and kind of annoying, so I'm simultaneously relieved and saddened that this was changed.)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Sadly he has no plans to make any other campaigns; there was briefly an idea for a Cata campaign, but it didn't work out and the idea was swiftly dropped.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Eregos posted:

There's some good sc2 custom campaigns, I played a couple, Subjection and Mass Recall (played the latter several times) both were fun. The most comprehensive list is probably Jayborino's.

I'll agree that he's got a good list - one of the reasons he started branching out into other games was because he was running out of decent custom campaigns to play for Warcraft 3, Brood War, and SC2.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I haven't tried the Warcraft 2 remakes, but I've seen the Warcraft 1 remake. One is notable in that is does a good job recreating Warcraft 1 mechanically within Warcraft 3. Whether this is a good or bad thing is... up for debate.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, curious what your peoples' take is on this.

Person on youtube with hacked reforged beta makes videos showing various campaign and custom maps. Extracts a single map file from one such custom campaign for that purpose. To show what it looks like in Reforged.

Mapmaker sees this and is *furious*. At first it's unclear whether he just hates Reforged, or if he thinks the guy is claiming he made the map or something. Turns out extracting the single map from the campaign triggers the "You edited my content and published it and I am not okay with it" response.

Personally, I feel that flipping out over someone just taking a single mapfile out of a campaign to record a video of playing it is silly and frankly unreasonable; he didn't touch the map itself. But what are your takes on this?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Worth noting: When Blizzard said they would not be re-recording old dialogue, that doesn't mean anything about not recording NEW audio. While it's unlikely for existing characters to get any new lines that weren't recorded (whether they were used or not) for the original game, new characters being added in the Reforged Campaign, such as Anasterian, may in fact get some dialogue. After all, they had to record new unit quotes for stuff like the Female Death Knight skin.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
There are official forums for Reforged. Not sure if you need Beta access to post there. You probably do. But then, if you've pre-ordered it, you quite likely have Beta access by now. Or will soon.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

genovefa fedelmid posted:

Was this discussed here? I can't remember and can't find it if so. The story won't be retconned after all.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/11/1/20944518/warcraft-3-reforged-story-retcon-world-of-warcraft-wow

They backed off on both that, and re-recording old dialogue. This doesn't mean anything about not having new dialogue for things like new unit skins (see: Female Death Knight) or, hopefully, things like Anasterian and Thalorien's cameos. They have also confirmed that, while the story will not be retconned, levels will still be getting a redesign, with further confirmation that some levels' redesign will be more extensive than others.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

Theres a beta featuring two races out of 4 that crashes frequently. I think the guy laughing at the lack of meaningful development or announcement has it on straighter than you.

Three races, actually.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
it's not unplayable, but there are a few bugs along the way. A couple of levels where your hero loses their inventory, for example. But it's absolutely playable. Youtuber Jayborino just recently did a playthrough of the original campaigns (reign of Chaos right through to the end of the Frozen Throne undead campaign) on Hard Mode.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

jokes posted:

I still to this day have no idea why I have never been able to host games in Warcraft 3, despite a relatively sophisticated understanding of networking nowadays.

There was some port-forwarding bullshit you had to do back in the day to be able to host games, but that's not true anymore. Anyone should be able to; though depending on what you're hosting and when you try, it's entirely possible that people simply might not be interested. I've had that the last few times I've tried, but I did get one or two people poking their heads in occasionally, as if reality itself was going "no, you can, you're just unpopular"

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
My understanding is that they're not retconning plot elements and such. That doesn't mean the maps won't be getting redone. Like, WoW-layout Stratholme is still happening. You'll still be able to choose between original campaign and Reforged version.

And I'm okay with that. I'm genuinely excited to see what changes will be made to the maps, even if they won't be quite as sweeping as they might have originally potentially been.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Note: Plot points not getting retconned does NOT prevent them from overhauling a lot of maps. Very few plot points are integrally integrated into map layout.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
On a personal note, playing through the campaign, I've made it as far as the start of "Dissension" in the human campaign.

Aside from the issues with Grom, purely looking at adjustments to the campaigns themselves, I like most of what I'm seeing. The bottom of the previous page mentioned the very awkwardly-done, badly-spliced "Hellscream" over any instance of "Grom" being spoken, because apparently they're trying to erase the use of "Grom" as a shortform of Grommash for some reason. Plus my existing gripe over his tattoo, but that's a smaller detail. I wouldn't be quite so annoyed with the removal of "Grom" if the audio splice weren't so badly done.

The only other detail I'm remotely "ehhh" on is a small dialogue change in Stratholme. The original dialogue between Arthas and Uther went: "They may look fine now, but it's only a matter of time before they turn into the undead!" "What?!" "This entire city must be purged." "How can you even consider that?" etc.

They moved the "What" to after the "purged" line. So now, it's just "What?! How can you even consider that?" and Uther just completely ignores the line about the people turning into undead.

But everything else I like. Balance and stat details in the ROC campaigns have been made consistent with Frozen Throne, and other mechanics added. A healing glyph that doubles as a lore reference drops from the bandit ambush by Benedict in the first Arthas level, with Benedict's forces being labelled as the Syndicate, with the name of the Glyph referencing Perenolde. Menag, who previously hurled fireballs from his axe for some inexplicable reason, has been changed into a rogue wizard model. Apparently all the huge tree barriers to the secret mob camps in Human Mission 2 have been removed, so you just need to stumble across the path. In the Hearthglen holdout, they give you a Captain (named "Sergeant" instead), and your priests start out with Master training (at least on normal). In the first Northrend level where Arthas finds Muradin, the captain is named "Captain Marwyn", and the captain in the following level is named "Captain Luc Valonforth", matching the name given to him in the WoW quest in Dragonblight during Wrath of the Lich King.

And many other small details, to say nothing of the complete map overhaul of Stratholme. As a Warcraft 2 veteran, I greatly appreciate that they gave the city a Harbor/waterfront.

EDIT: I felt like being an at least somewhat positive voice; yes, Reforged is by no means a perfect product. It is flawed. But that doesn't mean it didn't get anything right, either, and I feel that we should praise what we *do* like about it, and not focus exclusively on the bad.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Okay, to whoever said "The interesting changes stop after the human campaign", gently caress you because I'm in the middle of the Fall of Silvermoon (gotta stop, bedtime cause I work in the morning), and the changes to this map are awesome. I get that there are gonna be less fun details like I found sprinkled through the human campaign, but holy poo poo I love what they did to this level, just the first half of it in dealing with Sylvanas.

Edit: Man, I hate feeling like the only person who actually likes the new graphics. I think they look nice. :(

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Now, I'm not as disastrously offended by Reforged as some people, as I am genuinely getting enjoyment out of it. However, I also enjoy jokes and memes.

To quote someone on a Discord server I'm on:

Behold, the release of Reforged summed up in a single screenshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cuntellectual posted:

This is the same dumbass who felt the need to tell everyone to gently caress off if they didn't believe the original campaign wasn't significantly better in reforged.

Actually, my "gently caress you" was to people claiming no interesting changes had been made to anything past the human campaign. At the time of the post, I had been playing the Fall of Silvermoon, which is one of the levels which received a more significant overhaul, and frankly I greatly appreciate what was done to it.

I have opinions of people who, for whatever reason, dislike the changes made to the campaign, but those do not involve me telling said people to gently caress off, people are allowed to dislike things.

Please don't put words in my mouth.